GCL Co-Ed 2020-21

chwestbroo

Basketball season right around the corner. Talent looks to be rather balanced this year. Thoughts and predictions?

I think Alter will be the team to beat in the league - Connor will be the best player in the league to go with Shane, Geisel, Ruffalo plus the transfer from Bellbrook. Carroll returns pretty much everyone except Dahm. CJ will need Solomon to stay healthy. Fenwick has Braun back but will need some guards to step up. Badin lost a lot from last season but Larkin is a good player to build around. McNicholas lost a lot with Brunot and Kocisko gone, but have a pretty good Junior class. Roger Bacon brings back pretty much their whole team so they will surprise some teams I think. Purcell Marian has their two good guards back but not much else.

Fenwick will have the upper hand in the league but don't sleep on Mcnick. They will have excellent guard play and experience coming back. Roger Bacon was much better than their record last year as well. First couple of weeks could tell a lot in this league. Should be very competitive.

Alter should be ready to go this year placing 4 starters and a great senior class. Everyone knows about the best player in the GCL Jacob Connor. They also have Shane Geisel Ruffolo Kolb Bernecker and the most slept on AJ Leen. Also new additions to the school this year. SWBl player of the year last season Ryan Chew. And from Missouri a junior Rudy who played varsity ball last year in his hometown. Daniel Swag Man Morrison has had these youngins in the weight room lifting. This team could shock a lot of people

Alter should be ready to go this year placing 4 starters and a great senior class. Everyone knows about the best player in the GCL Jacob Connor. They also have Shane Geisel Ruffolo Kolb Bernecker and the most slept on AJ Leen. Also new additions to the school this year. SWBl player of the year last season Ryan Chew. And from Missouri a junior Rudy who played varsity ball last year in his hometown. Daniel Swag Man Morrison has had these youngins in the weight room lifting. This team could shock a lot of people
I agree, with a stacked Senior class this year I could see this Knights team going places.

Fenwick team is quarantined until November 23rd. And the school is out until December 9th. No clue how this will effect the start of the season for them.

Fenwick team is quarantined until November 23rd. And the school is out until December 9th. No clue how this will effect the start of the season for them.

Reffing buddy I know had a couple of scrimmages hat included Fenwick get canceled. No practices for two weeks and maybe one scrimmage before the season starts could lead to a slow start.

I think Badin will be pretty average this year. We lost a lot of really good seniors and the players returning have talent just didn't play big roles last year. I am interested to see if we can make a run this year (assuming we are still playing by the time the playoffs come).

I think Badin will be pretty average this year. We lost a lot of really good seniors and the players returning have talent just didn't play big roles last year. I am interested to see if we can make a run this year (assuming we are still playing by the time the playoffs come).

1st round loss last year was a major disappointment for a team that had the potential to make it to district/regionals.

I wouldn't be surprised if they get knocked out first round again, I am mostly excited to see how Alter does this year. Lots of talent just not a lot of height, their tallest guy is a 6'7"guard. Not many big men.

I see alter sweeping the league with strong play from seniors

One more time, who are these seniors? As juniors I don’t remember anyone but Shane ever getting off the bench. I know Connor should be really good, but after him, I see a lot of inexperience. Last year’s freshmen who played JV are a good group. I would expect those kids to get most of the open playing time.

One more time, who are these seniors? As juniors I don’t remember anyone but Shane ever getting off the bench. I know Connor should be really good, but after him, I see a lot of inexperience. Last year’s freshmen who played JV are a good group. I would expect those kids to get most of the open playing time.
Brian Shane had a huge offseason as well as Josh "Slenderman" Slocumb who was a starter on JV last year. He made a lot of strides this offseason by getting in the weight room frequently and vastly improving his ball-handling.

Coulter did a good job of getting some kids that used to play back into the sport. I know that Nolan Meyer, Pat Conner, Brandon Mcdonald, and Jackson Armstrong are all playing this year.

That’s good, but I doubt if they help. Basketball is a sport that you have to stay on top of. You just don’t walk out and play. We’ll see.

Oh my fault, that's just what I heard. I know he put up good numbers a nightly basis
As a SWBL guy he’s a good player, but far from a player of the year in the SWBL, he finished 8th in scoring and 24th in assists doesn’t get many rebounds, and for as good as a three point shooter he is he only shot 68% from the free throw line. Again nice player but not sure how much he moves the needle for Alter, also only 5”9.

As a SWBL guy he’s a good player, but far from a player of the year in the SWBL, he finished 8th in scoring and 24th in assists doesn’t get many rebounds, and for as good as a three point shooter he is he only shot 68% from the free throw line. Again nice player but not sure how much he moves the needle for Alter, also only 5”9.
I see chew transitioning well from SWBL to GCL play. He will be a hardnosed, pedal to the metal type of player He reminds me of a young Tyler Herro.

I am a SWBL guy too. Chew is a solid player and his game is more than just stats. I would want him on my team for sure. He will have more playmakers around him this year and I see him helping the team.

I am a SWBL guy too. Chew is a solid player and his game is more than just stats. I would want him on my team for sure. He will have more playmakers around him this year and I see him helping the team.
Not saying I wouldn’t want him on my team, but at that level not sure he puts them over the top, he is a solid player but I got a feeling he’s going to be defended much better in GCL, and you have to admit he’s a little on the small side.

6'9" Fenwick Senior AJ Braun accepted a scholarship to play college ball at Wright State next year.

Congrats to AJ!

Tru Hoopz has a list of players to watch in the GCL Co-Ed. The website is new so I expect some skepticism.

The list goes as follows:

Ryan Chew- 5’9 Guard- Junior- Alter
AJ Braun- 6’9 Center- Senior- Fenwick
Jacob Connor- 6’8 Guard- Junior- Alter
Sam Severt- 6’0 Guard- Senior- Carroll
Logan Broaddus- 5’9 Guard- Junior- Carroll
Daniel Nauseef- 6’7 Forward- Senior- CJ
Jonathan Powell- 6’3 Guard- Freshman- CJ

I must say, I am very excited to see how these Alter young guys preform. They've got a lot of sophomores that will be in the starting line up and that will be coming off the bench such as Ruffolo, Geisel and Leen. This team is going to shock the world this year.

I must say, I am very excited to see how these Alter young guys preform. They've got a lot of sophomores that will be in the starting line up and that will be coming off the bench such as Ruffolo, Geisel and Leen. This team is going to shock the world this year.
Very insightful Big Foot!

Attachments

• big foot.jpg
    big foot.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 28

You may be right, but there are a lot of question marks. For one, those 10th graders have to be able to play at both ends. Guarding people is the biggest adjustment a young player has to make. They’ll probably play a lot of zone, but playing good zone is almost as hard as playing good man. The Connor kid is potentially a really good player, but his game needs a lot of improvement from last year. Last season he barely took a two or shot a free throw, and he was nothing special at the defensive end (age). I would guess he will have to play inside defensively and fouls could be an issue. He’s a great 3 pt shooter, but if he can’t get to the rim there will be people who crowd him and make it tough to get looks. Expectations for him will be much greater. Finally, Shane has some talent but I get the feeling figuring out his role may be an issue. All that being said, I am a fan of all the Dayton Catholic schools and I will be rooting for the Knights. I just think too much may be expected early.

I was under the impression that Alter has always played a matchup zone. It worked for one hundred years for Petro so I just figured Coulter would run the same D.