Greatest Game Ever?

State title games/wins, for me supersede all other games. I’m partial to great comebacks. Outside of the 9 state championship games, the 1989 3rd round playoff game between Steubenville and NC Hoover was a great one. The Big Red was down 31-7 with roughly 5 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. Without listing (because I forget) the exact details, the Mighty Big Red came back to win in OT 37-31. One detail I do remember is it was a blocked punt that started the comeback and a long field goal by the best kicker we ever had, Mike Jones, to send it into OT. I think we spent everything we had in the tank that week. The following week in the semi finals we came out flat and it stayed that way in a 19-0 loss to St. Joes.
That game was played at Fawcett Stadium in Canton on a Friday night . I attended that game and it was electric. During those years, some playoff games were held on Friday, some on Saturday. The Tigers’ game was on Saturday, so many Massillon fans were in attendance.

Plano East vs John Tyler 1994 Texas Division 5A state semifinal.

John Tyler was up 27-17 with 4:35 remaining.
Plano East has a first and goal but fumbled and John Tyler returns it 90 yards for a TD to go up 34-17 with 4:24 left.
Plano East gets the ball back and 4 plays later fumbles it again and John Tyler returns it 36 yards to go up 41-17 with 3:03 left.
Game over! Right? Wrong!!!!!
Plano East goes 70 yards in 2 plays to get back to 41-23 with 2:36 left.
Plano East kicks an onside kick and gets it.
Plano East scores 6 plays later to make it 41-31 with 1:29 left.
Plano East kicks an onside kick and gets it again.
Plano East scores 6 plays later to make it 41-37 with :56 left.
Plano East kicks an onside kick and gets it yet again!!
Plano East scores 3 plays later to go up 44-41 with :24 left.
Plano East kicks off to John Tyler and Tyler returns the kickoff 97 yards for a TD to win 48-44!!!

ESPN did a 30 for 30 on it. Absolutely amazing.

Plano East vs John Tyler 1994 Texas Division 5A state semifinal.

John Tyler was up 27-17 with 4:35 remaining.
Plano East has a first and goal but fumbled and John Tyler returns it 90 yards for a TD to go up 34-17 with 4:24 left.
Plano East gets the ball back and 4 plays later fumbles it again and John Tyler returns it 36 yards to go up 41-17 with 3:03 left.
Game over! Right? Wrong!!!!!
Plano East goes 70 yards in 2 plays to get back to 41-23 with 2:36 left.
Plano East kicks an onside kick and gets it.
Plano East scores 6 plays later to make it 41-31 with 1:29 left.
Plano East kicks an onside kick and gets it again.
Plano East scores 6 plays later to make it 41-37 with :56 left.
Plano East kicks an onside kick and gets it yet again!!
Plano East scores 3 plays later to go up 44-41 with :24 left.
Plano East kicks off to John Tyler and Tyler returns the kickoff 97 yards for a TD to win 48-44!!!

ESPN did a 30 for 30 on it. Absolutely amazing.

Also won a Viewers Choice ESPY in 1995 for Best Showstopper.

State title games/wins, for me supersede all other games. I’m partial to great comebacks. Outside of the 9 state championship games, the 1989 3rd round playoff game between Steubenville and NC Hoover was a great one. The Big Red was down 31-7 with roughly 5 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter. Without listing (because I forget) the exact details, the Mighty Big Red came back to win in OT 37-31. One detail I do remember is it was a blocked punt that started the comeback and a long field goal by the best kicker we ever had, Mike Jones, to send it into OT. I think we spent everything we had in the tank that week. The following week in the semi finals we came out flat and it stayed that way in a 19-0 loss to St. Joes.

St. Joe went on to win their first and only Title against Fostoria. I still maintain Redmen gift wrapped that one

Nah.Hoover just called the dogs off to early.lol..H-O-O-V-E-R chant was loooud that night.Mike Jones was clutch.

