Massillon @ Avon scrimmage #1

John Lee Pettimore

What are we looking to accomplish here other than the obvious....STAY HEALTHY. Need to get McElroy some (somewhat meaningful) reps against someone other than his teammates. Find out who's gonna fly to the ball, (I'm sure there won't be TOO much contact) See if our DBs can carry out an assignment.

What else.

Lots of questions. Not sure if many can be answered in one scrimmage though or even by the season opener. We have a pool of fast talented skill players so that won't be an issue. Just gotta find who fits where.

Biggest things to watch: Line play on both sides, and QB poise under pressure.

Looking forward to seeing the Tigers in person for the first time in what seems like forever.

Avon is breaking in a new QB, so reps against the Tigers will be especially valuable.

The lower levels of the Avon football program are loaded with #s and size.

That area is booming right now and the football program looks to be staying at a high level for years.

Agree the goal is to stay healthy.

Props to Massillon for scrimmaging Avon and St X.

That area is booming right now and the football program looks to be staying at a high level for years.

Awhile back someone posted their enrollment growth the last 10-15 years and it was frankly unbelievable. You gotta think they’ll be D1 in the not too distant future.

Awhile back someone posted their enrollment growth the last 10-15 years and it was frankly unbelievable. You gotta think they’ll be D1 in the not too distant future.
There are a lot of great people who do a lot of hard work to keep the Avon football program strong from youth football up through varsity and even keep the alumni ties strong, but it’s all led by Mike Elder. I hope he gets that elusive state title one of these years, just to punctuate an amazing career.

There are a lot of great people who do a lot of hard work to keep the Avon football program strong from youth football up through varsity and even keep the alumni ties strong, but it’s all led by Mike Elder. I hope he gets that elusive state title one of these years, just to punctuate an amazing career.
It’s amazing what a strong and well coordinated youth program can do for a sports program and community.

It’s amazing what a strong and well coordinated youth program can do for a sports program and community.
As a football guy it saddens me to see HS football slowly dying in so many places, so it’s refreshing to see places around the state that still embrace it. Obviously, Massillon is ground zero in that respect, but Avon is very proud of their program and the numbers reflect it.

Avon has two freshmen and JV teams, right?? That's incredible when even some large D1s are now struggling to put one team out there at each level.

Avon has two freshmen and JV teams, right?? That's incredible when even some large D1s are now struggling to put one team out there at each level.
I know last year Avon's JV pasted Ignatius' JV.

Now I'm told Avon had a number of juniors playing down on the JV, but the Eagles clearly have talent.

Yes. Two JV, two freshman, two eighth grade, two seventh grade and almost 400 kids on teams in grades 3 through 6. And they don’t stack teams. There isn’t an A team of the best and a B team of the rest. They divide them fairly equally. It’s all about getting kids reps.

I know last year Avon's JV pasted Ignatius' JV.

Now I'm told Avon had a number of juniors playing down on the JV, but the Eagles clearly have talent.
There were Avon freshmen in that game as well, including the running back.

Question for the Avon folks. Is tomorrows scrimmage fully open to the public? I was just gonna show up but figured I'd ask with how the world is now. Thanks in advance.

Also consider the number of talented players from Avon that have littered the Ed's and Ignatius rosters over the years. If they can ever find a way to keep all those guys at home, look out.

Any comments from Avon-Massillon fans that attended the scrimmage.

Any comments from Avon-Massillon fans that attended the scrimmage.

I was concerned with the rumor that our kicker and long snapper was hurt and not playing but this is from Chris Easterly
The Massillon-Avon scrimmage went like this;Tigers 1st and 2nd teams scored 4 TD'S and 1 Field goal while Avon 1st and 2nd teams scored 0 TD'S and had 1 field go.Austin Brawley caught two TD passes and Riley Campbell one TD pass and Willtrell Hartson ran for a TD.Vinny Keller kicked the Tiger FG. Tiger defense played well.Go Tigers

I was concerned with the rumor that our kicker and long snapper was hurt and not playing but this is from Chris Easterly
The Massillon-Avon scrimmage went like this;Tigers 1st and 2nd teams scored 4 TD'S and 1 Field goal while Avon 1st and 2nd teams scored 0 TD'S and had 1 field go.Austin Brawley caught two TD passes and Riley Campbell one TD pass and Willtrell Hartson ran for a TD.Vinny Keller kicked the Tiger FG. Tiger defense played well.Go Tigers
Lol it wasn’t quite as smooth as that breakdown makes it seem. Both teams looked like they had LOTS to work on.

Those are mistakes that we should see at the first scrimmage now if it’s week 3 and a lot of that is happening ….
A lot to work on and that is exactly what we want. I wouldn’t think any coach would want to leave the first scrimmage and say well perfect game guys you can take the next 2 days off ?
Yeah they’re expected but everyone was saying how he scored a bunch and gave up nothing and glossed over the mistakes. Complacency is poison lol

Yeah they’re expected but everyone was saying how he scored a bunch and gave up nothing and glossed over the mistakes. Complacency is poison lol
I agree with you complacency is poison, but most fans just want the end result not pick a part the things you or I might lol. It’s good we put up some points and only gave up little. I’m sure the coaches and even the kids know theirs a lot to improve on. I hope we stayed healthy and continue to get better each week heading into week 1

lol I didn’t say we sucked. You must’ve missed all the penalties, missed tackles, and interceptions
Must not have played football or coached football bro that's gonna happen in the first scrimmage lol bro ik you didnt say we sucked but those ints came from a FR QB ??and WR that ran the wrong route it was pose to be a post corner but the WR ran a post

Must not have played football or coached football bro that's gonna happen in the first scrimmage lol bro ik you didnt say we sucked but those ints came from a FR QB ??and WR that ran the wrong route it was pose to be a post corner but the WR ran a post
I know that stuff is supposed to happen in the first scrimmage but I was just saying that it wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows.

we had some good plays and some bad plays. End of story.