IVC 23-24

Ahhh. There's the jealously we know and love. I said I root for IVC teams. That was me. And I do. My kids went to East Holmes. Its East of Dover if your directionally challenged. 🙂. Also I know a lot of coaches and athletes from the rest of the IVC and talk to them quite a bit. Great people for the most part. Many great schools in Holmes and Tusc. Oh and it's a shared title if both teams win next week. Oh you forgot to mention IV has an exchange student and a transfer from Strasburg that had a big game last night. 🤭
Speaking of directionally challenged! Wouldn’t East Holmes be West of Dover? Don’t let that East thing fool ya😂😂

I know this is the boys forum but how long is the IVC going to continue to put on this ridiculous girls' basketball showcase event? The games are an utter joke every year. I am not sure a team from the South has ever lost a game and they are almost all blowouts. They hold the event at the farthest point from every other school and they know that even though the event sucks the parents will come and they can charge $8 to come watch their kids. The IVC should be paying the fans $8 to attend this event.

I know the equity crowd would be upset but other than them who actually wants this event? I doubt the coaches want it. I know the players don't. Do they just have it because they feel like they need to so they can have a Boys' Showcase?

I know this is the boys forum but how long is the IVC going to continue to put on this ridiculous girls' basketball showcase event? The games are an utter joke every year. I am not sure a team from the South has ever lost a game and they are almost all blowouts. They hold the event at the farthest point from every other school and they know that even though the event sucks the parents will come and they can charge $8 to come watch their kids. The IVC should be paying the fans $8 to attend this event.

I know the equity crowd would be upset but other than them who actually wants this event? I doubt the coaches want it. I know the players don't. Do they just have it because they feel like they need to so they can have a Boys' Showcase?
There are some serious issues in girls basketball. It's better every decade, but there are some fixed realities that remain.

One problem is that most sports fans are male and most men and boys do not want to watch females play basketball. We have Title IX and this new equity stuff that tries to contrive sameness, but you can't force people to like something they don't like.

I never liked it either, but I had a dau and so I had to spend thousands of hours numbing my fat arse on a bleacher watching girls play basketball, so I made an effort to like it. The first thing I had to do was stop comparing it to the boys game. Boys play a smoother game and it's easier to watch. It relies on speed and athleticism and is played at or above the rim. The girls game is played below the rim, is more disjointed with more stoppages in play, less athletic, and relies more on execution. If you can appreciate the execution aspect, you can enjoy the girls game.

Another problem is fundamental skill level. I don't think many schools care about girls basketball. There aren't a lot of good coaches and there is a lack of commitment to systematic fundamental skill instruction. Girls who play in the 7th grade without being able to dribble with either hand, execute chest and bounce passes, set screens, block out, secure a rebound with both hands, make an outlet pass to start a break, shoot with form, get in a defensive stance, etc., - get killed when they play a team that has been learning those skills since they were 5 year olds. And you see them move into HS without mastering those skills too often.

I was watching the Hiland girls play on streaming with the sound off the other night. They are very skilled. But I kept saying, "girls" - in a frustrated tone. My wife finally asked me why I was doing that. Lol.

Girls do some infuriating things. On 3 straight plays Hiland tried to make 3/4 court one-handed passes to a streaking player and turned it over on all 3 attempts. Very few girls can make that pass, but the ones that can't will keep doing it even after consecutive failures!

End of clock situations really irk me in girls basketball. I even see it in college. There's 10-15 sec left (or less) and it seems about half the time, they never even get a shot off. It's almost like they don't have an awareness of when they have to shoot the ball so time runs out with them dribbling or passing when they should be shooting!

Another peeve of mine is boys secure a rebound, chin the ball, instinctively pivot away from the defense, and everyone runs to the other end as he gets the outlet pass to a guard. Girls often get a rebound, bring the ball to their waist, and won't pivot away from opposing players (sometimes pivot into the defense) - all of which invites the other players to stay in the paint hacking at the ball, which often causes it to be dislodged or tied up. If that doesn't happen, I see too much where the rebounder is in such a hurry to get the ball to the guard, she throws it OOB or it gets picked off - all because she didn't wait one second until it was there. Drives me nuts. Lol.