The 80’s and early 90’s were a great time in fostoria football. Was it a close game?
Fostoria had 14-7 Halftime lead, and in a span of 3 minutes, gave up 14 including an ill-advised pitch-6 by eventual 1991 Mr Football, Derek Kidwell. St. Joe stuffed a near goalline situation at game's end. 21-14 Final

That game was played at Fawcett Stadium in Canton on a Friday night . I attended that game and it was electric. During those years, some playoff games were held on Friday, some on Saturday. The Tigers’ game was on Saturday, so many Massillon fans were in attendance.
It was really great to see our fans didn’t bail. We stuck around for what was surely going to an ugly loss. In 1994 We were looking to make a 3rd straight title game with a team that many consider to be Reno’s finest. Allowed west branch to comeback from a 21-0 2nd quarter lead only to lose in the final minute. We’ve been on both sides of that equation.

1. Best Game Ever for your school?

Pretty hard to beat Norwalk St. Paul rallying from 21-10 down in the second half, capped by a 98-yard drive and TD with five seconds left to beat a MAC power, Delphos St. John's, to win the Division VI state championship in 2009. DSJ fullback flinched on a 2nd and goal from the 2 for a false start, then didn't score when they attempted to go up 28-17 instead of an FG and 24-17 with under four minutes to go. Wild.

2. Best Game Ever that you were at (not including your school)?

Hands down, the Div. VI state title game in 1996 between Mogadore and St. Henry. I mean it was 35-3 late in the first half and Mogadore's star player was on one leg ... Out of all the crazy sequences, St. Henry TD in third OT was wiped out on an offensive pass interference, setting up the game-winning FG in the 61-58 final.

3. Best Game Ever that your team lost?

The first state title game vs. Delphos St. John's in 1997. St. Paul led 14-0 and returned a fumble that was going to make it 21-0 in the first quarter, but it was wiped out on a shaky clipping call on the return. St. Paul didn't score, then DSJ's Greg Grothaus put on a show and the Jays won 42-28.

4. What's the "Best Game Ever" that didn't live up to the hype?

Another easy one. My first Massillon-McKinley game as an outsider fan was the aforementioned 2005 game when they were both 9-0. McKinley won by 30 points, but the pregame noise and walk-in around Fawcett was fun, at least.

5. What, hypothetical, if you could play matchmaker and pit two teams against eachother in any stadium/field/parking lot you could would be "Best Game Ever" What would be the epic matchup of all-time?

1999 Delphos St. John's vs. 2014 Marion Local ... I'm sure other MAC fans will throw in other versions from other schools, but these are the two top MAC teams that jump out to me over time.

1. 2022 State Championship victory over Hoban. I’m man enough to admit I started thinking “oh no not again.” Getting to hug my wife, mom and kids in the stands was the greatest moment.

To be fair, every single Tiger fan in that stadium thought "oh no not again."

I don't have games for all categories but here it goes.

1 Best win ever:1988 Delphos SJ vs. St. Henry. The 'Jays had lost 25 MAC games in a row and there had actually been serious discussion on dropping football. DSJ had gone 5-35 the previous four seasons. DSJ, 4-2, but 0-2 in the MAC, played St. Henry at home and trailed 13-10 late. With under a minute to go Greg Klausing his Kevin Wrasman in the middle of the west endzone for a TD and a 17-13 DSJ lead. If I close my eyes I can still see this play. SH fumbled on their first play after the kickoff and DSJ won. Even with all the MAC and state titles we've won, to me this is the most significant win in DSJ history. DSJ ended the season beating 1-9 Coldwater 22-0 to finish 6-4.
Runner-up: 2001 Playoffs 8-2 DSJ 38 9-0 DJ 13

3. Game we lost: 2003 DSJ vs Columbus Academy, state semi-finals. A total offensive shootout. Neither team could stop the other. A penalty at the end of the first half totally changed this game. In overtime CA scored but missed the extra point. Neither defense had stopped the other team all night so we felt pretty good. On 4th and 3(?) CA shot the gap and just barely tripped up the DSJ RB short of the first down. A fantastic game but a brutal loss.

