HC for 10+ years

NEOballer

With the coaching carousel in full swing again, it had me wondering what the odds of a coach lasting a decade are. Would love to know the coaches around the state that have been with their current school for 10 or more years. I know they are out there, but around me it sure seems like most schools have hired a coach (or two, or three) within the last ten years.

Andy Schafer has been at Columbus Grove since 2012, just finished his 11th season there.

First 6 years: 27-37, one winning season and playoff trip in 2014 with a state semi's appearance, no conference titles.

Last 5 years: 48-12, 4 conference titles, 4 playoff appearances, 2 state semifinal appearances. Last 3 years they went 33-5, only the second time in school history with 3 consecutive 10-win seasons.

A lot of people wanted him out after year 6, the school backed him and stayed with him and it's paid off massively. He's now tied for most wins as a head coach in school history. A lot of schools could learn some lessons from Grove on trusting your coach

Great thread...

Got me thinking about other things I'd like to see people's opinions on...

1) If we are judging solely on turning the program into a consistent winner (because obviously there are reasons to non re new a coach besides winning and losing), what is an appropriate time frame for a coach to have to establish a program? How many years should an admin give a coaching regime before a change is made?

2) For the successful coaches who move on to better situations for their families (more money/better opportunity etc), what do you consider them paying their debt to the school they are leaving? A time being there or other factors? What gets them off the hook for leaving for something better?

Great thread...

1) If we are judging solely on turning the program into a consistent winner (because obviously there are reasons to non re new a coach besides winning and losing), what is an appropriate time frame for a coach to have to establish a program? How many years should an admin give a coaching regime before a change is made?

2) For the successful coaches who move on to better situations for their families (more money/better opportunity etc), what do you consider them paying their debt to the school they are leaving? A time being there or other factors? What gets them off the hook for leaving for something better?
Absolutely nothing. The coach provided a service, the district paid for their service.

Rick Meeks has been at Springfield Shawnee since I think 03-04. He has interviewed for a few bigger jobs in the timeframe but has stayed the course. Also, the core of his staff has been there the entire time too.

Great thread...

1. I think you have to be realistic on the atmosphere your football team is playing in. If you play a relatively easy schedule and have the athletes then the timeframe will be shorter than if you have a tough schedule and don't really have the athletes.

2. I think this one is really nuanced. I would say generally, unless a massive upgrade type job or massive family change occurs, a coach needs to commit to a school for 2-3 years. I can respect a coach leaving after a year if a MAC school comes calling or he gets an offer for a school much bigger or more prestigious than the one he is at, but I really struggle with the coaches who leave a team after 1 year to go to the same caliber team elsewhere.
Other factors could be, did the school or community go above and beyond for the coach and his family in some capacity? Is his departure going to cause a much higher than usual amount of upheaval? etc

In the Youngstown Area (that I know of):

Bob Spaite- Columbiana (29 years) 189-111; 63% win percentage
Dan Yeagley- South Range (27 years) 248-75; 77% win percentage
Dan Williams- McDonald (23 years) 159-84; 65% win percentage
Mike Pavlansky- Canfield (22 years) 176-72; 71% win percentage
Randy Clark- Brookfield (18 years) 115-76; 60% win percentage
Sean Guerriero- Springfield local (16 years) 115-63; 65% win percentage
Brian Hoffman- Hubbard (15 years) 130-50; 72% win percentage
Dan Reardon- Ursuline (12 years, 2 separate stints) 102-47; 68% win percentage
Steve Arnold- Warren Harding (11 years) 64-53; 55% win percentage

Last edited:
I believe with Jay Sharrett stepping down at Pickerington Central, Olentangy Liberty's Steve Hale is the longest-serving coach in the Ohio Capital Conference. He has been with the school since its inception in 2003.

I don't know if there's any Ottawa-Glandorf posters around here, but OG coach Ken Schriner just finished his 27th season as head coach of the Titans. His overall record with them is 197-107

Bob Spaite- Columbiana (29 years)
Dan Yeagley- South Range (27 years)
Dan Williams- McDonald (23 years)
Mike Pavlansky- Canfield (22 years)
Randy Clark- Brookfield (18 years)
Sean Guerriero- Springfield local (16 years)
Brian Hoffman- Hubbard (15 years)
Dan Reardon- Ursuline (12 years, 2 separate stints)
Steve Arnold- Warren Harding (11 years)

Good list, I think Reno (Steubenville) has been there a long time.... stretching the 'youngstown area' just a bit!

Bob Spaite- Columbiana (29 years) 189-111; 63% win percentage
Dan Yeagley- South Range (27 years) 248-75; 77% win percentage
Dan Williams- McDonald (23 years) 159-84; 65% win percentage
Mike Pavlansky- Canfield (22 years) 176-72; 71% win percentage
Randy Clark- Brookfield (18 years) 115-76; 60% win percentage
Sean Guerriero- Springfield local (16 years) 115-63; 65% win percentage
Brian Hoffman- Hubbard (15 years) 130-50; 72% win percentage
Dan Reardon- Ursuline (12 years, 2 separate stints) 102-47; 68% win percentage
Steve Arnold- Warren Harding (11 years) 64-53; 55% win percentage
Before Brian Hoffman took over at Hubbard, Jeff Bayuk was there for 16 years with a similar winning percentage.