IVC preview

Seemed like there was some animosity between both coaching staffs too
In terms of the actual tournament. Congrats to Dusty and company on another title. Looks like they did so without a big scorer in Meese, hopefully he is healthy by next weekend. Tusky Valley was very impressive, Jason has made some real nice additions to his staff over the past few years. Claymont, young, talented staff that will learn and grow from yesterday. Brighter days ahead, the boys will earn them pinstripes back.

individually speaking thought the 175 for Malvern had a great tournament.
I agree on the 175 match. Those two wrestlers have went after multiple times over the last few years. It is always a match that will not let you down. After the dust settles after every match both wrestlers shake hands and move on. Im sure there is much respect for each other when it is all said and done.
as far as the tourney goes, Tusky Valley had a real nice tourney, good kids and coaching staff all around. Congratulations to Indian Valley but they should be in a different league. They are a very competitive DII team wrestling less competitive DIII teams. The league has been wrestling for 2nd place since they entered the IVC. JMO

The rest of the Claymont Wrestlers did not display anything close to that..by all accounts this was atypical behavior by the wrestler that was DQ. What are you basing the statement that Claymont Coaches don’t have any control??
Was it though? I believe he lost a match at the hall of fame tournament because he couldn’t keep his cool. Seems like maybe it’s just escalated?

Claymonts 113 picked up Sandy Valleys 113 after the whistle had blown and slammed him on his head onto the hardwood floor. Pretty egregious. Claymont wrestler was DQed from the tourney. Then all hell ensued. SV coaches yelling at the Claymont kid, Some Claymont fans cheering that the SV wrestler got slammed…middle fingers, SV parents going after Claymont coaches…they stopped the tournament to have a coaches meeting.
Wow that's crazy I've just always tried to give the Claymont program their props. That young man definitely deserves to be out the post season.

I agree on the 175 match. Those two wrestlers have went after multiple times over the last few years. It is always a match that will not let you down. After the dust settles after every match both wrestlers shake hands and move on. Im sure there is much respect for each other when it is all said and done.
as far as the tourney goes, Tusky Valley had a real nice tourney, good kids and coaching staff all around. Congratulations to Indian Valley but they should be in a different league. They are a very competitive DII team wrestling less competitive DIII teams. The league has been wrestling for 2nd place since they entered the IVC. JMO
IV has only been in the league 6 years. Our 1st year in Clay won nd 2 years ago SV won. This is the first year we’ve been the biggest school in the league . We don’t have that kind of success in any other other sport though we are typically at least good at all sports. Since joining the league TV has more team titles than IV and Hiland is only 1 behind. I’d say IV is a perfect fit for the IVC.

Updated IVC titles since IVC expansion in the fall of 2017.

Tusky Valley - 22
Indian Valley 18
Hiland - 17
Strasburg - 14
East Canton - 13
Sandy Valley - 8
Garaway - 7
Malvern - 6
TCC - 6
Ridgewood - 4
Newcomerstown - 3
Claymont - 2
Buckeye Trail - 1

IV has only been in the league 6 years. Our 1st year in Clay won nd 2 years ago SV won. This is the first year we’ve been the biggest school in the league . We don’t have that kind of success in any other other sport though we are typically at least good at all sports. Since joining the league TV has more team titles than IV and Hiland is only 1 behind. I’d say IV is a perfect fit for the IVC.

Tusky Valley - 22
Indian Valley 18
Hiland - 17
Strasburg - 14
East Canton - 13
Sandy Valley - 8
Garaway - 7
Malvern - 6
TCC - 6
Ridgewood - 4
Newcomerstown - 3
Claymont - 2
Buckeye Trail - 1
Interesting. Do these numbers reflect both boy and girl titles? If so it would be interesting to see these broke down by gender

Tusky Valley - 22
Indian Valley 18
Hiland - 17
Strasburg - 14
East Canton - 13
Sandy Valley - 8
Garaway - 7
Malvern - 6
TCC - 6
Ridgewood - 4
Newcomerstown - 3
Claymont - 2
Buckeye Trail - 1
I get it that one sport doesnt dictate a schools league, but in wrestling they are the clear favorites.

I get it that one sport doesnt dictate a schools league, but in wrestling they are the clear favorites.
A better option would probably be to add a few more big schools and give a big and small school title. It would be beneficial for all sports as well. Unfortunately, I feel like that ship has sailed with teams like Cambridge, Meadowbrook, Coshocton, Riverview, etc, probably no longer an option.

