football

sackman

I know you guys are good in wrestling, but hows your football team?
I'm from Green, its in between akron and canton. anyway, you boys got one of our good players. he moved down last year.
just curious. I hope the kid is doing good, and your football team too.

Mason's new coach Brian Castner is inheriting a team that went 8-22 the last 3 years. The good news is the Coach Castner "bleeds green" and has been coaching at winning programs (St. Xavier most recently and the Popovich Era at Mason before that). I have no doubt that Castner will turn things around at Mason.

Top priority now for Mason is to develop depth and get some size in the front lines. My hope is that this new player from Green is a big dude. You can't win in the Greater Miami Conference without big lineman.

The nice thing is Mason's got a talented group of seniors that will be on the field that have won at every level they've played - including at JV where they joined a 3-7 squad and turned it around to 8-2 two years ago. There are quite a few juniors that won't embarass anyone either.

There are a couple of players with DI offers, a couple more being actively recruited at that level, and maybe 4-5 more that will probably play at some level after HS. They've been incredibly successful at combines, and 3 of the best SPARQ scores in the Cincinnati area were captured by Mason players. There are two seniors represented in one of the Top 200 lists of HS players in the state, and both are in the top 25 at their positions.

Fortunately, the cupboard isn't bare by any stretch of the imagination. The key will be to have some large and strong guys and some depth on the line this year and not have to use linebackers to play on the o-line.

The nice thing is Mason's got a talented group of seniors that will be on the field that have won at every level they've played - including at JV where they joined a 3-7 squad and turned it around to 8-2 two years ago. There are quite a few juniors that won't embarass anyone either.

There are a couple of players with DI offers, a couple more being actively recruited at that level, and maybe 4-5 more that will probably play at some level after HS. They've been incredibly successful at combines, and 3 of the best SPARQ scores in the Cincinnati area were captured by Mason players. There are two seniors represented in one of the Top 200 lists of HS players in the state, and both are in the top 25 at their positions.

Fortunately, the cupboard isn't bare by any stretch of the imagination. The key will be to have some large and strong guys and some depth on the line this year and not have to use linebackers to play on the o-line.

I'm back old buddy. I see nothing much has changed since I last looked at some of your posts concerning Mason football. Still talking about how the current seniors fared at the JV level, a couple of players with D-1 offers (looked on Rivals for players who in YOUR opinion would be most llikely to be D-1 prospects, didn't see any offers from any college, let alone a D-1 program) including someone you know very well. And let's not forget the ever important SPARQ scores. Undoubtedly one of the most USELESS and OVERRATED evaluation tools out there. The only thing you seemed to leave out for this years team is how much bigger, stronger and faster everybody is.

Let's let the season play out, PLEASE! I have read over the past 4 years how the Mason program is going to improve and how well these kids have competed at the junior high, freshman and jv levels. How the off-season workouts are really making a difference, how the new coach (Sedmak) was going to turn things around, how many kids were getting talked to by D-1 programs, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

We'll find out soon enough what Mason has, and what they don't have. I sincerely hope they do improve and Coach Castner can find some way to help these kids and this program win, but for crying out loud, let them play the game first. My prediction is that they win 3 games again this year, and that is because of a weak schedule and other programs having down years. Mason does have some good players, but from what I have seen, their achilles heell will once again be the O and D line. Can't win if you can't run the ball or stop anyone from running it. Just my opinion.

I was responding to cometcenter's post.

I'm not making any statements or claims other than the fact that the cupboard wasn't bare and talent is on the field. But if Mason can't go 5-5 or 6-4 with this schedule they may never do it. The offensive line IS probably the biggest question mark.

Might want to read some back issues of the Pulse-Journal regarding offers, because there ARE DI offers on the table so maybe you aren't looking at the right players. Some are expecting to pick up offers and/or offers from other schools once senior film is available.

I'm back old buddy. I see nothing much has changed since I last looked at some of your posts concerning Mason football. Still talking about how the current seniors fared at the JV level, a couple of players with D-1 offers (looked on Rivals for players who in YOUR opinion would be most llikely to be D-1 prospects, didn't see any offers from any college, let alone a D-1 program) including someone you know very well. And let's not forget the ever important SPARQ scores. Undoubtedly one of the most USELESS and OVERRATED evaluation tools out there. The only thing you seemed to leave out for this years team is how much bigger, stronger and faster everybody is.

