Final State Rankings

I know state rankings are mostly meaningless, however it does provide a window into which teams to watch over the next couple of weeks.

Is the general consensus still that St. Ignatius is the frontrunner to win it all until proven otherwise?

II
I think that's the presumption going into every D1 tournament, barring results that suggest otherwise. They do seem to be more vulnerable than in past years (2 losses -- albeit to national powers -- and needed to pull out game against Western Reserve Academy in the. final 10 minutes), but it will take a monumental effort to defeat them. (And they probably won't face anyone who can until the regional semis or finals.)

Good luck to all remaining teams!

Yeah, it’s St Ignatius and everyone else right now. And since everyone pretty much avoided them as long as possible, they won’t be challenged until regionals at the earliest.
I don't understand why Centerville and St Ignatius don't play each other during the regular season. The two teams had 3 common opponents this year; St Xavier, Mason and St Charles. Some years Centerville would get smacked, however I think you would see a good game every 2 to 3 years.

I know Grandview Heights are defending champs, but they are ranked far too high. I don’t expect them to make it out of districts.

State poll teams - earliest they could see another one ...

DIVISION I
1) St. Ignatius -> regional semi (Strongsville)
2) Hudson -> regional final (Westlake)
3) Centerville -> district final (Anderson)
4) New Albany -> reginal final (Olentangy)
5) Mason -> district final (Beavercreek)
6) Westlake -> district semi (Brunswick)
7) Medina -> district final (Westlake)
8) Olentangy -> regional semi (Dublin Jerome)
9) Anthony Wayne -> would have been Perrysburg in a regional semi, except for the whole eliminated thing (now it's St. Ignatius or Strongsville in a regional final)
10) Dublin Jerome -> regional semi (New Albany)
11) Cincinnati St. Xavier -> district final (Springboro)
12) Strongsville -> district final (Wooster)
13) Springboro -> district final (Cincinnati St. Xavier)
14) Cincinnati Anderson -> district final (Centerville)
15-T) Brunswick -> district semi (Westlake)
15-T) Perrysburg -> ELIMINATED BY TOLEDO ST. FRANCIS, 2-0 sectional final
HM) Beavercreek -> district final (Mason)
HM) Wooster -> district final (Strongsville)

**keep in mind that the central region only has three possible state poll ranked teams, as the entirety of the central region is encompassed in the central coaches association district

Division II
1) Revere -> regional final (Lima Shawnee)
2) Bay Village -> regional semi (CVCA)
3) Indian Hill -> regional semi (Summit Country Day)
4) Howland -> district final (Kenston)
5) Lima Shawnee -> district final (Kenton)
6) Tippecanoe -> district final (Kettering Alter)
7) CVCA -> regional semi (Bay Village)
8) Summit Country Day -> district semi (Wyoming)
9) Lexington -> district final (Ontario)
10) Painesville Harvey -> district final (Poland)
11) Dayton Carroll -> district final (Wyoming)
12-T) Poland -> district semi (Canfield)
12-T) Cin. Wyoming -> district semi (Summit Country Day)
14) Kettering Alter -> district final (Kettering Alter)
15) Athens -> regional final (John Glenn)
HM) Kenton -> district final (Lima Shawnee)
HM) John Glenn -> regional final (Athens)
HM) Canfield -> district semi (Poland)
HM) Ontario -> district final (Lexington)
HM) Kenston -> district final (Howland)

*note: looks like central coaches association forgot to submit for final poll, Bexley for sure would be ranked, Granville might have been. Those two should meet in a district final that feeds into Athens at the regional semifinal level.

DIVISION III
1) Hudson WRA -> not in the OHSAA playoffs
2) Cardinal Mooney -> regional semi (Wickliffe)
3) Legacy Christian -> district final (Mariemont)
4) Beachwood -> regional semi (Norwayne)
5) Worthington Christian -> regional semi (Grandview Hts)
6) Ottawa Hills -> regional semi (Hanoverton United)
7) Yellow Springs -> regional semi (Legacy Christian)
8) Grandview Hts -> district final (Tree of Life)
9) Ottoville -> regional final (Ottawa Hills)
10) Mariemont ->district final (Legacy Christian)
11) Hanoverton United -> regional semi (Ottawa Hills)
12) Norwayne -> regional semi (Beachwood)
13) Madeira -> regional semI (Miami East)
14) Wickliffe -> district final (Badger)
15) Miami East -> district final (Georgetown)
HM) Minford -> regional final (Grandview Hts)
HM) Columbus Tree of Life -> district final (Granview Hts)
HM) Badger -> district final (Wickliffe)
HM) Georgetown -> district final (Miami East)

State poll teams - earliest they could see another one ...

