Jonathan Powell to Centerville?

chwestbroo

Hear this rumor on Yappi about CJ's star sophomore heading to Elk Country, would be big if it happens. Feel free to comment.

My buddy lives in Centerville and told me Powell is already enrolled at Centerville. His uncle was an assistant at CJ and passed unexpectedly during the season.

Believe the rumors are true now. O’Connor from Tecumseh was mentioned as well but I find that hard to believe.
Guess I’ll go to some Centerville games?

Last edited:
not only Powell but Colin O'Conner from Techumsah is also going to be an elk
I would not get used to this sort of musical chairs here in the future. Ohsaa is going to be taking a hard look at these and proposing more changes that will have an opposite effect than the intent.

Centerville is closed enrollment, yes? So the players will have to reside within the district. Not sure what ohsaa hopes to do about that. Can't stop people from moving.

Some Centerville folks that were sitting behind me at the semi-final were talking about this. No names mentioned, but they said there was going to be two kids coming, i.e. both Powell and O'Connor.

Powell seems to have already been a district resident, and I'd be surprised if O'Connor's dad doesn't have a solid preexisting basketball relationship with Cupps given his coaching and skills training background.

Success begets success. And those players know teaming with Cupps gives them a great opportunity to compete for state next year again. They don't seem to be breaking any rules, so it is what it is.

Don’t forget cville has lost three pretty good players two to prep schools and one to alter in the last few years. Guess they figure if you can’t beat ‘em join em. But they were beating them.

The other kids dad may live in centerville and mom may live in the tecumseh district. I took my kid to centerville to work out with his dad a few times.

Success begets success. And those players know teaming with Cupps gives them a great opportunity to compete for state next year again. They don't seem to be breaking any rules, so it is what it is.

This is the funny thing about all of this. When it happens to a school like Centerville it is success draws athletes to the school. If it is another "type" of school with different "demographics" then it is "recruiting" of players.

I have absolute no issues what so ever with anyone wanting to transfer to Centerville. The more the better but there may be issues within the Centerville community when Centerville kids get bumped because of a transfer or two. Centerville does not need transfers to succeed.

My issues are with schools that are open enrollment that aggressively recruit students because they can shoot a basketball or catch a football as well as for those private schools who do the same.

This is the funny thing about all of this. When it happens to a school like Centerville it is success draws athletes to the school. If it is another "type" of school with different "demographics" then it is "recruiting" of players.

I have absolute no issues what so ever with anyone wanting to transfer to Centerville. The more the better but there may be issues within the Centerville community when Centerville kids get bumped because of a transfer or two. Centerville does not need transfers to succeed.

My issues are with schools that are open enrollment that aggressively recruit students because they can shoot a basketball or catch a football as well as for those private schools who do the same.
To be clear, I think they should just eliminate the term "recruiting" as a negative term.

I honestly have no issue with a school recruiting a kid because he's a good athlete. They recruit good students, good tuba players, good singers, etc, etc, etc. If a kid wants to go somewhere because it elevates their athletic profile, who am I to say that's right or wrong? You can learn alot from extra curricular activities too, especially sports.

If a kid gains his confidence and path in life because of sports, good on him. Sometimes sports leads to better academics too. Every kid is different, it's up to his/her family to prioritize their high school experience.

The kid lives in Centerville already and was going to private school. No issue here.

This just seems like your perception. Do you think that no one is going to cry "recruiting" at Centerville? Someone in this thread has already called for OHSAA to stop the "musical chairs."

Like Dayton Wayne did to Springfield kids a few years back?

Lol. Everyone outside of wonders about recruiting. Geeze.