Liberty-Benton Set To Leave Blanchard Valley Conference

What's taking so long? Why haven't they hired anyone at this point?

Not a clue. LB kids are out of school in 3.5 weeks.

Gerken resigned first week of April (which is later than desired). But it has been over a month now.

Not a clue. LB kids are out of school in 3.5 weeks.

Gerken resigned first week of April (which is later than desired). But it has been over a month now.
Do they have anyone in mind for the job? At this point you would think they might just give the job to Irwin(girls coach) and move on.

Do they have anyone in mind for the job? At this point you would think they might just give the job to Irwin(girls coach) and move on.

No shot. Why would they do that? Then they have an even worse scenario filling the girls position. Additionally, Irwin's daughter will be a senior next year.

I'd imagine Liberty Benton is somewhere in the interview process and hopes to make a hire by end of this week. I would assume they would need to a hold a special board meeting too since the next scheduled meeting isn't until the last week of May.

So what is the deal at Liberty Benton? Just over 2 weeks of school left and still no coach?

For a historically great, and strong program this just seems a little odd in the delay of getting next guy in place. I know LB has some bigger worries right now but one would think this at the forefront

So what is the deal at Liberty Benton? Just over 2 weeks of school left and still no coach?

For a historically great, and strong program this just seems a little odd in the delay of getting next guy in place. I know LB has some bigger worries right now but one would think this at the forefront
My guess is they are conflicted on the applicant, namely Nate Irwin. Major league A-Hole. Currently girls coach, but supposedly applied for boys job. Deep down they prolly don’t want him even though they’re willing to keep him as girls coach.

Last edited:
My guess is they are conflicted on the applicant, namely Jason Irwin. Major league A-Hole. Currently girls coach, but supposedly applied for boys job. Deep down they prolly don’t want him even though they’re willing to keep him as girls coach.
Again, I just can’t see NATE Irwin leaving. Why would he? Daughter is on the team and they are loaded coming back for next year.

I can’t speak to your interactions with Nate but mine have always been positive. Is he perfect? Probably not, but nobody is.

Nate has been leading the L-B girls program for over 15 years, has a state championship, has over or close to 300 wins, has won 63 straight conference games and is the co-athletic director.

Am I surprised L-B hasn’t made a hire yet, yes. But I trust their process and track record.

Has anyone even heard of potential applicants? Really hurting their summer scheduling out big time!

Current BG coach and McComb alum Mason Roth. He knows the BVC.

I also did hear Irwin's name surrounding boys position as well. Interesting part is Gerken's son is on the team too.
Well he'd only need to know the BVC for another two years or so....and right now BVC basketball is a shell of it's former self. In fact it's not good at all right now.

Coach Irwin has a son in the 8th grade and that class is loaded with athletes

He's also got a younger daughter that will one day be in high school....

Who knows. As each day passes without an announcement, I am more and more surprised.

I have done some digging and due diligence. According to their youth summer camp schedule for all sports, there are only 2 sports that do not have camp dates set. Boys basketball, obviously, and girls basketball. Hmmm.

It does appear Irwin would have a valid shot at being named the next boys basketball coach at Liberty Benton.

I’ve been told by multiple people in the LB community that Nate Irwin has been named the head coach but has anyone seen anything officially announced yet? Is there some people not happy with this hire that is holding up the process or are they just taking their sweet time lol?

Wonder how many applied.
From what I have heard, there was Irwin and 3 others that were interviewed. I believe the coaches were Ottoville, bg, and cardinal Stritch’s coaches. Not sure how much of this is 100% true but these were the names that were mentioned by multiple people.

I’ve been told by multiple people in the LB community that Nate Irwin has been named the head coach but has anyone seen anything officially announced yet? Is there some people not happy with this hire that is holding up the process or are they just taking their sweet time lol?

If so, I'd imagine Iriwn takes Lieb with him to boys side. Frankart takes over the girls job. That seems like most logical thing at this point.

This has to go down as one of the weirdest and worst ran processes! How does a school with this much tradition of success not have a coach going into June?!?!? Blows my mind!

This is extremely odd now. I figured they'd have a hire done 2 weeks but here we are.

Does anyone if there have been girls or boys open gyms in May? Who has been running those?