Gabe Cupps Vs Moeller

Did you literally LOL, or were you exaggerating? My "totally agree" was for the first part of what tcgobucks said about it being a disappointment if Moeller didn't win state, not the part about lacking an offense.

Kremer relinquished some of his control over the offense during Jaxson Hayes's senior season. This held true the last couple of years too. He let them play without forcing the methodical offense from previous years. This year went back to the old style. I truly believe this was due to Kremer's lack of trust in their point guard to make good decisions.

Moeller is 132-10 over the last 142, with back to back titles and a 3 peat that was taken from them. Yet they can't find any offense once they get late in the tourney. Wow

Give some credit to the Centerville defense. I hear ya about Moeller offense but Elks defense is solid every year and very good this year. Kremer is a little like the old saying....Whose the only guy that can hold Jordan under 20 point a game......Dean Smith!

Last three games for Centerville:
Mason. Held to season low 42 in district champ game. Leading scorer in GMC held to 11 points. Ten below his season average.
Elder. Held to season low in a lost game. 43. In regional semi. Elder leading scorer on season held to 9.
Moeller. Held to season low 38 in regional final.

On another note, the color commentary announcer, Scott Mueller, made an interesting statement. He essentially said Moeller's players from all over Cincinnati and Centerville's come from all over Dayton. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of Centerville getting move-ins for the basketball program. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I believe the players on the current roster are all from the community. Also, imagine if Kebba Njie hadn't left Centerville for La Lumiere in Indiana. He's a top 200 recruit in the class of 2022 on 247Sports. He has an offer from Dayton.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Centerville's roster is the perfect fit for Cupps' system. It is basically the D1 version of his Graham team that made it to the Final Four. Long, highly skilled guards and wings that can shoot the 3 and get to the basket without a true center clogging up the paint. I know Njie is getting Division 1 offers, but I think they are just fine without him.

I believe it’s three threads now that you have posted this in. We got it.

Kremer's two favorite things seem to be over managing the game offensively and looking befuddled and baffled anytime Moeller gets an unfavorable call.

In this game, Kremer didn't manage to get enough out of his size/strength advantage in the paint with Duncomb and Williams.

Did you literally LOL, or were you exaggerating? My "totally agree" was for the first part of what tcgobucks said about it being a disappointment if Moeller didn't win state, not the part about lacking an offense.

Kremer relinquished some of his control over the offense during Jaxson Hayes's senior season. This held true the last couple of years too. He let them play without forcing the methodical offense from previous years. This year went back to the old style. I truly believe this was due to Kremer's lack of trust in their point guard to make good decisions.
Lol.....Kremer's lack of trust in their point guard to make good decisions.....totally understand and agree with that....picking which D1 college recruit to pass it to has to be unbelievably challenging!!!

Lol.....Kremer's lack of trust in their point guard to make good decisions.....totally understand and agree with that....picking which D1 college recruit to pass it to has to be unbelievably challenging!!!
There is a heck of a lot more to being a point guard than just passing the ball. The nuances of playing the position are probably over your head, so I'll just leave it at that.

Really thought they would have used Mahaffey as their PG this year.

I don’t understand why Moeller goes out and gets all of this talent and then plays such a scripted, boring style.

I really like watching Centerville play. They did try to slow some things down themselves today, but they play with no fear and swagger. It’s obvious the players are in control on the court vs the coach.

Also agree that Cupps may be the better coach.
Cupps out-coached Kremer. Moe would have won if Duncomb had stayed in the paint vs setting picks at the 3pt line.

I wasn’t able to see either game. What was the big difference in the playoff game and the regular season game that I believe Moeller won by more than 10? Like others have said repeatedly, I was pretty surprised to see Moe only score 38. Were they just off? I know Centerville has been playing good defense, but that is a low number considering the players they have out there. It sounds like Kremer reigned things in. Good luck to Centerville at state.

I wasn’t able to see either game. What was the big difference in the playoff game and the regular season game that I believe Moeller won by more than 10? Like others have said repeatedly, I was pretty surprised to see Moe only score 38. Were they just off? I know Centerville has been playing good defense, but that is a low number considering the players they have out there. It sounds like Kremer reigned things in. Good luck to Centerville at state.

49 points between Duncomb and Williams in the first game, only 30 combined between the two I believe in the second game.

Centerville has been playing very well defensively in the tournament and that played a part in this game, but Moeller didn't do a good enough job of hammering the ball into the paint to those two.

