• Princeton (8-6)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middletown (9-13)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lakota West (16-9)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A couple interesting results: I saw Princeton led 42-28 at the end of 3 and lost 47-46. What happened?

Also saw that Lakota East out-rebounded Colerain 40-12. Lack of effort was something that I noticed when Colerain played Sycamore, and it appears to be continuing to happen. If I’m Colerain’s AD, I don’t care that Colerain has no talent. I would care if they play hard, and they’re clearly not. Their coach can’t possibly get another season.
Their coach took a team to the state final 4 a few years ago.

Their coach took a team to the state final 4 a few years ago.
And the previous coach was also highly successful at a smaller private school, taking two teams to regional finals in 5 seasons. He won 3 games in two seasons. Not that there is a high bar, but Colerain is still somehow going backwards this season. They don’t even play hard.

And the previous coach was also highly successful at a smaller private school, taking two teams to regional finals in 5 seasons. He won 3 games in two seasons. Not that there is a high bar, but Colerain is still somehow going backwards this season. They don’t even play hard.
Yeah the previous coach was gifted a program that was loaded at summit. And he was a horrible fit at Colerain. Colerain isn’t getting rid of Kerr after one year. If they do they aren’t getting anyone decent to come coach there. NWLSD needs to combine Colerain and Northwest into one high school anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think the NWLSD administration is smart enough to know that.
Combining the two schools would give them a single high school of 2,767 students, albeit with a still falling enrollment. That would put them slightly higher than Hamilton or either Lakota, but still about 800 students behind Mason for 2nd in the league in size. Side note, I didn't realize how much Oak Hills' and Fairfield's enrollments have fallen. I remember when Oak Hills was a top 5 biggest school in the state and now they only have 2,256 students. Fairfield also used to be over 3,000 and is now at 2,235.

Yeah the previous coach was gifted a program that was loaded at summit. And he was a horrible fit at Colerain. Colerain isn’t getting rid of Kerr after one year. If they do they aren’t getting anyone decent to come coach there. NWLSD needed to combing Colerain and Northwest into one high school anyway.
I get that they're not going to get rid of him after 1 year. He will get at least 3. I saw them rarely get back on defense against Sycamore and now they just got out-rebounded 40-12 by a team that doesn't really have any size. If that level of effort continues, they will remain a 2-win max team for the next 3 seasons.

Some coaches also have no idea how to coach teams with poor talent. Colerain is pressing all game and running a run-and-gun offense. That is the exact opposite of what you do when you have the less talented team. They should keep it real simple on both offense and defense. Over half of their practice should be dedicated to practicing half court man-to-man defense, working on staying in front of their man and on help-side rotations. Then, they should split the rest of their practice between working on boxing out and running a simple offense (Larry Allen's triangle or Greg Richards' flex are my two favorites). Get better at all of those things and then play at a slow tempo, which increase the chance for an upset.

I get that they're not going to get rid of him after 1 year. He will get at least 3. I saw them rarely get back on defense against Sycamore and now they just got out-rebounded 40-12 by a team that doesn't really have any size. If that level of effort continues, they will remain a 2-win max team for the next 3 seasons.

Some coaches also have no idea how to coach teams with poor talent. Colerain is pressing all game and running a run-and-gun offense. That is the exact opposite of what you do when you have the less talented team. They should keep it real simple on both offense and defense. Over half of their practice should be dedicated to practicing half court man-to-man defense, working on staying in front of their man and on help-side rotations. Then, they should split the rest of their practice between working on boxing out and running a simple offense (Larry Allen's triangle or Greg Richards' flex are my two favorites). Get better at all of those things and then play at a slow tempo, which increase the chance for an upset.
yeah if you dont have talent you need to take the air out of the ball. playing up tempo with no talent is how you get blown out...in football, basketball, or any other back and forth sport. scheme should fit the players in high school and not the other way around.

Butler County did not disappoint last night! Two 4th qtr. comebacks for the Middies and the Big Blue. The GMC is better when these two schools are relevant. They are clearly mid pack in the league.

