Israel refuses to investigate after soldiers shoot and kill American citizen

Bull GreenDog

Shireen Abu Akleh was a Palestinian journalist with American citizenship. On May 11, she was with several other journalists (all wearing blue vests marked "press") reporting on an IDF raid of a Palestinian refugee camp in the Israeli-occupied West Bank. Abu Akleh was shot and killed, and Israel is now refusing to investigate the killing. Israeli soldiers originally claimed "she was standing near Palestinian militants" and thus unintentionally shot, a video posted on Twitter by BBC reporter Rushdi Abualouf suggests otherwise. Israeli reporter Amos Harel has stated that a real investigation would provoke "opposition and controversy within the IDF and in Israeli society in general" so there won't be one.

57 congressmen have signed a letter asking the state department and FBI to independently investigate Abu Akleh's death themselves. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Israel can’t be touched. They’re Golden.
This is true. They buy off, or attempt to buy off, pretty much every politician and government official in DC for the “special relationship.” They talk a good game in public, but they are just another bad actor in the Middle East and just another reason for us to stay out of the poisonous politics of that region as much as possible.

This seems led by Rep. Andre Carson, a Muslim.
Doesn’t matter. Stay out of Middle East affairs as much as possibly. No good actors over there. Just some nations who claim to be your ally, but only for their convenience and other nations that flat out hate us. Let them all destroy each other. We only need the oil and we don’t even need that if we get back to work on our own production.

IMO It does matter that a Muslim is leading this "call for investigation". Add being a Democrat his motivation.

Israelis already live under the threat of attack and death everyday. Hamas has it in their constitution that the annihilation of Israel is their mission. So no, I don't lump them all together as you do.

It will all be settled someday at Armageddon and the return of Jesus Christ where He will set up His government. Until then, there will be no peace there.

And yes, love Trump or hate him, becoming less oil dependent on other countries was better for US. But this administration has different goals.

Doesn’t matter. Stay out of Middle East affairs as much as possibly. No good actors over there. Just some nations who claim to be your ally, but only for their convenience and other nations that flat out hate us. Let them all destroy each other. We only need the oil and we don’t even need that if we get back to work on our own production.

If we fail to support our citizens when wrong is inflicted by an ally, particularly one representing the freedom we're all about, we're impotent. Who runs us? Us or them?

Staying "out of it," I think is extreme. I'm not sure what formal governments in the ME still have war aspirations against Israel, they're becoming used to western living. But those things can tilt with one change of leadership. That will lead to a war that will lead to many needless deaths and crater the economy.

No one is going to war over this but there has to be some response, some insistence on investigation and some sense of justice.

Last edited:
We need Israel. No two ways about it. They are a PIA, but we do benefit from the relationship.

If we fail to support our citizens when wrong is inflicted by an ally, particularly one representing the freedom we're all about, we're impotent. Who runs us? Us or them?

Staying "out of it," I think is extreme. I'm not sure what formal governments in the ME still have war aspirations against Israel, they're becoming used to western living. But those things can tilt with one change of leadership. That will lead to a war that will lead to many needless deaths and crater the economy.

No one is going to war over this but there has to be some response, some insistence on investigation and some sense of justice.
She is as much of a US citizen as the US citizens we abandoned in Afghanistan. We can investigate this woman’s death after we investigate Joe Biden’s de facto murder and/or torture of those American citizens ?

She is as much of a US citizen as the US citizens we abandoned in Afghanistan. We can investigate this woman’s death after we investigate Joe Biden’s de facto murder and/or torture of those American citizens ?

If we can't do more than one thing at a time, again, impotent. The politic you bring here is not uncommon. But it's what is used to attempt to stagnant any justice. We have to do this before that. You know that makes no sense. There is no connect to what happened to this citizen to what happened in Afghanistan or Liberia or whereever that those have to be done and concluded until this current event is forgotten.

You realize if we stay out of Middle East affairs that several muslim nations would cease to exist over night

This I know if fighting breaks out I do not care what your citizenship is if you are on the the side that has Israel attacking it all I can say is shame on you and I hope you are ready to die.

IMO It does matter that a Muslim is leading this "call for investigation". Add being a Democrat his motivation.

Israelis already live under the threat of attack and death everyday. Hamas has it in their constitution that the annihilation of Israel is their mission. So no, I don't lump them all together as you do.
Yes, its true that Hamas and several other Arab militant groups want to destroy Israel. But its important to understand why.

In 1947 Israel established their state, with the backing of the West, in the homeland of the Palestinian people, which had been controlled by the British since the collapse of the Ottoman Empire after WW1. In 1948, 700,000 Palestinians were expelled from their homes and an estimated 400 Arab towns and villages were destroyed in what is known as the Nabka. While originally there was to be a partition of British Palestine between Jews and Arabs, with two independent states, today, all Palestinian territory is occupied by Israel. Palestinians are now treated as second class citizens, a persecuted minority in what was for centuries their own homeland.

Of course, Israel is not unique, as plenty of nations were established through warfare and conquest. But Palestinians wanting to restore their old homeland is understandable.