There is a heck of a lot more to being a point guard than just passing the ball. The nuances of playing the position are probably over your head, so I'll just leave it at that.
For real dude....my comment was really just meant light hearted at the earlier statement made about Kremer not trusting his point guard to make smart decisions.....but im gonna play along.... so here goes....you going with just probably over my head?....you had my head swimming as soon as you used "nuances of playing the position".....maybe you could fill me in on some of these "nuances" that a D2 college PG recruit playing alongside 4 D1 college recruits might struggle with thus forcing his coach to have to micromanage their offense playing a high school basketball season against mostly nowhere near the quantity of "next level talent" they have?....appreciate the help.

Kremer's two favorite things seem to be over managing the game offensively and looking befuddled and baffled anytime Moeller gets an unfavorable call.

In this game, Kremer didn't manage to get enough out of his size/strength advantage in the paint with Duncomb and Williams.

Do you guys remember college basketball before the shot clock? The ACC was considered the best league in the country and had great coaches and players. For those of you as old as I am, you might remember that the ACC had turned into a grind it out league with a lot of low scoring games. The coaches preferred to hang on to the ball and play a slower style because it worked. The shot clock ended that style of play in college, but a lot of very smart coaches were playing the way the GCL South plays. That style has worked really well for Moeller and the rest of the South. It’s sound, smart winning basketball, and their success against non GCL teams is without question. This is not an argument for a shot clock, just a statement of fact about basketball. Controlling tempo wins, especially when you add it to the physical defensive style of the South.

Cupps isn't even the best sophomore in the GWOC, that Rice kid from Wayne is. If Cupps did not play with Lebron's kid for a couple of years, he would not have this national hype.

Do you guys remember college basketball before the shot clock? The ACC was considered the best league in the country and had great coaches and players. For those of you as old as I am, you might remember that the ACC had turned into a grind it out league with a lot of low scoring games. The coaches preferred to hang on to the ball and play a slower style because it worked. The shot clock ended that style of play in college, but a lot of very smart coaches were playing the way the GCL South plays. That style has worked really well for Moeller and the rest of the South. It’s sound, smart winning basketball, and their success against non GCL teams is without question. This is not an argument for a shot clock, just a statement of fact about basketball. Controlling tempo wins, especially when you add it to the physical defensive style of the South.

College basketball without the shot clock predates my days, but I am well aware of grind it out strategies such as Dean Smith's four corners offense that were both disciplined and highly effective.

I would probably argue that over the last 4-5 years Moeller has had too much talent for the slowed down methodical pace that Kremer and the rest of the GCL South usually prefer to go at. Saturday was one of the rare occasions where it bit them. Slowing it down can both be smart and disciplined basketball, while at the same time limiting possessions can allow lesser talented teams to hang around with a few good breaks. More pace and possessions increases the odds of the more talented team prevailing.

Centerville is a very good team that certainly has talented players, but Moeller had more collective talent along with a huge advantage in the paint. Kremer got outmaneuvered by Cupps in this one.

College basketball without the shot clock predates my days, but I am well aware of grind it out strategies such as Dean Smith's four corners offense that were both disciplined and highly effective.

I would probably argue that over the last 4-5 years Moeller has had too much talent for the slowed down methodical pace that Kremer and the rest of the GCL South usually prefer to go at. Saturday was one of the rare occasions where it bit them. Slowing it down can both be smart and disciplined basketball, while at the same time limiting possessions can allow lesser talented teams to hang around with a few good breaks. More pace and possessions increases the odds of the more talented team prevailing.

Centerville is a very good team that certainly has talented players, but Moeller had more collective talent along with a huge advantage in the paint. Kremer got outmaneuvered by Cupps in this one.
I think that part of their actual strategy was to just wait for CVILLE to get tired or just fold.

Wait til next year if Moeller doesn't get any transfers in they'll be playing every game in the low 30s.

Maybe Big Moe should consider a coaching change?

Are you sure there's national hype just because anew poster on Yappi says so?

The kid has a national following 325,000 followers on Instagram alone. Subject of a Youtube series. The top ranked high school bball player in the nation has 100k less followers. I'd say he is kind of a big deal outside the Dayton area as well.

The kid has a national following 325,000 followers on Instagram alone. Subject of a Youtube series. The top ranked high school bball player in the nation has 100k less followers. I'd say he is kind of a big deal outside the Dayton area as well.
Well if Instagram is the yardstick, then I guess he is the winner. Just that the new poster is a joker. Thanks for the numbers.