Let's start a good thread. List something positive today.

You people are the first I have told about my giving to the beggar and trust me that was years and years ago. I give to very few charities, because it seems so many do not use the money donated for the cause they tell us they are trying to correct or help. I do not need to help someone buy that fourth home or have them take lavish vacation trips to wonderful places in the name of conferences.

I usually like giving in direct but incognito...kind of like the country song about the pregnant waitress. I really do not like giving to charities because of overhead and bureaucracy. Why do I want to give 25% when I have opportunities to give 100%?

Since almost no one knows who I am on here I do have a good charity story...I must tell everyone because thavoice has thus spoken!
I have had some good fortune with my hobbies and one particular deal was with a very wealthy man who I had heard had a great heart. This company owner due to (his cognitive aging dad "a legend in the collector community" a somewhat shady employee and another shady company") Anyway we could only get our financial disagreement down to a certain barrier for each of us. I picked a relevant charity "harbor house" and proposed we donate the disagreed amount to this charity. He wrote a check on the spot and I matched....all good we still do business.
This donation was handed to the nun who was in charge of harbor house the next day... she started to cry as she said she knew their local chapter was failing but her and another nun had prayed the night before that they just wanted to keep the doors open long enough to help the girl and child who they had realized was likely their last. Not a huge amount of money but enough to make a difference for someone.

I usually like giving in direct but incognito...kind of like the country song about the pregnant waitress. I really do not like giving to charities because of overhead and bureaucracy. Why do I want to give 25% when I have opportunities to give 100%?

Since almost no one knows who I am on here I do have a good charity story...I must tell everyone because thavoice has thus spoken!
I have had some good fortune with my hobbies and one particular deal was with a very wealthy man who I had heard had a great heart. This company owner due to (his cognitive aging dad "a legend in the collector community" a somewhat shady employee and another shady company") Anyway we could only get our financial disagreement down to a certain barrier for each of us. I picked a relevant charity "harbor house" and proposed we donate the disagreed amount to this charity. He wrote a check on the spot and I matched....all good we still do business.
This donation was handed to the nun who was in charge of harbor house the next day... she started to cry as she said she knew their local chapter was failing but her and another nun had prayed the night before that they just wanted to keep the doors open long enough to help the girl and child who they had realized was likely their last. Not a huge amount of money but enough to make a difference for someone.
ty

The good today? Boat we have had in our family for 30+ years, (its a 1971) was picked up.
It is tough to get rid of old boats but there is a ln organization called Boat Angel that works in donated boats and puts them up for auction and then donate the $$ to charity.

Since I am welfare, according to proderp, having a pontoon and this boat was not becoming of a stimulus receiving poor folk.

Now to eat my spam sandwich with govt cheese for dinner.

Received a check in the mail for nearly $400. With absolutely no explanation in the envelop. Just a check, from the University of Michigan. It has an 855 number to call if questions. It checks out with Google.

I'm kind of tickled that they use JPMorgan Chase Bank of Columbus, Ohio.

Got a terrrific walk in along the river at the Metro Park as soon as it opened. You'd have to see it to know how spectacular the views. No one thinks, "Oh Toledo, amazing views." But it is. Didn't see much animal life. Couple deer, an eagle, too many geese, some ducks, a cocky squirrel. Saw a guy waded out, catch a catfish at the dam. I applauded, he acknowledged. Maybe he went home and told his people, "hey I caught a catfish and some guy on the overlook applauded." Made some box pancakes with the last of the blueberries. Checked the mail from yesterday.
Noodling, I presume?

It has been years since I gave to a beggar, the last one I shared my hard earned money with was one I felt was being honest with me when he asked for money so he could buy a beer.
I think I saw that guy ... downtown Cincinnati ... had a big ole smile and a sign that read "Need money for beer. (Why lie???)" I gave him a few for his honesty as well.

I usually only give food. I have done the leftovers thing a few times.
Usually agree. Last month, I was headed into a Mexican restaurant in San Jose, when a bum outside asked me to buy him a burrito. I did. I don't mind giving food, but I'd hate to think I was supporting a drug habit. Drinking's okay (see my previous post), but I do prefer they be honest about it.

Weatherman (he was a male) said today was going to be a beautiful day and might I add a special day for me. at 12:06 AM this morning I turned 76 and my birthday present is I have a doctors appt this morning. Guess in truth this is just another day that I can say I sure have been blessed in this life.

The patriotic birthday.

Noodling, I presume?

