Football Season Needs To Start Earlier!!!

Going back 20 years, it looks like the football state final games were completed the first weekend of December. Though there were 8 teams per region and the season started later, than recently, but the state finals this year will end the first weekend of December....no change. This has been an issue and or argument that is not new now because of the expanded football playoffs.

I assume basketball has the non mandatory (mandatory) open gyms, kids have AAU and other summer leagues, etc. I know there are football coaches out there that complain they cant get a kid(s) into July camp because those kids are doing BBall. This year was critical for that, since that week of pre season camp counted to conditioning for the two a days, which started in pads. Essentially, starting the year earlier to, maybe, appease BBall folks (idk) but it seems to no avail as the debate is still going on.

I have personally talked to BBall kids that have said their coaches prefer them to focus on BBall and missing time in the gym could affect their playing time. Since football team numbers seem to be dropping, I wonder if what those kids are saying is true. If it is, shame on the BBall coaches.

As a tongue in cheek, when a school with a really good football team is getting beat during a BBall game, the chant of, "lets play football" seems to come out of the student section. Somehow, that doesn't work in reverse.

Football only plays 10 regular season games.... Why does basketball need to play 30? Back the schedule down and start basketball later. It is inside, nobody gets cold and its non-contact so you can play multiple games per week.
Schools cannot start football any earlier, some later starting schools already play their first game prior to the first day of school (which is kind of a pain to begin with).

Football only plays 10 regular season games.... Why does basketball need to play 30? Back the schedule down and start basketball later. It is inside, nobody gets cold and its non-contact so you can play multiple games per week.
Schools cannot start football any earlier, some later starting schools already play their first game prior to the first day of school (which is kind of a pain to begin with).
basketball only plays 22 regular season games.

Going back 20 years, it looks like the football state final games were completed the first weekend of December. Though there were 8 teams per region and the season started later, than recently, but the state finals this year will end the first weekend of December....no change. This has been an issue and or argument that is not new now because of the expanded football playoffs.

I assume basketball has the non mandatory (mandatory) open gyms, kids have AAU and other summer leagues, etc. I know there are football coaches out there that complain they cant get a kid(s) into July camp because those kids are doing BBall. This year was critical for that, since that week of pre season camp counted to conditioning for the two a days, which started in pads. Essentially, starting the year earlier to, maybe, appease BBall folks (idk) but it seems to no avail as the debate is still going on.

I have personally talked to BBall kids that have said their coaches prefer them to focus on BBall and missing time in the gym could affect their playing time. Since football team numbers seem to be dropping, I wonder if what those kids are saying is true. If it is, shame on the BBall coaches.

As a tongue in cheek, when a school with a really good football team is getting beat during a BBall game, the chant of, "lets play football" seems to come out of the student section. Somehow, that doesn't work in reverse.
I think most of the coaches who say that are just speaking the truth. If you don't work on your game as much as other kids you fall behind all other things being equal.

Move Basketball later in the year. How about they start in December or even January? Football is starting earlier now than ever. Most schools have their first game before school starts.
There isn't the preparation needed for basketball that there is for Football, that's why they can play 3 games a week. Football can only play 1 per week.
The number of games per week has nothing to do with preparation. The preparation isn't more in football. It has to do with a player's physical recovery. It takes longer to recover after a football game do to the physical contact than from a basketball game.

Anyone else agree that football needs to start earlier?
I think they should play their first game during the first week of August. Not sure why OHSAA decided to have the first playoff game during the first official day for basketball.

This hurts small schools, especially when football controls the entire summer as well.
I agree!! This has had a huge impact for all schools that teams make a playoff run (which is a PHENOMENAL thing). I have known teams to have had 2-3 practices with their full team before their first game, because the opposing school would not move - this has happened on more than one occasion!