General NFL Chat

It won't happen, but I've got two way out there ideas the NFL should possibly consider. Currently, the NFL is sliding into an awful offensive sport. The defenses are way ahead of the offenses and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The athleticism in continuing training methods is making defenses better than offense. Also the other NFL epidemic that needs address...QB injuries. There are simply two many backup and 3rd string QB's playing today and that certainly does not help offense. So here we go.

Either add a 12th offensive player or delete a defense. Play the offense with an extra person. The QB really does not count because they have the ball, and in the running game, the QB hands off so it's 11 vs. 9 already and most teams have 7-8-9 in the box. The other option to his would be making the field wider to allow more space for offense. Maybe even extend the end zones like in canadian football.

2nd and not with the other suggestion above is to simply make the QB be down if there is a touch on them in passing situations. I just feel if you have possibly the most important position in all of team sports handed down to 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers, it's awful for the product. The 1PM games in my area today was the Browns/ Cardinals and the Rams / Packers. The Cardinals and Rams were nearly unwatchable on offense. It looked like jr. high football teams trying to run plays. Now the Browns defense is elite so I could give the Cardinals a pass somewhat, but the dude they had backed up Josh Dobbs, who the Cardinals shipped to the Vikings for some unknown reason. He looked like a deer in the headlights and the Browns rolled to an easy win. Mark Rypin's cousin started for the Rams and they are an absolute mess. the Packers defense isn't even that good and the Rams looked awful. I think the NFL has to do everything in their power to keep the starting QB's on the field as much as possible.

It won't happen, but I've got two way out there ideas the NFL should possibly consider. Currently, the NFL is sliding into an awful offensive sport. The defenses are way ahead of the offenses and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The athleticism in continuing training methods is making defenses better than offense. Also the other NFL epidemic that needs address...QB injuries. There are simply two many backup and 3rd string QB's playing today and that certainly does not help offense. So here we go.

Either add a 12th offensive player or delete a defense. Play the offense with an extra person. The QB really does not count because they have the ball, and in the running game, the QB hands off so it's 11 vs. 9 already and most teams have 7-8-9 in the box. The other option to his would be making the field wider to allow more space for offense. Maybe even extend the end zones like in canadian football.

2nd and not with the other suggestion above is to simply make the QB be down if there is a touch on them in passing situations. I just feel if you have possibly the most important position in all of team sports handed down to 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers, it's awful for the product. The 1PM games in my area today was the Browns/ Cardinals and the Rams / Packers. The Cardinals and Rams were nearly unwatchable on offense. It looked like jr. high football teams trying to run plays. Now the Browns defense is elite so I could give the Cardinals a pass somewhat, but the dude they had backed up Josh Dobbs, who the Cardinals shipped to the Vikings for some unknown reason. He looked like a deer in the headlights and the Browns rolled to an easy win. Mark Rypin's cousin started for the Rams and they are an absolute mess. the Packers defense isn't even that good and the Rams looked awful. I think the NFL has to do everything in their power to keep the starting QB's on the field as much as possible.
Arguably your worst post and that’s saying A LOT.

1979 the Stealers led the league in scoring avg. 26 pts. per game. The Eagles are currently avg. 28 pts. per game and overall, I would say there more pts. being scored in the NFL than 20 years ago. Maybe you should follow a different team than the offensive challenged Titans.
Edit: NFL teams have to quit recruiting so many running QB's that are on the small side: Murray, Tua, etc. Brady instead of breaking a tackle just went down, Josh Allen is a big guy but just a matter of time before he goes down with an injury as much he runs with the football.

Last edited:
Biggest problem with QB play (in the NFL) is in college too many teams recruit duo threat QB's, In the NFL a QB still needs to be able read a defense, in college these duo threat QB's relied on their feet too much instead of sitting in the pocket going through their progressions. Well in the NFL that does not make for a long career. CJ Stroud will outlast most of his counterparts because he learned in college how to be a pocket passer and not rely on his feet.

