IVC 23-24

I am not sure I didn’t look but Alex had a nice game only if he would have hit his foul shots at the end. Is there anyone big at Hiland that can come in a play someone from the baseball team lol.

I think we will be ok as long as we don’t get anyone to big we are still very quick and I think the tournament with the normal division 4 teams we should not have any problem and we are fast enough to compete against Richmond heights as long they have anyone big.

I was at the Sandy game. Sandys a good team. The Lucas Gillum kid is a crazy athlete and he almost beat Hiland by himself. One thing no one will talk about is that whoever guarded Faeillo locked him down or at least slowed him quite a bit and that to me was the key to the game. I saw what he did against IV early this year. Lot of respect for Dante. Good kid and probably the player of the year in the South or at in consideration. The refs called a lot of touch fouls. Weren't very good but it was the same for both teams. Both coaches were complaining. Just my 2 cents.

I was at the Sandy game. Sandys a good team. The Lucas Gillum kid is a crazy athlete and he almost beat Hiland by himself. One thing no one will talk about is that whoever guarded Faeillo locked him down or at least slowed him quite a bit and that to me was the key to the game. I saw what he did against IV early this year. Lot of respect for Dante. Good kid and probably the player of the year in the South or at in consideration. The refs called a lot of touch fouls. Weren't very good but it was the same for both teams. Both coaches were complaining. Just my 2 cents.
Wasn't at the game wonder if Sammy D. guarded Faiello,Sam is a very good defensive player to,

I find it hard to believe the refs are bad in every hiland game lol
I will say it until I'm blue in the face. Refs do not decide games. They can impact games, but even if they are, by some standard, incompetent, that cuts both ways. They can help you some or present a challenge, but it's up to the coaches and players to adapt to whatever they are doing and win the game through execution. They generally make a lot good calls and a few bad ones. Some crews call it close and others loose - sometimes the same crew on different nights. That's the nature of officiating. We need them to play a game - so let's cut them a break.

It helps to acknowledge our fan bias. We are not seeing the game objectively, but with a strong slant. Many of the calls we think are bad are, in fact, correct.

It's also a math issue. Refs make several dozen calls and maybe a few hundred call/non-call decisions during a game. The 10 players on the floor and both coaching staffs make combined thousands. Ergo, coaches and players determine the outcome of games. Refs do not.

So, if you are guilty of ref-bashing, say three Hail Marys and two Our Fathers. And go and sin no more. :)

No we don't have any kind of size, close to Alex Y , just bunch of guys around 6' or 6'1", so we are going to have to make the best of what we got, looks like Sam W. or Logan H will probably start...
There would have been years where two 6 footers would have constituted good size at Hiland. I remember Nate Hershberger starting in the post around 2000. He was about 5'10" but strong as an ox. It was fun to watch those guys play.

Mark knows how to play with a smaller line up. It's hard to change your playing style in the middle of the year, but he will have to adapt it some.

On the good news front, Neil and Logan Gingrich have a 1 year old son and Dustin Kaufman has one about a year older. His brother Dylan is married and Seger is getting married. Hopefully they can figure out conception. I will send them step-by-step instructions with diagrams, if necessary. We might have another crop of giants here in about 14-18 years. Lol.

you know Logan is a Hornet and her mom's last name was Tucci
Uh, yes. I was at her wedding as a guest of the bride and irritate her mom and dad quite frequently. :)

Sorry Wack. We claim her as a Hawk now - much to Grandpa Smalley's dismay. ;)

I keep telling him that he will look good in red, white, and black gear when his grandlittles start playing ball. You know him, he just grunts, gags, and grumps about it. Lol

I love all of those people dearly.

Last edited:
There would have been years where two 6 footers would have constituted good size at Hiland. I remember Nate Hershberger starting in the post around 2000. He was about 5'10" but strong as an ox. It was fun to watch those guys play.

Mark knows how to play with a smaller line up. It's hard to change your playing style in the middle of the year, but he will have to adapt it some.

On the good news front, Neil and Logan Gingrich have a 1 year old son and Dustin Kaufman has one about a year older. His brother Dylan is married and Seger is getting married. Hopefully they can figure out conception. I will send them step-by-step instructions with diagrams, if necessary. We might have another crop of giants here in about 14-18 years. Lol.
Wouldn't that be good be great, those were some very very good teams back in 10,11,and 12 hope I'm around to see it,if all there sons played for Hiland

The closer we get to the IVC showcase, the more possibilities of some interesting matchups could happen,in the IVC South vs IVC North

Wouldn't that be good be great, those were some very very good teams back in 10,11,and 12 hope I'm around to see it,if all there sons played for Hiland
Our luck, those boys will all be 6-5 to 6-10, but will want to dance ballet or something.

I notice last night that Alex can’t be guarded he can drive to the bucket every time he is fast and we may not have a lot of heights now but we still get rebounds Conner Brecht can jump he is fast as well. Number 3 for sandy valley could not guard Alex that is why he fouled out. I heard mark say these refs are terrible they cost us 15 points. I sure hope we can play malvern in the IVC showcase.

I notice last night that Alex can’t be guarded he can drive to the bucket every time he is fast and we may not have a lot of heights now but we still get rebounds Conner Brecht can jump he is fast as well. Number 3 for sandy valley could not guard Alex that is why he fouled out. I heard mark say these refs are terrible they cost us 15 points. I sure hope we can play malvern in the IVC showcase.
We need to get this W against a very good TV team on Friday at home and root for Sandy on Saturday to beat IV at Sandy ,if both things fall our way we could have a two game lead on SV and IV,I guess first we just need to take care of our business first on Friday

I figured Nick and Alex numbers would fall some when Sammy came back, but they just need to take the shots when there open, it will help with there conference and take the pressure off of Sammy

Nick W had 17 points last night for Hiland and Alex M had 16. They stepped up big when Sammy fouled out. Those two also had very strong offensive numbers in the first seven games when SD was out.
Sammy did hit 2 big 3s in the 4th quarter before he fouled out. I thought every player that played contributed in some way last night. It seems like since the Garaway game Hilands had better ball movement and kids are being more aggressive and are playing free. Team played to tight at Garaway and then Sammy tried to do much. Kids got pushed all over the court. That's not happening anymore. Hawks don't win a game like last night last year with SD fouling out. Nicks defense looks like its improving as well. Really smooth skilled player. Just needs to be aggressive all the time.

Looked like the Schilling kid went off for East Canton
Yep…had some major problems with the height. Two guys that tall are such a gift for EC. Shilling is a handful and he seems to get better everytime we see him. Had some questionable calls but it is what it is. We did not play our best ball.

Can East Canton or Trail give Malvern a run for there money the second time around, the only down side is there both at Malvern

Wow I just saw that tj crumble is out at Richmond heights it was ruled he was ineligible that is going to hurt they are already struggling maybe they won’t make it to state.

Anyone else think an upset may happen tomorrow in the malvern @ strasburg game? Tigers look like there getting back to their old defensive ways