Massillon mid season grades

John Lee Pettimore

Without looking at stats and going only by what I've seen.

(QB) B-

Slaughter has a high ceiling and appears to progress in chunks. Has shown a lot of poise in recent weeks and appears to be unshakable. Keeps his eyes downfield when in trouble and has recently made several plays because of it. Still occasionally holds the ball too long and takes a sack (despite already being out of the pocket) instead of throwin it away, also still on occasion throws a bounce pass. Would like to see some more designed runs for him but thats not his call. Still a sophomore.

(RB) B+

Massillon has used a handful of backs and andll have ran hard and blocked well. The drop off from Hartson to the next back isn't as tremendous as some would have you think. No problems here with anyone's effort in the backfield. Hartson has had a small problem with taking care of the ball and that is the only thing that keeps this position group from getting that much coveted JLP A grade.

(WR) C+

This group has gotten better at catching the ball, their blocking on run plays need improvement.

(TE) A

This group has been targeted twice and has 2 catches for 1 TD. They also block very well. What else can you ask of them?

(OL) A-

This group hasn't been perfect but also isn't as deep as one would like so they take a beating pretty much all game without too much of a break....not to mention at least one that plays both ways, (expect more as the season progresses). Getting Andrai Jones back will help with depth. This group was probably the second biggest question mark entering the season and I think they've more than answered the bell, opening nice holes for our RB's and doing a nice job protecting Slaughter. Their inspired play despite not being very deep as a group and their recent performance against a huge talented St. Edward line earns them an A-

(DL) B-

This group isn't very deep either but after week 1 they've set the tone. The many tackles our LB's have should tell you all you need to know about this group. Have already set some records for TFL's. Everyone was aware of Moore and Wright but Carmen and Card have played very well. The addition of Bond helps.

(LB) B-

Pringle seems to be in on every tackle and Fair not far behind. Feel like occasionally they follow the ball instead of reading their keys leaving big unfilled holes, not too often. Everyone returns next year.

(DB) B-

Have made leaps and bounds since week 1 in coverage, not perfect but seeing more contested catches (despite having small corners) as opposed to guys running wide open. This group is strong against the run. Wasnt too long ago this group would have earned a D-. Still without Tyler Hackenbracht.

Without looking at stats and going only by what I've seen.

(QB) B-

Slaughter has a high ceiling and appears to progress in chunks. Has shown a lot of poise in recent weeks and appears to be unshakable. Keeps his eyes downfield when in trouble and has recently made several plays because of it. Still occasionally holds the ball too long and takes a sack (despite already being out of the pocket) instead of throwin it away, also still on occasion throws a bounce pass. Would like to see some more designed runs for him but thats not his call. Still a sophomore.

(TE) A

This group has been targeted twice and has 2 catches for 1 TD. They also block very well. What else can you ask of them?
Is it just me, or do other Tiger fans think that we are starting to see the benefits of the Alex Wood hire?
I truly believe that he is the biggest reason behind Slaughter seeing the field better and going through his progressions.

I also see some differences in some of the plays we have started to run, including getting our two stud tight ends involved.

Thoughts anyone?

Is it just me, or do other Tiger fans think that we are starting to see the benefits of the Alex Wood hire?
I truly believe that he is the biggest reason behind Slaughter seeing the field better and going through his progressions.

I also see some differences in some of the plays we have started to run, including getting our two stud tight ends involved.

Thoughts anyone?
The influence of Alex Wood is certainly noticeable week by week. We are only going to get better. GO TIGERS.

Not trying to pile on to Troxler and Mazur but I hope they're taking notes. Wood won't be around forever and even if he was those two may want to move on someday.
I totally agree JLP. I just have a hard time believing that our offensive staff the last 4-5 years believed we could just line up and run it down the throats of the likes of Hoban, Winton Woods and Lasalle.
All they need to do is open the O a little bit, and they would see how much that would benefit our run game. Look at last week, Ed's was virtually triple teaming Banks late, and that loosened up the box for us.
By the way, in spite of being triple teamed, Banks almost caught the go ahead touchdown.

Last edited:
I had high hopes for the Tigers this season: the Moeller game was about what I expected. The next game I saw was the GO game and I came away underwhelmed by Massillon. I didn’t see one down of the next two games, but the game against Ed’s showed me exactly who I thought this team could be this year.

Although they were down, they never stopped fighting - they opened up the O, like many on here have been clamoring for them to do, and I came away impressed. I can honestly say this game vs Fitch is the first Massillon game I’ve been excited for in some time.

I can’t wait to see what the second half of the season, and the postseason, bring!

I've talked to several linemen since Mazur went on staff; all of those players have the highest regards for Mazur as the line coach.

The St Ed’s game seemed like the first time in idk how long that when facing a team with equal or superior talent Massillon’s offense was able to gameplan and then execute in such a way that it dictated to the defense how they were going to play.