Lacrosse Primer?

JHayes

Hello, all.

I recently read in my son's school newsletter that their school board was entertaining the idea of fielding a Lacrosse team. I'm not certain if it will or has come to fruition, however, am looking for helpful information, direction, counsel, and so on in regard to the rules of and training for Lacrosse, as well as equipment costs.

I have an extensive wrestling background and have made passing, generalized note (via watching a few Lacrosse games on television) that it appears that core strength, an understanding of body position, and cardiovascular conditioning are imperative to success in this particular sport. Beyond the obvious (passing, running, fighting for position, and putting the ball in the net), I am clueless.

My boys are in 2nd and 4th grade and the 4th grader believes that if Lacrosse is introduced at the school, it will start in 6th grade.

I'm a fairly quick study and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Justin Hayes

Hello, all.

I recently read in my son's school newsletter that their school board was entertaining the idea of fielding a Lacrosse team. I'm not certain if it will or has come to fruition, however, am looking for helpful information, direction, counsel, and so on in regard to the rules of and training for Lacrosse, as well as equipment costs.

For this part, I'd simply head over to www.ohsla.org

Equipment is pretty expensive, to be honest. You'd be looking at probably $300-400 per player possibly.

I have an extensive wrestling background and have made passing, generalized note (via watching a few Lacrosse games on television) that it appears that core strength, an understanding of body position, and cardiovascular conditioning are imperative to success in this particular sport. Beyond the obvious (passing, running, fighting for position, and putting the ball in the net), I am clueless.

Good eye, man! Core, body position, and cardiovascular conditioning are ESSENTIAL in lacrosse!

My boys are in 2nd and 4th grade and the 4th grader believes that if Lacrosse is introduced at the school, it will start in 6th grade.

Thank you in advance,

Justin Hayes

Getting going early on really, really helps. If you want them to play, get them out on the field with a stick in their hands ASAP!

The home page for U.S. Lacrosse has tons of useful information, available to all.

There are a number of youth lacrosse programs in the Cincinnati area, the most successful of which is probably the Blue Jays.

There are a great many other links on the St. Xavier web site.

If budget is a concern, you can often find bargains on gently used equipment ;) at Play It Again Sports, several locations in the Cincinnati area. At least until the boys see if they like playing the sport.

Best wishes to you and your boys.

Hello, all.

Thank you in advance,

Justin Hayes

I agree with both guys on the links and the equipment. I am a youth coach (Jr Crusaders) and most of the local youth coaches would gladly sit down with you and go through the costs and challenges to getting a program started. Please IM me and I will gladly lend you a hand. It's a great sport and the more kids getting involved, the better for SWO LAX.

Thank you for the helpful direction.

One other question: is the high school Lacrosse season fall, winter, or spring?

if you go to the ohsla web site it has all the schedules of the area teams. Great idea is to take your kids to a HS game. good luck

JHayes

If you want to watch great LaCrosse this year, go see Moeller whenever they play any of the Columbus teams or probably when they play Indian Hill.

ya whoever mentioned the blue jays, tehy are good. But when i was in 8th grade way back when they were picked to win their second straight state title and we knocked them off and that game was actually a blowout w/our quarterfinals and semis being close. But anyways lacrosse is a great sport. Even if they can't play until they are in 6th grade then get them outside atleast playing catch and honing in on their skills.