Let's follow the logic

He's relatively new in these parts. Nice job avoiding bickering with him. I'll try to follow your stellar example in the future. :thumb:

PS: I've been around since early '02. Lots of folks post more frequently than I do.

That is my point, I got carried away and added like 30+ posts. This is why I stay away from the national board.

I said "proven coach and proven program". Was I wrong? My evidence was already stated (9 state titles and 3 national championships). You haven't even said I was wrong let alone give evidence of such.

Face it you have been beaten so badly I would start calling you ConsumerPinata but it is too long to type. How about CP?

Don Shula won two Super Bowls in 1972 and 1973

he was a proven coach and coached into the 90s

he did not do shoot ever again

so much for that

I will smoke you like Notre Dame at bowl time

be careful we might make Ohio State play SEC teams instead of Akron and Kent State

Looks to me like this is what you are saying and I don't know why I am surprised by any of it.

gcl 3-8 in the herbie

St iggy afraid to play in the herbie
'
st x scored 14 (17) points against that outstanding defense that allowed what 35 to another team>?

ohio teams afraid to travel

speaks for itself

Ignatius is not afraid to play in the Herbie. The new principal that took over several years ago is not in favor of participating in these national type events for an extracurricular activity. He probably doesn't think it it is a good idea to put too much emphasis on sports and is more concerned about academics. Ignatius was dominant in the 90s (won 5 straight titles in Ohio and some national titles) but earlier in this thread you seemed to think it was the 80s when they were great.

Ohio had the contiguous state rule for a long time and was not allowed to travel long distance (OHSAA rules). Recently, the rule was changed and an Ohio team can only make one long distance trip per year.

I don't know if the GCL is the best in football but the 4 team league has won 4 state titles this decade (Elder in 02 and 03 and X in 05 and 07).

Why do you as a CA guy care so much about this issue? It is only HS football and not that important in the grand scheme of things (extracurricular activity).

X has done fine in the Herbie going 2-1 and only lost to Florida's best team by a FG in OT.

I am a fan of high school football and have been for 40 years

As the internet expanded football info, it was enlightening to learn of other states and also some of the myths

for instance Texas awesome state wide six rounds of playoffs tunred out to be not all that it was made out to be

two split divisions, 4th place teams making the playoffs (every single one), watered down 3-7 and 4-6 teams participating, not a real true state champion as the two split winners dont meet, small schools in the big school division, big schools in the small school division, and on and on

not quite what was advertised

now that brings us to Ohio and particularly the GCL

I can remember first reading about Moeller in the USA Today in 1982 and was dumbfounded how a Cincinnati team would rate #1. SO that perked interest. Then we see how Ohio claims to be the best state in the nation and the GCL the best league in the nation. (not that other states dont also claim those things).

Well the Herbie is now several years old and one thing is for sure. the GCL is not doing very well, going 3-8

AFter the most recent 1-3 performacne, I thought a natural question is the GCL all that its supporters say it is. Well we get the LaSalle is no good and Moeller and Elder are just mediocre excuses.

Well being the sharp wit (lol) that I am, I said how can the GCL be the best league in the country when it 1) only has 4 teams and 2) 3 of them are no good, mediocre or ok?

I put out the thread to see if someone could offer proof that the GCL is better than its on the field performance and quite frankly, a lot of wannabes are bitching and moaning but no proof has been offered to alter the assertion thatthe GCL is NOT all that it is up to be

Let me know if I need to request your permission on my next interest or thought process

LMAO

It is only HS football and not that important in the grand scheme of things (extracurricular activity

that could be said of anything

concha got to rivals.com and look at the state champions 2007 page

there you will find

Maryland
Class 4A - Quince Orchard def. Arundel 36-30
Class 3A - Damascus def. Hereford 40-20
Class 2A - River Hill def. Eastern Tech 14-7
Class 1A - Dunbar def. Allegany 58-34

I guess they spell DeMatha differently back there

As the internet expanded football info, it was enlightening to learn of other states and also some of the myths

for instance Texas awesome state wide six rounds of playoffs tunred out to be not all that it was made out to be

two split divisions, 4th place teams making the playoffs (every single one), watered down 3-7 and 4-6 teams participating, not a real true state champion as the two split winners dont meet, small schools in the big school division, big schools in the small school division, and on and on

I can remember first reading about Moeller in the USA Today in 1982 and was dumbfounded how a Cincinnati team would rate #1. SO that perked interest. Then we see how Ohio claims to be the best state in the nation and the GCL the best league in the nation. (not that other states dont also claim those things).

