Longest 1st Round Bus Rides: 2022 edition

I believe Richmond is also in the same conference with Lafayette (Purdue) on the other side of Indiana.

When Lima Sr. was in the GMC, they made trips to Cincinnati continuously. Funny thing is, they would probably jump at the chance to re-join that conference if offered.
Gonna stop right there. Lima Senior in no way wants any part of the GMC these days. Boys basketball would be the only beneficiary. All other sports no sir. As someone who rode those trips for four years back in the 90s they're not fun.

What’s the longest someone is going to take a yellow school bus? A lot of teams will charter a bus if it is extreme distances
My junior year year of football at Lima Senior (1997) we took two yellow school buses to Niles McKinley. Three hours plus on of those things (6 hours plus round trip). Funny thing is the previous season we took a charter bus to Massillon, week 2 in 1996 and then took yellow busses back to PBTS for the state championship game that season. I guess they figured charter busses were bad for us haha.

lol, Lima is closer even to the R6 near Cleveland, let alone Toledo than they are to schools in their assigned region. They're closer to almost ALL the R7 schools too. Hell, I'm pretty sure they're closer to some in R5. Maybe they can ask Indiana to play in their tournaments?

Someday, Lima is going to get payback. Then we'll all wish we'd been nicer.
Lima has had about as much luck establishing a home region as we have had establishing a home conference the last 20 plus years. Some years we've been in the Dayton / Cincy region, other years the Toledo region, and every now and then a Columbus region.

Just remember Lima controls your Oil, your Ford engines and your military tank production. So be nice.

Lima has had about as much luck establishing a home region as we have had establishing a home conference the last 20 plus years. Some years we've been in the Dayton / Cincy region, other years the Toledo region, and every now and then a Columbus region.

Just remember Lima controls your Oil, your Ford engines and your military tank production. So be nice.
I thought Marathon Oil was headquartered in Findlay. That is why Findlay College is the Oilers.

Looks like No. 13 (D3, R10) Defiance is heading to No. 4 Cloverleaf. Google has that at 2 hours and 36 minutes. ... and has Defiance (which is already north of Cloverleaf) going even more north through Toledo, before then going east (turnpike) and then south (I-71) to get to Cloverleaf. Long and weird trip for a No. 13 that will likely knock off the No. 4.
That’s at least three hours by school bus.

I thought Marathon Oil was headquartered in Findlay. That is why Findlay College is the Oilers.
Husky Energy is the most recent occupier of the oil refinery in Lima. Lima's oil refinery is (at least to my knowledge) the oldest still operating refinery in Ohio (one of the original Rockefeller Standard Oil Refineries).

1666498277963.png

That’s at least three hours by school bus.
I was a bit off. When I put it in, it definitely had Defiance going through Toledo (75/80). But didn't pay attention to the map. It doesn't have them going all the way to 71 (Strongsville), but getting off the Turnpike (80) by Norwalk and meandering down to Lodi.

But putting it back in now and it's showing 3 ways to get there... Turnpike; going to Tiffin and taking 224: or going to US 30 to Mansfield and then up 71.

Either way, all are coming up around 2 and a half hours. No great shortcut anyway they take it.

OHSAA could just get rid of the regions--problem solved.

A little off topic, but another thing that's crazy, is that over in Indiana, Richmond and Logansport are in the same conference, 2.5 hours and 140 miles apart. And we have red headed stepchildren like Lima Senior that can never find a geographic fit for a good conference home.
Richmond could have 3 trips to the Lafayette area. That conference is very spread out compared to others in Indiana. They have Muncie Central, Anderson, Marion, and Kokomo as well. Believe an Indy school too. A lot of travel to go 0-10 for Richmond this year.

Haven't decided if I'll make the drive, but if so any recommendations on places to eat anywhere close?
Depending how you go.
If you come down 71, I would say on tap in medina right off 71 at route 18. (About 15 minutes to the stadium)
If you come 224 I would say Moxies is lodi. (5 minutes to the stadium)

What’s the longest someone is going to take a yellow school bus? A lot of teams will charter a bus if it is extreme distances
Spread All Day, good question.

Back in the day when Mansfield Senior was a member of the vaunted Buckeye Conference, the Lorain Senior and Lorain Admiral King basketball teams would always travel to Mansfield in chartered Cleveland-Lorain Highway Coach Co. buses.

Fans leaving Senior High’s Pete Henry Gym on those cold winter nights could always count on being overwhelmed by diesel fumes as the drivers got the buses warm and toasty for the trip home. They had to be more comfortable than school buses.

Gonna stop right there. Lima Senior in no way wants any part of the GMC these days. Boys basketball would be the only beneficiary. All other sports no sir. As someone who rode those trips for four years back in the 90s they're not fun.
I was thinking in terms of boys basketball and football back in the day (90’s). Other sports, it doesn’t make any sense. Also, a lot of the GMC schools now are very large DI schools whereas Lima is a mid D2 school due to declining enrollment. In terms of travel, Lima is still traveling to Toledo every other weekend. From a travel standpoint, Lima’s best chance moving forward is continued enrollment decline to where they are D3 and playing more mid-sized schools.

Richmond could have 3 trips to the Lafayette area. That conference is very spread out compared to others in Indiana. They have Muncie Central, Anderson, Marion, and Kokomo as well. Believe an Indy school too. A lot of travel to go 0-10 for Richmond this year.
One of Richmond’s closest travel games this year was when Northmont ventured over to Wayne County, Indiana to meet the Red Devils.

No actually it’s Cadiz Harrison central down by Steubenville that would have had to travel to conneaut not a team from cincy lol that would be a bit much for a 1st round playoff game

He was literally just saying what he thought the longest trip in the state would be.

And it turns out it's not, because North Central/Edon to Fairland I'd longer.

I was thinking in terms of boys basketball and football back in the day (90’s). Other sports, it doesn’t make any sense. Also, a lot of the GMC schools now are very large DI schools whereas Lima is a mid D2 school due to declining enrollment. In terms of travel, Lima is still traveling to Toledo every other weekend. From a travel standpoint, Lima’s best chance moving forward is continued enrollment decline to where they are D3 and playing more mid-sized schools.

Even then their best geographic fit wants nothing to do with them.

I was a bit off. When I put it in, it definitely had Defiance going through Toledo (75/80). But didn't pay attention to the map. It doesn't have them going all the way to 71 (Strongsville), but getting off the Turnpike (80) by Norwalk and meandering down to Lodi.

But putting it back in now and it's showing 3 ways to get there... Turnpike; going to Tiffin and taking 224: or going to US 30 to Mansfield and then up 71.

Either way, all are coming up around 2 and a half hours. No great shortcut anyway they take it.
I would think 80 to 71. South to Cloverleaf. That’s the way I would drive it. Norwalk to Lodi on 224 is the scenic route.

Toledo is not Cincinnati, trust me. The funny thing is, whenever we'd travel to Toledo St. Francis in week 1 back in the day we'd always stop at the rest stop off I-75 near BG BUT we NEVER EVER stopped at a rest stop or anywhere for that matter on any of our dozens of trips to GMC schools haha. Never figured that out. Thankfully most GMC campuses were right off the interstate.