Is there pay to participate in Ohio?...

SWGA Fan

I figured that the privates probably had a fee to dress out. But I wasn't certain about the publics in your state. I know that many if not all schools in North Georgia, require hundreds of dollars to even be on the team, not to play. But as far as I know, in South Georgia below the gnat line, participation only requires blood, sweat and tears. If there was a multiple hundred-dollar requirement in many rural towns in Georgia. There probably wouldn't be many players on a given team. I noticed in our game with metro Atlanta's Parkview last Friday night. That they only brought about 40-50 players, from a school of 2,800. And I know that they require at least $300.00 to participate. Their baseball team requires a minimum of $3,000.

As an aside, I'm not certain if Colquitt requires the player to buy their own shoes. But I think that the new turfs enable today's players to use a regular sole athletic shoe, that most probably already wear. But if not, I'm sure one of the local shoe stores would donate any foot ware needed.

I figured that the privates probably had a fee to dress out. But I wasn't certain about the publics in your state. I know that many if not all schools in North Georgia, require hundreds of dollars to even be on the team, not to play. But as far as I know, in South Georgia below the gnat line, participation only requires blood, sweat and tears. If there was a multiple hundred-dollar requirement in many rural towns in Georgia. There probably wouldn't be many players on a given team. I noticed in our game with metro Atlanta's Parkview last Friday night. That they only brought about 40-50 players, from a school of 2,800. And I know that they require at least $300.00 to participate. Their baseball team requires a minimum of $3,000.

As an aside, I'm not certain if Colquitt requires the player to buy their own shoes. But I think that the new turfs enable today's players to use a regular sole athletic shoe, that most probably already wear. But if not, I'm sure one of the local shoe stores would donate any foot ware needed.
Pay to play in Ohio is dependent upon the policies of each school district. Some have it, some do not. I've seen fees in excess of $500 in some districts that are suffering financially. (which is a whole different issue in Ohio)

Pay to play in Ohio is dependent upon the policies of each school district. Some have it, some do not. I've seen fees in excess of $500 in some districts that are suffering financially. (which is a whole different issue in Ohio)
Thanks for the response. Although most of you folks probably think that I'm just bragging or probing when I post. It is merely my intention to ask. Because if you DON'T ask, you're just walking around with delusions of grandeur on your face. Unless you happen to be a Democrat who knows everything already. And I subscribe to the ole adage, that the only STUPID questions, are the ones left unasked.

This is just ME, mind you, BUT. SEEMS as though charging parents that sum of money, in an already financially depressed area, seems to be pouring fuel on the fire. That MAY BE part of the subject matter that your former OSU QB was referring to, at his Heisman Trophy ceremony.

This is just ME, mind you, SEEMS as though charging parents that sum of money, in an already financially depressed area, seems to be pouring fuel on the fire. That MAY BE part of the subject matter that your former OSU QB was referring to, at his Heisman Trophy ceremony.
The schools were forced to charge the high pay-to-play fees due to the financial condition of the districts (a whole different issue as to why). Some districts had plenty of well-to-do families as well as plenty of families at the poverty level.

It was either, pay the $500 (sometimes more, sometimes less) or you could not play. Sometimes, there weren't enough who did/could pay, so there was no team.

The schools were forced to charge the high pay-to-play fees due to the financial condition of the districts (a whole different issue as to why). Some districts had plenty of well-to-do families as well as plenty of families at the poverty level.

It was either, pay the $500 (sometimes more, sometimes less) or you could not play. Sometimes, there weren't enough who did/could pay, so there was no team.
Well sir, SOUTH Georgia below Macon, is made up largely of farming communities. Where most of the money is in the hands of the big farmers who supply several large regional and national grocery chains like Harvey's, INGLES, and WALMART. As well as other large landowners in real estate and various other landowning opportunities. MOST, however, are just getting by. The per capita income in most of those counties, runs well under $50,000 per year. And to my knowledge, NO ONE, girl or boy who desires to put in the blood, sweat, and tears to do so. Is denied the ability to participate in ANY sport. But that is not statewide, because in SOUTH Georgia, it just means more. And in the case of Colquitt Co. We have approx. 350-500 football members in our booster club. Other sports have their own athletic booster clubs. And all have fairly substantial membership fees, as well as fundraisers throughout the school year. Just this last season, the Packers bought out a number of out of area opponents, several out of state opponents as well. And we give them a minimum of $15,000 to come to the HOG PEN, back to back. This last season, we hosted Tallahassee Lincoln, Dutch Fork, S.C., Cedar Grove out of the ATL, and Stockbridge from the ATL. And THIS was the fourth season in a row, that nationally ranked Cedar Grove, journeyed to the Hog Pen. It'll be interesting to see if our game with Dutch Fork was a buyout, or a home and home. Now THAT is a trek, about 400 miles. I guess that our reputation preceded us. I don't EVER recall the Dutch Fork Silver Foxes trekking outside of S.C. Not even St. Francis Academy out of Baltimore, got a home game with them. Even Tampa Plant American Heritage Plantation, Fla., and future National Champion South Panola, Miss., came to us. And until we played um, THAT was their only loss by ten points, in the past five seasons. Our sports guys thought that it musta been a down season for them, after our opening game with them. And then, they won game fifteen at Williams Brice Stadium in Columbia.

And to my knowledge, NO ONE, girl or boy who desires to put in the blood, sweat, and tears to do so. Is denied the ability to participate in ANY sport.
Ohio has an unconstitutional form of funding their schools. Unfortunately, the legislature has done nothing about (and the courts have allowed this) fixing the legal issues related to this.

It simply boils down to if the schools do not have the funding for extracirriculars, they are either cut or the funding to sustain those extracirriculars must be generated from another source. Schools that have a majority of wealthy residents in their district face the same issue as those from not so wealthy residents.

It costs schools alot of money to operate, period. Depending on your schools policies and leadership, some feel extracurricular activities are critical to the overall development of students, some do not. The school funding $'s are calculated by a per student basis, so the more students you have, the more money you get from the state. That's why schools never kick students out, even when it makes sense.
If your leadership doesn't think sports are a big deal, then that money is budgeted someplace else and the sports are in jeopardy of going away.
My guess is those areas who have pay to play also have a large number of students who open enroll into other districts. So basically the pay to play folks are stuck and have no other options. Does anyone know what percentage of Ohio schools have pay to play? Just curious.