Football

there varsity was i believe 9-1 going into the playoffs, what did they finish? also what was the jv's record?

Kernel,

There is a little irony going on over the game with Akron Garfield. When the deal was inked, Garfield was in division I and Green was D-2. Now Garfield is the D-2 team and Green is D-1.

Kernel, I'm still dying to know. How did you get the nickname? Were you in the armed services? Spit!

Green is a Division 1 team now, and yes, Scuba, it is ironic that from all of the years in the past that GArfield had wanted to play the Bulldogs, Green was D2 and Garfield D1, but they AD at Green wouldn't play. Now, Green leaps to D1 and Garfield slips to D2, but the Rams will not waver. They will march right into that stadium in Green in Week 3 of 2004 and play their hearts out for a victory. I love the Bulldogs, but my loyalty has to remain with my Rams. I think Coach Sax is doing a great job of implementing (sp.) his own stamp and style on the program.

Anyway, I look for the Green-Garfield games to turn into a rivalry game and look forward to this series lasting well into the 21st Century.

Green now has a program that has lots of regular season success and were just coming into their own in D2. McVickers is a top notch coach and should be commended for taking Green to its current level. Green in D1 has been anticipated for a few years now. I would like to see a Green-Jackson or Green-Perry playoff game in the coming years.

I'd like to see Green put another FED team on their schedule. I think Lake-Green could be a fine rivalry, especially if Lake joins the Suburban League like it has been rumored.

Levi,
I dunno if i would say McVickers should be commended for what Green ahs done. I would give the credit to the assistant coaches at Green....they have done a tremendous job with those kids.
-Chief-

True that behind every good coach is good asst's otherwise the program wouldn't be as successful.

I just look at what Green's program was before McVickers was here and what it is now.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha .... its been like that for a reallllly long time... and i've said wow for a realllllly long time....

playoffs??

I appreciate Levi's courteous and cordial remarks about Green's recent wins (especially after his Vike's opened a big can of "whooop-butt" on us) ...

But his comments regarding Green heading to their 1st year in D1 playoff's is a bit overstated. We beat 2 - D3 schools. WOW!!!
Don't you need wins against D1 schools to "get in the game"?
Let me look, Wadsworth appears to be the only D1 game we have left. The likes of Highland, Cloverleaf, and the rest of the Suburban pretenders won't be enough for us to get it done.

The future growth of Green Schools (that is another issue too) will ensure D1 status forever. With that in mind, I see several options here:

1. Schedule more Fed League games or other D1 powers and actually win one of these games .... gheesh!

2. Get out of the Suburban League.... come one, we have outgrown it!

or,

3. Accept the fact we will never, ever sniff playoff football again!

:help:

:dang:

With their points they attained last year playing basically the same schedule (actually we're better off for having the bye week), we would have made the playoffs in DI-R2. I think this year it's even more of a lock should we win out. THe rest of the region is spending all season beating up on each other (thus leaving more points room at the top)

D1 playoffs

Actually if you look back at the Harbin points that Green had in the years they made the playoffs, I'm fairly certain that they would have qualified had they been in Division 1 every year they have made the playoffs.

In 93 they were first in the region (big points boost from the win over Jackson when only 4 teams per region made it)

The last three years they have been in the top four in their region and hosted a first round game with I believe enough points to have qualified even had they been in D1.

Say what you want about the Suburban League but since 1989 the Suburban League Champion has made the playoffs virtually every year. Many years several teams from the league have made the playoffs from D1 Wadsworth (even in years they lost to Green) to D4 Highland. There was a quick note in last Thursday or Friday's Beacon Journal that mentioned of all the area conferences the Suburban League had the best combined record through the first 3 weeks of nonleague play. That bodes well for the leagues playoff chances again this year.

Ton continue to make it in D1, they will likely need to make some changes to the nonleague schedule and win some of the bigger games. Garfield game will be interesting next year. It would be great to see them renew the series with Lake or Northwest and possibly play Louisville. I don't know how far in advance the schedule gets set, but when they renewed the Springfield series, Springfield was likely still decent when Glaze was coaching. The St Thomas Aquinas two year deal - who knows how long ago that was put together - maybe had something to do with Homoney? As it turned out, last year wasn't competitive and the bye may help in terms of points this year, but it would have been better for the young linemen to get another game under their belts.

Having said all this - qualifying for the playoffs in D1, and advancing are perhaps another level to get over.

The impact they Coach McVicker has had on the program in terms of the record and more so in what having a leader like him means to the kids can't be discounted. He has brought in good assistants and let them do their jobs, but they all reflect his overall approach to the game qame and more importantly in dealing with the kids.

Re: playoffs??

GREEN RULZ said:
I appreciate Levi's courteous and cordial remarks about Green's recent wins (especially after his Vike's opened a big can of "whooop-butt" on us) ...

But his comments regarding Green heading to their 1st year in D1 playoff's is a bit overstated. We beat 2 - D3 schools. WOW!!!
Don't you need wins against D1 schools to "get in the game"?
Let me look, Wadsworth appears to be the only D1 game we have left. The likes of Highland, Cloverleaf, and the rest of the Suburban pretenders won't be enough for us to get it done.

The future growth of Green Schools (that is another issue too) will ensure D1 status forever. With that in mind, I see several options here:

1. Schedule more Fed League games or other D1 powers and actually win one of these games .... gheesh!

2. Get out of the Suburban League.... come one, we have outgrown it!

or,

:dang:

I agree that Green should schedule more FED schools. I know throughout the 90's Green played Jackson and even beat them 10-6 (93?). Green/Lake to me seems like a rivalry waiting to happen.

IF Green can win out they will make the playoffs in R2 under the 8 seed format. They would need about 35 total wins. One win for each win and 1 win for each win by an opponent. Example: Green beats Copley who is 2-2, they get 3 wins for that (1 for beating Copley, 2 for beating a Copley team with 2 victories). Green has alot of potential CPU points, with Tallmadge and Norton fairing better in non league play than usual as the big one for Green will be beating Wadsworth. Green at 8-1 would likely finish in the 5-7 spot in the region.

Non League & playoffs

Green played Lake in the late 80s / early 90s and the games with the exception of one that got out of hand were very competitive. I believe Lake held a slight edge in the series. Definitely a series worth renewing.

Suburban League champion will again make the playoffs this year and based on the better than expected nonleague showing by the league as a whole, at least 2 SL teams will likely qualify.

Lake had some really good teams in the 1990's:

1991, 1993 and 1997 to the State Finals

1999 to the State semis only to lose to the State Champ, Walsh Jesuit

Re: playoffs??

GREEN RULZ said:

:dang: [/B]

Just so you know we're rankes 3rd our region in Division 1 this year. You are right about getting out of the Suburban Leqague but not for atleast 5 or 6 more years. We are way too small to compete with Fed Schools. Get your stuff straight before you talk.:mad:

because i am not familiar with many schools in Ohio... i was interested to see how you think you would do against teams like....St.Xavier, Moeller, Elder, Ignatious, and Ed's. IF you have played any of them before could i get the results... i am just wondering

Pickle in tha HOUSE!

How those Hotties in Green? Hope they are gettin' all tan for the influx of the Rams comin' week 3!! Garfield-Green in week 3!!!

Aww, Yeah!!

Twomorechances,

Green is on its way to being a very solid D-I program, but they aren't at the level of those teams yet.

They just destroyed a great D-2 team in Copley, who was ranked 16th in the state going into the game. We alos destroyed Wadsowrth the week before. And remember we beat both of those teams without our starting RB, Drew McDermitt. Cundiff stepped up & was HUGE last night with 4 passing TD's.