It's out clevered me if so. Now I HAVE to call. The phone number googles as a UM number and the check has their logos. If it were from the hospital, I'd have a clue but can't think why they'd be sending ME money instead of the insurance company. And can't think why'd they'd be sending the insurance company money. Probably been a year since I went there anyhow. There was NOTHING in the envelop except the check. Always thought that education over-rated.

They'll probably say the check is a mistake then ask me for a donation.

The patriotic birthday.

It's out clevered me if so. Now I HAVE to call. The phone number googles as a UM number and the check has their logos. If it were from the hospital, I'd have a clue but can't think why they'd be sending ME money instead of the insurance company. And can't think why'd they'd be sending the insurance company money. Probably been a year since I went there anyhow. There was NOTHING in the envelop except the check. Always thought that education over-rated.

They'll probably say the check is a mistake then ask me for a donation.
My first thought was it was scam-related. That said, I pay my dentist and then BCBS sends me a reimbursement check.

Wish they could just submit the bill to the insurer, but that's on BCBS not the dentist. So... that may be what you have received?

I think I saw that guy ... downtown Cincinnati ... had a big ole smile and a sign that read "Need money for beer. (Why lie???)" I gave him a few for his honesty as well.

I did likewise a few years back .{ Also in Cincy} His sign read " WHY LIE " and right below it said , I need a fu54king drink ". Gave him a Ferris Bueller " Fiver " and he was right next to a parking garage . He thanked me and told me ' You are a very generous individual."

Usually agree. Last month, I was headed into a Mexican restaurant in San Jose, when a bum outside asked me to buy him a burrito. I did. I don't mind giving food, but I'd hate to think I was supporting a drug habit. Drinking's okay (see my previous post), but I do prefer they be honest about it.

One panhandler on the east coast outside of an arena{ WFMSG} once had a fake priest collar on . Another drunk guy kicked over his bucket and scolded him for mocking the priesthood. Eyes ablaze the fake priest slurred something that wasn't understood , but the foam coming from his mouth said it all .

My first thought was it was scam-related. That said, I pay my dentist and then BCBS sends me a reimbursement check.

Wish they could just submit the bill to the insurer, but that's on BCBS not the dentist. So... that may be what you have received?

I forget to call. My bills always go to the insurance. They settle it then send me a bill to cover my deductable up to a max every year. Maybe they overcharged something? But I don't recall any bill that would result in me getting back that much money. Got to be a mistake. I'll call them and tell them they shorted me. :D

I forget to call. My bills always go to the insurance. They settle it then send me a bill to cover my deductable up to a max every year. Maybe they overcharged something? But I don't recall any bill that would result in me getting back that much money. Got to be a mistake. I'll call them and tell them they shorted me. :D

Yeah, prior to this insurer, that's the way mine worked. A bit frustrating as I go to the bank about once per year. Oh, well...

And, wow!

Yeah, prior to this insurer, that's the way mine worked. A bit frustrating as I go to the bank about once per year. Oh, well...

And, wow!
Yeah, ever since welfare checks have become electronic transfers I don't need to go to the bank anymore as well.

Staccatto 2011
Ez-eFq1WQAUwSL7.jpg

Researching Gift Ideas ...... anyone enjoying this

This was just announced yesterday. It wasn't a concert that was previously rescheduled from last year...it's an add. The first one this season. I hope more acts follow and the ones rescheduled from last year keep the dates.

Not my favorite band but they put on a great live show.

Nice to shoot, but it's cheating imo. I use it at range when my sons are kicking my ars. Is that gun available?

that look alot like my Ruger SR9 - I like it - my SR9 came out of the case - Super Accurate Very Pleased

I saw Santa last night. He is really trimmed down this time of year and completely clean shav'n. Was just channel flipping when I came across him at a podium giving a speech about what all he was going to give to good little boys and girls. Free child care! Good jobs for their Mom and mabe even their dad.

Couldn't tell for sure but there were two women sitting behind him in masks. I thought there was only one Mrs Clause? He sure is doing a lot of good with all the free stuff he is giving to all the poor families. Warms the heart to know someone out there cares for poor people.

I need to utilize this thread more. :)

My wife and I had a nice experience at P & S Family Diner in Colerain for breakfast today (we always do - great place).
Enjoyed cutting up with four older black gentlemen (at least one Korean War, one Vietnam War vet). They were in such a great mood and the whole atmosphere was so light-hearted and nice. Everyone ignored the memo to be suspicious, judgmental, and hateful.

These experiences are very common - I think we need to share more of these and stop putting the negatives under a microscope quite as much (✋guilty as charged).