Hoover District facility

84Card

How ridiculous is this. Hoover is going to go to 5 mats this year. 3 in the main gym and 2 in the aux. gym where the wrestlers warmed up last year. The fans will have to be mobile traveling down the stairs to the back room while your wrestler wrestles. When they are done you will be ask to go back to the main gym. Will there be a warm up area? Why the change?
This wouldn’t happen in Mentor. Lets bring back the MEAT GRINDER

Seems very strange that they would need 5 mats on Friday evening with just two championship rounds and no consolations.
When the semis begin (at 11:00) I also wouldn't see a need for 5 mats.

Last edited:
I remember those Friday nights doing a round of consolations after the two preliminary rounds. Sometimes wouldn't get off the mat till after 11:00.

I remember those Friday nights doing a round of consolations after the two preliminary rounds. Sometimes wouldn't get off the mat till after 11:00.
I remember getting off the mat at Massillon Perry at close to midnight. It was not good. 5 mats is ALWAYS better than 4.

How ridiculous is this. Hoover is going to go to 5 mats this year. 3 in the main gym and 2 in the aux. gym where the wrestlers warmed up last year. The fans will have to be mobile traveling down the stairs to the back room while your wrestler wrestles. When they are done you will be ask to go back to the main gym. Will there be a warm up area? Why the change?
This wouldn’t happen in Mentor. Lets bring back the MEAT GRINDER
Sorry but Mentor can't handle more than 4 mats and even that is a tight squeeze.
Many new schools have gyms and aux gyms that are much better.

Sorry but Mentor can't handle more than 4 mats and even that is a tight squeeze.
Many new schools have gyms and aux gyms that are much better.
We could set up a couple of mats in the Aux gym like Hoovers doing and get rid of the warm up area

We could set up a couple of mats in the Aux gym like Hoovers doing and get rid of the warm up area
The difference is that Hoover can get 6 mats on the floor. I did a Sectional there about 15 years ago and there were 3 D1 mats and 3 D2 mats set up. If they aren't doing that, I have no idea why except maybe for seating?

Been to Mentor and Hoover (Along with Ashland, Ashland HS, CSU, Perry, Perrysburg, Clay, CSU, and Lorain)
Hoover is by far the better choice. Not even comparable to Mentor, as Hoover could do 4 and still have more seating than mentor. But my guess is going to 5 is to make the night shorter.

It’s not so much about having it at Mentor. It’s about running an extra mat in another gym and not having a warm up area for the wrestlers. You don’t need 5 mats

It’s not so much about having it at Mentor. It’s about running an extra mat in another gym and not having a warm up area for the wrestlers. You don’t need 5 mats
Never worked a table or officiated a District meet have you?
5 mats on Friday is a blessing and all three location in the NE are doing it this year.

The guy is giving an opinion and it has merit. No need to be the north end of a southbound cow. Having room to warmup is important. I've worked a couple dozen tournaments at Hoover and believe it or not they have room for both a 5th mat for wrestling AND a warmup area. It's that large.

Never worked a table or officiated a District meet have you?
5 mats on Friday is a blessing and all three location in the NE are doing it this year.
Never did either. Been to many tournaments where they shut down mats because of the time limits between matches

I understand what 84Card is saying. It is a District Tournament why the drastic change when it isn’t needed. You are looking 40 percent of the matches not in a main gym. About 67 matches in the back and about 101 on the main stage.

The last round is looking to be an hour long or so with 11 matches on a mat.

This also is Giving kids less time to make weight for the night. Instead of 5 mats just start it an hour earlier. The gym has never been overly packed in all the years I have been there.

I continue to see recommendations time and time again from people that do not look at the whole picture and only what they feel is best. This is another reason I feel these changes have been made. People worried about everything but the wrestlers.

I have seen many of times kids making weight at the last minute. You are now giving the wrestlers less time for recovery and to make weight during the biggest weekend of the year for most of these wrestlers.

why they starting at 5 on friday.run 4 mats and start at 3 and do a consi round.then saturday reduce to one gym.its about money and getting people in and out.not thinking about the wrestler .

