Future of the SWBL

And their enrollment is dropping too. And here's the thing with that. If they cut soccer, those kids will go to Fairlawn, Botkins, or Houston. If they cut football, those kids (If they haven't been already) will go to Fort Loramie or Anna. The thing is with how good the public schools are in Shelby County, is Lehman really necessary anymore? I'm thinking no.
If they are serious soccer players the only school they would maybe go to is botkins. With the exception of last season they are usually slightly above average. Houston is looking to start a HS team. They will probably be coed like fairlawn.

Football, those would be the best options.

Lehman gets a good amount of kids from Miami county too. Which opens up more options for the families if they cut one sport or the other.

As far as schools go, the smaller schools in Shelby county are pretty good. Sidney? A lot families send to Lehman for the Catholic aspect.

2 things I see happening.
1. Sidney Lehman closing its doors
2. Riverside jumping to the OHC if they receive an offer.

Brookville will be in this league if 1 of the 2 happens.

As for your other 3 candidates:

Arcanum- They were one of the instigators of forming the WOAC so I 100% doubt that they'll leave it for harder competition unless Franklin-Monroe consolidates with Arcanum.

Greenon- Does make sense but to me the OHC makes more sense.

Springfield Northwestern- Possible. Wouldn't rule it out
Arcanum- not in the near future but if they grow out of the WOAC competitively a decade down the road.. then yes.

Brookville- just makes too much sense. this should happen on the next 5-7 years

Greenon- i think they’re OKAY in the OHC. but playing 4 D7 teams a year does nothing for them right now. the TRC is where they need to be competitively and demographically. they’re OKAY for now. but with the new school coming in i think Greenon is a D4 team in a decade. Cedarville and Catholic Central won’t be having it.

Northwestern- i have a feeling they’re getting unhappy in the Mad River division of the CBC. yearly trips to North Union, Ben Logan, and Indian Lake. keep and eye on the situation. this isn’t that far fetched.

what i could see happening- Brookville leaves the SWBL. joins the TRC if/when Lehman leaves or closes down

now a few more years down the road.. Northwestern, Riverside, and West Liberty Salem all shuffle. Riverside to the OHC North, West Liberty to the CBC Mad River, and Northwestern to the TRC.

TRC would look like- Brookville, Milton, Covington, Bethel, Northridge, Miami East, Troy Christian, Northwestern.

other scenario, Riverside to the OHC North, bump Northeastern to the OHC south, Greenon to the TRC.

Arcanum- not in the near future but if they grow out of the WOAC competitively a decade down the road.. then yes.

Brookville- just makes too much sense. this should happen on the next 5-7 years

Greenon- i think they’re OKAY in the OHC. but playing 4 D7 teams a year does nothing for them right now. the TRC is where they need to be competitively and demographically. they’re OKAY for now. but with the new school coming in i think Greenon is a D4 team in a decade. Cedarville and Catholic Central won’t be having it.

Northwestern- i have a feeling they’re getting unhappy in the Mad River division of the CBC. yearly trips to North Union, Ben Logan, and Indian Lake. keep and eye on the situation. this isn’t that far fetched.

what i could see happening- Brookville leaves the SWBL. joins the TRC if/when Lehman leaves or closes down

now a few more years down the road.. Northwestern, Riverside, and West Liberty Salem all shuffle. Riverside to the OHC North, West Liberty to the CBC Mad River, and Northwestern to the TRC.

TRC would look like- Brookville, Milton, Covington, Bethel, Northridge, Miami East, Troy Christian, Northwestern.

other scenario, Riverside to the OHC North, bump Northeastern to the OHC south, Greenon to the TRC.
West Liberty wont separate from Mechanicsburg and Triad

My point to them being spread out is Bethel and Northridge is a far drive to lcc and riverside. I feel brookville will be a good fit in the trc as long as riverside and lcc are dropped. Throw in vv Eaton FL and now you have a very solid conference that would be up with the MAC. Not as good but up there.

My point to them being spread out is Bethel and Northridge is a far drive to lcc and riverside. I feel brookville will be a good fit in the trc as long as riverside and lcc are dropped. Throw in vv Eaton FL and now you have a very solid conference that would be up with the MAC. Not as good but up there.
Lehman is 35 minutes from both bethel and Northridge. And if it's football, it's a few minutes less as the stadium is a couple exits earlier on 75.