Let's let the season play out, PLEASE! I have read over the past 4 years how the Mason program is going to improve and how well these kids have competed at the junior high, freshman and jv levels. How the off-season workouts are really making a difference, how the new coach (Sedmak) was going to turn things around, how many kids were getting talked to by D-1 programs, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

We'll find out soon enough what Mason has, and what they don't have. I sincerely hope they do improve and Coach Castner can find some way to help these kids and this program win, but for crying out loud, let them play the game first. My prediction is that they win 3 games again this year, and that is because of a weak schedule and other programs having down years. Mason does have some good players, but from what I have seen, their achilles heell will once again be the O and D line. Can't win if you can't run the ball or stop anyone from running it. Just my opinion.

Must be a reunion kind of thing here; another very realistic/factual post by the bigfan! I think there will be about as many D1 offers as there were last year. How many was that again? We know there's a difference between actual offers and interest in players/players interested in schools. Nothing counts until the NLI's are signed anyway, right?
I do think the Comets might go 4-6 or I'm I saying this, 5-5 (the schedule is a little more favorable to the Comets this year). In any case, I do think Coach Castner will at least make the team a lot more competitive at the very least.

"Let's let the season play out", Amen!!
Good to see you back, bigfan!

Go Comets!!!

I was responding to cometcenter's post.

I'm not making any statements or claims other than the fact that the cupboard wasn't bare and talent is on the field. But if Mason can't go 5-5 or 6-4 with this schedule they may never do it. The offensive line IS probably the biggest question mark.

Might want to read some back issues of the Pulse-Journal regarding offers, because there ARE DI offers on the table so maybe you aren't looking at the right players. Some are expecting to pick up offers and/or offers from other schools once senior film is available.

My bad, I will start reading the Pulse Journal when I want to follow college football recruiting. I could understand slow offers coming from out of state schools waiting to see senior film, but local schools like UC should know who the REAL STUDS are in SW OHIO. Last year you said there were D1 coaches were very interested in several players and offers were going to be coming.

When I asked you to identify the players who were being recruited by D1 schools, you said that it was not your place to say. Remember? Well, we had absolutely zero players offered by D1 schools. IMHO, Nick Wehby will be the only player from last year to get a shot to ever see the field in college. The others were last minute additions and walk-ons. BTW, I am looking at the right players.

My bad, I will start reading the Pulse Journal when I want to follow college football recruiting. I could understand slow offers coming from out of state schools waiting to see senior film, but local schools like UC should know who the REAL STUDS are in SW OHIO. Last year you said there were D1 coaches were very interested in several players and offers were going to be coming.

When I asked you to identify the players who were being recruited by D1 schools, you said that it was not your place to say. Remember? Well, we had absolutely zero players offered by D1 schools. IMHO, Nick Wehby will be the only player from last year to get a shot to ever see the field in college. The others were last minute additions and walk-ons. BTW, I am looking at the right players.

I did say that, I won't identify players because for whatever reason the Mason crew on this board actually attacks and says little to nothing that is positive unless their kid sees the field, has a good game or the team wins or they decide that they don't hate the coach. There's more politics and backbiting on this board than there is in the Mason school system. It's not any fun to talk Mason football.

The recruiting process is a long and frustrating one, but there are a couple of Mason seniors with DI offers today. If you don't see any, you aren't looking at the right place. There are a couple more that have DI schools waiting for senior film. There are kids in Cincinnati that have already been told that their DI offers are null because the schools allottment has been filled - some kids even the 'stud' holding a single offer don't really have one because the school won't honor it. Now does the kid have a DI offer? In Mason, that gets the kid and the person revealing it attacked because if they were 'really DI material or a 'stud' they would have taken them anyway'. Not worth it. Until officially announced I don't say anything, that's just my policy.

Apparently UC does NOT know who all of the 'real studs' are because they are taking second and 3rd looks at solid players that people aren't talking about because some of the 'real studs' that they offered early or were considering got their butts handed to them publicly at camp. UC isn't finished, even though they have offers for 'real studs' at every position.

I think you are wrong, Wheby will definitely see the field but I think Gillespie and White will have the chance and may get on the field all 4 years. They did a very thorough process and picked schools and programs that would provide the opportunity. You were wrong though, Wheby did have a DI offer, but he and his family liked the overall program and feel at Indianapolis. Does that mean he's not DI caliber, because he chose not to accept it?

