Massillon Football 2020 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You
I didn’t say that. However, why didn’t Hoban want to play in Massillon? After all the Tigers played the Knights (regular season) in Akron in 2011.

Did the Tigers play at Hoban?
A lot has changed since 2011. Massillon was D1 and was coming off a playoff berth in 2010. Hoban was D3 and finished 1-9 in 2011 and was 4-6 in 2010. They both had zero playoff titles at that time.

I just don’t see how you can blame Hoban for not wanting to play at PBTS in 2020 if Massillon refused to play Hoban at Hoban or a neutral site.

You

A lot has changed since 2011. Massillon was D1 and was coming off a playoff berth in 2010. Hoban was D3 and finished 1-9 in 2011 and was 4-6 in 2010. They both had zero playoff titles at that time.

I just don’t see how you can blame Hoban for not wanting to play at PBTS in 2020 if Massillon refused to play Hoban at Hoban or a neutral site.
I’m not blaming Hoban for anything. Cougarfan22 started this when they posted on this thread that Massillon refused to play Hoban. Then you chimed I’m on this thread saying the same thing. If you don’t like the push back stay off this thread.

You

Answer this one question. Why didn’t Hoban agree to play at PBTS in 2020?

Answer this one question. Why didn’t Hoban agree to play at PBTS in 2020?
I will answer that with the same question. Why wouldn't Massillon play Hoban at Hoban or at a neutral site? That was my whole point. Hoban wanted to play at a neutral site, Massillon only would play them at PBTS where they would have a clear advantage and a 8th Home game. Hoban only has 2 home games and wasn't asking Massillon to play at Hoban, but at a neutral site.

A Hoban Coach. Um, OK then. Must be gospel.
I have only opined on what I was told first hand from someone within the coaching staff. It wasn't anything more than that. Hoban wanted a game but didn't want to give Massillon the advantage of playing at home. Coach Moore wanted to play but on his turf. What team gets to play 8 home games? I don't know of any team in the state of Ohio that has that advantage, especially when it has a showcase stadium, facilities and fan base that will travel anywhere to watch their team. Hoban's fan base is relatively small compared to most teams until they play St V.

I have only opined on what I was told first hand from someone within the coaching staff. It wasn't anything more than that. Hoban wanted a game but didn't want to give Massillon the advantage of playing at home. Coach Moore wanted to play but on his turf. What team gets to play 8 home games? I don't know of any team in the state of Ohio that has that advantage, especially when it has a showcase stadium, facilities and fan base that will travel anywhere to watch their team. Hoban's fan base is relatively small compared to most teams until they play St V.
ST.V played at Massillon every year for about the last 20 years and embraced it, challenging their kids to beat the Tigers on their home turf.

ST.V played at Massillon every year for about the last 20 years and embraced it, challenging their kids to beat the Tigers on their home turf.
And that's great if a team wants to do that. My original point was that Massillon already had 7 home games and wouldn't schedule Hoban unless it was 8. Again, that's OK if you are Massillon. I personally would just like to see anyone play at this point anywhere.

If Hoban wanted a full schedule, they would have accepted the invitation to play at Massillon week 1.

Since Bishop Gorman fell through MULTIPLE teams had called Massillon about a game week 1. We had the pick of the litter. Why would Massillon choose to play a probable playoff opponent (hard to beat a team twice in one season) at a neutral location when we had other teams (St.Eds, PICK NORTH, others) willing to play us @ home?

Beggars, (Hoban) can’t be choosers.
Btw, maybe Hoban is worried if players see what a home game looks like in PBTS more kids will want to jump ship and play for the Tigers (lots of notable Hoban players visited The halls of Washington high prior to Covid shutting everything down inquiring about transferring for the upcoming season)

I think any team would be happy to get as many home games as possible. That's why it's called home field advantage. Sounds like both teams wanted it to be a home game. If there's nothing else available to fill the hole in the schedule, I guess there's some criticism to be had if a team won't budge, but otherwise I don't see anything here worthy of criticism. I also don't see any advantage to open the season against another powerhouse in your region that you may face down the line, especially this year where you may not be as well prepared early.

Hoban wanted a game but didn't want to give Massillon the advantage of playing at home.

The 3 peat champ of past 4 years and loaded private did not want to give Massillon an advantage? Wow, I can't believe you just said that but guess I'll take the compliment. Hoban and LaSalle return GREAT teams as does TCC. Hopefully a public breaks thru this year. If not us then anybody, please.

You

Holy hell that 1st paragraph is terrible justification. Lmao

Bottom line: Hoban is more desperate to fill their schedule than Massillon. Therefore, Massillon had leverage to dictate the terms. Hoban didn’t like it so they said no thanks. Alright that’s fine. Also, saying that Massillon would have the crowd advantage at a neutral site means squat this year cause there probably won’t be any fans.

Doesn’t Massillon have telecommunications program so we can still watch all the games on TV right?

When Massillon varsity baseball played summer travel ball (Orangemen), teams regularly would play their home game @ Schroeder Field because it was one of the best HS fields in the state and was adjacent to historic PB Tiger stadium!

Bottom line: Hoban is more desperate to fill their schedule than Massillon. Therefore, Massillon had leverage to dictate the terms. Hoban didn’t like it so they said no thanks. Alright that’s fine. Also, saying that Massillon would have the crowd advantage at a neutral site means squat this year cause there probably won’t be any fans.

I asked this question twice but received no response from Massillon backers, so I’ll try again since a lot of posts have been made recently. The PD published an article with a proposed deal between St. Edward and Massillon in week 1 sine their out of town opponents were off due to CV-19 restrictions.

Everyone commenting in earlier pages were saying it was like a 99% likely deal and now they have Pick North scheduled? I know Ed’s would have no problem paying and traveling so wondering why Massillon would back out?

I asked this question twice but received no response from Massillon backers, so I’ll try again since a lot of posts have been made recently. The PD published an article with a proposed deal between St. Edward and Massillon in week 1 sine their out of town opponents were off due to CV-19 restrictions.

Everyone commenting in earlier pages were saying it was like a 99% likely deal and now they have Pick North scheduled? I know Ed’s would have no problem paying and traveling so wondering why Massillon would back out?
I had heard that it was basically a done deal. Personally haven’t seen any concrete info that makes me think the PN game is a done deal yet either so idk.

St. Ed’s doesn’t present too much of a challenge for the Tigers. ?

Has there been any y’all to how they’ll decide who gets to go into the games at PBTS? Know that small schools are already trying to figure out how to work tickets & seating under the inevitable limits that will be coming, can’t imagine what that will mean for the faithful in Massillon

I had heard that it was basically a done deal. Personally haven’t seen any concrete info that makes me think the PN game is a done deal yet either so idk.

Well that looks pretty well set in stone then lol

Status
Not open for further replies.