MAKO Holiday Spirit Invitational

ZfishInMason

MAKOs meet this weekend! Should be an indication of who's been putting in the hard work towards the upcoming HS season.

Lot's of swimmers from D1 and D2 in SW Ohio going head-to-head. After this meet everyone (who already hasn't) will be crossing over to their school teams and we'll start getting a clearer picture of how districts might shake out in two months.

Should be a fun weekend!

MAKOs meet this weekend! Should be an indication of who's been putting in the hard work towards the upcoming HS season.

Lot's of swimmers from D1 and D2 in SW Ohio going head-to-head. After this meet everyone (who already hasn't) will be crossing over to their school teams and we'll start getting a clearer picture of how districts might shake out in two months.

Should be a fun weekend!

Why does Mason fully taper for this meet and just hold out till state? It obviously has an effect on their performance.

Why does Mason fully taper for this meet and just hold out till state? It obviously has an effect on their performance.

I think that a mid-season taper is being adopted by almost all college programs. Thoes high schools who start training in late August, might benefit from a December taper. It sure is exciting to see and is a huge mental advantage for the swimmers before driving back into Xmas training.

without knowing specifics, in the past both teams (Raiders and CAC) have tapered for this meet, a lot of the top athletes for both of these teams and other are in Greensboro for JNats, so they can taper the kids for MAKOS along with the kids in NC.

The RAYS use this meet to hit mid-season goals and will come in with a partial taper and will suit up. Mason comes into GMCs with no rest at all but they do a full taper, suit and shave for districts. None of the boys are so elite that they will try to get out of the SW district without a full taper. This is why you don't see the Comet boys drop much between districts and State.

The RAYS use this meet to hit mid-season goals and will come in with a partial taper and will suit up. Mason comes into GMCs with no rest at all but they do a full taper, suit and shave for districts. None of the boys are so elite that they will try to get out of the SW district without a full taper. This is why you don't see the Comet boys drop much between districts and State.

The Rays boys have been overshadowed by Dayton Raiders and CAC this weekend. VERY overshadowed.

Well, they certainly did't have anyone that was able to compete with Cope/Higgins of the Raiders or Hodge/Nymberg of CAC if that's what you mean. I'd say the list of teams that do is pretty short!

For a mid-season meet I was actually very pleasantly suprised by several of the swims. Bodes well for the GMC conference championship and moving some of the kids on to districts/state.

Historically, they tend to have solid drops from this meet to districts and if that happens again this year, there will be some good times come February!

i agree with ZFish... i believe a mid season rest is really important because it allows swimmers to refocus and to hopefully build up some confidence. The Manta Ray boys did have a strong showing in the freestyle events specifically i noticed i wouldn't say that they were completely overshadowed.