The drive to Eaton, vv, and fl would be longer for bethel than going to Lehman. And from Northridge Eaton and fl would be longer drives.

You would make it more spread out not less. In fact, depending on what route the bus driver would take, you would pass Lehman to get to fl.

Riverside is the outlier.

If you're looking to make the conference stronger in football, yes. It would be. But not MAC level.

West Liberty wont separate from Mechanicsburg and Triad
unlikely for sure but not impossible. it’s happened. there’s a scenario where they could keep both schools on the schedule in most, of not all sports.

the CBC Mad River just makes more sense for West Liberty

I believe FL was discussed when the TRC formed but they only wanted in as football only. They are not interested for all sports. The only conference they are leaving the SCL for is the MAC.

I think Eaton/VV could be potential options but I think those 2 schools are likely to stay in whatever the remains of the SWBL is. For Eaton/VV I think it can work for them either way in the SWBL if you add schools like Talawanda/Ross/Edgewood or if you add CM/Wilmington. For example I just looked at basketball schedules and VV already plays Edgewood, Talawanda and CM. In football VV has Wilmington on the regular season schedule as well.

Congrats to VV, I'm glad the levy finally passed. You guys needed that.

What about Preble Shawnee and their levy failing? Could this start having an effect on their school district? They aren't in the position that VV was in but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up getting there. Keep in mind Preble Shawnee actually cancelled sports completely just like 15 years ago for an entire year.

I believe FL was discussed when the TRC formed but they only wanted in as football only. They are not interested for all sports. The only conference they are leaving the SCL for is the MAC.

I think Eaton/VV could be potential options but I think those 2 schools are likely to stay in whatever the remains of the SWBL is. For Eaton/VV I think it can work for them either way in the SWBL if you add schools like Talawanda/Ross/Edgewood or if you add CM/Wilmington. For example I just looked at basketball schedules and VV already plays Edgewood, Talawanda and CM. In football VV has Wilmington on the regular season schedule as well.
The TRC is, from what I hear, not interested in adding schools that far away. Riverside was the extent. Lehman will likely not have football at some point which leaves the door open for FL to join as football only to replace them. I don’t see any SWBL schools ever joining this league in the future, but you never know.

The TRC is, from what I hear, not interested in adding schools that far away. Riverside was the extent. Lehman will likely not have football at some point which leaves the door open for FL to join as football only to replace them. I don’t see any SWBL schools ever joining this league in the future, but you never know.
Gesh, if FL joins your encroaching on a very very good Small school conference. Whatever the 2nd tier below the MAC is (not sure what that group consists of). Some would argue its a not a small school conference but a medium school conference with smalls but whatever ;-)

I think that’s the only way FL joins the TRC. Lehman is up in the air from what I hear.

Covington, Milton, East, Ft Loramie, Troy Christian, Bethel, etc.pretty decent. Riverside and Northridge won’t be a powerhouse.

I think that’s the only way FL joins the TRC. Lehman is up in the air from what I hear.

Covington, Milton, East, Ft Loramie, Troy Christian, Bethel, etc.pretty decent. Riverside and Northridge won’t be a powerhouse.
Northridge will do okay. this conference should be fairly competitive across the board but id give the nod to Milton most years. pretty solid athletic program. but again, this will be competitive and am excited to see all the Miami County rivalries being played

Northridge will do okay. this conference should be fairly competitive across the board but id give the nod to Milton most years. pretty solid athletic program. but again, this will be competitive and am excited to see all the Miami County rivalries being played
Milton will struggle with Covington every year. Miami East is stout and you never know what Bethel and TC will field.

Milton will struggle with Covington every year. Miami East is stout and you never know what Bethel and TC will field.
Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't say Milton most years, but Milton will be in the mix every year. Covington, Milton and Miami East will go back and forth. With Bethel's school growing and them having the numbers/athletes in the school, you would think at some point that they could be very competitive. It just hasn't happened yet.

