Indoor Practice Facilities

Bordertown

The indoor practice facility at Texas High. 60 yard field. Currently Coaches offices, weight room, etc are being added.

Texarkana%20web.JPG

Southlake Carroll recently signed a contract for naming rights to it's indoor practice facility. Here is the article from the Dallas Morning News:

Carroll sells naming rights to workout facility
Dallas Morning News
Feb 20, 2007

The Southlake Carroll school district and Performance Course training centers have agreed to a 10-year, $300,000 contract for the naming rights to the indoor workout facility at Carroll Senior High. The district’s board of trustees approved the deal Monday night by a 6-1 vote.

The Performance Course Stalcup Training Center will also honor the memory of former Carroll football assistant Charlie Stalcup, who died in 2004 of melanoma. Carroll ISD spokesman Julie Thannum said the Stalcup name is a permanent addition to the facility, even if corporate naming rights change after the contract ends.

Charlie Stalcup was a much loved defensive coordinator at SLC. The team dedicated the 2004 season to him. The facility is 70 yards long and regulation football width. Many groups at SLC use it and sometimes there are 3-4 groups in there at the same time. It's hot in the summer, however, because it's not air conditioned but they have massive fans built into the walls. For most of the school year it is great.

Last edited:
Why is there a need for an indoor prctice facility in Texas for HS kids. I mean to me this is going way overboard. I can understand the stadiums especially when they play host to more than one team. I mean isn't Texas struggling to keep up with education demands? Wouldn't this money be better off in building a new science wing or something along those lines?

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just looking for answers to a few of my questions since you guys are in the know.

Thx.

Why is there a need for an indoor prctice facility in Texas for HS kids. I mean to me this is going way overboard. I can understand the stadiums especially when they play host to more than one team. I mean isn't Texas struggling to keep up with education demands? Wouldn't this money be better off in building a new science wing or something along those lines?

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just looking for answers to a few of my questions since you guys are in the know.

Thx.

In Southlake it took three bond elections before the community approved the stadium and the indoor facility. The bond didn't pass twice. The city approved several hundred million dollars for schools, equipment, etc first. An additional $1.5M for an indoor facility isn't all that much. The facility gets used a lot so it's worth it.

FYI, SLC also has a 50 meter indoor Aquatics Center. http://www.cisdaquatics.com/ It cost more than the indoor training center.

Even with these facilities, SLC is one of the top 1-3 academic performing school districts in Texas.

At Texas High we just added a math & science wing to the school. In opened in January. Whew... dodged that one.

I can only speak for Texas High -

Football - In August the center is equipped with fans and for the afternoon two-a-day workouts. Even though the facility is as hot a outside there is a breeze (not common in the summer) and it is in the shade. During the fall, workout in wet weather (average 45" of rain a year) which begins in October.

Band - Used in August before school starts and on rainy days. They play while team is doing film etc...

Cheerleaders - during class and on rainy days

Is it the best use of taxpayer money? For every supporter, you will find a dissenting voice. But by keeping kids active in extracurricular activities, it is good for the community. Standardized test results are improving which is a beneficial side note.

Soccer - Used for offseason and on cold rainy day (Season is December 1 to mid March). Many cold wet days in December to February.

Baseball & Softball - Used in February in cold weather and on rainy days in the spring when field is too wet.

As you can see it is used by more than football and benefits a large number of the student population. The participation in sports could no longer be fit in the gyms without hurting those programs.

Thanks for the answers!

I guess in the grand scheme of things the facilities are used for the good of the students.

On a side bar.....practicing indoors because it's raining or 45' seems kind of wimpy for football. Man, no wonder all those Texas boys stay in the South. They wouldn't be able to handle the weather anywhere else. :) j/k

On another side bar.....The Bengals are the Northernmost team in the NFL to not have an indoor facility and I think that's a joke. They need one to get acclimated to future games against dome teams and it helps in preparing for crowd noise.

Thanks for the answers!

I guess in the grand scheme of things the facilities are used for the good of the students.

On a side bar.....practicing indoors because it's raining or 45' seems kind of wimpy for football. Man, no wonder all those Texas boys stay in the South. They wouldn't be able to handle the weather anywhere else. :) j/k

On another side bar.....The Bengals are the Northernmost team in the NFL to not have an indoor facility and I think that's a joke. They need one to get acclimated to future games against dome teams and it helps in preparing for crowd noise.

A few things that seem to get lost when talking about these facilities. The first is that they truly are used by all of the students, they are not "football" facilities.

I used to think the same way you did about the elements. That was when I heard Parcells talk about it. He said when you are coaching, you are trying to teach a skill or refine somehting. The less you have to deal with the more you can get done. You don't have people worrying about the heat/cold/girls walking by/rain whatever. It simply gives you a place to concentrate on nothing but the task at hand.

I have heard other coaches, mainly in the college ranks reiterate that and it makes sense. I think many still go outside for some conditioning etc. that helps them get acclimated somewhat to whatever weather conditions there are, but the practice time is spent practicing.

Man, no wonder all those Texas boys stay in the South. They wouldn't be able to handle the weather anywhere else. :) j/k

You make a point that partially valid. I've never been to a game in Texas in the snow or ice. I also know, that SLC plays 99% of their games on artificial surface. I can't think of the last time they played on real grass. However, it does get cold in Texas, and our playoffs last until almost Christmas.

