Mahoning Valley Area Talent 2022

Boardman is going to surprise people this year. Bad coaching really wasted some good young talent last year. Plus side is nearly all that talent returns. I always said Ignazio should be commended for his job in getting the program headed in a decent direction after some rough years. But he just really lacked on in-game decision making. Also his stubbornness to not change their dated defensive scheme (which is changing under new coaching). I feel like he seemed to lose the fire for the job. So it’s nice to see the new staff coming out strong w/ energy and daily early AM workouts and constantly in weight room w/ great attendance.

The key is Triveri progressing at QB. He missed the first half of last year w/ a bad ankle injury and was never fully mobile after returning. If he’s healthy and can cut down on mistakes, he’s got a lot of upside throwing and even running. Also he has as much skill position talent around him as anyone w/ O’Horo, Thomas and Thompson all being FBS or FCS guys. Plus Joseph-Robinson and Hightower being very good returning WRs too, plus some other young guys. Watch out for upcoming jr Fernando Ortiz at RB. Very strong back that I’d expect will split carries w/ O’Horo. A lot of quality depth at skill spots.

With some improved coaching this team should be right there with Fitch, Ursuline and Canfield for best in the area and one that can make a nice playoff run.

Lots of good points and lots of pure BS.

1. Camps are where most will get offers .

2. Speed kills. If you don’t have it, no schollies.

3. Your H.S. Coach means little. How does your ability translate to the O and D the college uses. Vs. other out of state prospects .Your h.s. Coach is just a cheerleader.

4. The Mahoning Valley is over the hill. Fewer D-I athletes, athletes who have trouble competing with Florida, Georgia, California and Texas kids. YSU program sucks because they have too many worthless area athletes vs declining recruits from Florida, Cal., etc. Politics are heavy to recruit local kids who are inferior players to other teams athletes.

5. If you are good, you will be found. Most good players aren’t in the Valley but other states. Coaches spend more time recruiting there.

6. Even Ohio State has stopped recruiting heavy in Ohio. Best athletes are elsewhere. Headliners to OSU or Mich from area pretty much gone. Weaker D-I programs still look here but recruit few. MAC isn’t really a serious D-I league and even they look out of state for quality athletes.

False on so many levels…

1. Agreed.

2. Can’t argue that.

3. Maybe for most high school coaches. That’s the case. However, Ted Ginn Sr. can get the attention of literally any coach in the country, especially one in the Big Ten. Grant it, Glenville isn’t as good as they used to be, but Ginn’s word is gold to college coaches. Also, if Cardinal Mooney makes a call to any coach with the last name Stoops or Pelini, they’ll have their guys looked at. They have numerous other alumni in the college coaching ranks as well. In fact, Kentucky has at least 4 coaches on their staff from Youngstown. They’re usually among the first big schools to offer kids around here.

4. The Mahoning Valley isn’t what it used to be, mainly for reasons far beyond sports. There’s still quality talent here.

5. As good as you think that sounds, it’s 100% false. Everybody doesn’t get a fair shot.

6. Again, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Nobody will ever convince me that Lynn Bowden wasn’t good enough to play at Ohio State. Heck, many people said that Dan “Boom” Herron would never get offered by Ohio State. Then, they said he’d never play, let alone start. Now, he’s statistically one of the ten most productive backs in Buckeye history. Many people like yourself seem to think that you have to be “Maurice Clarett good” to be a Buckeye, but you don’t. On top of that, you dog the MAC, yet Ben Roethlisberger, Kareem Hunt, Antonio Brown, James Harrison, etc. have all been beyond productive in the league. In fact, how many guys on Sunday & Monday Night Football announced that they came from a “weaker D-1 program?” Those who are blessed to get the opportunity to play at a big name school certainly deserve it, but suggesting that scholarship money is wasted because everybody can’t play for Urban Meyer is ignorant on your part.

Two amazing schools! Congratulations to the young man and I wish him, WGH & Coach Arnold nothing but the best!

Foster flew to Wake Forest for a camp yesterday and came home with another offer! His offer sheet now includes the University of Akron, Boston College, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Michigan, Howard, Kent State, Miami (OH), Syracuse, Toledo, Wake Forest, and Youngstown State!

896F356B-5C4E-40B7-B79C-A9EE912F4AB8.jpeg

Boardman is going to surprise people this year. Bad coaching really wasted some good young talent last year. Plus side is nearly all that talent returns. I always said Ignazio should be commended for his job in getting the program headed in a decent direction after some rough years. But he just really lacked on in-game decision making. Also his stubbornness to not change their dated defensive scheme (which is changing under new coaching). I feel like he seemed to lose the fire for the job. So it’s nice to see the new staff coming out strong w/ energy and daily early AM workouts and constantly in weight room w/ great attendance.