Yes, its true that Hamas and several other Arab militant groups want to destroy Israel. But its important to understand why.

In 1947 Israel established their state, with the backing of the West, in the homeland of the Palestinian people, which had been controlled by the British since the collapse of the Ottoman Empire after WW1. In 1948, 700,000 Palestinians were expelled from their homes and an estimated 400 Arab towns and villages were destroyed in what is known as the Nabka. While originally there was to be a partition of British Palestine between Jews and Arabs, with two independent states, today, all Palestinian territory is occupied by Israel. Palestinians are now treated as second class citizens, a persecuted minority in what was for centuries their own homeland.

Of course, Israel is not unique, as plenty of nations were established through warfare and conquest. But Palestinians wanting to restore their old homeland is understandable.
The region has been conquered and reconquered before Christ. Jews, Christians, and Muslims…

It is true that Britain allowing Balfour to become the Jewish State sparked modern animosity. It was an overreaction to WWII atrocities.

I’m no fan of Israel. With that said, there have been countless attempts at resolution over the years and as many have noted, dealing with the PLO is like dealing with neighborhood thugs. Corrupt and unwilling of compromise.

Seriously? Google it.
You're speaking nonsense. You can see a thousand interviews with Palestinians and Israelis talking about the good times. But okay, Jesus will fix it. I don't care what your beliefs are but the problem can be rectified without waiting for Armageddon. Which I believe in.

What does "a Muslim said it" have to do with anything? Good for him, he should.

Last edited:
From 1516-1917 Palestine was part of the Ottoman Empire, with the exception of the 6-year period from 1834-1840 when it was briefly conquered by Egypt. From 1260-1516 it was part of the Mamluk sultanate. There occasionally were wars during this period, but nothing approaching what has taken place since. It was certainly comparably peaceful.

There is an important distinction between being having one's homeland be brought under the political control of a large empire, and being physically driven off of the land by settlers from another group. From 1533-1890 Arab Muslims made up roughly 90% of the region's population. Now it is around 50%, who mostly live in the occupied territories.

You're speaking nonsense. You can see a thousand interviews with Palestinians and Israelis talking about the good times. But okay, Jesus will fix it. I don't care what your beliefs are but the problem can be rectified without waiting for Armageddon. Which I believe in.

What does "a Muslim said it" have to do with anything? Good for him, he should.
If you believe in Armageddon as you say...the same source says peace will not be secured until the return of Jesus. I trust the Bible more than any other secular media sources.

Yes, its true that Hamas and several other Arab militant groups want to destroy Israel.
Easy to be understanding from here. Imagine that Canada and/or Mexico wanted to destroy us and had the means to do so. Today. You would lose the luxury to recite a history lesson in the name of "understanding".

Easy to be understanding from here. Imagine that Canada and/or Mexico wanted to destroy us and had the means to do so. Today. You would lose the luxury to recite a history lesson in the name of "understanding".
Palestinians do not have the means to destroy Israel. Israel is a nuclear-armed state that also boasts the Iron dome air defense system. In terms of military strength, it is not even remotely close.

Last May, there was a weeklong period of fighting between the IDF and Palestinian militants in Gaza. 260 Gazans died compared to 13 Israelis.

Palestinians do not have the means to destroy Israel. Israel is a nuclear-armed state that also boasts the Iron dome air defense system. In terms of military strength, it is not even remotely close.

Last May, there was a weeklong period of fighting between the IDF and Palestinian militants in Gaza. 260 Gazans died compared to 13 Israelis.
As long as we slavishly support one side, nothing will ever change. Just give them the state already. Worked in Ireland, worked in Serbia...

If we can't do more than one thing at a time, again, impotent. The politic you bring here is not uncommon. But it's what is used to attempt to stagnant any justice. We have to do this before that. You know that makes no sense. There is no connect to what happened to this citizen to what happened in Afghanistan or Liberia or whereever that those have to be done and concluded until this current event is forgotten.
Pretty literal today….

As long as we slavishly support one side, nothing will ever change. Just give them the state already. Worked in Ireland, worked in Serbia...
It's been tried, they won't settle for anything less than the extermination of Israel.

It's been tried, they won't settle for anything less than the extermination of Israel.
An extremely small portion on each side is at war. Millions of Arabs live in Israel quite peacefully. Israel has a problem with a few diehard religious extremists that believe it is their destiny to live in the West Bank, and everybody over there bends over backwards to accomodate them. The settlers chose to move there. It's their problem. If you moved to Mexico should the US move a military regiment in to protect you non-stop?

Palestine, incidentally, causes far less death to Israel than Mexico does to the US.

An extremely small portion on each side is at war. Millions of Arabs live in Israel quite peacefully. Israel has a problem with a few diehard religious extremists that believe it is their destiny to live in the West Bank, and everybody over there bends over backwards to accomodate them. The settlers chose to move there. It's their problem. If you moved to Mexico should the US move a military regiment in to protect you non-stop?

Palestine, incidentally, causes far less death to Israel than Mexico does to the US.
The diehard religious extremists run the other side so kind of a big deal.

I believe you are describing what became Texas.