DIVISION I
1) St. Ignatius -> regional semi (Strongsville)
2) Hudson -> regional final (Westlake)
3) Centerville -> district final (Anderson)
4) New Albany -> reginal final (Olentangy)
5) Mason -> district final (Beavercreek)
6) Westlake -> district semi (Brunswick)
7) Medina -> district final (Westlake)
8) Olentangy -> regional semi (Dublin Jerome)
9) Anthony Wayne -> would have been Perrysburg in a regional semi, except for the whole eliminated thing (now it's St. Ignatius or Strongsville in a regional final)
10) Dublin Jerome -> regional semi (New Albany)
11) Cincinnati St. Xavier -> district final (Springboro)
12) Strongsville -> district final (Wooster)
13) Springboro -> district final (Cincinnati St. Xavier)
14) Cincinnati Anderson -> district final (Centerville)
15-T) Brunswick -> district semi (Westlake)
15-T) Perrysburg -> ELIMINATED BY TOLEDO ST. FRANCIS, 2-0 sectional final
HM) Beavercreek -> district final (Mason)
HM) Wooster -> district final (Strongsville)

**keep in mind that the central region only has three possible state poll ranked teams, as the entirety of the central region is encompassed in the central coaches association district
It appears that St. Ignatius is in a weak region. Yes, they are the best, however I suspect if they had to play the tournament in R4, it would be more difficult for them to reach the finals every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISI
It appears that St. Ignatius is in a weak region. Yes, they are the best, however I suspect if they had to play tournament in R4, it would be more difficult for them to reach the finals every year.
That’s the advantage of being in an area that gets divided into multiple regions and being the top seed.

Same advantage for Revere in D2, being able to avoid a team like Bay until state semis

It also is the product of teams avoiding you and staying away as far as possible
Very true - it's usually pretty evident that any high seeds in this area look for any other district than theirs each year. The next highest seed in their bracket is Shaker Hts at #13, who they've already beaten 4-0 this year.

Ignatius played and beat St. X and Mason. No reason not to believe that the Cats could not have beaten any other team from SW Ohio.

To be fair, Ignatius played those teams in September. I think the matches would be more difficult when there's more on the line during tournament play.

Again, do you agree or not with his assessment that they would have a harder road in SWO than in NEO?
As long as NE Ohio still crosses over more than one region, that’s true. It’s not like NEO isn’t loaded as well, it’s just that there’s enough teams to span over into a weaker region that St Ignatius can choose

NE OH in D1 has six regional bids due to the number of schools, SW OH has four regional bids.
St. Ignatius is currently part of a pod that occupies three regional bids, as a result the other good teams in their pod are going to concentrate towards the other two regional qualifying spots.

I do not agree,' The speedbumps to a state title might be a tad higher and a bit more frequent in SWO, but the result would still be the same: another state title for Ignatius.

In the final poll, 4 of the top 7 were NEO schools.
However, Ignatius has faced none of them until the State Semifinals should they reach that game.

Here are seeds for your District Title; extremely weak!

PARMA Seed: 30
GRAFTON MIDVIEW Seed: 19
LORAIN Seed: 29
29 1
NORTH RIDGEVILLE Seed: 14
NORTH ROYALTON Seed: 16
NORTH ROYALTON Seed: 16
MEDINA HIGHLAND Seed: 17
SHAKER HTS. Seed: 13 - played for the District Title

Reg Semi Final WOOSTER Seed: 5

You do know that Ignatius doesn’t choose their opponents for the tournament, right? They pick a bracket and everyone else slots themselves where they want. Is it any surprise that teams are going to avoid playing them as long as they can if possible?

Their schedule throughout the regular season is as good as anyone. Heck, they played three teams that were nationally ranked this season.