If your Iowa what do you do with Austin Desanto

roughedge

Austin Desanto Allegedly Threatened To Kill Teammates Dad

November 13, 2021
Austin Desanto was competing in the Luther Open Finals, he ended up wrestling fellow teammate Cullan Schriever and ended up winning the match by score of 8-4. During the match Austin Desanto was dominating as he normally does with his physical dominance and was putting it on Schriever early in the match.
Throughout the match as most “underdogs” do gain more and more confidence and start frustrating better guys when they realize oh I can hang with this guy. That is pretty much what happened with Cullan Schriever and he was able to get a takedown of his own on Austin Desanto. Cullan’s dad Ryan Schriever started getting excited for his son and started cheering him on (nothing disrespectful). After a while Desanto pretty much stopped wrestling and stared down Schriever.
After the match had concluded Desanto comes running to the side of the mat and says “Where is that old f-?! Gonna root against a teammate!” After this he decides to escalate the situation and runs towards Schriever in the bleachers and says “I’m going to f-ing kill you, if not now I’ll get you later.”

After this Terry Brands got in his face and said “what the f- are you doing you hypocrite! Ok you’re mad at him for rooting against a teammate, his son, so you’re gonna kill a teammates dad, what?!” Desanto refused to listen to Coach Brands and proceeded still say that he was going to kill Schriever.
This is all that has been known on the situation and it is unsure if more details on the situation will be released, but it is the reportedly the second time that Desanto has threatened to kill a person in the span of this last year. (Last time being at the NCAA Tournament and got banned from the All American parade

The match I watched, DeSanto could have destroyed Shriever and chose not to. The rest I have no idea about, but the match was never close.

Dont do anything. Heat of the moment. The dad was a dic. Desanto was right. I dont particularly like him but move on. But they wont.

Desanto was wrong, win match go to locker room your a 5th year senior. How many conversations Brands have had with him and he still doesn’t get it. From Drexel to Iowa how many heat of the moments are you gonna give a person. There will be alot harder things in life he will have to deal with than a parent cheering. Iowa needs him to win a title so probably nothing.

Since the article was posted, these statements were added. ? The article written seems very elementary to me. Folks are eager to jump.

Quote:
"Updates: Getting many messages saying different things on the topic. A majority saying that they both apologized to each other later. Still have not seen any info towards if this matter has been resolved or not."

Updates: "Terry Brands reportedly grabbed Austin Desanto by the throat is what is being heard as well."

Dont do anything. Heat of the moment. The dad was a dic. Desanto was right. I dont particularly like him but move on. But they wont.
I'm not saying DeSanto was right (apparently Terry didn't think so either)--but also seems like a big media/social media overreaction. As for Terry grabbing him--I didn't see it but am guessing again, seems like a big overreaction. And another teaching moment for those involved.
Yes this is reckless speculation on my part. But media and others always quick to judge--it is not a secret, the program will decide what, if anything, should happen to manage appropriately. Hell, these guys are tearing each other's heads off every day in the room including Terry--it is partly how they communicate in the heat of battle......

FB_IMG_1636985331127.jpg

Would I be the least bit surprised if this was true? Not at all he has shown in the past that he can just completely lose it. Remember his loss in the 2018 NCAA quarterfinals vs Stevan Micic? Stevan did nothing wrong he was just kicking his butt and Desanto couldn’t handle it. Took a swing at his head, ripped his head gear off, and was trying to break his arm with an arm bar at the end of the match. One of the absolute dirtiest displays I’ve ever seen in college wrestling and I lost all respect for him. I’ve always been cheering for him to lose ever since.

This in a nutshell why teammates should not wrestle each other in a tournament. There is no good to come from it, and far too often these types of stories happen either publicly or privately.
Brands should not have let the match happen.
Brands, Desanto and the Schriever family should use it as a learning experience.

The story from the website and the link seem pretty sensationalized and elementary the way it was written.
The article was taken down and then put back up to include...

"Updates: Getting many messages saying different things on the topic. A majority saying that they both apologized to each other later. Still have not seen any info towards if this matter has been resolved or not."

Updates: "Terry Brands reportedly grabbed Austin Desanto by the throat is what is being heard as well."

From all accounts it sounds like the parents were cheering for their kid and Desanto was staring them down and pointed at them during the match. The guys working the table could be heard saying he was pointing at the kids mom and ran off mat to get in her face. Kid has some issues and probably won’t be missed when he is gone.

Never said he was. Said it sounds like it. Who would attack and threaten to kill them over cheering for their son? That right there shows a chemical imbalance. IMO he should be banned.
“Sounds like roids” comment is pretty reckless speculation and to put that out there publicly about a college kid is very irresponsible in my book.
Now you compound that by saying he has a chemical imbalance (and should be banned). You didn’t say “sounds like” or “he might” have an imbalance—you said the actions “show that.” Even a medical professional would not say someone has a chemical imbalance without a real examination of sorts. And of course if he did know it would be a violation of sorts or malpractice to disclose that publicly.
So Once again, you likely don’t know that he has a chemical imbalance and quite frankly if it is not true—your post might be considered by some to be defamatory in one form or another (libel/slander).
You don’t have all the facts here. In which case my suggestion is to let all the people involved participate in resolving things (if there is anything to be resolved).
But if you can’t resist the urge to publicly bash some college kid you probably don’t even know, then just point out you don’t know the truth here and just say you simply don’t like the kid or whatever your opinion of him might be.