There just aren't enough highly skilled teams with elite athletes on them, so we don't see a lot of competitive games. The best games are when two highly skilled teams play. The competitive games are most often among the low skill teams and those are unwatchable.

People appreciate and want to see greatness - or, at least, exceptional performers and athletes. Caitlin Clark is proving that right now. Women and girls basketball needs more Caitlins, but the reason she is such a phenom is that she is such a rare player. But if girls basketball can do more to teach skills more broadly and find more exceptional athletes to play the sport, I think they can attract more fans, men in particular. But despite the nonsense gender ideas floating around today, there are differences in size, speed, strength, and athleticism between the sexes and women will have trouble appealing to some people because of that. FWIW

As it is, if society has determined that girls sports must have the exact same opportunities as boys, then we will continue to have a girls showcase if the boys have one.

I suspect Coach B Schlabach would rather play Newark, Reynoldsburg, Mason, etc., than the #1 team in the IVC North, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Will buckeye trails best player be back for malvern game or is he done for the year?
Rumor is that it’s not a season ending injury, just needs some time. He was no longer with crutches last night, but in a boot. Possibly next week but the focus is on a healthy tourney.
There are some serious issues in girls basketball. It's better every decade, but there are some fixed realities that remain.

One problem is that most sports fans are male and most men and boys do not want to watch females play basketball. We have Title IX and this new equity stuff that tries to contrive sameness, but you can't force people to like something they don't like.

I never liked it either, but I had a dau and so I had to spend thousands of hours numbing my fat arse on a bleacher watching girls play basketball, so I made an effort to like it. The first thing I had to do was stop comparing it to the boys game. Boys play a smoother game and it's easier to watch. It relies on speed and athleticism and is played at or above the rim. The girls game is played below the rim, is more disjointed with more stoppages in play, less athletic, and relies more on execution. If you can appreciate the execution aspect, you can enjoy the girls game.

Another problem is fundamental skill level. I don't think many schools care about girls basketball. There aren't a lot of good coaches and there is a lack of commitment to systematic fundamental skill instruction. Girls who play in the 7th grade without being able to dribble with either hand, execute chest and bounce passes, set screens, block out, secure a rebound with both hands, make an outlet pass to start a break, shoot with form, get in a defensive stance, etc., - get killed when they play a team that has been learning those skills since they were 5 year olds. And you see them move into HS without mastering those skills too often.

I was watching the Hiland girls play on streaming with the sound off the other night. They are very skilled. But I kept saying, "girls" - in a frustrated tone. My wife finally asked me why I was doing that. Lol.

Girls do some infuriating things. On 3 straight plays Hiland tried to make 3/4 court one-handed passes to a streaking player and turned it over on all 3 attempts. Very few girls can make that pass, but the ones that can't will keep doing it even after consecutive failures!

End of clock situations really irk me in girls basketball. I even see it in college. There's 10-15 sec left (or less) and it seems about half the time, they never even get a shot off. It's almost like they don't have an awareness of when they have to shoot the ball so time runs out with them dribbling or passing when they should be shooting!

Another peeve of mine is boys secure a rebound, chin the ball, instinctively pivot away from the defense, and everyone runs to the other end as he gets the outlet pass to a guard. Girls often get a rebound, bring the ball to their waist, and won't pivot away from opposing players (sometimes pivot into the defense) - all of which invites the other players to stay in the paint hacking at the ball, which often causes it to be dislodged or tied up. If that doesn't happen, I see too much where the rebounder is in such a hurry to get the ball to the guard, she throws it OOB or it gets picked off - all because she didn't wait one second until it was there. Drives me nuts. Lol.

There just aren't enough highly skilled teams with elite athletes on them, so we don't see a lot of competitive games. The best games are when two highly skilled teams play. The competitive games are most often among the low skill teams and those are unwatchable.

People appreciate and want to see greatness - or, at least, exceptional performers and athletes. Caitlin Clark is proving that right now. Women and girls basketball needs more Caitlins, but the reason she is such a phenom is that she is such a rare player. But if girls basketball can do more to teach skills more broadly and find more exceptional athletes to play the sport, I think they can attract more fans, men in particular. But despite the nonsense gender ideas floating around today, there are differences in size, speed, strength, and athleticism between the sexes and women will have trouble appealing to some people because of that. FWIW

As it is, if society has determined that girls sports must have the exact same opportunities as boys, then we will continue to have a girls showcase if the boys have one.