You are the guy who hates all rule changes in baseball, and you want to change the NFL to a touch football league for the QB? Or play with an extra man? Ridiculous. The rules already favor the offense, and scoring is high enough, certainly higher than it was "back in the day".

You are the guy who hates all rule changes in baseball, and you want to change the NFL to a touch football league for the QB? Or play with an extra man? Ridiculous. The rules already favor the offense, and scoring is high enough, certainly higher than it was "back in the day".
Apples and oranges my friend. The NFL is only behind the NBA in making the game more "watchable". Baseball has over 100 year history of the way the game was played, and baseball is so statistically driven that future comparisons of baseball players is really difficult. That was thrown away years ago with football. In 10 of the 13 games this weekend in the NFL, one of the teams scored less than 18 or less points, one shutout, two teams had 3, one team 6. Busy day for punters this week.

1979 the Stealers led the league in scoring avg. 26 pts. per game. The Eagles are currently avg. 28 pts. per game and overall, I would say there more pts. being scored in the NFL than 20 years ago. Maybe you should follow a different team than the offensive challenged Titans.
Edit: NFL teams have to quit recruiting so many running QB's that are on the small side: Murray, Tua, etc. Brady instead of breaking a tackle just went down, Josh Allen is a big guy but just a matter of time before he goes down with an injury as much he runs with the football.
No doubt the Titans are offensively challenged. But I'm talking about the league in general. And yes, I also believe the QB's are put way too high on the pedestal of being saviors, I think many NFL teams are run by guys who are not as interested winning, but being "exciting" and having hope. These young QB's are not ready to play, but are being thrown in to the mix and defenses are dominating football.

That's a terrible idea. Just truly awful. The NFL would become Arena League football.
Like I said, it won't happen, but I just wanted to throw out some ideas for a more exciting game. NFL defensive players are still good enough that I don't think it would become arena football.

I'll say this now so we can look back and laugh at me (again) but don't be shocked if KC gets knocked from the playoffs early. They are in a bad habit of coasting through games and when you do that enough times, someone's bound to jump up and get you. You control Kelce and the middle of the field, make Mahomes throw outside the numbers and you have a shot at them. Kelce had 3 catches for 14 yards yesterday, only 4 targets. Chiefs had a scoop and score on defense to get them 21 points yesterday. You hold them to that, and you have to find a way to win.

I'll say this now so we can look back and laugh at me (again) but don't be shocked if KC gets knocked from the playoffs early. They are in a bad habit of coasting through games and when you do that enough times, someone's bound to jump up and get you. You control Kelce and the middle of the field, make Mahomes throw outside the numbers and you have a shot at them. Kelce had 3 catches for 14 yards yesterday, only 4 targets. Chiefs had a scoop and score on defense to get them 21 points yesterday. You hold them to that, and you have to find a way to win.
They are in a worse habit of not being able to afford to hold on to some of their better players, or have the high quality depth they used to have, due to having to pay Mahomes. Happened to the Ravens with Flacco and will happen again with Jackson. Happened to Seattle with Wilson. Happened to the Vikings with Cousins. Happened to the Saints with Brees. Happened to the Packers with Rodgers. It will happen to the Bengals with Burrow and the Browns with Watson. When you sign that QB to the mega contract you eventually lose the roster depth you once enjoyed.

They are in a worse habit of not being able to afford to hold on to some of their better players, or have the high quality depth they used to have, due to having to pay Mahomes. Happened to the Ravens with Flacco and will happen again with Jackson. Happened to Seattle with Wilson. Happened to the Vikings with Cousins. Happened to the Saints with Brees. Happened to the Packers with Rodgers. It will happen to the Bengals with Burrow and the Browns with Watson. When you sign that QB to the mega contract you eventually lose the roster depth you once enjoyed.
Well, the others may not have worked out as well, but for KC, if #15 isn't behind center, they are a .500 or worse team. He means that much to them. I'm sure the Packers felt Rodgers was worth every penny and they'd love to bring him back. They are in QB purgatory for now. But I don't fee bad for a franchise who had two franchise QB's covering what 30 years? We see these teams who play QB roulette for seemingly 20 years and never win.

Well, the others may not have worked out as well, but for KC, if #15 isn't behind center, they are a .500 or worse team. He means that much to them. I'm sure the Packers felt Rodgers was worth every penny and they'd love to bring him back. They are in QB purgatory for now. But I don't fee bad for a franchise who had two franchise QB's covering what 30 years? We see these teams who play QB roulette for seemingly 20 years and never win.
For the teams that get a Lombardi Trophy or two out of it, everything is great. For those who don’t, frustration can ensue.

Biggest problem with QB play (in the NFL) is in college too many teams recruit duo threat QB's, In the NFL a QB still needs to be able read a defense, in college these duo threat QB's relied on their feet too much instead of sitting in the pocket going through their progressions. Well in the NFL that does not make for a long career. CJ Stroud will outlast most of his counterparts because he learned in college how to be a pocket passer and not rely on his feet.
That and most college QBs aren't learning how to read a defense and check from one play to another because their coach is literally signaling it all to them from the sidelines.

Impressive day for CJ Stroud. Broke the NFL record for rookie passing yards in a game and led a beautiful drive for the win in the last minute to beat Baker who had his own impressive drive.

The Texans are the Utah Jazz of the NFL.
When basketball players are throwing in shots from everywhere, it's said they are "in the zone". It looked like Stroud was "in the zone" on those last few drives. Those last two throws were on point, looked like the Buc Db's were frozen in time.

That and most college QBs aren't learning how to read a defense and check from one play to another because their coach is literally signaling it all to them from the sidelines.
The main difference and it's the same from high school to college. The defenses get better and the windows are smaller. It's like anything else, the higher you go up the players get better. College guys can get away with missing a throw here or there and in the throws it's a pick 6, and with bigger, stronger, faster guys chasing you.

When basketball players are throwing in shots from everywhere, it's said they are "in the zone". It looked like Stroud was "in the zone" on those last few drives. Those last two throws were on point, looked like the Buc Db's were frozen in time.

Not being able to afford all these streaming services, I'm kind of left with ESPN3's free offering, which use spidercams behind the line. Opened up the game to me. All those "wide open" players being missed by the QBs shown on the overhead shots became very narrow slivers that were opening and closing as linemen, defenders and potential receivers moved about. Watching the game went from electronic football game with the seven year old to Monaco Grand Prix dash cam.

Thursday night football is the Panthers and Bears. Combined 3-14. Poor Al Michaels is going to lose his mind. For my money, he's the best play by play guy ever, and he's stuck doing terrible games on a streaming service on Thursday.

Thursday night football is the Panthers and Bears. Combined 3-14. Poor Al Michaels is going to lose his mind. For my money, he's the best play by play guy ever, and he's stuck doing terrible games on a streaming service on Thursday.

Yes this week’s Carolina-Chicago game is terrible but there has been some good Thursday Night games this year: NO-Jags, Eagles-Min, Titans-Steelers.

I’m not going to feel too sorry for Al Michales. Michaels makes $1 million for calling each Thursday Night Football, he made more than SF qb Brock Purdy’s 2023 salary in just a single night. Michaels signed a three-year deal last year with Amazon for $45 to $48 million.

Not being able to afford all these streaming services, I'm kind of left with ESPN3's free offering, which use spidercams behind the line. Opened up the game to me. All those "wide open" players being missed by the QBs shown on the overhead shots became very narrow slivers that were opening and closing as linemen, defenders and potential receivers moved about. Watching the game went from electronic football game with the seven year old to Monaco Grand Prix dash cam.
Somewhat related, I often wonder why a defender chasing his opponent - seemingly in the hip pocket - doesn't just tackle rather than chasing halfway down the field. Blows my mind - until a different angle shows the defender is not nearly as close as it first appeared. Light comes on...

Congratulations.

I thought all the worst ideas on yappi were in the debate forum but your proved us wrong.

Lord that's horrible.