How old would your retirement be?

I think as far as my life is concerned, I have set my retirement goal age for age 79. I think If I was ever fortunate enough to live to be 79 years old and still working, I think by age 80, I would just be ready to pull the plug on going to work and retire for good?

What about yourself? If you’ve already retired: How old were you when you retired? Or if you are still working: What age do you see yourself retiring?

I retired at age 65 and it will be 13 years at the end of April. Work for a short time with my son and his business was suppose to be part time maybe 3 days a week. ended up being five and six days a week and more than 8 hours a day. He finally he ended my employment. Guess he got tired of my complaining of long hours and days. I was forever telling him if I wanted to work like this I would have stayed at my job I retired from.

I always ask people that retire at that age how do you plan to pay for health insurance?
Current plan is to pay out of pocket. It will be the major expense we have left (no mortgage or other loans). By then, both our kids should be on their own, so it will just be the two of us to pay for, not a family plan.

When my wife turns 59 1/2. That’s the age you can draw from your 401K & ROTH. I might work part time just to pay for insurance. If not, I’ll explore other alternatives for insurance.

I think as far as my life is concerned, I have set my retirement goal age for age 79. I think If I was ever fortunate enough to live to be 79 years old and still working, I think by age 80, I would just be ready to pull the plug on going to work and retire for good?

What about yourself? If you’ve already retired: How old were you when you retired? Or if you are still working: What age do you see yourself retiring?
As many of those who have reached age 55. They will tell you that the first 50 seemed like it would NEVER arrive. AFTER 50, it seems as though every year takes only six months. The moral to the story is, retire as good as possible. Because old age REALLY comes fast.

I retired early at age 53, to take care of dear ole MOM!

Retired at 63 just don't know how long I am going to live? If you like your job keep working if not and you have the means retire. What I do not understand is why the govt. has a limit on how much you can earn and still draw SS without penalty, makes no sense at all but than it is the govt.
How DARE you talk about your President like this?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the govt. thinks that inflation is EIGHT PERCENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYTHING except gas had risen forty percent of more. Gas has risen 2.3 times what it was the day before Biden took office.

Retired at 65. Pension was at the max and Medicare was available. Got a part time job the week after my retirement. Because I also took my SS my earnings were limited. Waited to withdraw from my IRA's until it was mandated by law.

I was planning to retire at 62 but I'm considering pushing that back a few years. The main reason is because of my relatively good health and because my parents are both alive and healthy in their mid 80s. In fact, they are on their way to a 3 week cruise right now.
There's just too many uncertainties regarding inflation, 401-K taxation and a few other things to retire that early when I love my job.
You get used to a certain lifestyle and don't want to stretch out your retirement money for a potential 25-30 years.

I don't plan to retire. I love my work.
Similar here.

I was forced to try early retirement due to a heart issue at 48. Missed work within a couple days.

Now, I have restructured my work to ease the stress a bit, and am thoroughly enjoying life now more than ever, and a huge part of that enjoyment is my work.

One thing I really enjoy is working for my kids. My wife was not sure of my idea at first, but the kids have loved it and have more jobs than I can get accomplished. The idea came about a few years back when my son was drowning in a house flip because he lacked proper equipment to accomplish tasks he needed done, such as removal of large trees. I have accumulated most every tool needed to remodel homes inside and out, so I figured I may as well work cheap and provide my kids the opportunity to purchase homes and build sweat equity together. So far so good. As long as I feel good and can enjoy it, I will be using my experience to benefit those around me. When I can no longer work, i hope to exit.

My dad did the same, drove me nuts as he traded property late into life , then quit work once he got too confused to make good decisions, died three months later at age 84. I dont want to linger here with others supporting me.

Similar here.

I was forced to try early retirement due to a heart issue at 48. Missed work within a couple days.

Now, I have restructured my work to ease the stress a bit, and am thoroughly enjoying life now more than ever, and a huge part of that enjoyment is my work.

One thing I really enjoy is working for my kids. My wife was not sure of my idea at first, but the kids have loved it and have more jobs than I can get accomplished. The idea came about a few years back when my son was drowning in a house flip because he lacked proper equipment to accomplish tasks he needed done, such as removal of large trees. I have accumulated most every tool needed to remodel homes inside and out, so I figured I may as well work cheap and provide my kids the opportunity to purchase homes and build sweat equity together. So far so good. As long as I feel good and can enjoy it, I will be using my experience to benefit those around me. When I can no longer work, i hope to exit.