4. Didn't match hype: 2005 Playoffs: DSJ 8-2 at 9-1 Covington. If I remember correctly Covington rolled down the field on their first possession to lead 7-0. Final score: DSJ 56 Covington 13

Here's my Shelby perspective that comes from about 2006 onwards. My categories may be a bit jumbled up but this is what I think based on my timeline:

1. Best Game Ever for your School?
The best game ever, in terms of simple notoriety, attention and fame, has to be the 2014 Shelby defeat to Tiffin Columbian. Shelby lost 83-82 in OT. Only one OT needed. Freshman Brennan Armstrong was the Shelby QB at the time, only 14 years old (who went on to set records at UVA and did pretty ok for NC State in his grad year this season). One of my friends was on the defensive staff that game, and he told me the sidelines were chaos. No one could do anything right, but everyone could similarly do EVERYTHING right.

I was in college at the time. Shelby had not been able to beat Tiffin more than once a decade in recent history. I checked the score early in the night and saw something like "48-21 Tiffin" in the first half and I didn't expect much different. An hour or so later, I looked for the final score and saw that the score was something like 63-62. I was glued to the laptop the rest of the evening refreshing for more updates. That freshman class would eventually go 13-1 and lose to Steubenville in the Final Four of 2017. Truly a biblical type event in Shelby that evening.

I'm counting games not including Shelby here. The best would probably be 2009 Wynford vs St. Paul at Ashland High School in the Regional Finals. Wynford, up to that point, had won 54 out of 55 regular season games. The final score was 28-21 St. Paul. The Wynford Royals had dealt with underwhelming playoff results despite the regular season success (against a pretty weak schedule all things considered), but it was the closest Wynford got to touching the sun up to the point in that dominant winning stretch. St. Paul would go on to beat Delphos St. John's in the state finals that year, which is a game mentioned in this thread already. Wynford would eventually continue their regular season win dominance to 79 out of 80 games across the 2004 to 2012 seasons. I believe that head coach is now at Wapakoneta, if anyone cares to know where the mind behind the dominance wound up.

This goes in a different category than the 2014 Shelby vs Tiffin game, which was not hyped, not cared about, and a wild game that didn't consider stakes, talent, or playoff implications for either side.

I absolutely will sound like I'm making excuses due to injuries, but here I go:

I would reasonably suggest either the 2016 or 2017 Shelby vs Steubenville games, which were played in the Regional Finals and Final 4 respectively.

The 2016 game (at Massillon Washington) 7-7 in the closing seconds before half, and Armstrong (see: 2014 Tiffin game) threw a pick 6 in the red zone that the Big Red turned into a 2pt conversion. What could've been a Shelby 14-7 lead into halftime turned into a Big Red 15-7 lead. Shelby Lost 29-15. Our best starting WR (went onto Ashland) and one of our starting linemen were suspended prior to that game for falling into Philo's shenanigans in the Regional Semis. A lot of should've would've could've's going on that night.

In 2017 (at University of Akron), Shelby was up going into the 4th quarter against Steubenville, but we couldn't keep up. Our RB with over 2000 career yards rolled his ankle against St. Marys in the Regional Semis, and it was mainly Armstrong scrambling as much as he could on every play. Kid was gassed, and Steubenville's depth wore Shelby down when they eventually won 35-22. Shelby led Ohio in the regular season AND postseason in 2017 in margin of victory per game. It was close to 50 points for and 5 against that season. Didn't matter that night.

RUNNER UP GAME: 2006 Shelby against Tiffin. For some background, the two met in 2005 in Week 10 with a 7-2 record each. A win meant playoffs and a Northern Ohio League title, a loss meant you went home with neither. In 2005, Shelby lost @ Tiffin 21-18.

In 2006, It was 7-2 Shelby against 8-1 Tiffin in Shelby for Week 10. Same scenario. A win meant playoffs and a league title, a loss meant neither. Back to back years of Week 10 drama. The 2006 game is especially notable because it was a rainy, mud bowl mess of a game on Shelby's grass field. The type where both teams are covered in sludge by the 2nd half. The final score was 7-6 Tiffin. Guys would be diving for passes and slide several yards regardless of a catch or miss. Tiffin wouldn' have much success in either the 2005 or 2006 playoffs, but it was a classic "this is what we play for" type game for both schools.