The key is Triveri progressing at QB. He missed the first half of last year w/ a bad ankle injury and was never fully mobile after returning. If he’s healthy and can cut down on mistakes, he’s got a lot of upside throwing and even running. Also he has as much skill position talent around him as anyone w/ O’Horo, Thomas and Thompson all being FBS or FCS guys. Plus Joseph-Robinson and Hightower being very good returning WRs too, plus some other young guys. Watch out for upcoming jr Fernando Ortiz at RB. Very strong back that I’d expect will split carries w/ O’Horo. A lot of quality depth at skill spots.

With some improved coaching this team should be right there with Fitch, Ursuline and Canfield for best in the area and one that can make a nice playoff run.
It seems like every year someone on here says Boardman will be much improved and yet nothing...I don't dislike the Spartans at all just funny how it's mentioned every year. Hey maybe it's true this year... good luck to sparty!

Harding beat Fitch (split) & Ursuline last year. Don’t forget about the Raiders this fall!

As for Boardman, I’m a big fan of Cam Thompson. Looking forward to seeing where he commits.

False on so many levels…

1. Agreed.

2. Can’t argue that.

3. Maybe for most high school coaches. That’s the case. However, Ted Ginn Sr. can get the attention of literally any coach in the country, especially one in the Big Ten. Grant it, Glenville isn’t as good as they used to be, but Ginn’s word is gold to college coaches. Also, if Cardinal Mooney makes a call to any coach with the last name Stoops or Pelini, they’ll have their guys looked at. They have numerous other alumni in the college coaching ranks as well. In fact, Kentucky has at least 4 coaches on their staff from Youngstown. They’re usually among the first big schools to offer kids around here.

4. The Mahoning Valley isn’t what it used to be, mainly for reasons far beyond sports. There’s VERY LIMITED quality talent here.

5. As good as you think that sounds, it’s 100% false. Everybody doesn’t get a fair shot.

6. Again, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Nobody will ever convince me that Lynn Bowden wasn’t good enough to play at Ohio State. Heck, many people said that Dan “Boom” Herron would never get offered by Ohio State. Then, they said he’d never play, let alone start. Now, he’s statistically one of the ten most productive backs in Buckeye history. Many people like yourself seem to think that you have to be “Maurice Clarett good” to be a Buckeye, but you don’t. On top of that, you dog the MAC, yet Ben Roethlisberger, Kareem Hunt, Antonio Brown, James Harrison, etc. have all been beyond productive in the league. In fact, how many guys on Sunday & Monday Night Football announced that they came from a “weaker D-1 program?” Those who are blessed to get the opportunity to play at a big name school certainly deserve it, but suggesting that scholarship money is wasted because everybody can’t play for Urban Meyer is ignorant on your part.

Fixed it. Bowden, despite being a good athlete, was primarily a running, undersized QB in h.s. and he had baggage issues. Ohio St. didn’t want him. So too didn’t most power programs. He found a niche to play in, nothing more, nothing less. And he was recruited by a long suffering program. The bright lights of OSU, Mich, ND and Penn St were not calling. Harding has also slipped in quality players, not what they used to be. Lower level programs and D-II programs look at the program now. Ditto for the Mahoning Valley. I need only look at the offers and signings of out of state players at OSU to see where the program is going. They are going for the best. That’s now limited in Ohio. In fact , look over the last 10 years. This isn’t a recent development. Old timers can’t accept the change and reality that’s been underway for years. The MAC certainly has a rare athlete better than the weak league , but over all player by player they aren’t very good and not much better, if so ,than the FCS Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Players certainly are looked at in the Valley, but quality of players have slipped and better recruits are found in other states. The old days are long over. Fair is fair . You are not competing with other athletes in Ohio for a schollie. You are competing with many, many athletes in other states. And being passed over accordingly.

Fixed it. Bowden, despite being a good athlete, was primarily a running, undersized QB in h.s. and he had baggage issues. Ohio St. didn’t want him. So too didn’t most power programs. He found a niche to play in, nothing more, nothing less. And he was recruited by a long suffering program. The bright lights of OSU, Mich, ND and Penn St were not calling. Harding has also slipped in quality players, not what they used to be. Lower level programs and D-II programs look at the program now. Ditto for the Mahoning Valley. I need only look at the offers and signings of out of state players at OSU to see where the program is going. They are going for the best. That’s now limited in Ohio. In fact , look over the last 10 years. This isn’t a recent development. Old timers can’t accept the change and reality that’s been underway for years. The MAC certainly has a rare athlete better than the weak league , but over all player by player they aren’t very good and not much better, if so ,than the FCS Missouri Valley Football Conference.