My dad did the same, drove me nuts as he traded property late into life , then quit work once he got too confused to make good decisions, died three months later at age 84. I dont want to linger here with others supporting me.
Great story. ("Story" is not saying you made this up. lol) Thanks for sharing. I'm sure others will appreciate it, too. ?

Now, about that driveway I need to re-seal...

Great story. ("Story" is not saying you made this up. lol) Thanks for sharing. I'm sure others will appreciate it, too. ?

Now, about that driveway I need to re-seal...
Asphalt I assume?

Did my daughters last year with the better topper Lowes stocks and it did pretty well. Neighbor by me hired his done this spring and they used tar and a fire pot to seal the cracks then sprayed a "glossy " layer over the top. Freely admit his looks a bit more professional, but I actually had fun doing hers. It helped that her drive had a nice slope to it, so dump the bucket at the top and just help guide the liquid towards the bottom. Prep work was hard, scraper, power washer, and filling cracks with a tar cement.

Are you in Arizona? Figured with the heat out there they would use nothing but concrete?

Asphalt I assume?

Did my daughters last year with the better topper Lowes stocks and it did pretty well. Neighbor by me hired his done this spring and they used tar and a fire pot to seal the cracks then sprayed a "glossy " layer over the top. Freely admit his looks a bit more professional, but I actually had fun doing hers. It helped that her drive had a nice slope to it, so dump the bucket at the top and just help guide the liquid towards the bottom. Prep work was hard, scraper, power washer, and filling cracks with a tar cement.

Are you in Arizona? Figured with the heat out there they would use nothing but concrete?
North Carolina. Our neighborhood has asphalt driveways, though some have re-done them with concrete.

I may do the same one day, but I have re-sealed two or three times before so my drive has held up pretty well.

Yeah, the prep work you mentioned is the hardest part. My drive has a decent slope to it, too, which will help out.

May be a two-day project this time - one I want to get done before the heat and humidity really kicks in.

Retirement is death
It shouldn't be, as long as you have other activities to fill that time and keep you engaged. ;)

Went with my wife to a pre-retirement seminar at her company a few years ago. The presenter made a good point about a week having 168 hours, and a "typical" 40-hour work week is actually closer to 60 hours, factoring in time spent getting ready for work each day, driving, etc. He said too many people don't have a plan to fill those 60 hours each week in retirement, and consequently are more at risk for early decline and death. And I knew several co-workers that happened too.

At that point, I'd been retired a few years, and my daily calendar was jammed full within the first month. Told Mrs. Z that should keep me going to at least 90. She sighed, and put the life insurance policy she'd taken out on me back in her hope chest.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be, as long as you have other activities to fill that time and keep you engaged. ;)

Went with my wife to a pre-retirement seminar at her company a few years ago. The presenter made a good point about a week having 168 hours, and a "typical" 40-hour work week is actually closer to 60 hours, factoring in time spent getting ready for work each day, driving, etc. He said too many people don't have a plan to fill those 60 hours each week in retirement, and consequently are more at risk for early decline and death. And I knew several co-workers that happened too.

At that point, I'd been retired a few years, and my daily calendar was jammed full within the first month. Told Mrs. Z that should keep me going to at least 90. She sighed, and put the life insurance policy she'd taken out on me back in her hope chest.
Its probably a personality issue with me. I'm not going to suddenly get real social and desire to travel or be around people. I also daily track and record my productivity though I have no one but myself (perhaps the Mrs) to answer to for my production. Still, to not produce is depressing to me so I am not likely to ever choose depression over satisfaction.

Retirement to get away from doing anything is where I've seen things go downhill fast. Sounds like that is not you. Enjoy !

I may not technically have a job at some point, but I'll have businesses and real estate to take care of, which I like to be hands-on with, so by default I won't retire. I've seen people die a couple years after retirement and that's just not something I want. It happens too often to be a coincidence.

Have no fear about reaching 79! Your Democrat Party is going to see to it, that NOBODY reaches that age, through the use of Death Squads.

I may not technically have a job at some point, but I'll have businesses and real estate to take care of, which I like to be hands-on with, so by default I won't retire. I've seen people die a couple years after retirement and that's just not something I want. It happens too often to be a coincidence.
That's because the GOOD die YOUNG! As for ME, I've been retired for 24 years.;)