2020 Covid year in the Regional Finals vs. Van Wert. 9-0 Shelby taking on 8-1 Van Wert in Shelby. I knew the WBL was to be reckoned with, but the outcome was horrific. It was something like 42-0 VW at halftime at our home field. It felt like a return to the Final Four that, on paper, Shelby had a good chance to compete in. That Owens QB from Van Wert made Shelby look like garbage. Usually, I am pretty aware when Shelby is going to get whacked in the playoffs, but this was the one high-level game where I really didn't see a blowout coming like that. VW won state that year, so at least we lost to the best of the best that season.

Last edited:
1. 2022 State Championship victory over Hoban. I’m man enough to admit I started thinking “oh no not again.” Getting to hug my wife, mom and kids in the stands was the greatest moment.

If we’re going Mt. Rushmore
1994 100th game I was 7
2013 win at Steubenville, absurd amount of calls against the Tigers. The local McDonald’s threw all the celebrating Massillon fans out and refused us service
2018 win over Winton Woods to go to state

2. I went to a Greenwich South Central vs Collins Western Reserve basketball game in 2019. Western Reserve had quite a long winning streak going. Game was sold out and stands were full before halftime of JV game. That small school passion is hard to match. Reminded me a lot of Hoosiers. I don’t miss Massillon games, so I rarely get to enjoy other schools.

3. 2002 State final four missed a PAT in overtime vs Warren Harding at the Rubber Bowl.

2018 State Championship, I’ll firmly believe till the end of my days if Jamir Thomas plays, Massillon slays the dragon 5 years earlier.

4. 2005 9-0 Massillon was blown out by McKinley only to avenge the loss a few weeks later in the playoffs.

5. Massillon at Odessa Permian, two of, if not the most famous high school football programs.
Was 2005 the rubber bowl game?

If I pretend like I never attended a Rubber Bowl game (I never did and possibly wasn't old enough to be aware of it), could someone explain here why it was such a legendary spot for a game to be held? All I can gather was it was a stadium in the Akron area that was brutal and harsh based on the stories of the cold, winter games that took place there.

If I pretend like I never attended a Rubber Bowl game (I never did and possibly wasn't old enough to be aware of it), could someone explain here why it was such a legendary spot for a game to be held? All I can gather was it was a stadium in the Akron area that was brutal and harsh based on the stories of the cold, winter games that took place there.
Big, cheap and accessible.

I didn’t think that any stadium could be considered a “cold place” or be any different than any other stadium…… until I started going to playoff games in the rubber bowl. If I had to pick my “5 coldest games ever” 3 of them would be in the rubber bowl. The first one I went to was in the early 80’s when McKinley shocked the world and beat Moeller. Cold, snowy and windy.

I didn’t think that any stadium could be considered a “cold place” or be any different than any other stadium…… until I started going to playoff games in the rubber bowl. If I had to pick my “5 coldest games ever” 3 of them would be in the rubber bowl. The first one I went to was in the early 80’s when McKinley shocked the world and beat Moeller. Cold, snowy and windy.
Wind is such an important aspect when it comes to what feels cold. You don't really feel it until you're in a stadium like the rubber bowl or some of these high school fields surrounded by open fields that it becomes a problem. Trees, buildings, etc really help trap the warmth of the crowd around you and you don't feel it.

The 2005 title game was cold but I was on the home side down low crowded by fans and you were actually warm. Similar situation at Fawcett a couple years later in the snow game and I was on the end near the west endzone up high and my seats were last minute issued because they misplaced my original tickets, so I was far from the rest of the book buyers. Cold as hell just in Fawcett when you're not near anyone else.

