Mentor Cardinals Football 2020

Evan Harper is the X factor on this offense. He is averaging over 20 yards a catch. On just 15 receptions, he has six touchdowns. If the coaching staff can find a way to build on that Kipp-Harper connection over the next few weeks, that will go a long way. If that is in addition to a continued resurgence in the running game behind Kipp and Coughlin, this offense has the potential to be as good as any in NEO...if not the state.

Will be nice to get Vernon back sooner than later. Mentor probably doesn't truly "need" him to beat Brunswick, Medina, or St Ignatius. But it sure would help.
Shouldn't need him this week. Medina or Ignatius will be a challenge though. Mentor can lose that one if they don't play well

I'd say Mentors ceiling is making the title game and losing This is if region 2 is our final 4 opponent. I'd say the floor is beating Brunswick and losing next week.

I mean the state title game is on Friday the 13th so maybe that will be the strange day luck to beat a power like PC or St X?

Evan Harper is the X factor on this offense. He is averaging over 20 yards a catch. On just 15 receptions, he has six touchdowns. If the coaching staff can find a way to build on that Kipp-Harper connection over the next few weeks, that will go a long way. If that is in addition to a continued resurgence in the running game behind Kipp and Coughlin, this offense has the potential to be as good as any in NEO...if not the state.

Will be nice to get Vernon back sooner than later. Mentor probably doesn't truly "need" him to beat Brunswick, Medina, or St Ignatius. But it sure would help.
Mentor doesn't have the one standout WR like Floriea, but the strength of this group is the starting 4 are all capable of taking it to the house on any play. You can't just try to shut down one WR. Without a doubt, Harper can become that bigtime WR next season with the other 3 graduating.

Mentor doesn't have the one standout WR like Floriea, but the strength of this group is the starting 4 are all capable of taking it to the house on any play. You can't just try to shut down one WR. Without a doubt, Harper can become that bigtime WR next season with the other 3 graduating.

No they don’t, but Harper seems the closest thing to it. He has been the fifth receiver at times on the team. I wonder why that is when he clearly has the most big play potential on the team. I like the receivers. They are solid. Nobody is an All-District talent, but all are solid. Kipp needs to find that next level and stay there in order to guide Mentor to their goals.

Mentor didn't have the flashy RB or stud WR, but this 2020 team was solid at every position.
Snow should be bigger next year and has a bright future. Evan Harper should be a stud WR next year. Michael Norwood and Sean Allgood should move up to starting WRs. Panhorst returns at RB. RT Ethan Bostelman and LG Danny Call return on the O-Line. Brandon Ryan is huge and should be able to step in at RG and Michael McClure is ready to be the next beast at LT and will just be a junior next year.
Vernon and LoDuca return on the D-Line, and Matt Savor can play the end opposite of Vernon. Aiden Fellows is the lone returning starter at LB, current sophomore Kaydn Burkholder should be ready to also start at LB next season. Aiden George returns at SS and Mentor has a big group of Junior DBs to challenge for the starting defensive backfield openings.
Mentor should be in the mix with Medina and the Saints In Region 1 again next season.

Mentor didn't have the flashy RB or stud WR, but this 2020 team was solid at every position.
Snow should be bigger next year and has a bright future. Evan Harper should be a stud WR next year. Michael Norwood and Sean Allgood should move up to starting WRs. Panhorst returns at RB. RT Ethan Bostelman and LG Danny Call return on the O-Line. Brandon Ryan is huge and should be able to step in at RG and Michael McClure is ready to be the next beast at LT and will just be a junior next year.
Vernon and LoDuca return on the D-Line, and Matt Savor can play the end opposite of Vernon. Aiden Fellows is the lone returning starter at LB, current sophomore Kaydn Burkholder should be ready to also start at LB next season. Aiden George returns at SS and Mentor has a big group of Junior DBs to challenge for the starting defensive backfield openings.
Mentor should be in the mix with Medina and the Saints In Region 1 again next season.
What is the approximate height and weight for Snow. I didn't buy the PC-Mentor game last night once I heard about Kipp. That really is a shame. I feel for him, his family, his football family, and Mentor football nation. And from the sounds of it, Mentor had a REAL chance to win if Kipp starts. I am a believer. Anyways, I did buy and watch Avon vs. Avon Lake and was treated to a great game.

