Have You Become Your Father?

EagleGuy

I can see this in me - to some extent. For example, I usually drive 5-10 mph slower on freeways than I used to drive. - in the right hand lane, of course. No hurry.

Have you become your father? If so, how?

Not only do I rarely approach the speed limit on the freeway (despite protests by everybody in the car) I make all kinds of noises when I use my hands to push up from my chair to get up
I too have found the help making noises aids in moving items, extricating ones self from the table, plunging down into the recliner etc. Wife is not impressed with the sound effects so I try to limit them.
But just yesterday, I was in the shop wrapping teflon tape around a pipe joint. I heard myself making faint grunts and a pattern of holding my breath then slightly grunting as I rapidly expelled the air and gulped in another breath before holding it again as I intently focused on the pipe wrapping. My mind knew I had heard that pattern of breathing before, and as I thought back, sure enough, dad did those same patterns when he intensely focused on something.

I did not do this when younger. Made me wonder, did Dad always do it, or like me, is it just something that comes with age?

I too have found the help making noises aids in moving items, extricating ones self from the table, plunging down into the recliner etc. Wife is not impressed with the sound effects so I try to limit them.
But just yesterday, I was in the shop wrapping teflon tape around a pipe joint. I heard myself making faint grunts and a pattern of holding my breath then slightly grunting as I rapidly expelled the air and gulped in another breath before holding it again as I intently focused on the pipe wrapping. My mind knew I had heard that pattern of breathing before, and as I thought back, sure enough, dad did those same patterns when he intensely focused on something.

I did not do this when younger. Made me wonder, did Dad always do it, or like me, is it just something that comes with age?
Ouch!! Shhhh I don't do that.

I'd say we all do to certain degrees, and that's not a bad thing. Heard the term "older and wiser" or learning from the "school of hard knocks"?
It's true. I think once you've been and adult for 30-40 years, you've experienced most everything.
Most of us don't appreciate our parents when we are growing up, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's the evolution of growing up.

A little off topic....

My wife is adopted. She was about 2 weeks old when she was adopted. She met her biological father in her 30's. It was scary crazy how much their mannerisms were spot on identical. It settled the debate for me at least that genetics trump environment.

My wife says I have more traits of my mother than my dad. How I share my opinions and talk to prefect strangers. She shared a few more but you get the idea. I do see more and more of my wife's mother in her and in all honest that is not good, because in truth I was not her mother's favorite person to put in mildly. I might add we are getting old and have been married 53 plus years.

My wife says I have more traits of my mother than my dad. How I share my opinions and talk to prefect strangers. She shared a few more but you get the idea. I do see more and more of my wife's mother in her and in all honest that is not good, because in truth I was not her mother's favorite person to put in mildly. I might add we are getting old and have been married 53 plus years.
You two WIN that dance at the wedding receptions don't you?

My EX used to play softball at a very high level in her younger years. And she can tell you, that she don't think that many of um like guys very much! :rolleyes:
I didn't if I'm honest. Never played a co-ed game in my life. I enjoyed their play, just not with me. Why play when you're not the same? I understood same amount of ladies on each team. But, what happens when boy meets girl on playing field?

I can see this in me - to some extent. For example, I usually drive 5-10 mph slower on freeways than I used to drive. - in the right hand lane, of course. No hurry.

Have you become your father? If so, how?
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He showed no emotion to his chillern or his wife. He smoked like a freight train, with no regard to the secondary health of his family. And he blew his brains out because he couldn't breathe with emphysema, leaving his sixty year old spouse to fend for herself.

Let's see, my dad was a WWII veteran (Purple Heart), licensed pilot, stock car dirt track racer, horse shoe champion, steel worker, farmer, and father of five.

I pale in comparison to my dad. Wish he would not have passed away when I was three years old.
I'm curious. HOW does one farm full time, while working in a STEEL MILL? If you farm part time, it's a HOBBY! I know from experience. I was raised in one of the largest farming communities in the country. We supply produce for chain grocery stores INGLES, HARVEY'S, and WALMART!

Last edited:
In some ways, but I've never told my kids "I'll kick your a** til your nose bleeds!"
I do like to answer the phone by saying "Yellow."
My father worked five days a week, 100 miles from my hometown. And when he got home Friday night, dear ole MOM had a list a lil things I'd screwed up on, which turned into quite a list. And dear ole DAD would take out his belt and set me straight. I got my last whupping when I was EIGHTEEN! Boot camp was a VACATION after that.

For Father's Day in my card I put something like "Progressive Commercials tell us to not be like our parents. I think that is garbage. I would love to become my parents........
He loved it.

Retired. Loving and enjoying life after a long, successful career surrounded by a large family who all get along and are very close.

Yeah,
I would love to be my parents.
SO, I take it that you never figured out what was causing that large family?

Somewhat, but with some major differences, too.

Just recently, I commented that I'm turning into my dad. Dad used to love watching the women's NCAA softball tournament and I found myself watching several games last week. He used to eat a bowl of ice cream every night and lately I've been doing the same. And, yes, I drive much slower. Politically, I've become more conservative, like him, but most people do as they age.

Big difference: Dad was a devout church-going Catholic, through and through. Me, not so much...to say the least. ;)
Not according to the 95,000,000 votes for the dummy in the Whitehouse!