Jr. High 3 timers

I was thinking more of how many JH state champs won a HS state championship. Im sure there are quite a few, but was just wondering how many carried it over to HS.

Great job to all the boys. How many JH OAC champs never won a HS title?
Tortorici was a 3x champ, and I don’t believe he ever wrestled in the high school state tournament. Cole Skinner was a 3x champ that never won it in high school. Josh Rohler was a 2x champ and never won it in high school. Jerry Thornberry and Paul Haywood were both 2x champs and never won it in high school. I would bet dozens of 1x champs never won it in high school. I would guess over 60 1x champs never won in high school.

Has there every been anyone that has won 6 OAC grade school titles, 3 OAC JH titles, & 4 OHSAA state titles?

What's the most OAC grade school titles you can win? 6? Not sure if they have a minimum age? Guessing maybe Kindergarten. So if you won every year K, 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5. That would be 6 OAC grade school titles

Here's the list of 3x OAC JH Champs that also won 4 OHSAA titles. Do we know how many grade school titles each won?
Collin Palmer
David Taylor
Logan Stieber
Chris Phillips

I am trying to remember (and I really do not recall), did Tortorici ever even wrestle in HS??

This touches on how he never wrestled at the OHSAA state tournament but not if he wrestled in high school. My guess is he may have competed a little bit his freshman year but according to the article "life being life" got in the way of his competing in high school

There were no 3 timers this year. I would be interested to see who won their 2nd with one year of eligibility left. I can think of one off hand, Bagdonis from Perrysburg. I think he was 74 champ last year and 84 champ this year as a 7th grader.

cohen reer has 7 or 8 titles... somewhere around there. won jr high as a 6th grader last year. tough loss at the buzzer this year in the finals as a 7th grader. Be very hard for anyone to claim that he isnt the top jr high kid in ohio. When he lost his match in the finals this year, he walked over and shook and hands with his opponent and coaches and walked off. Him and his family are absolute class.

This touches on how he never wrestled at the OHSAA state tournament but not if he wrestled in high school. My guess is he may have competed a little bit his freshman year but according to the article "life being life" got in the way of his competing in high school
Tortorici definitely wrestled in high school. I remember seeing some box scores in the Plain Dealer with Euclid results. He was losing more matches than he won, which left me thinking something must be going on.

There were no 3 timers this year. I would be interested to see who won their 2nd with one year of eligibility left. I can think of one off hand, Bagdonis from Perrysburg. I think he was 74 champ last year and 84 champ this year as a 7th grader.
The Bagdonas boys are 8th graders this year

Has there every been anyone that has won 6 OAC grade school titles, 3 OAC JH titles, & 4 OHSAA state titles?

What's the most OAC grade school titles you can win? 6? Not sure if they have a minimum age? Guessing maybe Kindergarten. So if you won every year K, 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5. That would be 6 OAC grade school titles

Here's the list of 3x OAC JH Champs that also won 4 OHSAA titles. Do we know how many grade school titles each won?
Collin Palmer
David Taylor
Logan Stieber
Chris Phillips

Grey Burnett is on pace to be added to this list. Obviously 3 more OHSAA titles to go which won't be easy but gotta start with 1 to get to #2

Collin Palmer
David Taylor
Logan Stieber
Chris Phillips
Pretty sure it would be two years in each division for GS.

D1 - 2
D2 - 2
D3 - 2
D4 - 2

JH - 3

So, theoretically someone could win 8 GS, 3 JH and 4 HS, I believe. 6th grade year, you can compete in both D4 and JH as long as you meet the birth date requirements, I believe.

Division I weight classes: Birth Year’s 2017 and later​

Division II weight classes: Birth Year 2015 & 2016​

Division III weight classes: Birth Year’s 2013 & 2014​

Division IV weight classes: Birth Year Aug. 1st 2010 through 2012​

Last edited:
Tortorici definitely wrestled in high school. I remember seeing some box scores in the Plain Dealer with Euclid results. He was losing more matches than he won, which left me thinking something must be going on.
That was a good read. He seemed to really skyrocket in weight each year. Curious what weight he wrestled freshman year and if his heart was in it anymore, Euclid not really known to be a wrestling powerhouse, who knows if they could even field a full team.

Pretty sure it would be two years in each division for GS.

D1 - 2
D2 - 2
D3 - 2
D4 - 2

JH - 3

So, theoretically someone could win 8 GS, 3 JH and 4 HS, I believe. 6th grade year, you can compete in both D4 and JH as long as you meet the birth date requirements, I believe.

Division I weight classes: Birth Year’s 2017 and later​

Division II weight classes: Birth Year 2015 & 2016​

Division III weight classes: Birth Year’s 2013 & 2014​

Division IV weight classes: Birth Year Aug. 1st 2010 through 2012​

Kaleb Romero won everything I believe.

That was a good read. He seemed to really skyrocket in weight each year. Curious what weight he wrestled freshman year and if his heart was in it anymore, Euclid not really known to be a wrestling powerhouse, who knows if they could even field a full team.
If I remember correctly he was at 152.

GS 2006 - 60-1 = 1st
GS 2007 - 65-1 = 1st
GS 2008 - 75-3 = 1st
GS 2009 - 80-3 = 1st
GS 2010 - 90-4 = 1st
GS 2011 - 100-4 = 1st
JH 2012 - 120 = 1st
JH 2013 - 132 = 1st
HS 2014-17 -138,152,160,170 = 1st, 202-3 (9th - Sean Fausz KY, 10th - Josh Maruca PA, Kade Kowalski Tri Valley) 11th-12th = 104-0
Wow! Insane! Where did Romero train? I know he went to Mechanicsburg, but did he attend a club?

Video interview at 2024 JH OAC w Tony

I'm not sure when exactly OAC started with the grade school state tournaments. I am thinking that it was after the Stieber's and Tessari were in elementary school.