I did say that, I won't identify players because for whatever reason the Mason crew on this board actually attacks and says little to nothing that is positive unless their kid sees the field, has a good game or the team wins or they decide that they don't hate the coach. There's more politics and backbiting on this board than there is in the Mason school system. It's not any fun to talk Mason football.

The recruiting process is a long and frustrating one, but there are a couple of Mason seniors with DI offers today. If you don't see any, you aren't looking at the right place. There are a couple more that have DI schools waiting for senior film. There are kids in Cincinnati that have already been told that their DI offers are null because the schools allottment has been filled - some kids even the 'stud' holding a single offer don't really have one because the school won't honor it. Now does the kid have a DI offer? In Mason, that gets the kid and the person revealing it attacked because if they were 'really DI material or a 'stud' they would have taken them anyway'. Not worth it. Until officially announced I don't say anything, that's just my policy.

Apparently UC does NOT know who all of the 'real studs' are because they are taking second and 3rd looks at solid players that people aren't talking about because some of the 'real studs' that they offered early or were considering got their butts handed to them publicly at camp. UC isn't finished, even though they have offers for 'real studs' at every position.

I think you are wrong, Wheby will definitely see the field but I think Gillespie and White will have the chance and may get on the field all 4 years. They did a very thorough process and picked schools and programs that would provide the opportunity. You were wrong though, Wheby did have a DI offer, but he and his family liked the overall program and feel at Indianapolis. Does that mean he's not DI caliber, because he chose not to accept it?

I know for a fact that Nick Wehby did NOT receive a D1 offer. I know he and family were in discussion with some D1 schools, but never received an official offer. I think Nick had the talent, but who am I? Obviously the coaches didn't. I am not going to publicly say anything bad about the other two players you mentioned, but their resume at Mason was hardly impressive, no post season accolades whatsoever and unless they really step it up and make major improvements in college, they will be lucky to see the field.

Tell me where I should be looking to see what offers have been extended to the players from Mason. I follow Rivals, Maxpreps and Ohio sports. Funny, I see that Jared Grace from Colerain is listed as committing to ND, I see others from the GMC and other schools in Ohio where some of their kids have been extended offers from major D1 programs. Why are the kids from Mason not listed?

Not knocking the kids, their talent will only take them to whatever level they rise to. In my opinion, if a kid ends up playing, "PLAYING" at the next level, whatever it may be, good for them and Mason. My problem is you seem to have "rose color" glasses on when it comes to evaluating talent, most notably, kids from Mason.

I'll say again, I hope Mason has a great season and I am proved wrong. I do hope coach Castner can find a way to help this program win. I would love it if 10 kids got D1 scholarship offers. I will not however, allow certain people to make certain claims about players talents, abilities and potential opportunities that can not be backed up by play on the field.

Rivals shows 2 players from Mason (Class of 2011) that have been offered DI FBS scholarships, I can see them so I'm not sure why you can't see them. Like I said, if you can't find them in Rivals, the Pulse-Journal has talked about them. There may be 2 more added after some senior film is delivered (FCS and FBS), and senior film from at least 1 of the ones that already has an offer may lead to another.

Wheby was offered by Dayton (DI FCS), and you are correct was talking to a couple of other DI programs including OU and Holy Cross. Gillespie was offered by Davidson and Valpo (DI FCS). I'm not sure if you only consider full-ride DI FBS offers as legit, but I include DI FCS.

Rivals shows 2 players from Mason (Class of 2011) that have been offered DI FBS scholarships, I can see them so I'm not sure why you can't see them. Like I said, if you can't find them in Rivals, the Pulse-Journal has talked about them. There may be 2 more added after some senior film is delivered (FCS and FBS), and senior film from at least 1 of the ones that already has an offer may lead to another.

Wheby was offered by Dayton (DI FCS), and you are correct was talking to a couple of other DI programs including OU and Holy Cross. Gillespie was offered by Davidson and Valpo (DI FCS). I'm not sure if you only consider full-ride DI FBS offers as legit, but I include DI FCS.

I stand corrected. I find it interesting that Fulcher (who I think has the most potential when he is healthy) has been offered by two out of state programs and hasn't played a full season yet. The other, Henson has already committed to UNC for Lacrosse and won't be taking his skills to the next level for football. From what I have been told, the latter didn't want to play football this year and is only doing so because his parents made him. I think he will contribute this year because of his talent, but football is not the kind of sport you play well if your heart isn't in the game. For his sake, I hope he does not get injured.