I remember the 2005 season opener. It was over 100 degrees and probably 120 degrees on the field.

California and Florida have wimpier weather than Texas.

Thanks for the answers!

There is some truth to that statement. Ryan Mallett enrolled at Michigan in January and the weather did not help him being homesick. When he returned after the "Spring Semester" (that term is used loosely in the North), he did not want to return to Ann Arbor. Those close to him coaxed him to return this summer. The winters in the North s***. I wear something more than a light jacket a dozen times a year, but my blood is thicker than most of my Southern brothers.

Pied & SLCDad made some valid points.

Laugh if you want but 45' in December is cold in Texas in a 20 mph wind.

Last edited:

Thx.
Education is always first but the indoor facility is a luxury that the community pays for.

It is like a rich kid that pays for a private tutor or fitness instructor. Is it needed? No, but it sure gives you an edge if you have the means to acquire it.

Kinda like Pied said. TX football teams practice skill and timing religiously. An indoor facility provides an option to refine skills that could not be done in some elements.

Several TX high schools have an indoor facility in the DFW area where I am.

Thanks for the answers!

If you reread his post I believe he wrote that his area recieves 45 inches of rain per year, not that practice is moved indoors when the temp drops to 45 degrees.

If you reread his post I believe he wrote that his area recieves 45 inches of rain per year, not that practice is moved indoors when the temp drops to 45 degrees.

Yeah, I see that now.....Anyway, I was just joking and all the Texans could see that.

I think if you have that excess of $ then it's great they decided to use it for the kids. :thumb:

Another reason Texas has nice facilities is the way the taxes work. Property taxes pay for schools in Texas. The state places limits on how much school districts can tax for operating funds. The state tries to equalize funding between schools through the "Robin Hood" plan. They take from the rich and give to the poor. In Southlake, almost 1/3 of school taxes (for operating funds) are taken by the state and given to poorer districts. The state also places a limit on the tax rate that school districts can charge. SLC has the max tax rate it can charge. They struggle to pay operating expenses. That is why they raise money in other ways (which the state doesn't take).

Money collected for facilities is not part of the Robin Hood plan. Local districts keep 100% of the money taxed for facilities. Nice facilities generate money which can then be used for school operating expenses. For example, in Southlake the athletic program (mostly football) generates over $1 million per year which goes into the school operating budget and the state does not take any of it through the Robin Hood system.

A good example of the benefits of an indoor facility.

Texas High began there spring drills on May 1. Every evening this week there have been lightening storms in the area which would have eliminated probably 3 days of drills.

In addition the baseball team in the playoffs were able to take batting practice and throw the ball around in the facility.

That could be any building.

Show us a picture of the building that includes the sign on it that says "Home of the Southlake Carroll Dragons -- 2004, 2005, and 2006 National Champions by a consensus of all polls tabulated by SLCDad, based on a point system he has listed dozens of times on Yappi."

Show us a picture of the building that includes the sign on it that says "Home of the Southlake Carroll Dragons -- 2004, 2005, and 2006 National Champions by a consensus of all polls tabulated by SLCDad, based on a point system he has listed dozens of times on Yappi."

What is this "us" stuff. I think you are the only one that wants this silly request.

Where are you going with this?

I did not say it was requested by us.

However, if I requested it, and he showed it, he would be showing us, since everyone would be able to see it.

I was not aware that I had to explain such distinctions, but now I am.

I did not say it was requested by us.

However, if I requested it, and he showed it, he would be showing us, since everyone would be able to see it.

I was not aware that I had to explain such distinctions, but now I am.

Your just a little off you your distinctions. You wanted to see it not anyone else. Leave "us" out of it.

Again what is your point?

If you zoom out you can see the school in front on Southlake Blvd.

Comparing to the track next door it appears to be a 50 yard field.

I made no assertions as to what anyone else wants.

You made assertions as to what everyone else doesn't want.

I can explain it to you. I cannot comprehend it for you.

If you zoom out you can see the school in front on Southlake Blvd.

Comparing to the track next door it appears to be a 50 yard field.

The indoor field is exactly 70 yards long and regulation width. Look at the goal posts on the practice field. They are 120 yards apart. The indoor facility is more than 1/2 that length = 70 yards.

Actually the name of the facility is "The Performance Course Charlie Stalcup Training Center." Performance Course paid $300,000 to have their name on it.

Charlie Stalcup was the SLC defensive coordinator who died of cancer before the 2004 season. He fought the cancer as he continued to coach. His courage was a huge inspiration to the team. They dedicated the 2004 season to him. Chants of "Charlie, Charlie, Charlie" were common that year.

By the way, I posted this picture as a joke. HDvHS FAN asked if I had a picture. That is the best I can do.

Show us a picture

of the building that includes the sign on it that says "Home of the Southlake Carroll Dragon
s
-- 2004, 2005, and 2006 National Champions by a consensus of all polls tabulated by SLCDad, based on a point system he has listed dozens of times on Yappi."

I said leave us out of it; You then stated
"I did not say it was requested by us."

You sound like your pleading to a jury.

I realize I had to scale down several levels of stupidity to debate this matter with you.

Last edited: