3t. Garfield Heights (2), 67
3t. Cincinnati Moeller (2), 67
5. Louisville (1), 65
6. Olentangy Orange (1), 63
7. Brunswick (1), 43
8. Toledo Whitmer, 42
9. Cincinnati Elder, 28
10. Beavercreek (1), 19
Others receiving 12 or more points: Delaware Hayes 14. Newark 14. Centerville 13.

Division II:
1. Lutheran West (9), 99
2. Kettering Alter (2), 94
3. Lexington (1), 93
4. Cincinnati Wyoming, 58
5. Willard, 50
6. Columbus Hartley, 48
7. Cuyahoga Falls CVCA, 36
8. Youngstown Ursuline, 20
9. Creston Norwayne, 18
10. Columbus Bishop Ready, 12
Others receiving 12 or more points: None

Division III:
1. Lutheran East (8), 106
2. Ottawa-Glandorf (2), 89
3. Camden Preble Shawnee (1), 70
4. Wayne Trace, 50
5. Margaretta, 46
6t. Tri-Village, 28
6t. Emmanuel Christian, 28
8. Malvern, 23
9. Cincinnati Mariemont, 22
10. Fairview Park, 21
Others receiving 12 or more points: Cadiz Harrison Central 18. Minford 18. Ashland Crestview 13.

Division IV:
1. Warren JFK (4), 96
2. Russia (3), 90
3. Lima Central Catholic, 80
4. Maumee Valley Country Day (1), 70
5. Richmond Heights (3), 47
6. S. Webster, 41
7. Pandora-Gilboa, 28
8t. Leesburg Fairfield, 26
8t. Woods. Monroe Central, 26
10. Berlin Hiland, 24
Others receiving 12 or more points: Troy Christian 23. Antwerp 18.

The SOS metric should be used in the polls as well. Elder at 9 is a joke (too high) as is Centerville at 13 (too low).

Iggy a legit #1.

Other than the top 3 or 4 teams D4 is the weakest it's been in a long long time. Richmond Heights will likely run away with it again. There is a team in the Top 10 that may be the 4th best team in their own county lol.

Hmm, Centerville has beaten #3 Moeller and #10 Beavercreek. Perhaps they'll add #1 Ignatius this Saturday.

DIVISION I
1. St. Ignatius (3) 9-2 77
2. Findlay 8-0 69
3. Garfield Hts. (2) 9-0 67
(tie) Cin. Moeller (2) 9-0 67
5. Louisville (1) 9-1 65
6. Olentangy Orange (1) 9-0 63
7. Brunswick (1) 9-0 43
8. Tol. Whitmer 8-1 42
9. Cin. Elder 8-0 28
10. Beavercreek (1) 6-1 19
Others receiving 12 or more points: 11. Delaware Hayes 14. 11. Newark 14. 13. Centerville 13.

Hmm, Centerville has beaten #3 Moeller and #10 Beavercreek. Perhaps they'll add #1 Ignatius this Saturday.

DIVISION I
2. Findlay 8-0 69
5. Louisville (1) 9-1 65
7. Brunswick (1) 9-0 43
8. Tol. Whitmer 8-1 42
9. Cin. Elder 8-0 28
Others receiving 12 or more points: 11. Delaware Hayes 14. 11. Newark 14. 13. Centerville 13.
I won't list all the ridiculous things about these rankings to keep my post short, but I will comment on the most egregious. A voter entrusted with ranking the HS basketball teams in Ohio believes that Beavercreek is the best D1 team in Ohio. I'm sure that one vote came from an AP member in Greene county, who should have their voting rights revoked!

Some NW Ohio observations:

Findlay has had a great start to the season but in regards to their talent there is no way are they the 2nd best team in Ohio. Not even top 10. Voting them 2nd just sets them up for failure.

Nice to see 4 northwest Ohio teams in the top 6 in D3. Ottawa-Glandorf is not the OG of the last few years but they still have the fire power to make it to state.

I did not realize that Lima Central Catholic dropped down to D4. They will be the favorite to come out of NW Ohio in that division. They have a quality team. Keep an eye out for Emmanuel Christian though.

Are these state polls from Max Preps, OHSAA releasing them or Coaches Voting like past?
These are from the media (AP), I've never seen an in-season poll voted on by the coaches.

