How does your team look for 2024 ?

Bball216

Just starting this thread to see what people think of their team for next season - what they lose, what's coming back and who is coming up. Curious to see what many of these programs have returning and the expectations.

1701980785199.gif

Princeton will be loaded. The team went 12-1 with mainly juniors and sophomores. Many returning players including the Defensive Player of the Year in D1, PJ Nelson.

Avon loses several key players, but returns more than enough to be state championship level in 2024.
Season to season always tough to tell. This was suppose to be a down year for Avon and could argue when QB healthy may have been their best. That being said, I would think Avon is in very good shape. Besides QB who is a D1 talent. DL, WR, TE and LB will have a lot of to be senior/junior talent that started this year. D1 CB. RB a lot of depth. Right side of O-Line and safety spots will be new but Avon has kids that will come in that have played a lot of varsity minutes this year. Keep banging on the door and one of these years they will break through.

Season to season always tough to tell. This was suppose to be a down year for Avon and could argue when QB healthy may have been their best. That being said, I would think Avon is in very good shape. Besides QB who is a D1 talent. DL, WR, TE and LB will have a lot of to be senior/junior talent that started this year. D1 CB. RB a lot of depth. Right side of O-Line and safety spots will be new but Avon has kids that will come in that have played a lot of varsity minutes this year. Keep banging on the door and one of these years they will break through.
That is an excellent summation. The window for Avon to win it all is definitely open in 2024. And with all due respect to Massillon and Hoban, with a healthy Nolan Good at QB I believe Avon wins the championship a week ago. Unfortunately, we never got to find out and can only congratulate the Massillon Tigers for getting it done.

That is an excellent summation. The window for Avon to win it all is definitely open in 2024. And with all due respect to Massillon and Hoban, with a healthy Nolan Good at QB I believe Avon wins the championship a week ago. Unfortunately, we never got to find out and can only congratulate the Massillon Tigers for getting it done.
Seems like Avon has distanced themselves from Avon Lake. Do you think Avon Lake has the right coach? I hear so many complaints from local residents about him and have no knowledge myself.

Seems like Avon has distanced themselves from Avon Lake. Do you think Avon Lake has the right coach? I hear so many complaints from local residents about him and have no knowledge myself.
He’s a very good coach. Dedicated to the district. The team is always fundamentally sound. They have great numbers from youth through varsity. They aren’t very exotic on offense, but they win their way. I think they just got nailed hard by the injury bug this year. They will bounce back. It also illustrates the value of Mike Elder to Avon football. He’s as good of a coach as you’ll find anywhere.

Winton Woods returns a lot, the defense will be the best in the state regardless of division but, the offense is a question mark, they return a lot players at key positions but, they were absolutely underwhelming last year in execution and philosophy.

Just starting this thread to see what people think of their team for next season - what they lose, what's coming back and who is coming up. Curious to see what many of these programs have returning and the expectations.
Cleveland Heights bring back a lot with some solid Fr. and Soph headed up from JV. I think they’re a solid #2 in R1 with a huge task to surpass St. Edward.

Kirtland will have some studs to replace. The Hornets return the offensive line, QB, and a few players on defense. They lose 3 players that played RB and starred on defense, two stud WRs that also played DB and a few other defenders. Kirtland will need some players to step up and be leaders to replace the special class that is leaving. Kirtland will be solid but it's up to the returning players and talented JVs to be special. According to many they feel Kirtland might take a step back a bit - but I'm not betting against Tiger, his staff and the kids in that program.

Last edited:
Defiance loses 10 total seniors, a couple of which didn't really make much of an impact at all.

Unfortunately one is their stud RB, but they were forces to play without him through an injury in 23 and the backup did a pretty decent job.

Guys coming back include the QB, WR/speed back, 2 solid WRs, and 3/5 of the offensive line. Extremely senior led in 24 so it's now or never after 7-5 and 8-4 seasons.

Might just me being a homer, but if TCC moves to D2 we may be the dark horse to win region 10. At the least, I'm hoping for 10 wins and a deep playoff run.

Defiance loses 10 total seniors, a couple of which didn't really make much of an impact at all.

Unfortunately one is their stud RB, but they were forces to play without him through an injury in 23 and the backup did a pretty decent job.

Guys coming back include the QB, WR/speed back, 2 solid WRs, and 3/5 of the offensive line. Extremely senior led in 24 so it's now or never after 7-5 and 8-4 seasons.

Might just me being a homer, but if TCC moves to D2 we may be the dark horse to win region 10. At the least, I'm hoping for 10 wins and a deep playoff run.
That's not a homer pick, at all. They will be a factor if the elephant in the room leaves the room.