From someone that doesn't have a dog in this fight I thought Mentor would get rolled without Kipp. First to admit I don't know the players as well as others but Snow did fantastic job keeping Mentor in the game. Once he settled down he was impressive. He will only get better. I have to admit I have never been a fan of Kipp and I believe Snow will be a better QB than Kipp before he leaves Mentor. Which is scary. PC just had more athletes. PC had to have over 100 yards in penalties. PC didn't show me much if they truly are the #1 in the state. QB is terrible and that is being polite. Snow out played him. I will close with this. 2020 or not I just don't think Ohio has the dominate teams of decades past. As a whole not just D1. I think football in Ohio is down over all. For what ever reason and I just don't mean in 2020.

What is the approximate height and weight for Snow. I didn't buy the PC-Mentor game last night once I heard about Kipp. That really is a shame. I feel for him, his family, his football family, and Mentor football nation. And from the sounds of it, Mentor had a REAL chance to win if Kipp starts. I am a believer. Anyways, I did buy and watch Avon vs. Avon Lake and was treated to a great game.
In the Mentor Gameday Program, they list Snow as 6'-1", 195#. Ian Kipp is 6'-3", 210#.

After the way Snow looked , I agree. They have a shot to be a top 4 team in region 1 next year. That's encouraging

Do they have another rb in the system to complement panhorst? He's pretty small and don't know if he could survive a full year as the only back.

Also yesterday showed a 4 man line should be the Mentor base. Dline is developed best of any position on our defense. Specifically DE. The linebackers are not coached well and we often have opponents break into our secondary if they get past our first level

Loduca was criminally underused this season. Unless mentor has studs at LB like 02 and 03, there shoudl never be more than 3 lbs. Heck they can do 5-2 sets at times or a 4-2-5 and probably be better . Especially with how many tackles are missed

Congrats to the team on a successful 2020. It was a wild year for everyone. The team was dealing with injuries to their top two offensive players early on (Kipp and Coughlin). The team faced a sever injury to their best defensive player (Vernon) for most of the season. They were transitioning in the first post-Triv season. All of that said, the team did as well as anyone could have expected. They still were the class of the GCC, including beating Medina/Brunswick a second time in the playoffs. The close loss to St Eds was a hard fought game they nearly held on to. The loss to PC was understandable considering Kipp was out and how talented the opposition was. They fought hard to the end. That was a tribute to Gray, the coaching staff, and the seniors.

Speaking of the seniors, hat's off to you all.

QB Ian Kipp - He is right there on the short list with Tadas Tatarunas, Thom Abbott, and Conner Krizancic in that second tier of all-time great Mentor QB's. With a full normal season and an opportunity to play all the way through - who knows how his career would've ended. He will be playing football at the next level, most likely a MAC school. Kipp has 9 playoff wins and a 5-2 record against Ignatius/Eds. He was 19-0 in the GCC. An all-time great football player at Mentor.

RB Riley Coughlin - He battled through injury early in the season, but by the end he showed what an important part of this offense he had become. His balance of power and speed was good enough to keep Mentor as one of the top offenses in the state

The four senior receivers all played an important role this season. All were steady in running routes and were very sure-handed. There wasn't one individual that stood out in the ways that some of Mentor past receivers were able to, but all did their jobs and gave Kipp four reliable options on every play. Best wishes to Baird, Depasquale, Sierputowski, and Coode

Colao, Shea, Zalewski - These three senior linemen were all returning starters from an excellent 2019 offense. They were the anchors for this offense and helped pave the way for success in a season without Floriea/Trobel, two of the best playmakers in Mentor history. These three will probably all receive some kind of All-District mention, and Colao (a three-year starter) will probably have a shot at All-State. All three will be missed.

