Is losing enough to move on from a HS coach?

bball15133

This is not directed to a certain coach, just something I though of recently.

There are obviously a lot more things that go into being considered a successful HS coach than just wins and losses. But I ask this question, if a coach is a good person, cares about the players, runs a clean program and overall does the right things but doesn't produce many wins should their be a case where losing is enough to move on from that coach and give someone else a chance?

Curious to hear everyones thoughts!

It depends on the school.....in some rural small town schools they may not have a choice. In most cases at that size school it's normally a teacher who is the HC. There are fewer and fewer teachers....especially ones who would be qualified (or want) to coach HS basketball with all the headaches (parents) that come with it now. The larger schools in bigger towns will have more options if they want to take somebody who is outside of the school system as a coach. Throw in the fact that some schools and communities just don't care about their sports teams and it's hard to just say "oh the coach doesn't win...we need to move on".

No. If he is knowledgeable, cares about the kids and runs a clean program, keep them. Good people are hard to find.

No. I swear Cuyahoga Falls had the best coach in our conference growing up. He just never had the jimmies and joes

It depends on the school.....in some rural small town schools they may not have a choice. In most cases at that size school it's normally a teacher who is the HC. There are fewer and fewer teachers....especially ones who would be qualified (or want) to coach HS basketball with all the headaches (parents) that come with it now. The larger schools in bigger towns will have more options if they want to take somebody who is outside of the school system as a coach. Throw in the fact that some schools and communities just don't care about their sports teams and it's hard to just say "oh the coach doesn't win...we need to move on".
Really, how many coaches in H.S. boys bball don't teach. In the MAC, I would say it is 100% or close to it.

There are so many other variables that would go into the decision to keep or move on from the coach. Size of school, honest assessment of talent in relation to other schools you play, historical success (or lack thereof), how long has the losing been going on in relation to the coach's tenure...

Really, how many coaches in H.S. boys bball don't teach. In the MAC, I would say it is 100% or close to it.
Aaron Elwer - DSJ Teacher
Nick Fisher - Coldwater Teacher
Kurt Goettemoeller - Marion Local Teacher
Cory Stephens - New Bremen Teacher

That's 4 out of the first 5 that I looked at some no, 100% isn't close lol

Aaron Elwer - DSJ Teacher
Nick Fisher - Coldwater Teacher
Kurt Goettemoeller - Marion Local Teacher
Cory Stephens - New Bremen Teacher

That's 4 out of the first 5 that I looked at some no, 100% isn't close lol
I believe he was saying the opposite. Unless I’m mistaken, there are three MAC basketball coaches that aren’t teachers.

I believe he was saying the opposite. Unless I’m mistaken, there are three MAC basketball coaches that aren’t teachers.
Maybe.......but in my original post I said there are rural schools that don't have teachers qualified (or even want to) be a HC. The MAC isn't your typical small town league.......but I will say that if you go back 20 years I'd bet that every single one of the coaches was a teacher.

Maybe.......but in my original post I said there are rural schools that don't have teachers qualified (or even want to) be a HC. The MAC isn't your typical small town league.......but I will say that if you go back 20 years I'd bet that every single one of the coaches was a teacher.
Were they qualified 20 years ago, back when I was in H.S., wanted a teacher's job sometimes you had to take a coaching job as well. But lets go on the premise they're less teacher - coaches, I would say it is because teachers get pd. more today and don't have to supplement the income as much.

Most places have RUINED HS coaching. The spineless administration and school boards have Crumbled under the least amount of pressure from parents and a few community group.
Do something about it, go to board meetings and get it changed instead of just complaining about it on a two - buck forum.

Were they qualified 20 years ago, back when I was in H.S., wanted a teacher's job sometimes you had to take a coaching job as well. But lets go on the premise they're less teacher - coaches, I would say it is because teachers get pd. more today and don't have to supplement the income as much.
As a veteran teacher / coach / admin of 20 years (began in 03) its more to do with time than money. Teaching takes up more time than it use*** to and the coaching supplements or lack thereof don't make it financially attractive........if it ever did to be honest. I mentioned this in another thread a few months ago that it is financially more worthwhile to get a masters degree and receive the pay increase from that than from coaching. Grant it you spend money to get the masters degree. But if you're a young teacher, get the masters now, early on and you'll get that investment back over the long haul. Which financially I should've done. I went the opposite route and coached 3 sports until covid. Too much time versus not enough compensation.

Yes, there was a time when coaching, even the Olympic sports, may have been tied to teaching but my school has PE teachers that don't even coach......non coaching PE teachers!!!!! haha. Times have certainly changed.

*** ironically the more tech has been introduced into teaching to reduce time has actually had the reserve impact.

By cost of living standards, teachers are not making more today than they ever have. Lots of teachers still working second and 3rd jobs, especially if they are trying to raise a family. Coaching salaries don't pay close to what a teacher can make working a summer job working construction, landscaping, factory, waitressing or tutoring so I think that is what is driving teachers away from coaching.

A lot of teachers just don't want to deal with all the extra BS that comes with coaching today that wasn't there 20 years ago. More kids specialize and pay a lot of money to play club, travel or AAU. A lot of parents think if their kid puts up 15 points in an AAU game then it guarantees Varsity success. If they don't succeed, then it's the Coach's fault for not playing their kid in the right spot or because the coach is an idiot. As long as the parents and kids aren't held for being responsible for their behavior, why deal with it?

You get what you settle for.
You endorse what you permit.

Parents can make it extremely unattractive y
to want to coach.

If your a parent, keep your popcorn hole shut and let the coaches coach. Calling one a f'n idiot to his face after a game on the cusp of what is poised to be a solid tournament run is a complete jagoff move and a main reason many would prefer coaching at an orphanage.

In terms of moving on from a coach....Do the players give effort? I see a local team where the players show absolutely no effort and it is quite embarrassing

Last edited:
Well, that couldn't be further from the truth...

The additional money just isn't worth the time commitment.