Holy War Part 1?: St. Ignatius (4-1) vs. St. Edward (5-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 20+

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • St. Edward by 13-19

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • St. Edward by 8-12

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • St. Ignatius

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wondering if we will see a PD/Cleveland.com article this week chronicling Kyle's history in this great rivalry? By my account, he is 26-16-1 (including 3-1 in the playoffs) heading into Saturday's matchup. I tend to agree with those predicting a close, low scoring game. Dating back to '83, St. Edward has only beaten Kyle's Wildcats by double digits on 5 occasions. St. Edward is riding a 4-game streak dating back to the '18 playoff game. Prior to this, they have never won more than 2 in a row against Kyle.

The strength of the Ignatius defense are the defensive ends and the 2 corner backs. A typical Ignatius defense has very good linebacker play. This team has good linebacker play, with the exception of bouncing off or not being able to slow down Lamar Sperling.

I worry that this is the game the Bullock will find his rhythm as a passer.

I think Mentor/Medina winner this weekend will emerge as most likely to prevent a Holy War II. I think we will get one, though.
I think I agree. The 1 team that might keep it from happening could be Medina. Although if Ignatius has a bad game in the playoffs, I would not be surprised if they got beat by someone other than Medina. And maybe a team we don't see it coming from.

I went on the Ignatius website to buy tickets for the game and it says I need a passcode. Will that change come Wednesday. Do I need to call the school to get this. In the past I think they just let Ignatius and Ed's families/alum, etc... get them first then open it up to the public. Hopefully that is what is going on now and I will be able to buy tickets on Wednesday. Thoughts on what is going on? Thanks.

I went on the Ignatius website to buy tickets for the game and it says I need a passcode. Will that change come Wednesday. Do I need to call the school to get this. In the past I think they just let Ignatius and Ed's families/alum, etc... get them first then open it up to the public. Hopefully that is what is going on now and I will be able to buy tickets on Wednesday. Thoughts on what is going on? Thanks.

On sale Wed.

SIHS Sports

@SIHSSports

FB: General Admission tickets for this weekend's game between Saint Ignatius and St. Edward will go on sale tomorrow at 10 a.m. on https://ignatiuswildcats.com/tickets! Kick-off is Saturday at 7 p.m. from Byers Field! #GoCats

Yes, the passcode for yesterday and today was for students to purchase first. They have a limit of 4 each
As Tom 48 notes, GA sales to the general public go on sale Wednesday at 10 am

Yes, the passcode for yesterday and today was for students to purchase first. They have a limit of 4 each
As Tom 48 notes, GA sales to the general public go on sale Wednesday at 10 am
Thanks. I'll hop on the site tomorrow AM and get the Holy War tickets!! I also love going to Antonio's for dinner before the game. I really hope that it gets a great crowd. Weather looks fantastic.

I have a wedding so I can't be in attendance, but have fun to everyone going.

I remember a few REALLY big crowds at Byers for these games ('02, '08 [reg season]) in particular - absent the crowd at FirstEnergy, I wonder if this will be the largest crowd for a holy war, given that it's likely Ky;e's last.

Forecast is for high winds from Ian, 20-30 mph, and with the wind tunnel that is Byers, don't look for much passing.

Freshmen:
Eds 27
Ignatius 26

Ignatius led 26-9 at halftime. The Ignatius kids were celebrating like they won the game.

Then some big plays by Eds, and two turnovers by Ignatius flipped the game.

Freshmen:
Eds 27
Ignatius 26

Ignatius led 26-9 at halftime. The Ignatius kids were celebrating like they won the game.

Then some big plays by Eds, and two turnovers by Ignatius flipped the game.
That's why freshman football is primarily a learning experience.
For the Ignatius kids - no lead is safe, so play through to the end. For the Ed's team - never give up

Sounds like a good game! Definitely agree with the list from the PD article, I think all of those games were hard fought and consequential. Still can't believe we lost in '86.

I would expect this game to come down to the wire, maybe a one score game. I'm sure the Wildcat team will be very fired up to give Coach Kyle a final victory over the Eagles. I'm looking forward to game.

Forecast is for high winds from Ian, 20-30 mph, and with the wind tunnel that is Byers, don't look for much passing.
Even if there was no wind I wasn't thinking there would be much passing. Lol! Wind could potentially aid the team that has the wind at their back. That's when they MAY throw it some. Wind could be a huge factor though in the kicking game. Both on FG's and punts (with the wind vs. against the wind. Punting can be brutal if the wind is really gusting). Looking for 3 OT's.

Last edited: