Girls Wrestling in Ohio - OHSWCA --> OHSAA

knightflyer150

Wanted to start a thread for all matters girls wrestling in Ohio.

Topics I'd love to avoid (although this is America, so do what you'd like to do): Girls vs. Guys debates on skill, transgender fear-mongering, etc.

Topics I'd love to hear about:
1. Local and statewide growth
2. Thoughts on next year
3. 3x to possible 4xers: Hailey Snyder, Josie Davis, Alain Jackson
4. Incoming 9th graders
5. Good teams, new teams and teams on the rise!

How long before the private schools start their own wrestling programs? Who’s the favorite to win the team title next year?

How long before the private schools start their own wrestling programs? Who’s the favorite to win the team title next year?
There are some privates with teams: Watterson, Desales and Chaminade Julienne have teams and tough girls.

I think Harrison is the favorite to repeat....Briggs (115) and Dearwester (105) are just sophomores, and bonused their way to state titles, plus three more placers back. Really tough!

Here to gather info to pitch to a school hesitant on approving a girls wrestling team.

Does anyone have the HS numbers over the last few years to show the growth for Girls Wrestling. I believe there was a spreadsheet at one point showing all HS Girls wrestling this past year

Also anyone that's made a powerpoint or a pitch for a school drop it below!

My concerns are two fold, getting enough coaches for multiple teams especially in more rural areas. And also the lack of refs, that we already seem to have and adding more teams/events for the girls will stretch this even more. Maybe in a few years once some of these great female wrestlers graduate they can come back and look to coach/ref, but I think for the next 5-10 years it may be a bit tight.

My concerns are two fold, getting enough coaches for multiple teams especially in more rural areas. And also the lack of refs, that we already seem to have and adding more teams/events for the girls will stretch this even more. Maybe in a few years once some of these great female wrestlers graduate they can come back and look to coach/ref, but I think for the next 5-10 years it may be a bit tight.
Yes, we're rural and it's hard enough to get people out here for the paid positions (for all of our sports), then try and beg someone to coach the girls for free until our numbers grow enough we can get the extra stipend. We had 4 coaches this year rotating between 4 teams/schedules with hs boys and girls schedules and ms boys and girls schedules. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed coaching both groups this year, it does get taxing mentally.

Our youth coaches are getting certified to officiate so they can do MS meets, I've tried getting our wrestlers certified, and encouraged all parents to do so as well. Yes we need more, that's some of the officials concerns as well.

Any idea how they will schedule the Girls State/District tournament next year, will it coincide with the Boys tourney or will it be different weekends?

Any idea how they will schedule the Girls State/District tournament next year, will it coincide with the Boys tourney or will it be different weekends?
I would hope/assume different weekends like we're doing currently. Like mentioned above, many programs are still (and mostly like will be for a few more years) being coached by the guys coaches. That's spreading resources a little thin trying to coordinate who's going where between coaches going to the girls district and who's going to the boys district. I may be making it more complicated that I need, but it is a real issue.

I enjoyed coaching our girls and I wouldn't want to short change one group over the other by having to choose.

Here to gather info to pitch to a school hesitant on approving a girls wrestling team.

Does anyone have the HS numbers over the last few years to show the growth for Girls Wrestling. I believe there was a spreadsheet at one point showing all HS Girls wrestling this past year

Also anyone that's made a powerpoint or a pitch for a school drop it below!
I've got a bunch of stuff on this, email me at brian_nicola@olsd.us

Data driven: separating boys and girls practice even a few days a week will lead to huge growth, including within small buildings and teams. It took me a minute to get there in my head, but it is the reality. Think of the culture differences between boys and girls basketball, or other dual-gender sports. The same exists here.

My non-data opinion: schools should view this like when girls soccer added in the late 1980s...no boys coach was expected to shoulder both loads. It's unfair and irrational. If fifty high schools posted a "Head Girls Coach" position, I think they would all find a person.

Growth won't come without building support, I think they need pushed on it.

1. Local and statewide growth
2. Thoughts on next year
3. 3x to possible 4xers: Hailey Snyder, Josie Davis, Alain Jackson
4. Incoming 9th graders
5. Good teams, new teams and teams on the rise!

1. Girls wrestling seems to be growing quickly , and in the SE OHIO it grew really fast this year. In the SE teams that did not have any girls added some to their rosters.
FAC had all teams have girls on their rosters WCH 9 Jackson 1 HIllsboro 1 Chillicothe 1 Miami Trace 1 McClain 1 .
Statewide it seems there were tournaments every weekend so that was awesome. WcH we were able to put together a all girls schedule for the first time. Our girls loved it and even competed in a couple duals.

2. Next year with it being a official I think you will see some more teams pick it up , I will be interested to see how many schools officially recognize it in our area. Our conference sounds like only WCH will have a team the others sound like they will not be recognizing the girls unless they had a large numbers pick up. Some in our conference did not want to recognize the accomplishments of their girls and state placement or even competing. So Im concerned with how much growth we will see in the SE next year even though it is a recognized ohsaa sport. I think many schools in the SE will not recognize teams or will have problems finding coaching, I think that will be a problem for many schools to.
Curious how schools will fund girls wrestling . I know this year we had 4 teams Var, JH, JV and Girls . I have a budget of $2000 for all those teams we had to raise well over $5000 to fund all the teams . We were blessed but others may struggle so that's a concern I feel for the girls sport. Especially if schools decide to take away from the boys wrestling budgets with coaches and funds.

3. The 3xstate champs are good for sure . Not sure how clear there paths are with newcomers , freshman , girls that may move into the same weight class in challenge. I would say around Snyder maybe some girls that she may have trouble with depending on where she wrestles at

4. Washington CH we have some freshman coming in that could help. Leah Marine around 110 , Kaylee scott 126, Brooklyn wade 190. Had very good jh seasons and have been wrestling off season non stop. We are looking for big things from them.

5. Good Teams Harrison is the team to beat I think then you have Olentangy orange and Marysville will be back at the top. Vincent Warren and Jamestown Greenview both surprised me with how good they are . Jamestown returns alot and I would not be surprised to see warren with a full line up and chasing a team title. Lebanon is a team to watch also they had great numbers and did well at the district. Finally Im hoping with our numbers for WCH and our freshman team Coach Gibbs and Snyder will have a team to make top 10 in the state on the girls side.

Could they add the Girls State tournament to the current Boys tourney and treat it as if they added a 4th Division? Not sure how you would handle Sectionals and Districts though.

Could they add the Girls State tournament to the current Boys tourney and treat it as if they added a 4th Division? Not sure how you would handle Sectionals and Districts though.
I think they will add 2-4 mats at the guys state and both will run at the same time. It will increase the attendance and thats what OHSAA wants . It would bring in the big money I think . It would also fill up the schott the excitement I feel would be crazy in there

How do you plan on adding mats to the floor at the Schott? It's a tight floor as it is.
There is enough wiggle room to add at least 3 mats like they ran at girls state. Also if its a chance for OHSAA to bring in money you think they will pass it up?

Went up and watched/coached at the OACs yesterday. Our program had a nice group of girls competing so I headed up. As usual, the boys side was off-the-charts tough, but I was really impressed with the girls side.

I liked what Borofan usually does with OAC boys state. I only a know a few girls high schools (basically b/c they are either with us or surrounding schools). I have some guesses, but please drop their school and I’ll edit the list.

Girls JH - 82​

• 1st Place - Camryn Gresham (Lakota West HS)
  • 2nd Place - Libertie Nigh (Urbana HS)
  • 3rd Place - Laylla Sears (Blanchester HS)
  • 4th Place - Sarah Foley (Delaware Hayes HS)
  • 5th Place - Rilee Jones (Tinora)
  • 6th Place - Marina Malicki of BUC2

Girls JH - 90​

• 1st Place - Talea Guntrum (Steubenville)
  • 2nd Place - Paige Cowan of ELP2
  • 3rd Place - Bella Graziani (Tinora)
  • 4th Place - Marilynn Mejeur (Delaware Hayes HS)
  • 5th Place - Taylor Balint (United Local HS)
  • 6th Place - Sophia Metcalf of Unattached

Girls JH - 98​

• 1st Place - Ashlynn Brokaw (Mt. Vernon HS)
  • 2nd Place - Leah Willen (Harrison HS)
  • 3rd Place - Cameron Leng (Marysville HS)
  • 4th Place - Ella Thomas (Poland HS)
  • 5th Place - Emma Shephard (Fairless HS)
  • 6th Place - Avery Gaskalla of CLY2

Girls JH - 106​

• 1st Place - Charley Jones (New Richmond)
  • 2nd Place - Mackenzie Carder (Olentangy Orange HS)
  • 3rd Place - Lillian Hendricks of XGWA
  • 4th Place - Jaiden Long (Fremont Ross HS)
  • 5th Place - Hallie Winslow (Marion Elgin)
  • 6th Place - Leah Marine (Washington CH)

Girls JH - 115​

• 1st Place - Kandice Spry (Tri-Valley)
  • 2nd Place - Auston Brown (United Local HS)
  • 3rd Place - Rylee Dearwester (Harrison HS)
  • 4th Place - Arden Heckman (Westerville North)
  • 5th Place - Kai Gaetjens (Mogadore)
  • 6th Place - Avalyn Stockman of NWT3

