Kids calling timeout

BlastD

When did kids calling for their own injury time become legal? I have never once seen a kid default out when they called their own and it always appears to be when they just need to catch their breath. It has really degraded the integrity of the sport.

The only change to the rule I'd make is 1st one free like it is and second one is choice AND a stall call.

When did kids calling for their own injury time become legal? I have never once seen a kid default out when they called their own and it always appears to be when they just need to catch their breath. It has really degraded the integrity of the sport.
Benedictine is the biggest abuser of this. Saw 126, 144, 175 all use this multiple times. As soon as they come out of the injury time, they’re recharged and usually go on to score.

It should be a stall call.
Been out of officiating for four years, but if a wrestler stopped action because he said he was hurt there's no stalling involved. Either he assumes the proper position within a couple of seconds or it's injury time. IF there was stoppage for a potentially dangerous call, I might be a little more lenient (4-5 seconds) LOL!!.

Been out of officiating for four years, but if a wrestler stopped action because he said he was hurt there's no stalling involved. Either he assumes the proper position within a couple of seconds or it's injury time. IF there was stoppage for a potentially dangerous call, I might be a little more lenient (4-5 seconds) LOL!!.
Oh I know there isn’t a stalling involved, but a stall call should be called. He’s avoiding action so he can catch a breather, meanwhile the other wrestlers has his toe on the line ready to go.

Oh I know there isn’t a stalling involved, but a stall call should be called. He’s avoiding action so he can catch a breather, meanwhile the other wrestlers has his toe on the line ready to go.
Yes, but injury time "usually" has more consequences than a stalling call (usually).

Rule needs changed to same as college…other guys choice!
Agree with this. Change the high school injury time rule to be the same as college.

I don't know for sure, but I believe college wrestling was in a similar situation where injury time was being abused and the wrestler calling for injury time knew they lost nothing for the first injury time, so the rule was amended to give choice after first injury time and then give point after the second.

When I was your age, started coaching in 1969, injury time was 3 minutes and no limit on number of stoppages

While we would be adding more to the ref's plate, rule additions could deter coaches from coaching during this time or from kids getting a shot of water. I don't like the idea of making rules that punish scholastic athletes who are actually injured. They are not adults that we should expect to "push through it" to avoid a stall call. However, I think you can address how the abuse of injury time happens: Coaches getting additional time to address the match or kids getting a shot of water.

1. Coaches are allowed to only address the injury that ails the athlete; failure to do so, such as providing additional coaching, will result in the coach being dismissed to the corner. If the coaching continues from the corner, during the injury time, the coach will be dismissed for the remainder of the match from the corner. The emphasis should be on addressing the ailment of the wrestler and making sure they are safe. The opponent's coaches will not be held to the same standard during the aforementioned injury time.
Ex: Athlete calls time complaining of a shoulder injury with no apparent injury. The coach comes over with the trainer to ask how it got hurt, when did it happen, etc. The moment he/she begins talking about situations in the match he/she will be sent to the chair as a warning. Additional coaching will result in him/her relocating for the duration of the match to the stands or X feet from the matside.

2. If a coach or non-match member (non-coach or athlete) provides a form of hydration then the wrestler will give up a stalling penalty/loss of position/unsportsmanlike conduct etc.; the wrestler who did not use the injury time will be able to access hydration if they wish. Very few times does an injury require water. Short of having a busted lip, and needing to rinse it, why do you need water during a match?
Ex: Kid is in a flurry and they go OOB. Wrestler 1 is slow to get up and asks for injury time. W1 is assessed by coaches/trainers in line with Rule 1. The coach provides the athlete a shot of water and the ref provides a warning. If they accept the drink then the warning becomes stalling/unsportsmanlike. W2 is allowed to get a shot of water with no penalty at this time as they were ready to wrestle and did not ask for time.

IMO- A wrestler who calls for injury time due to being "tired" should be treated like a concussion. If they cannot catch their breath during the match the trainer should advise the ref to stop the match as we all take courses that comply with Lindsey's Law and want to reduce the possibility of SCA.

Instituting penalties for calling your own injury time to get a shot of water/not addressing a wrestler's injury could help reduce the abuse of this ability.

Just my two cents. I'm always down to hear differing opinions.
Coach Welch

I’ve always found these fake injuries very amusing. Everyone in the building knows what’s happening. The refs have no choice but to grant it, no matter how obvious it is that there’s no injury.

While we would be adding more to the ref's plate, rule additions could deter coaches from coaching during this time or from kids getting a shot of water. I don't like the idea of making rules that punish scholastic athletes who are actually injured. They are not adults that we should expect to "push through it" to avoid a stall call. However, I think you can address how the abuse of injury time happens: Coaches getting additional time to address the match or kids getting a shot of water.

1. Coaches are allowed to only address the injury that ails the athlete; failure to do so, such as providing additional coaching, will result in the coach being dismissed to the corner. If the coaching continues from the corner, during the injury time, the coach will be dismissed for the remainder of the match from the corner. The emphasis should be on addressing the ailment of the wrestler and making sure they are safe. The opponent's coaches will not be held to the same standard during the aforementioned injury time.
Ex: Athlete calls time complaining of a shoulder injury with no apparent injury. The coach comes over with the trainer to ask how it got hurt, when did it happen, etc. The moment he/she begins talking about situations in the match he/she will be sent to the chair as a warning. Additional coaching will result in him/her relocating for the duration of the match to the stands or X feet from the matside.