This Friday's line-up:
East 78 Colerain 32 Hang in there Cards, Covid ends in 2024.
Fairfield 78 OH 42 Biggest surprise of the night is if 50/50 Drawing exceeds $100.
Sycamore 78 Mason 52 Will the Comets try to control tempo and keep it slow? That's their only chance, but the Aves are too good.
West 68 Middletown 60 Butler County hosts the best games of the night. The Middies are the better defensive team and the Birds are better of offense and in the end will have more offense.
Princeton 65 Hamilton 58 The Blue with a decent win at Mason but they don't have enough for the Vikings.
After the Tuesday match ups this is a ho hummer Friday night.
East with no surprise in margin. What comes 1st, Cards win a GMC game or Covid ends?
Fairfield ends this one shortly after tip. Anyone know what the 50/50 was?
Mason did slow it and keep it close for awhile. I'm on the Aviators bandwagon. If Mason is in the ECC they win 12-14 games.
The Middies explode for 26 in the 4th! Middie Magic coming back?
What happened to the Vikings in the 4th qtr.?? Also, anyone attend this? Appears Hamilton controlled the tempo?

East with no surprise in margin. What comes 1st, Cards win a GMC game or Covid ends?
Mason did slow it and keep it close for awhile. I'm on the Aviators bandwagon. If Mason is in the ECC they win 12-14 games.
What happened to the Vikings in the 4th qtr.?? Also, anyone attend this? Appears Hamilton controlled the tempo?
Princeton tried to play keep away and it back fired. Princeton kept turning the ball over and Hamilton made the comeback. Princeton was down another starter in Isaiah Meyers. I still think Princeton is the 4th best team in the GMC when fully healthy

Let’s go Middie Magic.

Power Rankings:
Fairfield-at East on Tuesday. They have the guard play to handle the pressure.
Sycamore-trap game with the Vikings
East-just not consistent enough to be 1 or 2 to this point. Would love for them to win Tuesday and have a 3 way tie.
Gap
Princeton-Young and dangerous to opponents and themselves.
Hamilton-Tuesday night the rivalry is on.
Middletown-Magic time in Hamilton Tuesday?
West-they have 2 wins this week in league play
Mason-is the 1st OH game re-scheduled?
Oak Hills-the Lowlanders are energized by their 2-0 win over LaSalle.
Colerain-Spring football starting early.
Lakota West can capture National attention Tuesday night. Dudukovich has already gone for 51 this season. They should have him shoot every 1st shot vs OHills. Obviously, he will outscore them but see if he can get 70? 80? Let's go Birds!

Tuesday Night:
Mason 65 Colerain 41
West 67 Hills 45 Does West go Bevo Francis with Dudukovich?
Hamilton 55 Middletown 52 If you are betting go opposite my pick, I've missed on these teams but might go to this game.
Sycamore 68 Princeton 59 Princeton creates some easy baskets but is no match for the big duo from Sycamore.
Fairfield 78 East 70 Unless one of these teams decides to change look out for a fast high scoring game. I really want the Birds to win and create a 3 way tie but don't think they can score enough.
Going to be a great night with some games coming down to the final buzzer.

Colerain's poor/pathetic play in basketball is nothing new. H.W. was in the White House the last time they had a solid program.

Football obviously pulled most of the athletic talent in the school for over 20 years. That program though seems to be sliding back to average rapidly, though.

On the one hand, it is odd that they have not had one of those transformative players come through the school who could put the team on his back and highly achieve with a cast of role players.

On the other, I think any player who has a promising future avoids residence in the district for obvious reasons.

There should be enough talent in the building to float around .500 most years. But if there is no effort it doesn't matter.

I don't see a combined Colerain/Northwest achieving any higher than what West Clermont has done (sans football maybe) since the merger-and likely not even as well in certain sports. The population of the district will continue to shift away from the past generations who grew up there making keeping up with the new growth communities all the more difficult.

Didn't they win district final in like 13 or 14?
They won a district title in 2010 going to the Columbus Regional and lost to Columbus Northland (who had Jared Sullinger in his senior season), they won a district title in 2013 despite finishing 4-10 in the GMC and lost to Lasalle, and they made it to another District Final game in '05. Also upset a few #1 Cincinnati seeds over the years. Higgins had them playing pretty competitively there for awhile.

Last edited:
Middletown at Hamilton for tonight has been postponed to January 22nd. This is according to Middletowns Sports Facebook site.

Fairfield outscores East 21-10 in the 4th qtr erasing 44-40 deficit to win 61-54. Good road win for the Indians.