Players certainly are looked at in the Valley, but quality of players have slipped and better recruits are found in other states. The old days are long over. Fair is fair . You are not competing with other athletes in Ohio for a schollie. You are competing with many, many athletes in other states. And being passed over accordingly.

Bowden is WGH’s all-time leader in rushing yards (4,178) & rushing touchdowns (57) on just 390 carries. However, he also ranks 2nd in WGH history in passing touchdowns (28) & 3rd in passing yards (2,232). In fact, his 19 passing touchdowns in 2016 is tied with ‘04 alum Alex Engram for the most in a season in WGH history, so don’t try to tell me that he only got by cause he found “a niche.” In the two years before Bowden got to Harding, they were 6-13. With him, they were 19-6. His skill set opened up the entire field here. You don’t make that level of impact for Warren G. Harding without being good enough to do it at the next level.

As for his recruitment, he chose Kentucky over Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Marshall, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Tennessee, Toledo, and Wisconsin. It’s rumored that Ohio State offered him on NLOID. Whether that’s true or not, Bowden chose Kentucky cause they made him feel the most comfortable. As I said earlier, several members of their staff are from Youngstown.

In 2017, I told everybody that Lynn should go to Kentucky and play quarterback. People thought I was crazy, but he was lightyears better in high school than Danny Clark, who was originally committed to Ohio State as a freshman. Bowden went over two years without major snaps at QB, but without literally no coaching at that position during that time, he thoroughly dominated at QB his junior year just like he did in high school. Had he originally gone to UK as a QB like I said he should’ve and was coached up at the position for those three years, he’d be even better than he was.

As for Harding, they aren’t what they were 20 years ago, but I promise you they have athletes that can play with anybody anywhere. For your sake, don’t even try to debate this point with me. Just sit back and enjoy the show this season.

Mahoning valley isn’t as strong as it once was, but to say the entire state you’ve really lost it
There are so many kids that would rather sit around and do nothing instead of getting off their electronics and play sports its such a shame....So many good athletes that could be!!!

Bowden is WGH’s all-time leader in rushing yards (4,178) & rushing touchdowns (57) on just 390 carries. However, he also ranks 2nd in WGH history in passing touchdowns (28) & 3rd in passing yards (2,232). In fact, his 19 passing touchdowns in 2016 is tied with ‘04 alum Alex Engram for the most in a season in WGH history, so don’t try to tell me that he only got by cause he found “a niche.” In the two years before Bowden got to Harding, they were 6-13. With him, they were 19-6. His skill set opened up the entire field here. You don’t make that level of impact for Warren G. Harding without being good enough to do it at the next level.

As for his recruitment, he chose Kentucky over Cincinnati, Indiana, Kentucky, Marshall, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Tennessee, Toledo, and Wisconsin. It’s rumored that Ohio State offered him on NLOID. Whether that’s true or not, Bowden chose Kentucky cause they made him feel the most comfortable. As I said earlier, several members of their staff are from Youngstown.

In 2017, I told everybody that Lynn should go to Kentucky and play quarterback. People thought I was crazy, but he was lightyears better in high school than Danny Clark, who was originally committed to Ohio State as a freshman. Bowden went over two years without major snaps at QB, but without literally no coaching at that position during that time, he thoroughly dominated at QB his junior year just like he did in high school. Had he originally gone to UK as a QB like I said he should’ve and was coached up at the position for those three years, he’d be even better than he was.

As for Harding, they aren’t what they were 20 years ago, but I promise you they have athletes that can play with anybody anywhere. For your sake, don’t even try to debate this point with me. Just sit back and enjoy the show this season.

You are making my point. Major programs didn’t want him because he was a short running QB who had little passing skills. That is not today’s college game. He went to the Pros as a Slot, his true position. No one was yelling to play him at QB in the Pros. Bigger schools looked at him as an “ athlete, return guy and Slot. And , it was a projection, with risk. Thats not what he did in h.s. His stats at WGH were also padded with yards after catch by good athletes. No one was calling him the second Dan Marino or Joe Namath. His passing skills were not much.

This thread should be checked back on after next years NLOID. What “ appears” to be D-I athletes in the Valley will drop to weak lower programs and D-II signees. That is what much of theValley is these days - lots of D-II athletes. So many in fact, many end up at YSU on a partial, living at home which is worth in combo, a full ride where most D-IIs are half schollies. That is a major reason why YSU sucks so much, burdened down with inferior local D-II quality athletes instead of superior athletes from Florida, Cal. Texas, Georgia and other states. With around 25% of the roster made up of local kids, YSU is at a competitive disadvantage. Look for a one or two win season this fall. Ohio State, loaded with out of state stars wins the B1G and goes playoffs again.

