Lake Levy Vote March 19

Congratulations to the Lake community for supporting their schools. Unfortunately, Mogadore lost by 88 votes, thanks mainly to the Portage County side of the district. Summit County village side lost by only 14 votes. A good, proud school district now facing tough decisions. Too bad for the students that a few individuals with an " axe to grind" are seeing fit to divide a once proud community and school district. Hopefully things get better...
Feelin for you guys. Any chance it goes up on the next ballot?

So what is the lesson here? I know alot of people worked very hard to get this over the finish line but is it better to ask in an off month vs. November?
I think it is better to ask for it early then late...gives time to keep asking...the state is not going to change how they pay and what they pay...and when both the state and fed quit piling on unfunded mandates....then maybe they are out of the mindset of not also trying to control the situation with no choice but for schools to do it....the only thing I see happening is eventually you will eliminate individual superintendents and asst superintendents.....but that will just be a really one time cost savings because the govt says if you don't spend all we give you then we will take the money back and give to a school that can't stop spending and they now need us to cover their lack of institutional control

Last edited:
I think it is better to ask for it early then late...gives time to keep asking...the state is not going to change how they pay and what they pay...and when both the state and fed keep piling on unfunded mandates....then maybe they are out of the mindset of not also trying to control the situation with no choice but for schools to do it....the only thing I see happening is eventually you will eliminate individual superintendents and asst superintendents.....but that will just be a really a one time cost savings because the govt says if you don't spend all we give you then we will take the money back and give to a school that can't stop spending and they now need us to cover their lack of institutional control
The phrase "lack of institutional control" used to give the impression that a college sports program was being run by Scarface. Now it seems to be a key component of the mission statement for most state & federal agencies

Jerry Tarkanian's famous (& PERFECT) quote that "the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they're going to put Cleveland State on probation another 2 years" was meant to poke fun at the NCAA back in the 80's, but it could very easily be applied to Ohio DOE right now.

I was noting the stark difference in turnout. It would at least appear that a non-November election was more favorable to yes voters than simply people changing their minds. Far more No voters stayed home possibly, was my first impression.

The phrase "lack of institutional control" used to give the impression that a college sports program was being run by Scarface. Now it seems to be a key component of the mission statement for most state & federal agencies

Jerry Tarkanian's famous (& PERFECT) quote that "the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky that they're going to put Cleveland State on probation another 2 years" was meant to poke fun at the NCAA back in the 80's, but it could very easily be applied to Ohio DOE right now.
One of the greatest lines in sport....lol...Cleveland State was minding their own business trying to keep Kevin Mackey in control...lol.

One of the few things local schools can do is have a video program continually updated on how good they are doing and showing what they are doing...keep telling the people how good you are continually....be better then HoF and what they doing with their ad campaign.. hey @Rich Kotite...you now have a new career you are a marketing genius...lol ...and get out of the arms race with having new school buildings....have a video program updated every 6 months to a year showing how they are working with what they have till it can't be fixed no more

Last edited:
I was noting the stark difference in turnout. It would at least appear that a non-November election was more favorable to yes voters than simply people changing their minds. Far more No voters stayed home possibly, was my first impression.
To me it seems has always been that way.....Lake took 3 tries...first one asked for the moon....May 2, 2023

20. Lake Local School District
(VOTE FOR 1)
Precinct Reported: 18 of 18 (100%)

Candidate NameTotal VotesPercentage
For the Tax LevyFor the Tax Levy1,71630.19%
Against the Tax LevyAgainst the Tax Levy3,96869.81%

I thought this year with it being a primary election I thought it wouldn't be successful

To your point, it's hard for some folks to remember that it wasn't that long ago that the Ohio didn't "rank" schools. Somehow we all survived.

Always found it ironic that once the state rankings came out 1) it created & reinforced stereotypes of certain towns/areas & 2) the state department of education were able to deflect any negativity directly to the local level.
I think ranking these types of things is stupid. If anything put them in tiers 1,2,3 and be done with it. Without looking into data I bet the bell curve looks something like this.

1710951142133.png

How much difference is there between the 101st-rated school and the 444-rated school? I bet not as much as the top 5 rated schools compared to 65-75th rated.

If you look at the election results, the levy passed with fewer votes than it got when it failed last time.

Oh ok, I am sorry. It's not like a 5-second search didn't show exactly what I said: a study for both sides.

Look at this list in the link above. Take notice of the school's districts on the first page in comparison to the last 2-pages. Will there be exceptions like Steubenville (Kudos to Big Red) on that 1st page? Yes, there will be. By and large, will most of them have similar demographics? Yes, they will. Look at the pages 6 & 7. Will you find similarities between most of those schools? Again yes.

Here are PA's (my home state) rankings, the top 20 are very wealthy areas. The rest of the top 75 are mostly middle-class schools that still have strong parental involvement. No poor districts with high percentages of single-parent homes are in the top 75. That does not mean you cannot succeed coming from a poor, single-family home, but it is harder for sure. That is why a school district of mostly UMC 2-parent homes generally ranks higher. For you to argue otherwise is absurd.

My initial post may have been too strong against administrations and teachers, but that does not mean that parents who make up the district, are not the biggest reason if a school is considered good or not.
You didn't post any studies, you linked twice to newspaper articles that complied state report card scores and then drew half-baked conclusions about those scores and their connection to the district's financial standings.

You didn't post any studies, you linked twice to newspaper articles that complied state report card scores and then drew half-baked conclusions about those scores and their connection to the district's financial standings.
Didn't say I was going to post studies. I said a 5-second search would show studies that show both sides of the argument. I posted those newspaper articles because they show the actual rankings. If you want to call them half-baked conclusions feel free. Anyone who is not sensitive and can stay objective will know what the top-performing schools have in common about economics and the likelihood of a child/children being raised in a more involved 2 parent home.

Steubenville, God Bless them is an outlier on that list. Someone needs to study them and see what the secret sauce is over there. If I had to guess, it would be a higher than normal percentage of 2-parent homes who are heavily involved in their kids' lives.

Feelin for you guys. Any chance it goes up on the next ballot?
Mogadore asked for lower millage and went to 5yr. There is a vocal group who will oppose any levy for any reason. School busses wrong color, too many cheerleaders lol, you name it, they'll dig up an obscure reason. They get on social media sites blasting any involved with the school or levy. Easy to hide behind computer screen instead of running for school board ( there were 2 open seats in November)! Hopefully changes, probably November vote.

Sorry to interrupt your school financial banter with something related with football, but, while looking for Little Mermaids I noticed that Lake will open their football season this fall against Woodland Hills HS. When I Googled Woodland Hills HS I found that their home stadium, the Wolfarena is located in Turtle Creek, PA. About 20 miles on the other side of Pittsburgh. If this is so, and if I found the correct Woodland Hills HS, and... if you think it is time to start a Lake football thread here on Yappi, go for it.