I suspect Coach B Schlabach would rather play Newark, Reynoldsburg, Mason, etc., than the #1 team in the IVC North, but it is what it is.
Would be interesting to know whether the north coaches (boys or girls) even take it seriously these days? Just something they have to do and pray no one gets hurt for tourneys.

Who gets Malvern in the showcase, providing Hiland and IV both win there games this Tuesday,if they both win Tuesday which they should and there co-champs,does the tie breaker then go to the overall record, looks like it should be IV vs Malvern

I sure hope we get to play malvern we had a better schedule overall so hope that goes in the consideration. I looked at the east bracket I think it is the weakest bracket I had seen. Monroe central is not that good after looking at there schedule they play no one that is why they are undefeated. Only team I am worried about is the jeeps with the size they have. I am not sure about there bench I watch a little on YouTube they did not sub a lot if any. They are definitely not on the same level as OG I think we should cruise hopefully we don’t have a brain fart like we did against garaway.

Who gets Malvern in the showcase, providing Hiland and IV both win there games this Tuesday,if they both win Tuesday which they should and there co-champs,does the tie breaker then go to the overall record, looks like it should be IV vs Malvern
I asked the question(to IVC people) and they said they did not know yet. My understanding was they would leave it up to the ADs in the Wednesday meeting. Didn't sound like they had a definitive process unless they just didn't want to tell me. I think East Canton and Buckeye Trail are both pretty solid teams and there should be some good matchups in the upper half.

I sure hope we get to play malvern we had a better schedule overall so hope that goes in the consideration. I looked at the east bracket I think it is the weakest bracket I had seen. Monroe central is not that good after looking at there schedule they play no one that is why they are undefeated. Only team I am worried about is the jeeps with the size they have. I am not sure about there bench I watch a little on YouTube they did not sub a lot if any. They are definitely not on the same level as OG I think we should cruise hopefully we don’t have a brain fart like we did against garaway.
Monroe Central is good. Haven't played anybody but they are good. They play Martin's Ferry I believe next week so that would be the one of the best teams they play. Tucker Howell is a star and im not sure who would gaurd him for Hiland. People thinking Hiland will just walk through the district don't understand how big of a loss big Alex Yoder was.

Loosing Alex Yoder is huge but it seats that we are still beating teams that are bigger than we are. We did struggle with Indian valley not sure how much Alex Yoder would have made a difference we went overtime with him the first time around. I think we will be prepared I don’t think one player had beat us in the tournament yet I remember Caldwell having a very good player when we played them at Cambridge we held him to like 12 points it was a total blowout. I am just glad we are not in division 3 in the east bracket that is brutal.

Loosing Alex Yoder is huge but it seats that we are still beating teams that are bigger than we are. We did struggle with Indian valley not sure how much Alex Yoder would have made a difference we went overtime with him the first time around. I think we will be prepared I don’t think one player had beat us in the tournament yet I remember Caldwell having a very good player when we played them at Cambridge we held him to like 12 points it was a total blowout. I am just glad we are not in division 3 in the east bracket that is brutal.
Tyson Pryor wouldn't have been the force he was, with Alex Yoder in there,he killed us on the boards,he got some key offensive rebounds and scored some points off them

We beat Monroe’s central at home last year 70-30 I can’t see they improved that much we are better then last year.
There schedule is somewhat weak, but MC is a much improved team,the two Martins Ferry games they have with them at the end of the season will tell me more,MF has played Indian Valley at IV and lost by 7,they played Garaway at the CV showcase and lost by 8, so we will see if Monroe Central is the real deal or not

The D3 East bracket is brutal. Lots of talented teams that are going to take each other out when a number of them could compete past the district. Expending divisions will help with this. For example, Trail will be a Div 6 while

The D3 East bracket is brutal. Lots of talented teams that are going to take each other out when a number of them could compete past the district. Expending divisions will help with this. For example, Trail will be a Div 6 while
Sorry, Trail and Malvern will likely be D6 while many of the others will be 5’s.