A better option would probably be to add a few more big schools and give a big and small school title. It would be beneficial for all sports as well. Unfortunately, I feel like that ship has sailed with teams like Cambridge, Meadowbrook, Coshocton, Riverview, etc, probably no longer an option.
Rumor has it that the EBC is folding..if so Carrollton and Minerva would be a perfect fit. The big school division would look almost identical to the old Senate League.

I'm surprised at how small some of these leagues are, I seen one league with 6 teams and 2 people in the bracket. In the Sandusky Bay Conference (SBC) I counted 19 teams. Seems like they could combine some leagues and make them alot more competitive

Yeah considering claymonts 7th and 8th graders beat iv in a dual by like 60 points gtfo 😂 Warner is getting this program back to where it should be
IV has 5 real good kids wrestling club that dont wrestle for the school.maybe more.big difference from jr high to high school is if the kids stick around for there home school.if the coaching and a few other things dont get straightened out at IV then the IV program could take a hit.IVC is a good league,and leagues are hard to get in to.leave the league alone.school size doesnt dictate success.claymont was middle of the league in the ecol.hmm remember

Wont be the favorite for very long lol claymont is on a resurgence.

Yeah considering claymonts 7th and 8th graders beat iv in a dual by like 60 points gtfo 😂 Warner is getting this program back to where it should be
Numbers are up but jr high results don't mean jack crap. If that's the case then garaway will be loaded next yr as almost their whole team is 8th graders.

IV has 5 real good kids wrestling club that dont wrestle for the school.maybe more.big difference from jr high to high school is if the kids stick around for there home school.if the coaching and a few other things dont get straightened out at IV then the IV program could take a hit.IVC is a good league,and leagues are hard to get in to.leave the league alone.school size doesnt dictate success.claymont was middle of the league in the ecol.hmm remember
My educated guess says half of them won’t be wrestling at IV next year!

My educated guess says half of them won’t be wrestling at IV next year!
Or your just hoping sorry as long as IV has a great program nobody is going to be knocking on stangs door anytime soon. Now I do agree the stangs program is on the up but no way IV wresters transfer over with the program they built. Honestly IMO I could see some claymont wrestlers transferring to IV.

Or your just hoping sorry as long as IV has a great program nobody is going to be knocking on stangs door anytime soon. Now I do agree the stangs program is on the up but no way IV wresters transfer over with the program they built. Honestly IMO I could see some claymont wrestlers transferring to IV.
I don’t believe any Claymont kid that is or has left went for their wrestling program? They did not leave for our coaching staff in wrestling lol let’s be real. They came because our the baseball and football programs. Plain and simple. Sounds like Garaway is gonna be competing for that IVC title tho with all those Jr.High standouts 🤣

We can revisit in August.

We will see about that one. Nobody gets in their own way like Claymont does. I can't tell you how many junior high mustang football teams beat Dover, Phila and us over the years only to result in 3-7 4-6 seasons. Hope the stangs can get something rolling. I miss the rivary. From the looks of things school spirit is at an all time low. Some major problems going on with the strength and conditioning program. But for now, hoping Coach Braun stays and keeps dominating IVC wrestling!

Seems like a lot of travel for them but other than that its a great fit.
No more travel than Carrollton and Minerva already does. Garaway and Ridgewood would be the longest hauls. Carrolton already plays Garaway in football. Minerva would add 15 minutes on their drive. SV and TV are 15 minutes away. Its 45 minutes to Claymont for Carrollton. Carrollton already travels 45 minutes to Alliance, West Branch, Marlington and Salem. IV, Clay, TV, SV, Garaway, Ridgewood, Carrollton and Minerva would be a perfect big school division for all sports.

Last edited:
Watching the IVC sure makes me miss the old ECOL... there was a day when Claymont, IV, Cambridge, Dover, Phila, River View, Coshocton, Meadowbrook all had nice wrestling programs. There weren't many Byes in the 8 man brackets in those days and you could always count on a handful of state qualifiers/placers in every weight class. The glory days of wrestling in this area have long gone.

Dusty will stay at IV if a certain someone leaves him alone and lets him run his program the way he sees fit. I won't say anymore than that...