Girls JH - 123​

• 1st Place - Kiera Depinet of SEN3
  • 2nd Place - Paige Irey (United Local HS)
  • 3rd Place - Kaylee Scott (Washington CH)
  • 4th Place - Grace Galek of SSW1
  • 5th Place - Lila Nichols (Archbold HS)
  • 6th Place - Ella Hart of Unattached

Girls JH - 132​

• 1st Place - Kelsey King of PROA
  • 2nd Place - Isabella Williams (Olentangy Orange HS)
  • 3rd Place - Anna Madi of BKV1
  • 4th Place - Addison Justice of Unattached
  • 5th Place - Chloe Tompkins (Olentangy Berlin)
  • 6th Place - Sage O`Brien of Unattached

Girls JH - 145​

• 1st Place - Tori Wilson of Unattached
  • 2nd Place - AriAna Foster of BOA1
  • 3rd Place - Evelyn Krauss (Delaware Hayes HS)
  • 4th Place - Katelynn Erme of Unattached
  • 5th Place - Hope Nicola (Big Walnut HS)
  • 6th Place - Layla Patterson of Unattached

Girls JH - 155​

• 1st Place - Cailyn Demagall (Columbia HS)
  • 2nd Place - Naomi Gearheart of ACVA
  • 3rd Place - Kortlynn Smith of Unattached
  • 4th Place - Corinne Bodenhorn of Unattached
  • 5th Place - Evelyn Bowman (Delaware Hayes HS)
  • 6th Place - Aubriana Wilson (Columbia HS)

Girls JH - 175​

• 1st Place - Riley Alborn of TWW3
  • 2nd Place - Mackenzie Shellenbarger (Mogadore HS)
  • 3rd Place - Emily Land (Mentor HS)
  • 4th Place - Isabella Rosian (Columbia HS)

Girls JH - 240​

• 1st Place - Brooklyn Wade (Washington CH)
  • 2nd Place - Mackenzie Phlegar (Columbia HS)

Last edited:
Went up and watched/coached at the OACs yesterday. Our program had a nice group of girls competing so I headed up. As usual, the boys side was off-the-charts tough, but I was really impressed with the girls side.

I liked what Borofan usually does with OAC boys state. I only a know a few girls high schools (basically b/c they are either with us or surrounding schools). I have some guesses, but please drop their school and I’ll edit the list.

Girls JH - 82​

• 1st Place - Camryn Gresham of MIRA
  • 2nd Place - Libertie Nigh (Urbana HS)
  • 3rd Place - Laylla Sears of BLA2
  • 4th Place - Sarah Foley of DEL1
  • 5th Place - Rilee Jones of TIN3
  • 6th Place - Marina Malicki of BUC2

Girls JH - 90​

• 1st Place - Talea Guntrum of Unattached
  • 2nd Place - Paige Cowan of ELP2
  • 3rd Place - Bella Graziani of TIN3
  • 4th Place - Marilynn Mejeur of DEL1
  • 5th Place - Taylor Balint of ULJ1
  • 6th Place - Sophia Metcalf of Unattached

Girls JH - 98​

• 1st Place - Ashlynn Brokaw (Mt. Vernon HS)
  • 2nd Place - Leah Willen of ATAA
  • 3rd Place - Cameron Leng (Marysville HS)
  • 4th Place - Ella Thomas of POLA
  • 5th Place - Emma Shephard of FWC2
  • 6th Place - Avery Gaskalla of CLY2

Girls JH - 106​

• 1st Place - Charley Jones of NRW2
  • 2nd Place - Mackenzie Carder (Olentangy Orange HS)
  • 3rd Place - Lillian Hendricks of XGWA
  • 4th Place - Jaiden Long of FRE1
  • 5th Place - Hallie Winslow of Unattached
  • 6th Place - Leah Marine (Washington CH)

Girls JH - 115​

• 1st Place - Kandice Spry of TVY2
  • 2nd Place - Auston Brown of ULJ1
  • 3rd Place - Rylee Dearwester (Harrison HS)
  • 4th Place - Arden Heckman (Westerville North)
  • 5th Place - Kai Gaetjens (Mogadore)
  • 6th Place - Avalyn Stockman of NWT3

Girls JH - 123​

• 1st Place - Kiera Depinet of SEN3
  • 2nd Place - Paige Irey of ULJ1
  • 3rd Place - Kaylee Scott (Washington CH)
  • 4th Place - Grace Galek of SSW1
  • 5th Place - Lila Nichols of ARC3
  • 6th Place - Ella Hart of Unattached