D1 is D1 in my mind. The bigger point is that alot of kids from the GMC are going to what I would consider big time D1 programs. Several of the teams in the GMC alone have many kids that are going to the likes of OSU, ND, etc. The best Mason kids are able to do is what I would consider 2nd tier D1 programs. The real shame in my mind is that many of these kids are good students and are making their college choices based on potentially playing football and not where they may actually get the best education. If they were getting full rides for their services, I could understand.

Anyway, as usual, just my opinion.

Must be a reunion kind of thing here; another very realistic/factual post by the bigfan! I think there will be about as many D1 offers as there were last year. How many was that again? We know there's a difference between actual offers and interest in players/players interested in schools. Nothing counts until the NLI's are signed anyway, right?
I do think the Comets might go 4-6 or I'm I saying this, 5-5 (the schedule is a little more favorable to the Comets this year). In any case, I do think Coach Castner will at least make the team a lot more competitive at the very least.

"Let's let the season play out", Amen!!
Good to see you back, bigfan!

Go Comets!!!

Hey HW. Ready for another season of getting under everybody's skin by telling the truth and bringing some reality to the Mason football program?

Seriously, I hope the boys do well and have a great first season under Coach Castner. I will be watching and ready to throw my two cents worth in if the boys do not play, or Coach Castner does not coach up to expectations. I don't think it will happen, but if the Comets win 6 games this year, that would be a big confidence builder for the program. I do agree with SWMCINCI that if they don't win 5 or 6 this year, they may never do so. The schedule and talent level in the GMC may never be this favorable for Mason again.

Looking forward to your posts as well as everybody elses this year.

I stand corrected. I find it interesting that Fulcher (who I think has the most potential when he is healthy) has been offered by two out of state programs and hasn't played a full season yet. The other, Henson has already committed to UNC for Lacrosse and won't be taking his skills to the next level for football. From what I have been told, the latter didn't want to play football this year and is only doing so because his parents made him. I think he will contribute this year because of his talent, but football is not the kind of sport you play well if your heart isn't in the game. For his sake, I hope he does not get injured.

D1 is D1 in my mind. The bigger point is that alot of kids from the GMC are going to what I would consider big time D1 programs. Several of the teams in the GMC alone have many kids that are going to the likes of OSU, ND, etc. The best Mason kids are able to do is what I would consider 2nd tier D1 programs. The real shame in my mind is that many of these kids are good students and are making their college choices based on potentially playing football and not where they may actually get the best education. If they were getting full rides for their services, I could understand.

Anyway, as usual, just my opinion.

Mostly marketing hype!! If all these kids are truly getting "real offers" to play D1 than we will see the NLI's signed by years end. Until the NLI's are signed anyone can claim they're being "offered" verbally, by letter, phone calls, etc. Heck my nephew has gotten many letters, phone calls, emails etc for baseball and football from dozens of colleges. Until he signs an NLI it doesn't mean a thing. Even after signing an NLI it can rendered null and void for many various reasons (just about any contract can be broken).

There's a difference between recruiting, being recruited and actually "offered" compensation (a scholarship) to play sports for a college. A lot of people use the marketing hype "has D1 offers" when in reality it's just interest in the athlete and or the athlete interested in a school.

I stand corrected. I find it interesting that Fulcher (who I think has the most potential when he is healthy) has been offered by two out of state programs and hasn't played a full season yet....

To be precise he has one, from OU, at this point. The other schools are interested and may offer after seeing a couple of games as a senior.

I believe most are looking at the education, few are going to be stars, and fewer will go on to the NFL. Someone pointed out in another thread, for all of it's 'superior' athletes, how many Colerain stars have done much in college football?

A lot of people use the marketing hype "has D1 offers" when in reality it's just interest in the athlete and or the athlete interested in a school.

I don't know anyone that uses that hype. But by your definition there's not a single DI offer or commitment out there yet because they are all verbals and NLIs aren't out until February.

Hey HW. Ready for another season of getting under everybody's skin by telling the truth and bringing some reality to the Mason football program?

Seriously, I hope the boys do well and have a great first season under Coach Castner. I will be watching and ready to throw my two cents worth in if the boys do not play, or Coach Castner does not coach up to expectations. I don't think it will happen, but if the Comets win 6 games this year, that would be a big confidence builder for the program. I do agree with SWMCINCI that if they don't win 5 or 6 this year, they may never do so. The schedule and talent level in the GMC may never be this favorable for Mason again.