Covington will be stout most years. Bethel and Troy Christian have both proven they can get into the playoffs. Miami East is a little more established than TC and Bethel. Riverside has the potential to surprise some people, and i think Northridge could very well finish at least .500 most years in this league.

while i like the core of this league, i think it’s imminent that there will be more teams moving around. i really can’t see D7 teams putting up with D4 teams very long, historically it doesn’t work very well. look for a brookville, arcanum, graham, northwestern, and greenon to all get invited to this league at some point in some fashion (not all at once). regardless im a big fan of this core of teams.

Covington will be stout most years. Bethel and Troy Christian have both proven they can get into the playoffs. Miami East is a little more established than TC and Bethel. Riverside has the potential to surprise some people, and i think Northridge could very well finish at least .500 most years in this league.

while i like the core of this league, i think it’s imminent that there will be more teams moving around. i really can’t see D7 teams putting up with D4 teams very long, historically it doesn’t work very well. look for a brookville, arcanum, graham, northwestern, and greenon to all get invited to this league at some point in some fashion (not all at once). regardless im a big fan of this core of teams.
Also, Miami East and Troy Christian have 2 of the best "to be" Freshman classes around. I've seen Miami East and they are loaded. Led by Curtis Enis' son as a RB. I look for ME to be very strong in the next 2-3 years again...

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't say Milton most years, but Milton will be in the mix every year. Covington, Milton and Miami East will go back and forth. With Bethel's school growing and them having the numbers/athletes in the school, you would think at some point that they could be very competitive. It just hasn't happened yet.
Agree. The Big three will cycle with their classes. Bethel will be farily competitive and consistent. TC will have wild swings from competitive to poor. But, TC now has one of the best coaching staffs in the county. How much that impacts we will have to see. I doubt Nolan would have come back if the cubard was going to be completly bare. So he must know something. And having the wrestling coach around is a huge bonus. Again, I doubt he takes time away from his state/national level program if there were just empty classes coming in the next few years for football.
Also, Miami East and Troy Christian have 2 of the best "to be" Freshman classes around. I've seen Miami East and they are loaded. Led by Curtis Enis' son as a RB. I look for ME to be very strong in the next 2-3 years again...
Unfortunately, TC Super class is Basketball and Soccer, which could be a special groups. Not sure I have heard of any on the football side but hope I am wrong. We also all know how (Probably more times than not) Middles school success does not transfer to HS results. But its sure great to have a shot.

Last edited:
Agree. The Big three will cycle with their classes. Bethel will be farily competitive and consistent. TC will have wild swings from competitive to poor. But, TC now has one of the best coaching staffs in the county. How much that impacts we will have to see. I doubt Nolan would have come back if the cubard was going to be completly bare. So he must know something. And having the wrestling coach around is a huge bonus. Again, I doubt he takes time away from his state/national level program if there were just empty classes coming in the next few years for football.

Unfortunately, TC Super class is Basketball and Soccer, which could be a special groups. Not sure I have heard of any on the football side but hope I am wrong. We also all know how (Probably more times than not) Middles school success does not transfer to HS results. But its sure great to have a shot.
Agreed. Jr High doesn't mean a whole lot, but it is a promising sign if you have a good high school program in place.

Milton has been very inconsistent in their success. It used to be that every year we were in the title mix but that was 35-40 years ago. I think the core of schools here are very similar outside of enrollment figures. Bethel will be the biggest eventually but Milton and East will be with them. Right now I think Milton is the largest school.
the talent gap isn’t big between them and Riverside. It’s coaching and the system that are the difference. Pearce is a great coach and he builds talent. That’s the same at East and Covington. In think the Buccs and Bulldogs will be a huge rivalry. It is one that never got going in the SRC.

Milton,'Ridge, Bethel, East in order by enrollment, although 'Ridge is tops after competitive balance.
the Bethel fighting Carriage Trails will be biggest in a few years;)

Slow time for football. It’s getting closer every day. The SWBL is going to change and for the first time in over 60 years the Northridge Polar Bears will not be competing in the SWBL starting in 2021 Dixie for the first time in 46 seasons. MU for the first time in 20 years and Shawnee first time in 37 years. The league will split East and West.
West: Eaton, Valley View, Carlisle, Brookville, Madison ( Valley View will dominate this side)
East: Oakwood, Bellbrook, Waynesville, Monroe, Franklin
Anyone know the actual split?

If that’s the actual split it reminds me of the BIG 10 but reversed. East Is loaded with OSU, PSU, UM, MSU and the West has Wisconsin.