Girls JH - 132​

• 1st Place - Kelsey King of PROA
  • 2nd Place - Isabella Williams (Olentangy Orange HS)
  • 3rd Place - Anna Madi of BKV1
  • 4th Place - Addison Justice of Unattached
  • 5th Place - Chloe Tompkins (Olentangy Berlin)
  • 6th Place - Sage O`Brien of Unattached

Girls JH - 145​

• 1st Place - Tori Wilson of Unattached
  • 2nd Place - AriAna Foster of BOA1
  • 3rd Place - Evelyn Krauss (Delaware Hayes HS)
  • 4th Place - Katelynn Erme of Unattached
  • 5th Place - Hope Nicola (Big Walnut HS)
  • 6th Place - Layla Patterson of Unattached

Girls JH - 155​

• 1st Place - Cailyn Demagall of RDR3
  • 2nd Place - Naomi Gearheart of ACVA
  • 3rd Place - Kortlynn Smith of Unattached
  • 4th Place - Corinne Bodenhorn of Unattached
  • 5th Place - Evelyn Bowman (Delaware Hayes HS)
  • 6th Place - Aubriana Wilson of RDR3

Girls JH - 175​

• 1st Place - Riley Alborn of TWW3
  • 2nd Place - Mackenzie Shellenbarger of MOG3
  • 3rd Place - Emily Land of MEN1
  • 4th Place - Isabella Rosian of RDR3

Girls JH - 240​

• 1st Place - Brooklyn Wade (Washington CH)
  • 2nd Place - Mackenzie Phlegar of RDR3

Winslow 5th at 106 will be at Elgin

Nice ! She wrestle well?
Her Finals Match against Leah was the best I have ever seen her wrestle in her two years on the mat. First ever medal winner at State Competition OAC or OSHAA at the school and she is spear heading the girls team movement with the school. 106 definitely wasnt an easy weight with a returning champ and 3 other returning placers in it

Her Finals Match against Leah was the best I have ever seen her wrestle in her two years on the mat. First ever medal winner at State Competition OAC or OSHAA at the school and she is spear heading the girls team movement with the school. 106 definitely wasnt an easy weight with a returning champ and 3 other returning placers in it
That's great ! We will have some more open mats this summer we have one June 23rd. It will be a girls open mat for Southern OHio and anyone else who wants to attend 4pm.

There is enough wiggle room to add at least 3 mats like they ran at girls state. Also if its a chance for OHSAA to bring in money you think they will pass it up?
2022-10 mats at schott.png

Wiggle room for 3 more mats? I don't see that.

Now, we were out of the arena Friday night by 8pm. So maybe start at 1 or 2pm and stay later on Friday.
Saturday, start an hour early, shorter break, stay a little later.
Sunday, there is time to fit in a couple more rounds.

Wiggle room for 3 more mats? I don't see that.

Now, we were out of the arena Friday night by 8pm. So maybe start at 1 or 2pm and stay later on Friday.
Saturday, start an hour early, shorter break, stay a little later.
Sunday, there is time to fit in a couple more rounds.
Unless you have been a worker or official working the event, you have no idea what a bad idea that really is. It is harder than you might imagine and adding just a "few" hours and a "couple more rounds" is easy when fans can just come and go as they please. Not so for workers.
I have an idea that I have proposed to some higher ups but I doubt that it has any chance of being accepted.
BTW, there is not any room for two or three more mats.

Unless you have been a worker or official working the event, you have no idea what a bad idea that really is. It is harder than you might imagine and adding just a "few" hours and a "couple more rounds" is easy when fans can just come and go as they please. Not so for workers.
I have an idea that I have proposed to some higher ups but I doubt that it has any chance of being accepted.
BTW, there is not any room for two or three more mats.
No sh#t shurlock on the three mats. That's basically what i said. And added a picture to prove it. You answered the wrong person with that comment.

You are correct that more shifts of workers would be needed. I don't really think it's possible and should just be held at Upper Arlington. Biggest gym in central ohio now. Covelli would be perfect tbh.

It was great at Davidson. Keep it there.

No sh#t shurlock on the three mats. That's basically what i said. And added a picture to prove it. You answered the wrong person with that comment.

You are correct that more shifts of workers would be needed. I don't really think it's possible and should just be held at Upper Arlington. Biggest gym in central ohio now. Covelli would be perfect tbh.

In case you didn't read it correctly, I was agreeing with you on the mat space. I wasn't answering you with the comment, simply agreeing with what you said. You really need to respond like that?

Just to be clear, I agree with you in not trying to hold it at the same time as the boys event. Too many problems to make it work well..