The Max Preps RPI used for seeding is supposed to be released this week. The OHSBCA newsletter said January 8th, but they already blew through that date.

These are from the media (AP), I've never seen an in-season poll voted on by the coaches.

The Max Preps RPI used for seeding is supposed to be released this week. The OHSBCA newsletter said January 8th, but they already blew through that date.
Got it. I know each OHSAA Sport is different on who votes. What "Media" does the voting?

DIVISION I
2. Findlay 8-0 69
5. Louisville (1) 9-1 65
7. Brunswick (1) 9-0 43
8. Tol. Whitmer 8-1 42
9. Cin. Elder 8-0 28
Love to see it, but don't count on it...Ignatius is real this year.

I won't list all the ridiculous things about these rankings to keep my post short, but I will comment on the most egregious. A voter entrusted with ranking the HS basketball teams in Ohio believes that Beavercreek is the best D1 team in Ohio. I'm sure that one vote came from an AP member in Greene county, who should have their voting rights revoked!
I figure same guy (assume it's a guy) that voted Xenia #1 in D1 football and voted Ansonia over Marion Local in football.

That is some of the humorous voting that goes on here. Can not imagine they really believe what they vote.

That guy is also a Centerville grad and usually votes them high in the polls as well. I've seen a few meltdowns about that over the years. It's just a poll anyway and does not have any bearing on how the teams are ranked for the tourney so it's no big deal how people vote.

That guy is also a Centerville grad and usually votes them high in the polls as well. I've seen a few meltdowns about that over the years. It's just a poll anyway and does not have any bearing on how the teams are ranked for the tourney so it's no big deal how people vote.
Completely agree, still worth calling out lol

How is Garfield Heights not #1?
Garfield Heights should be #1. Maybe the Cleveland.com voter has not convinced the other writers yet.
After all, per yesterday's Cleveland.com article -
"“I think we have two all-state players,” said Garfield Heights coach Sonny Johnson" (meaning his son Marcus and De Andre Jones) ...
"“They might be one of the best dynamic duos coming around in the state right now,” Sonny Johnson said."

+ they got the 2 transfer-in's from Ignatius with 3 years' varsity experience that are strong on defense, rebounding and provide some scoring.

Findlay has had a great start to the season but in regards to their talent there is no way are they the 2nd best team in Ohio. Not even top 10. Voting them 2nd just sets them up for failure.

Nice to see 4 northwest Ohio teams in the top 6 in D3. Ottawa-Glandorf is not the OG of the last few years but they still have the fire power to make it to state.

I did not realize that Lima Central Catholic dropped down to D4. They will be the favorite to come out of NW Ohio in that division. They have a quality team. Keep an eye out for Emmanuel Christian though.
It's the first poll, let them enjoy a little time in the sunshine. No need to be exact with a tournament down the road.

I don't see Findlay as a Top 5 team, at least for now......but at this point I'd have them in the top 10. 20+ point wins over Whitmer and Lima Senior. They have OG this Saturday. I don't expect 20+ because OG style of play just doesn't let that happen, but if they control the game and get a W I think they are definitely a Top 10 team

DIVISION I
2. Findlay 8-0 69
5. Louisville (1) 9-1 65
7. Brunswick (1) 9-0 43
8. Tol. Whitmer 8-1 42
9. Cin. Elder 8-0 28
They also have three losses, including to a very average Fairmont. It will all eventually play out. Too early to assign much significance.

Last edited:
Whoever he is, I’m sure he doesn’t really believe that. He just wants his school recognized for the good season they are having by getting them mentioned in the top ten. Been going on for years. Unfortunately for B’creek, we all know that they won’t last in the top ten. They lost in fact tonight to Alter.

UPI was a coach’s poll. Ended around the early 90’s.

Agree

The SOS metric should be used in the polls as well. Elder at 9 is a joke (too high) as is Centerville at 13 (too low).

Iggy a legit #1.

These are meaningless polls by sportswriters who hardly see any of the teams play. They’re not worth paying any attention to

These are meaningless polls by sportswriters who hardly see any of the teams play. They’re not worth paying any attention to
No poll is worth paying attention to. That's why it's good they're moving to a formula. Humans are instinctively biased, especially those voting in polls. This is true moreso today than ever before.