Cardina/Predina - These two experienced defensive linemen were a major part of Mentor's 2019 success on defense. They were a big part of the reason for optimism in 2020. Both did their jobs all season, and especially stood out in the Medina game. Being a three-man front all season is a disadvantage, but these guys helped make the most of it. Having to do without the talented Vernon joining them for most of the season put a lot more pressure on their production. I thought they answered the call.

Boyd/Gladish - The two most productive players in the back seven, and the only two with real varsity experience. Boyd had a very strong season and I expect him to be the only player from the back seven to get All-District honors. Gladish had a nice season too after an injury took his entire 2019 season.

This was a solid senior class that had pieces that contributed to two Region 1 championship teams.

After the way Snow looked , I agree. They have a shot to be a top 4 team in region 1 next year. That's encouraging

Do they have another rb in the system to complement panhorst? He's pretty small and don't know if he could survive a full year as the only back.

Also yesterday showed a 4 man line should be the Mentor base. Dline is developed best of any position on our defense. Specifically DE. The linebackers are not coached well and we often have opponents break into our secondary if they get past our first level

Loduca was criminally underused this season. Unless mentor has studs at LB like 02 and 03, there shoudl never be more than 3 lbs. Heck they can do 5-2 sets at times or a 4-2-5 and probably be better . Especially with how many tackles are missed

LoDuca was one of the best 11 on defense and should've been in the lineup all season. A four man front would've changed the complexion of the season. Vernon can have a monster junior season if used correctly in a four man front.

Snow's success yesterday was encouraging. Gives him the confidence that he can be the "next guy" at Mentor.

At this point, Mentor is the 4th best team in the region. But I don't think they are significantly behind the top team. If the lines can be built up to be a strength on both sides of the ball, that will go a long way.

In the Mentor Gameday Program, they list Snow as 6'-1", 195#. Ian Kipp is 6'-3", 210#.
After I posted that, I went to Hudl and looked him up. I had never heard of Jacob Snow until last night. So in my head I'm thinking Kipp is out and this sophomore Qb that is replacing him is probably 5'7 160 lbs. So I had no reason to want to buy the game last night.Plus the main Mentor posters were pretty much saying it's a blow out. Boy were my eyes opened up. He has the potential to be pretty darn good and another stud Qb in the Mentor Qb pipeline. I get the feeling he is or will be the real deal.

Last edited:
LoDuca was one of the best 11 on defense and should've been in the lineup all season. A four man front would've changed the complexion of the season. Vernon can have a monster junior season if used correctly in a four man front.

Snow's success yesterday was encouraging. Gives him the confidence that he can be the "next guy" at Mentor.

At this point, Mentor is the 4th best team in the region. But I don't think they are significantly behind the top team. If the lines can be built up to be a strength on both sides of the ball, that will go a long way.
If Mentor is the 4th best, and I know you have Ignatius and St. Ed's on the list, who is the other R1 team better than Mentor for next year? I'm guessing you think it's Medina. That is a pretty good 4 horse race. I just hope that in 2021 all the Covid crap is behind us and we can all get out and see games again. Although I got to more games than I thought I would.

They don't really have the big bruising RB on the roster like Coughlin. Current sophomore Brandon Orsog is the same size as Panhorst now, maybe he will have a growth spurt and can help out next season. Junior Nick Farley and Sophomore Mitchell Waite have more of a WR build, both in the 6 foot, 160# range. Maybe Farley will transition to WR like Evan Harper did after he outgrew the RB position.

They don't really have the big bruising RB on the roster like Coughlin. Current sophomore Brandon Orsog is the same size as Panhorst now, maybe he will have a growth spurt and can help out next season. Junior Nick Farley and Sophomore Mitchell Waite have more of a WR build, both in the 6 foot, 160# range. Maybe Farley will transition to WR like Evan Harper did after he outgrew the RB position.
That's trouble then. Snow and panhorst need that complement to save their bodies.