2. If a coach or non-match member (non-coach or athlete) provides a form of hydration then the wrestler will give up a stalling penalty/loss of position/unsportsmanlike conduct etc.; the wrestler who did not use the injury time will be able to access hydration if they wish. Very few times does an injury require water. Short of having a busted lip, and needing to rinse it, why do you need water during a match?
Ex: Kid is in a flurry and they go OOB. Wrestler 1 is slow to get up and asks for injury time. W1 is assessed by coaches/trainers in line with Rule 1. The coach provides the athlete a shot of water and the ref provides a warning. If they accept the drink then the warning becomes stalling/unsportsmanlike. W2 is allowed to get a shot of water with no penalty at this time as they were ready to wrestle and did not ask for time.

IMO- A wrestler who calls for injury time due to being "tired" should be treated like a concussion. If they cannot catch their breath during the match the trainer should advise the ref to stop the match as we all take courses that comply with Lindsey's Law and want to reduce the possibility of SCA.

Instituting penalties for calling your own injury time to get a shot of water/not addressing a wrestler's injury could help reduce the abuse of this ability.

Just my two cents. I'm always down to hear differing opinions.
Coach Welch
Would not following colleges' lead and give opponent choice eliminate most of the whirlybird lung time outs?

Would not following colleges' lead and give opponent choice eliminate most of the whirlybird lung time outs?
IMO- Holding HS kids to the same standard as college kids is not the answer. We can expect a collegiate athlete to tough it out when they hyper-extend their elbow so they don't need to face the consequences of giving up their position. I'd say kids who are college-bound are also not using up their injury time because of a gas tank; if so, then the recruiter should take a second look. High school kids should be allowed to deal with their immediate injury without fear of repercussion, the first time, in a match... because they're still kids. People on this website forget that sometimes.

Again, what is the big issue with taking an injury TO? IMO- Slowing the match down to get a breather and getting a water break. You can address those specific issues with rules that don't punish kids who are truly injured.

IMO- Holding HS kids to the same standard as college kids is not the answer. We can expect a collegiate athlete to tough it out when they hyper-extend their elbow so they don't need to face the consequences of giving up their position. I'd say kids who are college-bound are also not using up their injury time because of a gas tank; if so, then the recruiter should take a second look. High school kids should be allowed to deal with their immediate injury without fear of repercussion, the first time, in a match... because they're still kids. People on this website forget that sometimes.

Again, what is the big issue with taking an injury TO? IMO- Slowing the match down to get a breather and getting a water break. You can address those specific issues with rules that don't punish kids who are truly injured.
I think you missed my point respectfully. Not asking kids to tough out an injury, just saying that if there was an implication on the match score, they might think twice about taking a injury TO to catch there breath and get a drink.

I have seen where one wrestler was given an injury time out twice in a match and when he stated he needed another, the referee decided the wrestler was too injured to continue and declared the other wrestler the winner. Can that be done within today's rules? I really dislike lung injury time outs where the only thing hurt is the out shape wrestler's feelings.

I have seen where one wrestler was given an injury time out twice in a match and when he stated he needed another, the referee decided the wrestler was too injured to continue and declared the other wrestler the winner. Can that be done within today's rules? I really dislike lung injury time outs where the only thing hurt is the out shape wrestler's feelings.
The referee did not "decide" the match was over, the Rule Book says it is over with a third injury time out.
This has been the case for at least 20 years and probably more.

1st injury time is given.an official isnt gonna call a stall call when he doesnt know what is happening with the wrestler. the ref stands by the injured kid to see what coaches are looking at and trainer takes a look.ref can then determine by actions of others to get the match moving or not. you do have liability involved. the rule states 2nd injury time the opponent gets choice.minute an a half time runs out during injury time match is over. its pretty simple.the rule is fine as is .its not the kids ,its the coaches for letting it happen if its being abused.

I'm inclined to think that 1 injury time out is fine. No penalties, or opponent choice, etc. for that 1st one. Injuries happen as well as those 'stub your toe' moments where something hurts like hell for a minute, then you're good. I also think when you get into 'punishing' someone for their 1st injury time, you're opening up some liability issues that no one wants to deal with anyway.

My thought is if you need to take a 2nd injury time, you forfeit the match. Don't wait till the 3rd instance. If you injure something in a manner that's so severe that you genuinely need to take a 2nd injury time, it's extremely likely you probably shouldn't continue anyway. I'm sure there are 'exceptions' that everyone can throw out but I think for an overwhelmingly large majority of legit injury cases that need a 2nd injury time, the wrestler shouldn't continue. This also completely takes away the ability to abuse the rule. If a kid burns his 1st IT cause he wants a breather in the 2nd period, then at the end of the 3rd gets a boo boo, he's done. Match over. I really think that's your answer.

Last edited: