Jessica O'Donnell Named Head Softball Coach at Kent State

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
KENT, Ohio - Kent State Vice President, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Randale L. Richmond has named Jessica O'Donnell as the seventh head softball coach in program history.

"I am thrilled to welcome Coach Jessica O'Donnell and her family to Kent State," Richmond said. "Coach O'Donnell has a proven track record of continued success at the Division I level on the field, in the classroom and in the community. I am excited for the future of Kent State Softball as we continue to graduate student-athletes, boldly prepared for life after sport and win championships."

O'Donnell brings 12 years of coaching experience with her to Kent State, including the last five as head coach of the Saint Francis University Red Flash in Loretto, Pennsylvania. She has had tremendous success at Saint Francis, leading the Red Flash to three Northeast Conference (NEC) regular season and tournament titles. In five seasons, she led the Red Flash to two 40-plus win seasons and won over 78 percent of her conference games.

"To say that I am excited is an understatement! Thank you to Kent State Athletic Director, Randale Richmond, Associate Athletic Director, Amy Densevich, the Executive Leadership Team, and the Support Staff for trusting me with this amazing opportunity," O'Donnell said. "I cannot wait to hit the ground running with these passionate and talented student-athletes at Kent State."

During her five seasons in Loretto, O'Donnell coached two NEC Pitchers of the Year and a pair of NEC Players of the Year. Sixteen student-athletes earned first-team all-conference honors, six earned all-rookie accolades and three were named first-team all-region. Eight program records were broken during her tenure, and she was the fastest to 100 career wins at Saint Francis and her 131 victories are second all-time. Success was not limited to the diamond, 31 student-athletes earned Scholar-Athlete honors from the National Fast Pitch Coaches Association (NFCA).

"I am looking forward to working with these student-athletes who are hungry for championships and are eager to get better every day," O'Donnell added. "Kent State is in a great position to win and I cannot wait to build something special. I would be remised if I didn't mention my sincere gratitude to the student-athletes, alumni, and Administration at Saint Francis. Over the last five years, we accomplished so much together, and I am very grateful for the program that we built together."

Prior to her time in Loretto, O'Donnell was the Associate Head Coach and Camp Director at Villanova. During her five years with the Wildcats, she was part of a staff that engineered a 17-win improvement and had a pair of 30-plus win seasons. She also had previous coaching stops at Francis Marion University and the Community College of Baltimore in Catonsville, Maryland (CCBC).

The Pasadena, Maryland native played collegiately at CCBC as well, earning all-conference, all-region and NFCA All-American Scholar-Athlete honors before transferring to the University of Maryland at Baltimore County (UMBC). She was a three-year starter at shortstop for the Retrievers. O'Donnell was a three-time member of the America East Honor Roll and was a team captain in 2009. She graduated in 2010 with a Bachelor's Degree in American Studies from UMBC and is working towards a Master's in Human Resources from Saint Francis University.

Be sure to follow Kent State Softball on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for news and updates about the squad.

What they are saying about Jessica O'Donnell

"I'm a big fan of Jess and the leader she is. She is a life-long learner who is always looking for and finding ways to bring out the best in her players." - Jon Gordon, Best Selling Author and Keynote Speaker

"Jess is both an amazing coach and human being. She is passionate about softball and cares deeply about the growth and development of her student-athletes both on and off the field. She will develop a culture for her team that will instill life lessons while developing a drive and passion to win. She is a breath of fresh air and her energy is contagious, I am excited to watch Kent State blossom!" - Maria DiBernardi, retired Villanova Head Softball Coach

"Jess has been a great leader for St. Francis and she has done a remarkable job, having led her teams to several NEC championships. Her teams have always been well coached, energetic, and they play the game hard. Jess is also a very good recruiter as she has always had talented and successful players in her program. I have the utmost respect for Kent State and the Mid-American Conference, and I wish Jess and the Golden Flashes the best of luck," -Clarisa Crowell, Penn State Head Softball Coach.

"Jess is a terrific coach who guided her program to multiple conference championships and NCAA regional appearances. Her teams competed with confidence and grit and were always well prepared. She brings a championship tradition to Kent State and the ability to build the softball program for sustained excellence," -Roy Kortman, LIU Head Softball Coach.