Does school end early for wrestling?
Who cares about the student body of North Canton. Only the wrestlers matter!

Forget the fact it has been done this way here and Garfield Heights since they started hosting years ago! Forget that last year's organization of mats led to kids running on mats in front of officials as matches were going on and coaches not following the floor procedures and blocking fans view and officials from doing their jobs to the fullest. Forget the fact that Perry is doing the same exact thing but putting two mats in a completely different area unlike North Canton! WAAAAAA WAAAAA WAAAA! GIRLS ARE WRESTLING IN COLUMBUS! THE HORROR!

This is what was sent out.
Our gym set-up will be different this year for the District Tournament. Three mats will run in our main gym. Two mats will run in our Aux. gym, which is attached. Both sets of lower bleachers will be pulled out - this will give our spectators more lower level seating over the two days. For wrestlers who have matches in the Aux gym - immediate family and teammates will be able to walk down the stairs on the south end of our gym and enter the Aux gym for that match only. After the conclusion of their match - family will have to walk back up the stairs into the main gym. There is also a walking path where fans can watch matches in the Aux gym.

Our gym set-up will be different this year for the District Tournament. Three mats will run in our main gym. Two mats will run in our Aux. gym, which is attached. Both sets of lower bleachers will be pulled out - this will give our spectators more lower level seating over the two days. For wrestlers who have matches in the Aux gym - immediate family and teammates will be able to walk down the stairs on the south end of our gym and enter the Aux gym for that match only. After the conclusion of their match - family will have to walk back up the stairs into the main gym. There is also a walking path where fans can watch matches in the Aux gym.
Sounds better than last year if it follows through and most importantly, better than the Mentor setup.

This is what was sent out. For wrestlers who have matches in the Aux gym - immediate family and teammates will be able to walk down the stairs on the south end of our gym and enter the Aux gym for that match only. After the conclusion of their match - family will have to walk back up the stairs into the main gym. There is also a walking path where fans can watch matches in the Aux gym.
Unless I'm completely misunderstanding this, my number one question/concern would be what are spectators paying for if they don't have access to 40% of the matches going on? I apologize if my comprehension is out of sink, otherwise this is completely whacked.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding this, my number one question/concern would be what are spectators paying for if they don't have access to 40% of the matches going on? I apologize if my comprehension is out of sink, otherwise this is completely whacked.
60%????

Also, will there be Security asking for some type of credentials to enter the auxiliary gym, and will the same Security be shooing people out (team members and family members) as others are arriving. I must not be understanding this correctly because it rather seems like a cluster.

Will be unwanted chaos and drama Period. Why a school sets themself up for failure and contraversy I do not know.........

+
Will be unwanted chaos and drama Period. Why a school sets themself up for failure and contraversy I do not know.........
Nice, had to look that one up.

con·tro·ver·sy
/ˈkäntrəˌvərsē/
noun: controversy; plural noun: controversies

disagreement, typically when prolonged, public, and heated.
"the announcement ended a protracted controversy"

Also, will there be Security asking for some type of credentials to enter the auxiliary gym, and will the same Security be shooing people out (team members and family members) as others are arriving. I must not be understanding this correctly because it rather seems like a cluster.

Perhaps Top Gun coiuld rent out the infamous "Big Man In The Red Hat" for the weekend.......;););)

Perhaps Top Gun coiuld rent out the infamous "Big Man In The Red Hat" for the weekend.......;););)
Or, more tournaments could go the way of ironman and let people sit anywhere as long as they are out of the way. Biggest tournament of the year uses 2 gyms. It is about the wrestlers this week, not mom or dad or some bully in a red hat. Roll some mats out, wrestle some matches. No Drama needed. Also, hoover is way better than mentor.

Glad we won't be there. Lower level seating sucks unless they strictly enforce who is permitted on the floor.