The best game I ever saw where my team lost was the 2014 state semifinal between STVM and Athens. It was bittersweet in many ways. First, it was my son's last HS football game. Second, had the Irish won, they have gone on to the final appearance at Ohio State Stadium; which would have been great for my son! Still, the semifinal was a great game to watch. The Irish pretty well contained Joe Burrow in the first half, but the second half was a completely different story. I never saw a display of accuracy like that in any HS game. The Irish had a lot of talent in the defensive secondary and the receivers were pretty well covered the entire game. But it didn't matter, Burrow was absolutely on target. I'm not sure Athens had any YAC in the game! But, again, it didn't matter. He may have completed every pass in the second half. And, if not, it certainly seemed that way! It was back and forth until the end, but ultimately the Irish just could not get the stop they needed against Burrow. Burrow was (and is!) just a great QB. Back then no one could have predicted he was a Hesiman trophy winner to-be, or an NFL MVP-caliber player. But you knew you were witnessing greatness. It was a tough game for the Irish to lose, but it was a great game!

The best game I ever saw where my team lost was the 2014 state semifinal between STVM and Athens. It was bittersweet in many ways. First, it was my son's last HS football game. Second, had the Irish won, they have gone on to the final appearance at Ohio State Stadium; which would have been great for my son! Still, the semifinal was a great game to watch. The Irish pretty well contained Joe Burrow in the first half, but the second half was a completely different story. I never saw a display of accuracy like that in any HS game. The Irish had a lot of talent in the defensive secondary and the receivers were pretty well covered the entire game. But it didn't matter, Burrow was absolutely on target. I'm not sure Athens had any YAC in the game! But, again, it didn't matter. He may have completed every pass in the second half. And, if not, it certainly seemed that way! It was back and forth until the end, but ultimately the Irish just could not get the stop they needed against Burrow. Burrow was (and is!) just a great QB. Back then no one could have predicted he was a Hesiman trophy winner to-be, or an NFL MVP-caliber player. But you knew you were witnessing greatness. It was a tough game for the Irish to lose, but it was a great game!
We played him the next week. Burrow was amazing. Best game I ever saw in person. It would cool someday for the Fighting Irish to play the Fighting Irish. Almost had a chance this year with TCC versus Ursuline, but Chardon beat them.

We played him the next week. Burrow was amazing. Best game I ever saw in person. It would cool someday for the Fighting Irish to play the Fighting Irish. Almost had a chance this year with TCC versus Ursuline, but Chardon beat them.
The time I was sure they were destined to play each was in 2012 when you guys had Kizer as your QB. That would have been a tremendous match up. But, one of these days it's bound to happen.

Figured this could spark some discussion.

A few caveats, and categories.

We all have a few 'greatest game ever' ideas, and if you are counting nationally, the epic Tyler/Plano East game from 1994 is probably at or near the top of any list. However, let's make this more personal.

So, let's make some categories and fill in as many as you can with games you know of. Give as much detail/thoughts/back-story on them:

1. Best Game Ever for your school?

Maybe you were in the stands, maybe on the field, maybe you just know of it from lore. What's you're school's Mount Rushmore of great games?

Open up to games you weren't so biased in. But first hand-knowledge of it only. What happened, and why did you think it was great?

Dig into those dark memories and pull out the game that would've been the greatest ever, but your team lost, so you ignore it, or otherwise don't really remember it well. Either as a player, or a fan, a parents, etc. What's the game that would be listed at #1 if only your school pulled it off?

#1 v. #2? undefeated v. undefeated? What game looked to be greatness on paper but then the game was not just a letdown, but actually boring. To the point you remember how it didn't live up to the hype. Maybe it's one of those that would be listed under #3? But this is also open to all games, ever.

5. What, hypothetical, if you could play matchmaker and pit two teams against eachother in any stadium/field/parking lot you could would be "Best Game Ever". In state, out of state. Doesn't matter. You make the call and give your reasoning. Teams can be from any two years. Even two teams from the same school just different years. What would be the epic matchup of all-time?
Showing my age. 1964 Massillon verses Niles in the Akron rubber bowl. Place was packed. People were still Coming in at half time. Massillon came from behind to win 14-8. Snapped a Niles 48 game win streak. And this years state championship game with Hoban.

Last edited:
Best I ever witnessed was Lake Catholic over Desales 2001 State Championship Game at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium.
Lake was down 21-7. They came back in OT to win 27-21. Not one player on Lake's team played Div 1 college football. Total team effort.
A team of overachievers.