I hear what you are saying but I think just about every coach, player and parent of girls' basketball in the IVC would rather be able to schedule their own 22nd game instead of driving to Hiland for a game that will be non-competitive.

The girl's showcase does a complete disservice to the players and for what? Political correctness?

I hear what you are saying but I think just about every coach, player and parent of girls' basketball in the IVC would rather be able to schedule their own 22nd game instead of driving to Hiland for a game that will be non-competitive.

The girl's showcase does a complete disservice to the players and for what? Political correctness?
You can make the same argument for most of the IVC girls schedule. There have been no more than 3 teams per year over the last 30 years that were competing for an IVC championship and was capable of making it to a regional.

Often it has been two: Garaway and Hiland. Strasburg has competed at times, Malvern when they had Sara Loomis and the Great Doug Wackerly. :) NCT had a decent team about a dozen years ago. RW was worth watching at about the same time with Kayla Tedrick. Other teams have had players to see and offered some degree of challenge. But too often after you get past the first 2 or 3 teams, and the games aren't interesting or competitive. Before the running clock, I sat through a bunch of 95-12 games.

At one point Hiland asked to make the league schedule a deal where each team played every other team once and schedule outside the IVC for the leftover games, but that was good for Hiland and Garaway (or whoever else was looking to make a tourny run) but the rest of the league wanted to take their drubbings locally.

I will offer what I think the easiest solution is. I believe successful girls coaches want to see IVC and statewide girls basketball to get better and are willing to share how they do it. So the league grabs coaches who have run successful programs and have them share what they have been doing: biddy ball, camps, how they are teaching skills, what their lifting/strength program consists of, their practice schedules, gym rat programs, summer activity, conditioning, motivation, scouting, etc.

I believe success in this sport is about being intentional about skill development, gaining advantages in certain areas, and working through certain elements. Not everyone can consistently compete for state championships but every coach can elevate individual players and their team by doing what successful coaches do. FWIW

If Claymont would knock off IV, they would still play Malvern? That seems odd to have the 2nd place team play the first place team.

The gap between the top to the middle tier is huge. Hiland, TV, and Strasburg are way ahead of the rest to of the league. But the parents at TV and Strasburg are crazy. Just hearing them complain is messed up. I don't know why coaches would put up with it. They are lucky to have the coaches they have. I don't know what coaches get paid but it's not enough.

Your 100 percent sure about this, providing Hiland and IV both win tonight,I thought the matchups weren't set till after Tuesday league play
Malvern basketball twitter made a post abt their schedule for this week and it says a Saturday night matchup with Indian valley. Also big time sports as them on their page for broadcasted games

This is what I saw

Attachments

• IMG_4770.png
    IMG_4770.png
    251.9 KB · Views: 47
This is what I saw
It would be a good matchup if it goes that way. I'm sure Hiland would want Malvern but Trail or East Canton would also be a good matchup for them. Hilands already played 2 of the top teams in D3 earlier this year. I've asked different people how good Malvern is and it seems like there's a different answer every time.

It looks like we should play strausburg in the sectional finals and the first game of the district is really easy as well Toronto is not good. I also notice that rosecrans will play Monroe central they had a tougher schedule then MC and lost to Martian ferry’s by 10 so we could end up playing rosecrans with I would rather play. When are they going to announce the IVC showcase games.

I did that Troy Christian beat OG by 12 that is a shocker Hiland should have definitely beat them. Troy Christian got beat by Russia pretty bad it looks like good teams coming out of Cincy that could compete with Richmond heights. I still think the district is pretty weak this year. And the regionals as well except for the jeeps. Hiland has not played a division 4 team all year.

It looks like we should play strausburg in the sectional finals and the first game of the district is really easy as well Toronto is not good. I also notice that rosecrans will play Monroe central they had a tougher schedule then MC and lost to Martian ferry’s by 10 so we could end up playing rosecrans with I would rather play. When are they going to announce the IVC showcase games.
Wednesday morning sometime,I just talk to reliable source, I'm not real sure if Toronto will make it of there sectional,I think any of those four teams could make it out

Last edited: