High schools that you remember from years ago that no longer exist

In Butler County there was Reily High School. The Blue Jays. 1957 have been the last year. In the late 1950s Glendale High School and Sharonville High School closed to form Princeton High School. Lincoln Heights, a mostly black community had its own high from 1959 to 1970. It won both the small school state basketball and baseball championships in 1970. Less than a month later the school closed and became part of the Princeton school district. Lockland Wayne, an all-black school existed from 1938 until 1958. It won the small school state basketball championships in 1952 and 1955. Joe Martin was both the principal and basketball coach for the duration. In those days the OHSAA divided schools into Class A (151 or more boys) and Class B (150 or fewer boys). Legend has it that Martin always knew exactly what the male enrollment was at the school. When the potential 151st male tried to enroll, Martin would take the prospective student to the back door, but his arm around him, point to Lockland High School a block or two away and say, "Son, that is where you want to enroll." At least, that's the way legend has it. Also in the 1950s, Terrace Park, an upscale community, had its own high school (the Bulldogs). It merged into Mariemont High School.
Good call on Flaget HS. There has been discussion, published by the Diocese of Columbus, that Flaget HS may be rebooted in a couple years.

Good ole CAPE!!!! lol

Football power, yes! It's funny, I don't remember any other sports at CAPE. I am assuming they had them, just not power houses.
I recall at least one basketball team they had that made it to playing at UD arena, so that was either districts or Regionals, 1986 ish.

I was reading through past basketball tournaments and say one from the 80s called Graysville Skyvue? Not from that part of Ohio, what school did they merge/consolidate with? They made the final 4 twice, 1984 and 1985, being runner up in 1985.
I remember them very well! LOL

Skyvue was a traditional basketball focused school and neighboring rival Woodsfield was a football focus school. Once the 2 consolidated, basketball took a backseat and they haven't had a lot of success until this year! This is probably the best team Monroe Central has had since to 2 consolidated in the mid 90's.

Greenford Bobcats in Mahoning county. They combined with North Luna in 70's to form South Range.
Farmington India ns were absorbed into Bristol (think late 70's). Farmington had some great players in 60's and 70's.

Warren Harding (4th) and Warren Western Reserve (10th) were both ranked in the top 10 in OHSAA D1 basketball in 1989. They soon consolidated to Warren Harding and WWR was no more.

Attachments

• 1989 AP BB Poll.PNG
    1989 AP BB Poll.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 29
In Muskingum County, Frazeysburg, Dresden and Adamsville merged into Tri-Valley. Lynwood-Jacksontown, a 1959 Final Four small school basketball participant in Licking County was eventually absorbed into the nearby Lakewood School District in nearby Hebron on U.S. 40. Frazeysburg was in the small school state basketball tournament. I think it was 1957.

Before their merger with St,Vincent , St.Mary’s had some success. They won the Class B State Basketball Tourney in 1929. They played football in 1921 and 1922 then dropped it until 1946. They sported a great running back by the name of Joe Richardson.In 1961 they went 8-0, and 7-1 in their final year 1962. St. Mary became an all girls school in 1963. My late Mother was a proud Crusader grad, class of 1940.

• Dresden Jefferson Jayhawks - 1963 & 1964 State Champs, coached by the legendary Jack Van Reeth

• Glenford High School - Glen Hursey graduated in 1948 as the all-time leading scorer in the state of Ohio with 2431 points

Here are some of the defunct high schools Delphos SJ has played in the last 100+ years of basketball. There might be more but I wasn't sure on some so I didn't list them: Alger, Beaverdam, Celina ICHS, Lincoln Heights, Columbus Holy Rosary, Columbus Wehrle, Cridersville, Dunkirk, Elmore, Forest, Glandorf, Gomer, Grand Rapids, Grover Hill, Harrod, Haviland, Hoagland Jackson, Kenton St. Anthony, Lima St. Gerard, Lima St. John, Lima St. Rose, Lockland Wayne, Marion St. Mary, Marseille, Mendon, Middle Point, Mt. Victory, Nevada, New Lexington St. Aloysius, Oakwood, Ohio City, Ottawa, Payne, Ridge, Rockford, Sidney Holy Angels, Tiro, Vaughnsville, Wapak St. Joseph, Willshire, Wren and York. Not sure about Dayton: Roosevelt, Stivers, Colonel White and Chaminade.
Chaminade (all boys school) turned into Chaminade Julienne (merged with Julienne, all girls Catholic school in Dayton).

Lorain Catholic. The Spartans were a small school basketball power under HOF coach Jim Lawhead in the 1970’s, 80’s and 90’s until closing in 2004.

Lorain Senior. The Steelman had a rich athletic history, mostly in the old Buckeye Conference.

Lorain Admiral King. A big school basketball power during its entire history, especially under HOF coach Mitch Gillam.

Lorain Southview. Another great basketball program in Lorain, but better known as a wrestling powerhouse under Dan Ternes.

Elyria West. Good all around athletics in the 1970’s, 80’s and 90’s until being absorbed into Elyria High.

South Amherst. The Cavaliers were consolidated into rival Firelands.
I play on a baseball team currently with a bunch of guys, mostly from Lorain County, and several played college sports. A couple of them played basketball too. I am from Cuyahoga County but I they from what I gather were legit athletes. Several played in college and went to schools listed...Southview, Lorain Catholic and I believe Elyria West. All over the county. Mid to late 80s. A couple are in sports HOFs for HS/college/county.

Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education

I know they were a football power, were they ever good at basketball?
Their boys team won the Cincinnati Hills league the first two years of the league but I don’t know how far they went in post-season.
They were good at track, too.

I play on a baseball team currently with a bunch of guys, mostly from Lorain County, and several played college sports. A couple of them played basketball too. I am from Cuyahoga County but I they from what I gather were legit athletes. Several played in college and went to schools listed...Southview, Lorain Catholic and I believe Elyria West. All over the county. Mid to late 80s. A couple are in sports HOFs for HS/college/county.
Not surprised. Lorain County, like a lot of Ohio back then, was loaded with great athletes. The 16 team AA sectional/district at Elyria and the 16 team AAA sectional district at Admiral King were meat grinders and the winners almost always had the chops to get to Columbus.

Not surprised. Lorain County, like a lot of Ohio back then, was loaded with great athletes. The 16 team AA sectional/district at Elyria and the 16 team AAA sectional district at Admiral King were meat grinders and the winners almost always had the chops to get to Columbus.
Yeah, I know one of them played in the state tournament for Lorain Catholic. One guy is an Elyria West alum..play with an Elyria alum from the 90s and two Southview alums. I just met these guys a few years ago. I know one guy is consider one of the best athletes to come out of Lorain County and it still shows SMH.

I remember my alma mater Cleveland Hts played a really tough Admiral King team on the way to the state tournament at CSU in regionals, maybe 1993 or so..

Lorain Catholic. The Spartans were a small school basketball power under HOF coach Jim Lawhead in the 1970’s, 80’s and 90’s until closing in 2004.

Lorain Senior. The Steelman had a rich athletic history, mostly in the old Buckeye Conference.

Lorain Admiral King. A big school basketball power during its entire history, especially under HOF coach Mitch Gillam.

Lorain Southview. Another great basketball program in Lorain, but better known as a wrestling powerhouse under Dan Ternes.

Elyria West. Good all around athletics in the 1970’s, 80’s and 90’s until being absorbed into Elyria High.

South Amherst. The Cavaliers were consolidated into rival Firelands.
For fans of Lorain basketball, I ran across this You Tube channel. It'll be a good stroll down memory lane!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?app=desktop&list=PLLYAkovAhpMgDjmW8g1g0VfBRz6aSVcHb

For fans of Lorain basketball, I ran across this You Tube channel. It'll be a good stroll down memory lane!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?app=desktop&list=PLLYAkovAhpMgDjmW8g1g0VfBRz6aSVcHb
Nice. I was at the SVSM at Lorain Catholic game with Jerome Lane and the nationally ranked Irish escaping with a two point win over a great LC Spartans team that would go on to lose in the AA state semi to eventual champ Youngstown Rayen. Some great basketball back then.

Nice. I was at the SVSM at Lorain Catholic game with Jerome Lane and the nationally ranked Irish escaping with a two point win over a great LC Spartans team that would go on to lose in the AA state semi to eventual champ Youngstown Rayen. Some great basketball back then.
The last basketball game I saw with my dad was Central-Hower versus Admiral King. Both schools, like the man, are now gone.

Last edited:
Once upon a time the city of Lima had 5 high schools. Central and South (consolidated to form Lima Senior) and then St. Johns, St. Rose and St. Gerard (consolidated to form Lima Central Catholic).

I attended the original South building for middle school in the early / mid 90s. Was a really cool, REALLY old building even then haha.

Trumbull County:
WARREN HIGH SCHOOL Red and White--red & white: replaced by Warren G. Harding, 1926
MESOPOTAMIA (Mespo) Bulldogs—green & white: merged into Bloomfield, 1950
BAZETTA Eagles—blue & white: merged into Cortland, 1956
GREENE White Eagles, JOHNSTON Red Rangers—red & blue, MECCA Rockets—blue & white: merged into Maplewood, 1960
GUSTAVUS Tomcats—blue & gold, HARTFORD Bobcats—red & white, KINSMAN Klippers—red & black, VERNON Blue Streaks—blue & white: merged into Badger, 1960
CORTLAND Bulldogs—blue & white: replaced by Lakeview, 1961
FOWLER Wolverines—orange & black, VIENNA Flyers—red & white: merged into Mathews, 1961
WARREN ST. MARY’S Mohawks—purple & gold: replaced by Warren John F. Kennedy, 1964
BRACEVILLE Bees—red & white, LEAVITTSBURG Yellow Jackets—blue & gold: merged into LaBrae, 1970
WARREN MARKET Wildcats—black & white: closed, 1972
FARMINGTON Indians—red & white, merged into Bristol, 1988
WARREN WESTERN RESERVE Raiders—gold & white, merged into Warren G. Harding, 1990

Last edited:
Columbus....in addition to the existing directional schools of East, West, North and South there was Columbus Central. Catholic schools Aquinas and St. Mary's (a 1956 basketball state tournament participant.

Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education

I know they were a football power, were they ever good at basketball?
Lake Catholic destroyed CAPE in the 1991 Division III State Championship. But they definitely had some athletes. I could be wrong, but didn’t Carlos Snow attend CAPE?