Well the Herbie is now several years old and one thing is for sure. the GCL is not doing very well, going 3-8

AFter the most recent 1-3 performacne, I thought a natural question is the GCL all that its supporters say it is. Well we get the LaSalle is no good and Moeller and Elder are just mediocre excuses.

Well being the sharp wit (lol) that I am, I said how can the GCL be the best league in the country when it 1) only has 4 teams and 2) 3 of them are no good, mediocre or ok?

I put out the thread to see if someone could offer proof that the GCL is better than its on the field performance and quite frankly, a lot of wannabes are bitching and moaning but no proof has been offered to alter the assertion thatthe GCL is NOT all that it is up to be

Let me know if I need to request your permission on my next interest or thought process

LMAO

Yawn.

Have you and your 40 years found an alternative to the GCL?

Can you please quote where the state of Ohio claims to be the best and others states do not?

concha got to rivals.com and look at the state champions 2007 page

there you will find

Maryland
Class 4A - Quince Orchard def. Arundel 36-30
Class 3A - Damascus def. Hereford 40-20
Class 2A - River Hill def. Eastern Tech 14-7
Class 1A - Dunbar def. Allegany 58-34

I guess they spell DeMatha differently back there

1) I said they were arguably the best team in the state.

2) They are from Hyattsville, MD not the DC as I believe you claimed.

3) PrepNation had them the #3 team in MD and they didn't lose to #1 or #2, hence my first point. They finished ranked #9 in the East.

Congratulations on posting facts that don't involve DLS, despite their irrelevance.

In other news, Florida just went 0-3 in their in-state classic. What does that say, if anything? Does it diminish the whining about travel?

Well we get the LaSalle is no good and Moeller and Elder are just mediocre excuses.

I saw the Moeller vs MBA game. Anyone that says Moeller is mediocre is paying them a huge compliment. They are terrible from what I saw. MBA wasnt much better either.

LaSalle looked worse than some JV teams Ive seen.

I have no idea why the organizers of the Herbie keep choosing so many crappy teams to play. :shrug:

I saw the Moeller vs MBA game. Anyone that says Moeller is mediocre is paying them a huge compliment. They are terrible from what I saw. MBA wasnt much better either.

LaSalle looked worse than some JV teams Ive seen.

I have no idea why the organizers of the Herbie keep choosing so many crappy teams to play. :shrug:

Agree

IMO, and it is just that, the MAC is the best league in Ohio. Yes, it is comprised of small schools, and we could have the lower division upper division argument all day. But, pound for pound the MAC is as tough as any league in the State. Also, the idea of Ohio, or any state arguing for the title of best football state is too subjective. I don't think it is a question that can be answered...IMO.

Ignatius is not afraid to play in the Herbie. The new principal that took over several years ago is not in favor of participating in these national type events for an extracurricular activity. He probably doesn't think it it is a good idea to put too much emphasis on sports and is more concerned about academics. Ignatius was dominant in the 90s (won 5 straight titles in Ohio and some national titles) but earlier in this thread you seemed to think it was the 80s when they were great.

Ohio had the contiguous state rule for a long time and was not allowed to travel long distance (OHSAA rules). Recently, the rule was changed and an Ohio team can only make one long distance trip per year.

I don't know if the GCL is the best in football but the 4 team league has won 4 state titles this decade (Elder in 02 and 03 and X in 05 and 07).

Why do you as a CA guy care so much about this issue? It is only HS football and not that important in the grand scheme of things (extracurricular activity).

X has done fine in the Herbie going 2-1 and only lost to Florida's best team by a FG in OT.

Lakeland and Northwestern tied in the final all-class poll.

Northwestern was the best team in 2006.

Like Consumerman, I learned that alot about other states. While winning 150+ games at any level is quite an achievement and nothing should be taken away from the coach or player that participated during the streak, I was sadden by the lack of a playoff regime the streak had to endure. Took a little bit of the luster of the achievement for me. Am happy that every school in the watered down Texas system earns it state championship on the field and not based on old men like me deciding who is deserving of the right to play in a "state championship game". The logic escapes me.

Yawn.

Have you and your 40 years found an alternative to the GCL?

Can you please quote where the state of Ohio claims to be the best and others states do not?

what part of

(not that other states dont also claim those things).

do you misunderstand?

LMAO

And well I don't agree with all of his points, in this post his ranting psychological fever seemed to break albeit all too briefly. Pity.

He probably doesn't think it it is a good idea to put too much emphasis on sports

we now have mind readers here

Some of the Iggy fans on this site have mentioned that the new principal has been putting an even stronger emphasis on academics. Iggy's number of national merit semifinalists has gone up in the last few years and also some of their posters have mentioned that entrance requirements have gone up. Hence, the comment above about not putting up too much emphasis on sports.

You are repeating the same arguments over again. Yes, X struggled with Iggy last year and Iggy lost to X (state champ), Mentor (state runner up), and Glenville (state semifinalist). So what if X barely won against 13-0 Dublin Coffman last year? You can't expect big wins every week and no Ohio D1 team has won easy each week in this decade except Colerain in 04. Don't the top CA teams have close games occasionally? I agree Concha should not talk trash on other states boards etc. but you are stooping to his level with some of the stuff in this thread.

Speaking of national merit scholars, I was at a coaching clinic in St. Louis a few years ago.

The coach of the defending Missouri state champions (one class or another) was showing film of the last drive of their state championship game.

The other team had the ball with under a minute to go, and something like 4th and 7 on this team's 25 (25 for a score, not 75), needing a touchdown.

The coach's team stopped them, but as he showed the film, the coach said "Here's my national merit scholar outside linebacker, lined up on the wrong side."

I've never heard a voice more dripping with sarcasm, and that includes my own.

Some of the Iggy fans on this site have mentioned that the new principal has been putting an even stronger emphasis on academics. Iggy's number of national merit semifinalists has gone up in the last few years and also some of their posters have mentioned that entrance requirements have gone up. Hence, the comment above about not putting up too much emphasis on sports.

You are repeating the same arguments over again. Yes, X struggled with Iggy last year and Iggy lost to X (state champ), Mentor (state runner up), and Glenville (state semifinalist). So what if X barely won against 13-0 Dublin Coffman last year? You can't expect big wins every week and no Ohio D1 team has won easy each week in this decade except Colerain in 04. Don't the top CA teams have close games occasionally? I agree Concha should not talk trash on other states boards etc. but you are stooping to his level with some of the stuff in this thread.

the GCL going 1-3 in the 2008 Herbie is NOT the same old arguments from last year

I do not see any way shape or form this little 4 team league with 2 mediocre and one lousy team gets the nod for best league in the country

I commend St Iggy for concentrating on academics. Are you saying they uses to recruit athletes and now they don't?

that wonderful iggy team that only lost to state playoff powers....

had victories against a bunch of losing teams

4-6 team outscored for the year
6-5 team BUT OUTSCORED 218-355, a real Ohio power eh?
3-7 team outscored 148-340
4-5 a team that mustered all of 125 points the whole year

so St Iggy lost to some quality teams

they lost 38-17 to one team, but only 17-14 in 3 OT against X

they beat of bunch of pansies

your point has zero relevance

the GCL going 1-3 in the 2008 Herbie is NOT the same old arguments from last year

I do not see any way shape or form this little 4 team league with 2 mediocre and one lousy team gets the nod for best league in the country

I commend St Iggy for concentrating on academics. Are you saying they uses to recruit athletes and now they don't?

1) True, but somewhere in this thread you brought up again the close Iggy game from last year again and the Coffman game again.
2) I will agree it is not the best league in the country now but probably had a better case in earlier times. LaSalle rarely makes the playoffs and has never won a playoff game. Moeller and Elder have been down for years but Elder seems to be improving this year since they gave Aquinas from FL a decent game (lost by 11).
3) No, I am not making any recruiting allegations about Ignatius.
4) The 13-0 referred to Coffman's record going into the game with X not the score.

make arguments for other leagues

we can start with ANY league that has more than 4 members and 3 league games

that is about 99% of the leagues in the land

this is what i assumed... you are simplying trolling. you don't want to actually have a conversation about this, you just want to be a dbag.

carry on.

How about the defensive slugfest last night between Carson and one of the top teams in California. If the Carson kicker goes better than 1 for 5 on PAT's the city school takes down Mater Dei with the best QB in California.

This is bs. He is not the best QB in California. I don't give a you know what. The magazines and scouts that have him number 1 overall is even more pathetic.