If only we got more move ins like other schools ?. Of course every school has some move in and some move out. A big rb and his family need to move to mentor. Need a boost like Euclid lol

After I posted that, I went to Hudl and looked him up. I had never heard of Jacob Snow until last night. So in my head I'm thinking Kipp is out and this sophomore Qb that is replacing him is probably 5'7 160 lbs. So I had no reason to want to buy the game last night.Plus the maim Mentor posters were petty much saying it's one road a blow out. Boy were my eyes opened up. He has the potential to pretty darn good and another stud Qb in the Mentor Qb pipeline. I get the feeling he is or will be the real deal.
Snow grew up playing in Chardon through middle school. My guess is the family moved to Mentor so he could play in the Cards spread system and highlight his abilities. He started against Chardon in the August scrimmage when Kipp was in a walking boot and was really impressive, so the team knew he had the talent, but was just lacking in experience.

Snow grew up playing in Chardon through middle school. My guess is the family moved to Mentor so he could play in the Cards spread system and highlight his abilities. He started against Chardon in the August scrimmage when Kipp was in a walking boot and was really impressive, so the team knew he had the talent, but was just lacking in experience.
Well now the rest of NEO Ohio and me, in PA know. Lol!

From someone that doesn't have a dog in this fight I thought Mentor would get rolled without Kipp. First to admit I don't know the players as well as others but Snow did fantastic job keeping Mentor in the game. Once he settled down he was impressive. He will only get better. I have to admit I have never been a fan of Kipp and I believe Snow will be a better QB than Kipp before he leaves Mentor. Which is scary. PC just had more athletes. PC had to have over 100 yards in penalties. PC didn't show me much if they truly are the #1 in the state. QB is terrible and that is being polite. Snow out played him. I will close with this. 2020 or not I just don't think Ohio has the dominate teams of decades past. As a whole not just D1. I think football in Ohio is down over all. For what ever reason and I just don't mean in 2020.
I'll admit the PC team plays and wins ugly, that’s just the way they are. That’s not going to change. Coaching and play calling is always suspect. They win despite play calling several times a year. Those wins are all on the players and their athletic ability. That being said I would not say the QB is terrible. Ugly at times yes but not terrible. If comparing against Mentor QB as a whole yes the appearance is ugly. Stats. PC ran only 55 plays but gained 438 . That's 8 yards a play . Ran 46 times for 322 { 7 yards a rush} and was 8-9 throwing for 116 yards which was a very impressive 13 yards an attempt . No Picks. Conservative play calling but overall effective. Also the QB did have about a 90 yard run in which he outran the entire defense. That was impressive.
Congrats to Mentor for a great season. You’ll be right back here next year. Great QB pipeline. Hopefully we meet up again. Always a great hard hitting game.

Forgive my ignorance as I have not been following the Mentor threads, but what happened to Kipp? I assume that he was injured enough to not play, but what were the cicumstances?

Forgive my ignorance as I have not been following the Mentor threads, but what happened to Kipp? I assume that he was injured enough to not play, but what were the cicumstances?

He was listed as “unavailable” to travel with the team. I don’t think he went on vacation...

Rumors have it that it is contact tracing due to him being at a social gathering where there ended up being positive cases of COVID.

The sophomore QB Snow said he knew on Thursday he would be starting this game. No comment from the school, coaches, or Kipp on the matter yet.

It was pretty upsetting to hear that Kipp would be out last week. I thought they would get rolled without him, but I was very impressed with Snow. That kid showed a lot of heart, as did the rest of the team. I didn't follow Mentor as much this year as I usually do, but I watched the Ed's, Medina, and PC games. Mentor's losing a lot of talented Seniors. I don't know much about the underclassmen, but a lot of kids got playing time in the Medina game, and I looked them up on mentorredline.com. Here's some projected starters for next year based on my limited knowledge of the team and mainly what I saw in the Medina game:

QB - Snow - backup to Kipp/will be a JR
RB - Panhorst - backup RB - will be a SR
WR - Harper - returning starter/best playmaker - idk why he doesn't play some RB. Will be a SR
WR - Norwood (played KR and backup WR)
WR - ?
WR - ?
LT - McClure - 6'3" 255 - backup to Colao/will be a JR next year
LG - Call - 6' 260 - returning starter/will be a SR next year
C - Jonke - 5'11" 245 - backup to Zalewski/will be a JR next year
RG - Ryan - 6'1" 290 - will be a SR next year (started in place of Zalewski and Shea when they were hurt)
RT - Bostelman - 6'2" 245 - returning starter/will be a SR next year

