Game (1) Big Walnut @ Bishop Hartley 8/18/2023

Do not know much about either team except BW returns their star running back and the Ohio state recruit linebacker Stover. Not sure what else they have coming back. I know they also have new Head Coach. Hartley is always predicted to be a contender in the smaller Divisions. It is at Hartley,so I expect a close game.

Key players for Big Walnut (Not sure about others yet)

Nate Severs, A 5-11, 197-pound returning senior, Severs is beginning the final season of a career that has seen him rush for 4,333 yards and score 75 total touchdowns. Also, they have linebacker Stover and their Quarterback are returning.

Key players for Bishop Hartley
Hartley’s defense will be led by two players who were second-team All-Ohio selections in 2022 – 6-1, 285-pound lineman Donovan Davis, who will be attending Davidson next year, and 6-4, 215-pound junior linebacker Denim Cook. Running back Robert Lathon, who has gained notice on some national recruiting sites and already has received offers from Kentucky, Akron, Ball State, Campbell and Liberty. He showed his potential last year with 192 yards against Cleveland Villa Angela-St. Joseph, 173 against New Lexington and 161 against DeSales. At 235 pounds, senior fullback Rory Ralston gives the Hawks an option that will keep defenses from focusing too much on Lathon. Replacing three-year starter Peyton Underwood at quarterback will be sophomore Matt Galich. “Matt got some good experience last year as a backup and, like Peyton, could start for three years,” Burchfield said.

Lathon has the potential to be the highest-profile RB recruit to come through Central Ohio since Le’Veon, when it’s all said and done.

Hoping this game doesn’t turn out like last year for hartley. I think hartley has a much better team but i’m not sure if it is going to be enough to beat big walnut.

Hawks football is about grinding down defenses with power running game. This requires a tight offensive line that operates as a single unit. I've never seen the line gel before week 3. Probably the wrong week in the schedule for this opponent. Last years 7 points was against the Nut JV. I expect a better showing to start this season. Last year's team was pretty green. It's doubtful that Crager can instill Stallion discipline in Sunbury. Like Coffman, too many yuppies. But he has some good talent. Golden Eagles should win handily by two+ scores if Severs gets 200 yds.

Great game. Absolutely vintage Hawks. Start off with 4 penalties and a muffed punt resulting in safety and then tough physical play the rest of the game. This is huge.