Kobe Bryant believes there’s WNBA players who can play in the league right now

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Kobe Bryant:

“Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Elena Della Donne. There’s a lot of great players out there so they could certainly keep up with them.”

What do you think?

This is like the Williams sisters saying they could beat any male ranked outside the top 200 and then got smashed by a guy who had a few beers and played a round of golf that morning.

No way could they play in the NBA and Kobe knows it.

Maybe Kobe is trying to get more people to watch women's basketball. Who knows?

Last edited:
Uh.
No.

Didnt the worlds best women's soccer team get beat by a dallas area 15U team a few years ago?

Sure, for those boys it was a huge matchup, but women are just not on the same level athletically.

No.
Just.
No.

This is like the Williams sisters saying they could beat any male ranked outside the top 200 and then got smashed by a guy who had a few beers and played a round of golf that morning.
I used to be like a practice hitting dummy for some of men/women tour members when they come to cincy for the western and southern. I watched a former player Xavier, who was like their 5th or 6th best singles player, beat Dinara Safina in a set like 6-2. She was the #1 player at the time. Granted I am sure she could keep it closer if not out right win if she really wanted it. Usually they are working on specific things so take it with a grain of salt. She had trouble handling his serve. Big difference between men and women. No woman would come close to winning a set against a top 100 male. Men hit with way more spin and power. The spin arguably the hardest to adjust for.

Nadal has the craziest spin I have ever seen on ground stokes. It is wild. Biggest spin on a serve was Roddick. That thing was crazy. When I was a kid and ballboyed we loved trying to catch his serves when he warmed up. Near impossible

It’s not crazy to think someone paid him to say that. The WNBA did just have their labor negotiations settled. Players are getting a pay increase despite the league as a whole losing $. The WNBA is never going to be popular, and that’s not an indictment on their ability, but it’s been around 20 yrs in the cable/internet/streaming era and never caught on.

Anytime there's a comparison of whether top flight women athletes can compete with men I always look at sports with timed events. No opinions, no speculation, just 100% facts.
Usually the 100 meter gold medalist for women in the Olympics (sans Flo Jo) could not win a high school state championship. Same for the other track events. I'm not all that familiar with swimming times but I'm sure they would be similar
I think the USA women's basketball team would get soundly beaten by Moeller, St Vs, etc

It’s not crazy to think someone paid him to say that. The WNBA did just have their labor negotiations settled. Players are getting a pay increase despite the league as a whole losing $. The WNBA is never going to be popular, and that’s not an indictment on their ability, but it’s been around 20 yrs in the cable/internet/streaming era and never caught on.
I doubt someone paid him. I didn't know anything a bout his family life, and with all this going on and realizing he had all daughters, coaching a girls hoops team and that hoops academy then yeah, I could see him wanting to have that sort of bias/statement out there.

but no way could they compete in the NBA. they wouldn't get a shot off....

Kobe Bryant:

“Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Elena Della Donne. There’s a lot of great players out there so they could certainly keep up with them.”

What do you think?
Played our freshman high school boys AAU VS a D1 college women's team and it was close for about three possessions. Speed and quickness left the women unable to rebound and forced many turnovers. That said, I would bet a female could come off the bench to take a 3 with the best of them. But until horse becomes part of NBA basketball looking good while in pregame is as close as they will get to the floor.

No, Kobe being politically correct. When I saw that interview yesterday, I thought, no way. I'd say Diana Taurassi, a few years ago may had been able to play D3 mens basketball. There is just way too much of a physical disadvantage for adults. Now yes, you can find a 15 year old, physically mature girl that could play with some top 15 year old boys possibly, but that's about it. Once the genders get into their late teens and 20's the physical side just goes off the charts. Ellaina Della Donne could bang with 4's and 5's in the NBA?? Heck no.

And may Kobe RIP. Just an awful, tragic event.

Kobe Bryant:

What do you think?
I would say take another drink, Kobe...but no need now.