Is the Scott Killen Era over at Wilmington?

Killen hired in 2014

2014 8-2
2015 7-3
2016 7-3
2017 6-4
2018 4-6
2019 3-7
2020 4-4 (1-1 in playoffs)
2021 3-7

Isn't he a former coordinator from Massie? 2016 game vs Massie was a close game and probably great atmosphere

Was defensive coordinator when Massie won back to back state titles Way I heard He would be endorsed by Mcsurley as Massie new coach when bigger divisions schools came after a head coach with 2 state titles Now when that didn’t happen and Mcsurley stayed He opted for head coach position at Wilmington

I feel like he's a solid coach that came from a great program in Clinton Massie. He's an offensive guy, has his system taken well with the team overall? What specifically are Wilmington's biggest issues in 2021?

You aren't going to find a better coach to take over that program than Scott Killen. He's invested, cares and does a lot for those kids on and off the field. If you look at the talent level since he's taken over, it isn't comparable to Massie's. Wilmington isn't exactly a hot spot for coaches to move to, be careful what you wish for...................................

Killen is a very good football coach and the majority of us from Massie wish him nothing but the best and are thankful for the impact and part he played in helping develop the Massie Football Program during his time at Clinton-Massie.

In life you have people that know and you have people that don't know.

In Wilmington you have people that don't know that they don't know.

I agree with CMorris_99.

Wilmington's issues are not the Football Coach and I am not sure that any Football Coach can fix them.

I don't know anything about the Wilmington coaching situation, however, I always find it amusing how critical communities and "know-it-all" parents living through their children can be so critical. Let's face it, there are not many High School coaches getting wealthy off of coaching at that level and usually there isn't a line of highly competent coaches waiting at the door wanting to take on the commitment of a long HS football season year after year.
In society in general parents need to step back and say what ROLE can my kid play to improve the situation and how can I support the situation instead of being part of the peanut gallery. I see it almost everywhere (especially if the team is not winning), so Wilmington is not alone. Now when the team is winning but those "know-it-all" parents are still not happy then it's the referee, politics or some other variable that's the problem but from those "know-it-all" parents perspective it's never the kid or the parent themselves that is part of the problem.
Be careful what you wish for is right, you may be opening the revolving door to inexperienced coaches looking to land their first Head Coaching position then moving on and a program is never built.

Good question...or does he depart 1st chance he see's something else better? Be interesting to hear Wilmington posters thoughts, if there's any on yappi. Personally I like his coaching style, there's not many coaches more vocal than Scott as personnel are coming on and off the field and pre-snap. Grass isn't always greener on the other side but I understand the frustration with the slow decline from since he took over.

Is it over? IMHO it should be, probably after '15 or '16. He couldn't get to the next level with some talent, won't get there with lesser talent. Good assistant coach, not head coach. I think its funny these CM experts are talking about the know it all parents over here Wilm. For the most part there aren't many here(Wilm.) with any FB knowledge, but there are a few. While the Fatman has built an enviable program, you folks need to realize that without BW, you don't have those 2 rings. For what its worth, when Dan is gone CM will be pedestrian, proof, London spanked the Blue birds when he was sidelined.

The most telling marker of whether a coach is worth keeping is if they’re getting kids out to play. I have no idea what talent is in the hallways at Wilmington, but you can really only be measured against your fullest potential. It’s much easier to be a good program after you’re already a good program. Every quality program has put in the grind years. I know they’re neighbors, but does Massie take any players from Wilmington?

Is it over? IMHO it should be, probably after '15 or '16. He couldn't get to the next level with some talent, won't get there with lesser talent. Good assistant coach, not head coach. I think its funny these CM experts are talking about the know it all parents over here Wilm. For the most part there aren't many here(Wilm.) with any FB knowledge, but there are a few. While the Fatman has built an enviable program, you folks need to realize that without BW, you don't have those 2 rings. For what its worth, when Dan is gone CM will be pedestrian, proof, London spanked the Blue birds when he was sidelined.
Valley View whipped us 1st round the next year with Dan on the sideline, so that theory doesn't really work. And BTW my daughter could of coached the 2012 team and won a championship, best team to ever walk the halls at CM and probably the county, even though I am a BW fan, glad to have him. "know it all parents" and "Fatman" aren't really productive here, I can promise Scott could care less what a parent thinks of his coaching style and "fat man" well I think that says enough about the guy saying it.

Last edited:
The most telling marker of whether a coach is worth keeping is if they’re getting kids out to play. I have no idea what talent is in the hallways at Wilmington, but you can really only be measured against your fullest potential. It’s much easier to be a good program after you’re already a good program. Every quality program has put in the grind years. I know they’re neighbors, but does Massie take any players from Wilmington?
Only 2 come to mind over the last 10 years?! And maybe 1 from CM to Wilmington.

BW was the real deal. Tough and smart. When that kid slid at the 5 against Kenton not scoring a for sure touchdown. He won the game

The “fat man” has done more than an enviable job. 20 years in a row in the playoffs, 2 rings, 1 runner up and a well above .500 record in the playoffs. I saw the program for years before he came and to take this program from bottom of the barrel to one of the top few is nothing short of amazing. You are probably right though, I DON’T envy the guy that follows him. As far as the Wilmy coach goes, He is a good coach and just couldn’t get the kids to buy in IMO. I don’t know how Noska got people to buy in over there but he did. He just didn’t pull the same strings Noska did.

One thing McSurely has done is surround himself with quality assistants (Zantene, Killen, Sewer, Rolfe all in the building when they were winning rings, now he's got Wolfe and Rolfe). I don't think Killen has been able to get a real quality staff at Wilmington. If he could improve some of his staff I think it would make a huge difference.

Good coaches or not it’s a lot more about culture over there than Xs and Os. Your best players can’t misbehave. They have to be good on the field as well as in school and community. Not always true but usually the way it is in small rural places. I see a lot more of this now than 30 years ago. Not sure how you change this.

Good coaches or not it’s a lot more about culture over there than Xs and Os. Your best players can’t misbehave. They have to be good on the field as well as in school and community. Not always true but usually the way it is in small rural places. I see a lot more of this now than 30 years ago. Not sure how you change this.
Great point! I think having some coaches in the building would help with that a little but I don't know how you eliminate it.

Is it over? IMHO it should be, probably after '15 or '16. He couldn't get to the next level with some talent, won't get there with lesser talent. Good assistant coach, not head coach. I think its funny these CM experts are talking about the know it all parents over here Wilm. For the most part there aren't many here(Wilm.) with any FB knowledge, but there are a few.
Careful what you wish for, you might just get it.