DE - Vernon - 6'5" 255 - returning starter/JR next year
NT - LoDuca - 6'1" 270 - SR next year - I agree he was completely underused this year
DE - Wenzel - 6'2" 185. He was Vernon's backup/will be a SR next year
LB - Fellows - 6'2" 210. He played LB but could see him moving to DE/he'll be a SR
LB - Burkholder - 5'11" 190 - played on Special Teams/will be a JR
LB - Orosz - 6' 190 - will be a JR
LB - ????? - Dudas and Orsog played here against Medina.
S - ????? - Sutton played here and had an interception against Medina - he's listed at 5'8" 120 and will be a JR
S - ????? - Wilkinson played here against Medina - he's listed as 5'7" 145 and will be a SR.
CB - Harrison - 5'10" 175 - returning starter/will be a SR
CB - Schonauer - 5'10" 155 - backup CB and played some safety against PC/will be a SR

I've heard the name Aiden George but haven't seen him and don't know what # he is. I know he's a DB. Feel free to fill in the blanks if you know of any underclassmen coming up. Thanks!!

It was pretty upsetting to hear that Kipp would be out last week. I thought they would get rolled without him, but I was very impressed with Snow. That kid showed a lot of heart, as did the rest of the team. I didn't follow Mentor as much this year as I usually do, but I watched the Ed's, Medina, and PC games. Mentor's losing a lot of talented Seniors. I don't know much about the underclassmen, but a lot of kids got playing time in the Medina game, and I looked them up on mentorredline.com. Here's some projected starters for next year based on my limited knowledge of the team and mainly what I saw in the Medina game:

WR - Harper - returning starter/best playmaker - idk why he doesn't play some RB. Will be a SR
WR - ?
WR - ?
RG - Ryan - 6'1" 290 - will be a SR next year (started in place of Zalewski and Shea when they were hurt)

NT - LoDuca - 6'1" 270 - SR next year - I agree he was completely underused this year
LB - Fellows - 6'2" 210. He played LB but could see him moving to DE/he'll be a SR
S - ????? - Sutton played here and had an interception against Medina - he's listed at 5'8" 120 and will be a JR
S - ????? - Wilkinson played here against Medina - he's listed as 5'7" 145 and will be a SR.
CB - Schonauer - 5'10" 155 - backup CB and played some safety against PC/will be a SR

I've heard the name Aiden George but haven't seen him and don't know what # he is. I know he's a DB. Feel free to fill in the blanks if you know of any underclassmen coming up. Thanks!!

Aiden George returns at the SS spot

WR - ?
WR - ?

Let me add a little to this from someone who is pretty close to the team and specially the younger kids.

Vernon is a stud will be on the end of the d-line. Everyone knows him but let me add some other names.
Wenzel is not a D-end. He’s a defensive back. Im not sure if he graduates or if he’s coming back. If he’s back he’ll be a starter in the secondary.
Fellows was injured and will be an anchor with the LB’s. Dude is huge and athletic.
Burkholder and Orosz will be the other LB’s
Caleb Photo is a freak athlete who can play in the secondary or in the slot, maybe some running back. Will be a JR
Evan Harper is the most explosive guy on offense and will be at wide WR and possibly play some RB as he’s big and strong as well as explosive.
O-line returns 2 starters and has some pretty big sophomores that will be JRs that will need to grow up over the winter and be ready next summer.
Mikey Norwood is the real deal in the slot. Very good hands and crazy fast.
One huge loss will be their kicker. He doesn’t get a lot of run but in a close game he was a major weapon that they will not have (at least to my knowledge)
QB should be decent.
overall I see the same type team as this year minus the kicker. Offensive may possibly be a bit better next year and defense may be down a pinch but who knows..... with these kids 1 year makes a huge difference in growth and potential in the field.