“Sounds like roids” comment is pretty reckless speculation and to put that out there publicly about a college kid is very irresponsible in my book.
Now you compound that by saying he has a chemical imbalance (and should be banned). You didn’t say “sounds like” or “he might” have an imbalance—you said the actions “show that.” Even a medical professional would not say someone has a chemical imbalance without a real examination of sorts. And of course if he did know it would be a violation of sorts or malpractice to disclose that publicly.
So Once again, you likely don’t know that he has a chemical imbalance and quite frankly if it is not true—your post might be considered by some to be defamatory in one form or another (libel/slander).
You don’t have all the facts here. In which case my suggestion is to let all the people involved participate in resolving things (if there is anything to be resolved).
But if you can’t resist the urge to publicly bash some college kid you probably don’t even know, then just point out you don’t know the truth here and just say you simply don’t like the kid or whatever your opinion of him might be.
My bad, I thought we had the right to voice our opinion. Nice of you to defend someone that threatened death to someone for cheering on his own son. ?

My bad, I thought we had the right to voice our opinion. Nice of you to defend someone that threatened death to someone for cheering on his own son. ?
As long as you don't state them as fact publicly and have them turn out to be false statements (i.e., chemical imbalance) then go for it--I am sure everyone is eagerly awaiting your opinions--considering how fully enlightened they are. ?

As long as you don't state them as fact publicly and have them turn out to be false statements (i.e., chemical imbalance) then go for it--I am sure everyone is eagerly awaiting your opinions--considering how fully enlightened they are. ?
Wait...so I'm getting bashed for stating my opinion, but no one is bashing AD for what he did? ?‍♂️

Wait...so I'm getting bashed for stating my opinion, but no one is bashing AD for what he did? ?‍♂️
Of course it does not appear to be good conduct on his part. How awful it actually is I don't know because I am not in the know. But:
1) I am not gonna sit here and make conclusory opinions without knowing all the corresponding circumstances and context;
2) I am certainly not going to call for someone to be BANNED without knowing all the inside context, etc.--that would make me like all the other sheep out there in social media world contributing to this cancel culture that I hate so much; and
3) I didn't bash you for your opinion--I bashed the point that you stated as fact, which is probably defamatory if said "fact" is indeed false (that he has a chemical imbalance).

Of course it does not appear to be good conduct on his part. How awful it actually is I don't know because I am not in the know. But:
1) I am not gonna sit here and make conclusory opinions without knowing all the corresponding circumstances and context;
2) I am certainly not going to call for someone to be BANNED without knowing all the inside context, etc.--that would make me like all the other sheep out there in social media world contributing to this cancel culture that I hate so much; and
3) I didn't bash you for your opinion--I bashed the point that you stated as fact, which is probably defamatory if said "fact" is indeed false (that he has a chemical imbalance).
Everything i said is just my opinion, but I get what you're saying. Opinions are just opinions not necessarily facts. So from what I read, which is not much, AD was out of line (Imo)
It's not ok (IMO) to threaten someone's life period (IMO) I mean threaten death over a wrestling match that won't mean anything in life. (IMO) ?‍♂️

Not bashing here.
I didn't see what AD did nor do I have any reliable record of what he said. If you saw and heard it my apologies for questioning.
On the other hand there is a record of what you said. I'm not pokin' at ya, just sayin'... ✌️

From my experiences at Several larger (In season) HS tournaments teammates will often wrestle each other if one is put in the tournament as an Extra in a weight class. I have witnessed this on numerous occasions. Teammates typically do not like to wrestle each other in these scenarios as more often than not the outcome is already known. However, I have NEVER seen a fight between teammates (even in a surprisingly close match). I also have never witnessed a parent cheering for a there own kid or a preferred kid against a teammate. More-so the parents are likely sitting beside each other and complimentary to the other after the match...

What accounts have you read @kessen157 besides the link above?

@Testerli, Now he's doing steriods too?
I watched the match and you can see AD looking over at his kids parents and point and guys at table we’re taking about it was kids mom he was pointing at. You can’t hear anyone yelling from stand. Pat Mineo who has a lot of connections has posted his 2 cents on it and posted what he knows. Now he trolls Iowa fans a lot.

Last edited:
I watched the match and you can see AD looking over at his kids parents and point and guys at table we’re taking about it was kids mom he was pointing at. You can’t hear anyone yelling from stand. Pat Mineo who has a lot of connections has posted his 2 cents on it and posted what he knows. Now he trolls Iowa fans a lot.
Where did you see it at or did you see it ?

Allow Desanto to use the new NIL rules (name, image, and likeness) and make a commercial with the dad.
Setting : a Hyvee store.
Dad grabs a roll of toilet paper; Desanto wants that toilet paper; a fight ensues, knocking over shelves, other shoppers, cash registers, etc.
Brands steps in and breaks it up, saying, “there’s enough here for both of you”.
Hawkeye nation would love it.