Is Simone Biles a quitter?

And if they are not physically capable, they don’t …correct? So what you are really saying is that you only believe in physical health and mental health is a myth? Mental health can not disable an athlete like physical health can?
I believe it can, but the truly greats don’t allow it to happen.

Pretty ignorant to assume everyone deals with mental health issues the same way.
That’s kind of the point smart guy. Some bury it and drug and drink themselves into numbness and commit crimes in the process. Basically, allow their lives to spiral out of control. Others recognize what's happening and take action to address the situation before it’s too late.

Seems logical one would prefer taking action and never get to that point but this is Yappi and there are a lot of idiots that think the Phelps route is preferable.

Can't believe I'm agreeing with MoeDude

Also important to remember that this woman has been put through the ringer ranging from the immense pressure put on her by the entire country to what happened with her in the Team USA scandal. No one knows what's going on in her head aside from her, and if she feels it is paramount to her own mental health that she withdraw then so be it.

She was not "put" through the ringer. The country did not put any pressure on her. If she were to lose, then what, loss of citizenship?

We hear it in interview after interview, the best, the "GOATS" are not focused on anything other than performance.

They are games.
Not exhibitions.

Simone quit in the Olympics. Th biggest stage for gymmasticators. That is why it's on here.
Why do you think it's here? Trying to make it about race like you do everything?

You are the most racist POS on this site.
That is all well and good, but I'd be very suspicious of a miraculous recovery in time for the individual events.
She withdrew!

The sacrifices that most Olympians make are beyond the understanding of most mortals. To give up nearly everything in your childhood and early adult life to become one of the best on the planet for a moment in time that occurs once every 4 years is inconceivable. When you sleep, what you eat, multiple practices a day, 7-days a week for years. Even if you are literally the best that's ever been it only takes a false start, a bad turn, a slip, or the tiniest of errors at the wrong time to lose your chance. Some (like Biles) compete in sports where a mistake can have catastrophic effects on their health/lives. Most have families that completely reshape themselves to accommodate the costs, the travel and the time that is required for practices, coaches, lessons, competitions. If you fail, you feel like you've failed your teammates, coaches, and families. Most of these people aren't millionaires... the Olympics are not some sideshow where they get even more adulation like the pros that compete... instead, they are machines of unimaginable physical and mental toughness that give everything to hone their skills to the Olympic level. I personally can't imagine that the price they pay is worth it. All of that self-imposed pressure in addition to the pressure of representing your country?! I have nothing but respect for all of them.

What's done is done. Rooting on the replacement Jade Carey in the individual all around.

If Jade Carey can medal, THAT will be a top story of the games.

Biles participating in the individual events, would also appear constructed for attention and marketing. If the pressure was that bad this week, she couldn't represent her team, she should not be presumed to safely participate in the individual events this weekend. The shame there, she cannot be replaced.

So if one of your DI studs at Winston Woods didn’t play in the state finals because they just weren’t there mentally would you be ok with it ??
Well, I retired from coaching a few years back. But back then I would have definitely been upset! It’s a different day now and I am trying to evolve from my old school way of thinking. No question mental illness is an issue that is in the forefront. I’m trying to understand it!

Yes she's a quitter. Sad state of affairs if everyday an athlete has a bad day they just quit.
We have seen her for about 8 years. But she started at a young age and she was one of many abused by a former trainer. Carrying the team since she she started. It’s a lot to have on someone’s shoulders! Oh and they change the rules so your spectacular moves don’t count as much so things are more even. Watch Michael Phelps interview on NBC. It sheds more light on the subject.

Thank you for being honest with your misogony!

Not at all, I love women's sports my 2 daughters, are high end athletes (multiple high school state champs in individual and team sports along with scholarships and collage sports).
However I happen to understand biology very well, they could never compete against top male athletes and it is not close.
Of all the sports that require strength and endurance, biological females can compete with biological males in only one at a top level... and it is so obscure it hardly qualifies.
Please feel free to name some if you disagree with reality.

Allowing males to compete is the same as getting rid of women's sports...it becomes just a joke.

Well, I retired from coaching a few years back. But back then I would have definitely been upset! It’s a different day now and I am trying to evolve from my old school way of thinking. No question mental illness is an issue that is in the forefront. I’m trying to understand it!
She’s not mentally ill, she lost her edge

The sacrifices that most Olympians make are beyond the understanding of most mortals. To give up nearly everything in your childhood and early adult life to become one of the best on the planet for a moment in time that occurs once every 4 years is inconceivable. When you sleep, what you eat, multiple practices a day, 7-days a week for years. Even if you are literally the best that's ever been it only takes a false start, a bad turn, a slip, or the tiniest of errors at the wrong time to lose your chance. Some (like Biles) compete in sports where a mistake can have catastrophic effects on their health/lives. Most have families that completely reshape themselves to accommodate the costs, the travel and the time that is required for practices, coaches, lessons, competitions. If you fail, you feel like you've failed your teammates, coaches, and families. Most of these people aren't millionaires... the Olympics are not some sideshow where they get even more adulation like the pros that compete... instead, they are machines of unimaginable physical and mental toughness that give everything to hone their skills to the Olympic level. I personally can't imagine that the price they pay is worth it. All of that self-imposed pressure in addition to the pressure of representing your country?! I have nothing but respect for all of them.

Simones net worth is 6 million ?

Shame on you!
Its NOT different…. You are letting the standards be lowered.
Unreal

A true competitor / warrior loves the pressure.
So you just gave an explanation of how hard it it to prepare for the Olympics. the sacrifices you have t make. And in the moment you are ready to lay it on the line you quit?
Bull—it…

What ever happened to mental toughness ??
I have sympathy for her. She runs fast and flies through the air while doing flips and rotations. THIS IS DANGEROUS - if you don't have full confidence and mental focus. So, if you can't perform safely, you shouldn't perform.

This is also a sport where 20 is old. The top gymnasts may get two Olympics in. Biles is on her 3rd and the expectations were sky high for her as a leader of the team - and a lot of pressure and stress comes with that.

That said, she worked to get rid of the Karolyis as coaches. Whatever the faults were of those coaches, they were demanding, created tough-mindedness in their gymnasts, and pushed them hard.

There is a part of me that thinks that she had an obligation to step up, overcome her fears and struggles, and meet expectations. It seems possible to me that she couldn't because she chose softer coaching.

Perhaps she wouldn't have faced these doubts and fears if she had allowed herself to be coached to be tougher than a 2 dollar steak. FWIW.

This is how I feel! What is true for me may not be true for you! And that’s OK. This is a different era.
Look man.. feelings got nothing to do with it.
different era has nothing to do with work ethic and sheer determination to be the best.
You put your heart and soul into your sport, if you dont come out on top so be it.
Can you look yourself in the mirror and say I gave all I could.

I wonder where all these gymnastics fans came from? So quick to judge and don’t realize how dangerous gymnastics could be if your mental game is off.