Federal League Sports site

dawgdaze

All, I am considering building my own site (similar to this) which will be nothing but varsity Federal League sports. I would like to have rosters, pictures, stats, results, etc. along with a forum. While I realize this would be a huge undertaking, I have a few questions. (Before I ask the questions, I want to state that my intention is to compliment this site, and NOT to compete with it. So here it goes,
Do you think you would visit the site?
Since I live in the Canton area, it would be hard to get info about Boardman and Fitch. Would other members be able to send me the info I need?
Would other members (parents, etc.) be able to send me pictures?
I guess my big question is will I get info from others? I DON"T want to have an incomplete site.
Lastly, while my time is not important, I don't want to lose a bunch of money on the hosting, etc. Would it be possible to make about a dollar a day off of the potential advertising on the site?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with that.

But what you're doing here is using yappi as a means of launching your own competitive website.

Note: merely saying that you're not a competitor doesn't make it so.

Would you want someone coming on to your website asking for people to go away from it and go to THEIR WEBSITE? I mean you know, since they aren't competitors.:shrug: :(

And you want to USE the power of yappi members to compile the content of your site?

Not competitors? Please. I'm sure you're intentions were not to be unethical. But using someone's website and that audience to build your own content and audience are unethical and will only be allowed until the administrators of this site get wind of it.

Just a friendly little note. You aren't the first to employ this strategy and won't be the last, for sure. But it won't be tolerated.

BTW, the obstacles you named are legit and they are immense.

We already have one that is underway. www.fedsports.com There had been some turmoil to it when the original webmaster handed it off to another guy to run, but it is now back in the hands of the actual owner/original webmaster. He's got it turned back on and told me earlier this week that it should be up and running at full speed very shortly.

Personally, I am kind of an unofficial historian of the Federal League. Since this time last year, I have spent hundreds of hours researching all of the game results, history and coaches of each of the 19 members of the league, past and present. This has include a complete archive of every game ever played by all 19 members, whether they were a FL member or not in any given year.

Right now, that research is all the way back into 1930 for most teams, and even earlier for some. My only big gaps left are for Alliance, Boardman, New Philly, and Wooster. About 95% of the data I've collected has been put in Excel form, and I'm simultaneously verifying all of it.

If anyone ever has a question about any history, result or coaching info from any of the league's members, hit me up and ask - I'd be glad to share the info.

Anyhow - all of my data will eventually be found on that fedsports.com site. Tentantively, I'd like to finish it all by the end of this season, maybe even earlier.