TCC is a big, fat elephant to a school like Defiance.
I just don’t get it. They’re placed in their proper division and Defiance has more males enrolled than TCC. Make it make sense. And what you mean by “a school like Defiance”? And S/O to Avon, beating Glenville and giving Hoban a scare is major!

I just don’t get it. They’re placed in their proper division and Defiance has more males enrolled than TCC. Make it make sense. And what you mean by “a school like Defiance”? And S/O to Avon, beating Glenville and giving Hoban a scare is major!
They have overwhelming talent for most D3 schools to deal with. Defiance has a great football tradition. Avon and Avon Lake have met them in the playoffs over the years and they are tough kids prepped by an excellent league...but TCC is a lot for Ed's to handle, let alone a rural school. If TCC bumps up to D2, that certainly removes a large obstacle for Defiance.

Avon could have given Hoban more than a scare if their first team all Ohio QB played, but you don't just need a great team to win state. You need relatively good health and you need a couple lucky bounces along the way. This just wasn't meant to be Avon's year.

They have overwhelming talent for most D3 schools to deal with. Defiance has a great football tradition. Avon and Avon Lake have met them in the playoffs over the years and they are tough kids prepped by an excellent league...but TCC is a lot for Ed's to handle, let alone a rural school. If TCC bumps up to D2, that certainly removes a large obstacle for Defiance.
I just don’t get why it’s an elephant. They have a lower male enrollment than Defiance. No biggie that we don’t see it the seem.

Avon could have given Hoban more than a scare if their first team all Ohio QB played, but you don't just need a great team to win state. You need relatively good health and you need a couple lucky bounces along the way. This just wasn't meant to be Avon's year.
Possibly but I don’t think they beat Hoban. It took one Massillon’s best teams ever (not my words) and an all time defense to beat Hoban by 5 points. Even with the starting QB Avon would have trouble stopping Hoban’s running game. Either way Avon had a great season. The onside kick against Glenville and blackmailing their OC to only give Dee SEVEN carries was epic.

I just don’t get why it’s an elephant. They have a lower male enrollment than Defiance. No biggie that we don’t see it the seem.
I guess try to see it this way. Get rid of all but the 200 best athletes from the grade 10-12 boys at Heights High and drop them into D3 or D4. I bet not only do they dominate most of those teams, their 200 would beat up Strongsville or Brunswick's 800.

Last edited:
I would have put my money on Avon > Hoban. Hell they almost did w/out an all-state QB comparable to Owens. Kid will be a 1st teamer next year.

But then we just woulda beat Avon. ;) You know I love you cjb but don't go there. Ha ha.

It's not about the boy's enrollment number. Defiance draws their total enrollment from a population of just over 20,000. TCC draws their enrollment from a population of well over 200,000. Plus, TCC is not forced to take low achieving, non athlete students.

I would have put my money on Avon > Hoban. Hell they almost did w/out an all-state QB comparable to Owens. Kid will be a 1st teamer next year.

But then we just woulda beat Avon. ;) You know I love you cjb but don't go there. Ha ha.
Good was a first teamer this year and probably will be next year. His injury simply postponed the Avon vs Massillon final for a year. 👍🏼

Good was a first teamer this year and probably will be next year. His injury simply postponed the Avon vs Massillon final for a year. 👍🏼
Could be. But don't sell Hoban short. They have some big time talent returning and from talking to people there is a boatload of talent coming up. Also, to make an analogy all I have heard for the last 5 yllears was this is Penn State's year to get overEds the Michigan Ohio State hump. At present time they still haven''t done it. Also the last time before this year when Massillon beat Hoban 17 to 14 in the regional final the following year in the state championship game Hoban 35 Massillon 6. Not saying it will be that way again but everyone was saying Georgia unseated Alabama.Alabama no longer is national championship level.Well who won last week when they played?

Could be. But don't sell Hoban short. They have some big time talent returning and from talking to people there is a boatload of talent coming up. Also, to make an analogy all I have heard for the last 5 yllears was this is Penn State's year to get overEds the Michigan Ohio State hump. At present time they still haven''t done it. Also the last time before this year when Massillon beat Hoban 17 to 14 in the regional final the following year in the state championship game Hoban 35 Massillon 6. Not saying it will be that way again but everyone was saying Georgia unseated Alabama.Alabama no longer is national championship level.Well who won last week when they played?
Don’t worry. Avon will never underestimate, overlook, forget about Hoban. I’m sure both teams will be strong next year. And we still don’t know about Toledo CC. Avon might be fighting them just to get to Hoban.

Hoban will need a better quarterback that's for sure.