John Carroll v Baldwin Wallace, Fans Brawl with Players

Auggie

Ugly situation happened in Berea a couple weeks back. BW was up by 18 in the 4th and the BW students decided to come down to the field and jaw with the JCU players, the schools are close so many students know each other. Well John Carroll pulls of an amazing come back and decides to spin the karma wheel around and give it back to these jerks. So then the below is what happened>

I was in a similar situation when playing at Wabash back in the day. They let their students on the sideline and during the entire game they did nothing but heckle the team I was playing for, local based refs just let it go and it came close to being a similar ugly situation at the end of a tight game. I blame BW for allowing this, no way should a school allow students to go down to a field with no barrier between the players and fans.

You've hit on a pet peeve:

Since cleveland.com and the PD has chosen to eliminate all coverage of local college football in favor of multiple daily articles exclusively on Ohio State, no one even knew this game was being played. It used to warrant coverage every year, but now, nothing. BTW, is Mt. Union still playing football? How about Kent State and Akron? According to cleveland.com, those school no longer exist.

Since cleveland.com and the PD has chosen to eliminate all coverage of local college football in favor of multiple daily articles exclusively on Ohio State, no one even knew this game was being played. It used to warrant coverage every year, but now, nothing. BTW, is Mt. Union still playing football? How about Kent State and Akron? According to cleveland.com, those school no longer exist.
In fairness, these schools already didn’t exist to the rest of the country.

But joking aside, who fights at a small-town sporting event?

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

AEW for Poster of the Year

In fairness, these schools already didn’t exist to the rest of the country.

But joking aside, who fights at a small-town sporting event?

AEW for Poster of the Year

That's the point. Those school do exist in the area and there are countless alums and fans who support them, but the newspaper in their city chooses to ignore them to cover a team that has extensive national coverage. The paper owes some loyalty to the city it is supposed to cover, not exclusively one over 200 miles away.

I will never, until the day I die, understand why a player decides to take his helmet off in the middle of a potential dangerous situation. It is the number 1 protector. Our HS coach used to always say keep your helmet on at all times. You never know who will throw something from whatever direction

Speaking of newspapers and local reporting, when my son was young and playing Little League baseball and Say Soccer the teams would get write-ups and game scores reported. All-star team pictures and stories would get write-ups. Today you would not know these types of games are even going on. I saved lots of newspaper articles from his days playing high school sports today I am lucky to find a listing of the local high school scores. let alone any write-ups.

Ugly situation happened in Berea a couple weeks back. BW was up by 18 in the 4th and the BW students decided to come down to the field and jaw with the JCU players, the schools are close so many students know each other. Well John Carroll pulls of an amazing come back and decides to spin the karma wheel around and give it back to these jerks. So then the below is what happened>

I was in a similar situation when playing at Wabash back in the day. They let their students on the sideline and during the entire game they did nothing but heckle the team I was playing for, local based refs just let it go and it came close to being a similar ugly situation at the end of a tight game. I blame BW for allowing this, no way should a school allow students to go down to a field with no barrier between the players and fans.

Who did you play for?

Yeah, it was ugly. Kid went to the hospital, and the BW kid was arrested apparently. The students didn't "go down to the field" That is where they were for the whole game.

I hate to tell you but other than the parents of the current players, some faculty and a few die hard local fans, no one really cares. I mean this is where we're at with local newspapers and media outlets. The schools do a great job in their SID departments covering things and putting full stats in. The resources of the local newspaper is so thin it just doesn't warrant coverage. And let's face it, Ohio State goes border to border in Ohio. Even the other D1 programs are grossly overshadowed.

Speaking of newspapers and local reporting, when my son was young and playing Little League baseball and Say Soccer the teams would get write-ups and game scores reported. All-star team pictures and stories would get write-ups. Today you would not know these types of games are even going on. I saved lots of newspaper articles from his days playing high school sports today I am lucky to find a listing of the local high school scores. let alone any write-ups.
So do you get the local newspaper? Most people have abandoned their local paper. Where do you expect them to generate revenue? I used to be in the newspaper biz. What's a couple of the common themes I hear today? There's nothing in the paper, and it's too expensive. Meanwhile everyone wants raises and the whine ads cost too much. Folks you can't have it both ways. It costs alot of money to run a local newspaper.

I hate to tell you but other than the parents of the current players, some faculty and a few die hard local fans, no one really cares. I mean this is where we're at with local newspapers and media outlets. The schools do a great job in their SID departments covering things and putting full stats in. The resources of the local newspaper is so thin it just doesn't warrant coverage. And let's face it, Ohio State goes border to border in Ohio. Even the other D1 programs are grossly overshadowed.

Of course the bottom line is important, but do we really need six daily articles about Ohio State? Could the paper spend ONE LINE reporting the fact that this game is even taking place or the score?

Of course the bottom line is important, but do we really need six daily articles about Ohio State? Could the paper spend ONE LINE reporting the fact that this game is even taking place or the score?
It’s probably on the agate page. If it’s not, it’s because no one cares about it or the information can be more easily attained by simply visiting your favorite team’s website.

You’re getting OSU articles because more people care about OSU and those articles are part of the paper’s AP subscription, thus not requiring hiring another body to write about local sports that won’t draw revenue anyway.

The New Big 12 won’t exist in 10 years!

"You’re getting OSU articles because more people care about OSU"

You can easily read about them in the Dispatch or Bucknuts.

What is interesting about cleveland.com is their tOSU coverage is free but local content, HS and Div II/III is protected through a pay wall.

Yeah, it was ugly. Kid went to the hospital, and the BW kid was arrested apparently. The students didn't "go down to the field" That is where they were for the whole game.
Then I blame the BW athletic admin for allowing this to happen in a rivalry game.

I'm not disagreeing, I just stating what readers want. Most of the folks who care about D3 football games are at the games, know the schedule and the details. It's just not a be driver in readership. You put Buckeye/ Browns articles in the paper and people will read them.

Then I blame the BW athletic admin for allowing this to happen in a rivalry game.
We certainly can't expect players, coaches and students act like civilized people. I mean just Saturday in the Big House, we saw again a skrimish between the teams. I honestly think some want this behavior to happen. It's enhances the rivalry. I mean why?

It's a stinking football game? BW and JC doesn't have extra thousands of dollars to hire security because people act like idiots. And when are we going to stop player from this taunting crap? People whine when officials call penalties and this is exactly why!! I've always said players take their cue from coaches. Coaches can nip this crap in the bud if they just sit on these guys.
Why can't we just celebrate with our teammates?? Do we have to humiliate the opponent?? When did this begin? Why do fans have to be veil towards opponents?? These incidents happen and we automatically go to the the lack of security?? Why don't we blame the people who act like thugs?

We certainly can't expect players, coaches and students act like civilized people. I mean just Saturday in the Big House, we saw again a skrimish between the teams. I honestly think some want this behavior to happen. It's enhances the rivalry. I mean why?

It's a stinking football game? BW and JC doesn't have extra thousands of dollars to hire security because people act like idiots. And when are we going to stop player from this taunting crap? People whine when officials call penalties and this is exactly why!! I've always said players take their cue from coaches. Coaches can nip this crap in the bud if they just sit on these guys.
Why can't we just celebrate with our teammates?? Do we have to humiliate the opponent?? When did this begin? Why do fans have to be veil towards opponents?? These incidents happen and we automatically go to the the lack of security?? Why don't we blame the people who act like thugs?
Didn't you watch the tape? The thugs were the students that were right on the field taunting and throwing things at players so you think this is OK fan behavior? (If this was player on player the refs would have taken control of the situation but since they were fans they had no ability.) So after the game the JCU players decided to give some back and then the students escalate the situation because I am guessing alcohol was present and decided to run on to the field and are grabbing helmets and swinging them around like weapons. But I guess in your world standing on the sidelines and throwing things at players is OK.

Didn't you watch the tape? The thugs were the students that were right on the field taunting and throwing things at players so you think this is OK fan behavior? (If this was player on player the refs would have taken control of the situation but since they were fans they had no ability.) So after the game the JCU players decided to give some back and then the students escalate the situation because I am guessing alcohol was present and decided to run on to the field and are grabbing helmets and swinging them around like weapons. But I guess in your world standing on the sidelines and throwing things at players is OK.
Oh I'm not holding the fans innocent in any of this, and again it gets back to acting like civilized humans. And I'm 1000% sure alcohol was involved. Why do fans fee like they need to degrade the opponent and not just cheer for their team?? Why does this have to be the case? I've been to hundreds of sporting events, youth, high school, college and pro. I've never thought it was ok to act negatively toward the opponent. It wouldn't make me feel good doing this.
However, why did the JC players immediately run to the end zone and confront fans?? At that point you know what's going to happen. Now BW is responsible for controlling those students during and after the game and standing in the end zone with field access isn't a great idea, especially if they are tanked up.

Oh I'm not holding the fans innocent in any of this, and again it gets back to acting like civilized humans. And I'm 1000% sure alcohol was involved. Why do fans fee like they need to degrade the opponent and not just cheer for their team?? Why does this have to be the case? I've been to hundreds of sporting events, youth, high school, college and pro. I've never thought it was ok to act negatively toward the opponent. It wouldn't make me feel good doing this.
However, why did the JC players immediately run to the end zone and confront fans?? At that point you know what's going to happen. Now BW is responsible for controlling those students during and after the game and standing in the end zone with field access isn't a great idea, especially if they are tanked up.
For sure the JCU players should not have run down there. And BW was just asking for trouble allowing the students down there.

I talked to a father who was there and he said the 2 coaches were going at it and almost came to blows. Neither attempted to stop their players from storming the field. Losing a 4th quarter 18 point lead certainly contributed to the situation.

I talked to a father who was there and he said the 2 coaches were going at it and almost came to blows. Neither attempted to stop their players from storming the field. Losing a 4th quarter 18 point lead certainly contributed to the situation.
And this is one of the many issues that comes up. If the coaches act like this it's goes right down to the players. This is all part of who is coaching and understanding the situation. Yes, if you play a game, it's emotional. Everyone is competitive to a certain degree. But it's HOW you handle the competitiveness. Like I said earlier, We see clips of Ohio State and Michigan going at it and yes, there's plenty of people in there who kind of like to see that happen. It's great for TV, it's great for the fans to get fired up. But is this really what we want?
I really don't expect Joe Student to handle it any certain way. That's an unknown. But for the guys who suit up and play, you know what's going on. If you blow an 18 point lead in the 4th quarter, yell at your own team for giving it up, don't take it out on the other team, officials or fans of the other team.

This is why I always kept a pair of brass knuckles in my socks when I was ruling the field.

AEW Champion for Poster of the Year

The PD has never had good MAC coverage, not that anyone under the age of 70 still regularly reads newspapers

Word has it that BW will be losing their starting QB because he doesn't want to play next year. And, their leading receiver has entered the Transfer Portal. And, 2 returning RB's have requested a move to Defense.

Word has it that BW will be losing their starting QB because he doesn't want to play next year. And, their leading receiver has entered the Transfer Portal. And, 2 returning RB's have requested a move to Defense.
Receiver is going to Notre Dame College. OC has left BW and has been hired as HC at Bethany. That should stop some of the nonsense. And, that's 2 OC's who have left the last 2 year.