Lake Catholic 2022 - 2023

lchsman

There were 0 seniors on last season’s squad, however there is no D1 talent like their was with Eller and Frazier. This group works hard and can shoot the ball well. It will be interesting to see how it goes with new HC, Matt Vespa, who came over from North. His Rangers did defeat the Cougars last season at Lake and interestingly enough, he will begin his career at Lake on the road at North.

Other games of note - Mentor game at Lake this season on a Monday night. Trivia for my Mentor friends Cardz and MG, when was the last time Mentor - LC played at Lake?

The first 5 games are on the road with a tough trip to Benedictine.

Another road trip to Berlin for their Holiday Tournament, this time taking on Smithville.

Schedule:

Dec 2nd: @North
Dec 6th: @Riverside
Dec 10th: @Holy Name
Dec 13th: @Fairview
Dec 16th: @Benedictine
Dec 20th: Madison
Dec 23rd: Kenston
Dec 28th: Smithville @Berlin Hiland Holiday Tournament
Jan 10th: @Euclid
Jan 13th: @Walsh Jesuit
Jan 14th: @Berkshire
Jan 16th: Mentor
Jan 17th: Bedford
Jan 20th: @Padua
Jan 21st: VASJ
Jan 24th: AOA
Jan 27th: NDCL
Feb 3rd: Walsh Jesuit
Feb 4th: East Tech
Feb 10th: Padua
Feb 14th: Perry
Feb 17th: @NDCL

Last edited:

I have no idea when they played at Lake Catholic. I always remember the gym being smaller but I was in elementary school when playing in that gym

Lake - VASJ has been changed to December 3rd at Lake. Not sure yet if it will be all 3 levels playing or a varsity only contest. All will depend on what time the game is scheduled at.

I seen on the Hiland's first federal holiday tournament, that they play Hiland the next night Dec.29,is this correct

I seen on the Hiland's first federal holiday tournament, that they play Hiland the next night Dec.29,is this correct
From what I heard, just Smithville, but maybe I’m wrong. I can find out for sure and let you know.

Do you have a link on where you seen that?

I'm from Hiland,I just got my season tickets, for this basketball season,on Hiland's basketball website, it shows on the first night of the first federal showcase, that we play Zanesville after Lake Cath. plays Smithville,on the next night it shows Newark Catholic plays Tusky Catholic and then it had us unknown opp.for our second night, but on my season tickets it says we play Lake Catholic,if that's right info or wrong info on my season tickets not sure

FDC16AF6-BDFD-4E64-A7D1-48CA7F05258E.jpeg

There were 0 seniors on last season’s squad, however there is no D1 talent like their was with Eller and Frazier. This group works hard and can shoot the ball well. It will be interesting to see how it goes with new HC, Matt Vespa, who came over from North. His Rangers did defeat the Cougars last season at Lake and interestingly enough, he will begin his career at Lake on the road at North.

Other games of note - Mentor game at Lake this season on a Monday night. Trivia for my Mentor friends Cardz and MG, when was the last time Mentor - LC played at Lake?

The first 5 games are on the road with a tough trip to Benedictine.

Another road trip to Berlin for their Holiday Tournament, this time taking on Smithville.

Schedule:

Dec 2nd: @North
Dec 3rd: VASJ
Dec 6th: @Riverside
Dec 10th: @Holy Name
Dec 13th: @Fairview
Dec 16th: @Benedictine
Dec 20th: Madison
Dec 23rd: Kenston
Dec 28th: Smithville @Berlin Hiland Holiday Tournament
Jan 10th: @Euclid
Jan 13th: @Walsh Jesuit
Jan 14th: @Berkshire
Jan 16th: Mentor
Jan 17th: Bedford
Jan 20th: @Padua
Jan 24th: AOA
Jan 27th: NDCL
Feb 3rd: Walsh Jesuit
Feb 4th: East Tech
Feb 10th: Padua
Feb 14th: Perry
Feb 17th: @NDCL
Was there ever an answer on the lake catholic hosting mentor question ? I'm genuinely curious

As I said , I played in that gym in school when I was in the lc feeder program but don't remember going to a mentor game there

Was there ever an answer on the lake catholic hosting mentor question ? I'm genuinely curious

As I said , I played in that gym in school when I was in the lc feeder program but don't remember going to a mentor game there
I’m going to find out early next week and let you know. I’m 99% sure I’ve never watched a Mentor-LC game at Lake. However before the 90’s is the info I don‘t have which I will get.

If my memory serves me I know that Mentor played at Lake Catholic 2 times in the late 90's. I want to say 1998 and 2000 but its been a long time. The 2nd time may have gone to overtime and the LC coach got sick at the end of the game to the point where the game had to be halted for about 10 minutes. I don't remember many of the details though.

If my memory serves me I know that Mentor played at Lake Catholic 2 times in the late 90's. I want to say 1998 and 2000 but its been a long time. The 2nd time may have gone to overtime and the LC coach got sick at the end of the game to the point where the game had to be halted for about 10 minutes. I don't remember many of the details though.
I will find out for sure today, exact dates, final score and such. I just can’t believe I can’t remember this, but I do remember Coach getting sick during a game.

What I can confidently say is Mentor definitely won those games because Lake has only beat Mentor once in hoops and that was in 2020 before the pandemic started.

Lake and Mentor last played at Lake in 1997. Mentor won the game, but I guess it was a good game. Whoolabon (spelling definitely wrong) was on that Mentor team. I don’t remember the game which seems crazy to me.

Lake is playing better as of late and will take a road trip to Berlin on Wednesday to play Smithville.

Anyone know anything about Smithville? I checked Arbiter and it doesn’t show any games played.

Lake and Mentor last played at Lake in 1997. Mentor won the game, but I guess it was a good game. Whoolabon (spelling definitely wrong) was on that Mentor team. I don’t remember the game which seems crazy to me.
Was able to find a little information. Last game at Lake Catholic was 12/19/98 during the 98-99 season. Mentor won 71-68 in overtime. Lake Catholic had player who had played at Mentor until his junior or senior year (Reinhard) score 29 and a kid Matteucci score 16. Mentor got 24 from Craig Budziak and 20 from Rick Martucci. The Lake Coach (Benek) got sick during the end of the game. I don't remember if he passed out from heat or had a health issue. My source remembered that it was a great game.

Cougars move to 6-2 on the season with a lopsided win over Kenston last night. Lake takes on University School tonight at University.

Cougars move to 7-2 with a the win at University School. Tough week ahead with games at Euclid and open up conference play at Walsh Jesuit.

Lake is currently 13-6 and have 3 games left against Padua, Perry and NDCL. The Cougars did not take a bye and will open up postseason play against Mineral Ridge on February 21st.

Highlights from Saturday's game against East Tech. The Scarabs took command in the third quarter with their run and gun offense, but fatigue set in in the fourth, and the Cougars were able to rally.