Looking forward to your posts as well as everybody Else's this year.

Yeah, I'm like you when it comes to calling it the way I see it. It's nice to have posters like yourself that have realistic points of view and only write what they know as fact and not just wishful thinking or how they want things to look. Not keeping a realistic perspective just gets in the way of forward progress. IMO

I also would like to see the boys play some real competitive football, get some big wins, and have a winning season for a change.

I also hope many get a chance to play college ball. But again let's keep it in a realistic perspective. I know that won't fly with some on here but that won't stop me from posting the good, the bad and the ugly!

Anyway, Football is almost here!! I can't wait until the season starts and the battle of the boards begins! I got my armor ready to go in case we need to cut through all the BS that hits these boards in the coming weeks. I'm sure I'll need it.

Good luck to the players and the coaches! Be smart, play hard, and represent your school/community well!

Go Comets!!!

Last edited:
I don't know anyone that uses that hype. But by your definition there's not a single DI offer or commitment out there yet because they are all verbals and NLIs aren't out until February.

True, there's not an NLI signed yet; but again "if all these kids are truly getting "real offers" to play D1 than we will see the NLI's signed" then. "Until the NLI's are signed anyone can claim they're being "offered". We'll just have to see come February for sure!

True, there's not an NLI signed yet; but again "if all these kids are truly getting "real offers" to play D1 than we will see the NLI's signed" then. "Until the NLI's are signed anyone can claim they're being "offered". We'll just have to see come February for sure!

You hit the nail right on the head HWC. Anyone can "claim" they are getting "looks" and "offers" from anyone. I hate to be a downer here, but I suspect there are some parents out there who think their kids are alot better than they are in reality. Make claims that offers are coming etc. etc. I don't know for sure, but I am suspicious. LOL

Anyone have any updates on how the team has looked? Also who is looking like they are getting the starting QB job? Sorry if I am a little late to the party on this one, but is Gabe Shreve going to play this year?

Anyone have any updates on how the team has looked? Also who is looking like they are getting the starting QB job? Sorry if I am a little late to the party on this one, but is Gabe Shreve going to play this year?

Have only heard some comments from some of the players dad's who have been to some of the practices and scrimmages. Not surprisingly, the dad's whose kid plays on defense say the defense looks solid, but the offense needs alot of work, the dad's whose son plays on offense says the offense looks good, but the defense looks weak. Go figure.

From what I have heard, Gabe Shreve is not playing this year, but you never know, now that two a days are over he may pull another surprise appearance like he did last year.

Have only heard some comments from some of the players dad's who have been to some of the practices and scrimmages. Not surprisingly, the dad's whose kid plays on defense say the defense looks solid, but the offense needs alot of work, the dad's whose son plays on offense says the offense looks good, but the defense looks weak. Go figure.

From what I have heard, Gabe Shreve is not playing this year, but you never know, now that two a days are over he may pull another surprise appearance like he did last year.

That would be unfortunate if he did. What kind of message would that send (aka being Favre'd)? I hope that Castner would just say no.....

That would be unfortunate if he did. What kind of message would that send (aka being Favre'd)? I hope that Castner would just say no.....

I agree DAWG. From what I have heard about Coach Castner, don't think it would happen. From what I understand, Shreve is going to concentrate on Lacrosse. Can't blame him, the kid is very talented and if he can pull his grades up, could play Division 1 Lacrosse like Derek Henson.

That would be unfortunate if he did. What kind of message would that send (aka being Favored)? I hope that Castner would just say no.....

They can't stop him from coming out and playing on the team (at least not yet). Castner won't pull a "Sedmak" and play him. The kid would not play and if he did it would be very limited at a position he wouldn't like.

This scenario has already been played out with another player this year and he has decided to quit already.

Mason fans...

Unfortunately I'll be working second shift for most of if not all of the season...I'll be looking forward to your post-game reports.

Wishing the Comets much success, fun, and safety this season.

Can some please post the starting lineup based on the scrimmages?

Can some please post the starting lineup based on the scrimmages?

28-14. Didn't see the Gahanna game but I like the stats...looks like GL scored a TD with 0:05 left in the game and had negative yards rushing.

East at home next week... win #2?