Good luck to WGH. I see a few games. However, the schedule is no longer what it once was. That’s life.

There are so many kids that would rather sit around and do nothing instead of getting off their electronics and play sports its such a shame....So many good athletes that could be!!!
I feel like that’s a stereotype that all young athletes fall under now a days & it’s untrue. Kids are still getting after it 2,3,4 times a day, 5 AM lifts, field work in 90 degree heat. Hell my buddies son gets locked out of his high school facility, maybe in other parts of the country this is true, but I believe kids from Youngstown work their tails off no matter the era

You are making my point. Major programs didn’t want him because he was a short running QB who had little passing skills. That is not today’s college game. He went to the Pros as a Slot, his true position. No one was yelling to play him at QB in the Pros. Bigger schools looked at him as an “ athlete, return guy and Slot. And , it was a projection, with risk. Thats not what he did in h.s. His stats at WGH were also padded with yards after catch by good athletes. No one was calling him the second Dan Marino or Joe Namath. His passing skills were not much.

This thread should be checked back on after next years NLOID. What “ appears” to be D-I athletes in the Valley will drop to weak lower programs and D-II signees. That is what much of theValley is these days - lots of D-II athletes. So many in fact, many end up at YSU on a partial, living at home which is worth in combo, a full ride where most D-IIs are half schollies. That is a major reason why YSU sucks so much, burdened down with inferior local D-II quality athletes instead of superior athletes from Florida, Cal. Texas, Georgia and other states. With around 25% of the roster made up of local kids, YSU is at a competitive disadvantage. Look for a one or two win season this fall. Ohio State, loaded with out of state stars wins the B1G and goes playoffs again.

Good luck to WGH. I see a few games. However, the schedule is no longer what it once was. That’s life.

Harding traditionally isn’t a passing school. They threw more in the last 3 years with Elijah Taylor than they ever have. There’s plenty of guys that didn’t sling the ball a lot in high school that fared well in college (Daryl Clark at Penn State being one of them). He easily could’ve played QB for 3 years at Kentucky. Whether or not he would’ve stayed there or still got drafted as a WR is another story.

I'll enjoy the show if on 9/10 Warren shows the state their back. That game should be circled on the schedule every year as the win at all cost. The Bucks know they must best the team up north every year and Warren needs to teach their kids they don't lose to that team From Stark county.

I'll enjoy the show if on 9/10 Warren shows the state their back. That game should be circled on the schedule every year as the win at all cost. The Bucks know they must best the team up north every year and Warren needs to teach their kids they don't lose to that team From Stark county.

Harding plays "that team from Stark County" on 9/17. In fairness to you, Harding will need to bring it on 9/10 as well as they'll be playing at Hudson.

Harding plays "that team from Stark County" on 9/17. In fairness to you, Harding will need to bring it on 9/10 as well as they'll be playing at Hudson.
Fri.—Sep.10–Massillon Washington at Warren Harding—7:00PM.

GO TIGERS!?

Any small school players in the Valley stand out? I know that Labrae has a few in Aidan Stephens and Trevon Drake, who both have older brothers playing in the MAC.

Anybody from JFK? Or any of Brungards teammates?

Any small school players in the Valley stand out? I know that Labrae has a few in Aidan Stephens and Trevon Drake, who both have older brothers playing in the MAC.

Anybody from JFK? Or any of Brungards teammates?
JFK has a couple good ones. Keirnan is a stud but isn't a high level college prospect. Valent is being recruited by Miami Fla, Pitt, Iowa St, BC, WVU among others for 2023. He will probably be a P5 guy.

In todays recruiting the Head Coach is basically just there to have your back. Colleges will call and ask about certain kids and your coach will talk you up, hopefully. Schools already have an evaluation on kids their soph years and have identified who they are going after. Everything in recruiting happens at camps and on hudl. The days of your head coach calling up school X and telling them "I got this kid and that kid" are long past.
This describes it quite well. Hudl is huge. P5 schools have many people behind the scenes reviewing game film and pushing that up to the recruiting coordinators/position/head coaches. The only kids who fall through the cracks are those who didn’t play their sophomore year due to injury, so no game film.

I said something along these lines earlier in the year but I can’t find the thread.. This years class is one of the most talented since 2010. Players reporting either D1/D2 offers..

Ursuline-
Brady Shannon (D1)
Dean Boyd (D1)
Brady Shannon is playing baseball at Central Florida.

I heard Triveri did not go out for football.

Looks like one of Warren Harding's best athletes, is moving to the QB position this year. I really like this move.

The talent in the Valley is definitely on the uptick. Kids are being recruited by and commiting to bigger schools. These next couple of classes are talented.